Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I cannot say that I care for the traditional English breakfast. It is nasty. It's really nice to be back in my own kitchen, with a proper spice cupboard and knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

Gambling and McDuck wines are loving tits. Their Chenin Blanc was one of my favorite parts of the last restaurant I worked at.

they're really nice people too. after we had their cab franc (and chatted with the chef who was apparently friends with them), we gave them a call the next morning and asked if we could tour their vineyards. Adam was like 'sorry, I'm really busy today, but if you wanna taste some wine you can come by our house around 6 and let's have a drink'. It was completely awesome, he was really friendly, we opened 4 bottles of wine, had a chat for an hour about how they started doing what they were doing, and left feeling like rockstars. getting their wine club shipments is exciting as poo poo. :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Echeveria posted:

I cannot say that I care for the traditional English breakfast. It is nasty.

You are a wrong person with wrong opinions hth.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

they're really nice people too. after we had their cab franc (and chatted with the chef who was apparently friends with them), we gave them a call the next morning and asked if we could tour their vineyards. Adam was like 'sorry, I'm really busy today, but if you wanna taste some wine you can come by our house around 6 and let's have a drink'. It was completely awesome, he was really friendly, we opened 4 bottles of wine, had a chat for an hour about how they started doing what they were doing, and left feeling like rockstars. getting their wine club shipments is exciting as poo poo. :)

That's awesome.

Re English breakfast, I don't eat porky stuff but I imagine if it's all done WELL then it's great.

I hear you about sharp knives. If I am travelling and we will be cooking I bring a couple of our own.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You are a wrong person with wrong opinions hth.

Beans, grilled tomato, black pudding, and wrong bacon.

Real breakfast is Eggs, toast, (cured) bacon, hashbrowns and/or pancakes and fruit.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm quite fond of the sort of lovely full english breakfasts you get in greasy spoons in London that serve breakfast all day for about four or five quid. Five fifty with blood sausage. Bonus points if they overfill the tea so it spills out of the chipped cup.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I'm probably just not used to it, but that's all that was offered anywhere, except the odd eggs benny, which inevitably was just eggs benny, with no hashbrowns or fruit or toast. It was very unusual for me. Breakfast menu's here are vast and have tons of options. All the other meal options were great.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's a lot of little Englanders who feel very odd if there's not beans and toast at breakfast time, thus the universality. If you wanted variety there was always kippers or kedgeree.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

therattle posted:

I hear you about sharp knives. If I am travelling and we will be cooking I bring a couple of our own.
I've done the same, but recently I bought a spyderco, and will bring that in the future.

I want to leave the world a sharper place.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Echeveria posted:

Beans, grilled tomato, black pudding, and wrong bacon.

Real breakfast is Eggs, toast, (cured) bacon, hashbrowns and/or pancakes and fruit.

I would argue that Mexican breakfast is the platonic ideal of breakfast, and that real breakfast should therefore contain eggs, chorizo, refried beans, tortillas, salsa, and black coffee.

Or, breakfast should just be chilaquiles, every day.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Real Mexican breakfast is grabbing a concha and hastily eating it while driving.

Where this is superior to American breakfast is that at some point, someone remembered to buy conchas.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I've done the same, but recently I bought a spyderco, and will bring that in the future.

I want to leave the world a sharper place.

I've thought of bringing my whetstone but gently caress spending holiday time making somebody's lovely abused knives a little bit less intolerable.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
English breakfast is great, other then the sad rear end beans.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

American breakfast is the king since it's all done in a pan in like 12 min.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I don't eat a lot of breakfast but when I do I go to the Cajun place and get a skillet of red beans with a scoop of grits in it, poached eggs, hollandaise, and grilled andouille with a biscuit

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Xoidanor posted:

American breakfast is the king since it's all done in a pan in like 12 min.

I can think of a bunch of American breakfast, but nothing I would define as the standard meal. Are you talking about eggs, bacon, and toast?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I can think of a bunch of American breakfast, but nothing I would define as the standard meal. Are you talking about eggs, bacon, and toast?

I was thinking an omelet? Onion, bacon/sausage, tomatoes/we else in the pan. Eggs in, cheese in the middle, fold onto plate.

Either way, you all are wrong. Chinese breakfast best breakfast. Congee, century egg, sardines in black bean sauce, pickles, chinese donut. Savory tofu pudding. Comes with the benefit of not having to cook in the morning cause congee keeps so well and everything else is preserved.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

pile of brown posted:

I don't eat a lot of breakfast but when I do I go to the Cajun place and get a skillet of red beans with a scoop of grits in it, poached eggs, hollandaise, and grilled andouille with a biscuit

This sounds amazing and I'm going to have to find it in my area.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

drat, another Serious Eats redesign. Now it just looks like pinterest or some poo poo. Ugh. http://www.seriouseats.com

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

american breakfasts involve no fewer than the following items :

• eggs
  • meat
  • caffeine

there can be other poo poo like waffles or biscuits or hashbrowns or cheese on the eggs or pancakes or whatever, but it's gotta have eggs and salty meat or it ain't no gonna be no goddamn american breakfast. I'd throw tea or coffee in there too. and orange or grapefruit juice, but that's just me and I'm getting a little flouncy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Crusty Nutsack posted:

drat, another Serious Eats redesign. Now it just looks like pinterest or some poo poo. Ugh. http://www.seriouseats.com

more like click bait. I never read the site so I guess I'm not torn up about it.

TeriYaki Burgers Arent Amazing But They're Great. Here's Why.

loving the word 'here's' should be banned from the internet, I'm not even joking. also all caps titles.

"Here's What We Know About The Latest Mass Shooting"
"Here's An Amazing Puppy. You Won't Believe What Happens Next!"
"A Mom Finds A Secret Cops Hate. Here's Her Secret."

asdffffffffffffffffffkmlmlmlmlmlmlmlmlmlmlmlmlmlsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfmklmklmklmklmklmklmklmklmklmklmklmklmklsdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasdfnklalnanlnlanlandkfsajfanlskdnfnffffffffffffffffds;af,sd.c/sc. s/ac sacs. cvmvpew;'./asfmdg tn323#$@reklsdfmvl;
:negative:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

more like click bait. I never read the site so I guess I'm not torn up about it.

TeriYaki Burgers Arent Amazing But They're Great. Here's Why.

How to eat seriously: salad, burger, skewer, salad, pizza, burger, shrimp cocktail, pizza.

Edit: His Eminence J. Kenji López-Alt explains that Cartagena-Style Ceviche is the Deep Dish Pizza of Shrimp Cocktails.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
My one food-lover shame is that I don't like eggs :negative: I've never liked the taste or the texture and no matter how many times I try them I just can't stomach them. This means every time I go out for breakfast with friends while they're all raving about the amazing things on the menu I'm thinking "hmm, do I want a BLT or a bowl of muesli?" There's one Thai place in the city that does amazing Thai breakfasts and it's great because most of it doesn't have egg as the main component of the dish and none of my friends ever want to eat there because the idea of eating Thai for breakfast is too much for them to handle.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

mindphlux posted:

It used to be good :(

and yes Kenji was mainly the reason why but even he's been watered down and turned lovely lately. I wish he'd just leave SE already, all the other good people have

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

How to eat seriously: salad, burger, skewer, salad, pizza, burger, shrimp cocktail, pizza.

Edit: His Eminence J. Kenji López-Alt explains that Cartagena-Style Ceviche is the Deep Dish Pizza of Shrimp Cocktails.

amen :hfive:

cyberia posted:

My one food-lover shame is that I don't like eggs

its cool to just admit you don't like food you know, no one here cares

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

mindphlux posted:

amen :hfive:

its cool to just admit you don't like food you know, no one here cares

Yeah, I know, that's why I posted. It just sucks because all my friends are always like, 'yay breakfast, woo' and there's a big breakfast cafe culture in my city and I'm the guy getting the 'toast with jam' option while everyone else has amazing dishes :chef:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Echeveria posted:

I cannot say that I care for the traditional English breakfast. It is nasty. It's really nice to be back in my own kitchen, with a proper spice cupboard and knives.

Proper English breakfast is great. I wish I had a good spot for puddings around here.

pile of brown posted:

This sounds really great, drat. I already sometimes use my leftover red beans with a fried or poached egg in the am. All that other stuff sounds wonderful.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

cyberia posted:

Yeah, I know, that's why I posted. It just sucks because all my friends are always like, 'yay breakfast, woo' and there's a big breakfast cafe culture in my city and I'm the guy getting the 'toast with jam' option while everyone else has amazing dishes :chef:

Eggs have grown on me a bit, but I'm still not a huge fan. A fried or scrambled egg with bacon for breakfast is great, or on eggs benny, but in soup or salad, I can't do it. I think everyone has the odd food quirk, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Crusty Nutsack posted:

It used to be good :(

and yes Kenji was mainly the reason why but even he's been watered down and turned lovely lately. I wish he'd just leave SE already, all the other good people have

I think Kenji's just spread too thin...he's like their most prolific contributor (and easily their best talent) and was also working hard on his book, which I'm looking forward too.

Serious Eats has definitely gone downhill content-wise since they decided to focus more on long-form pieces and drastically cut the number of daily posts, but there's still occasionally some good poo poo. I really dislike the latest redesign but if you click on "Latest" at the bottom, the layout is similar to the old one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Egg yolk is objectively delicious and anyone who insists on hard-cooked yolks is insane.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Egg yolk is objectively delicious and anyone who insists on hard-cooked yolks is insane.

I, too, enjoy making blanket proclamations about things that people feel different about than myself.

Eggs are weird- loved them as a kid, have had a tough time coming around to them as an adult, despite my love of all things savory. Hot sauce helps, though the thing is, I make killer omelettes for the morning after. Go figure. It's some kind of savant thing.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The Midniter posted:

Serious Eats has definitely gone downhill content-wise since they decided to focus more on long-form pieces and drastically cut the number of daily posts, but there's still occasionally some good poo poo. I really dislike the latest redesign but if you click on "Latest" at the bottom, the layout is similar to the old one.

Serious Eats: Just put it in a loving waffle iron already.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

I think Kenji's just spread too thin...he's like their most prolific contributor (and easily their best talent) and was also working hard on his book, which I'm looking forward too.

ah, didn't see that button before, thanks

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

esperantinc posted:

Serious Eats: Just put it in a loving waffle iron already.

It's funny to watch Chef Steps and Serious Eats chase each other in the game of "who can fall all over the most "hip" and "cool" in cooking fads hardest", and I say that even though I like both (and can see where Chef Steps has their kitchen from my office window).

As for the people in the Chef Steps videos, welcome to Seattle, most people under the age of 40 either look like that or desperately want to look like that around here.

:bahgawd:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

therattle posted:

I always bring a chef's knife, cutting board, and kitchen towels on vacation at a bare minimum.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bloody ghost titty posted:

I, too, enjoy making blanket proclamations about things that people feel different about than myself.

careful mate, he's talking about eggs y'ken?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
case study in why I don't use recipes : "add a Tablespoon or so of Sriracha (or other Korean garlic-hot pepper sauce)"

-_-
girl plz

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Explain? Is it because sriracha is Thai, not Korean? Or one tablespoon of it isn't gonna do poo poo in most recipes? Please, I'd love to understand the bounds of your 'tism ;)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

I always bring a chef's knife, cutting board, and kitchen towels on vacation at a bare minimum.

Ooh, cutting board. Good idea. Last holiday I ended up buying a board. I've got some decent-sized quite thin boards that don't weigh much or take up space. I might take those too. I just take my santoku (chef knife is a heavy 10" beast) and 5" paring knife. Covers most requirements. I might take a bread knife next time too: ended up buying one of those on holiday too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

The Midniter posted:

Explain? Is it because sriracha is Thai, not Korean? Or one tablespoon of it isn't gonna do poo poo in most recipes? Please, I'd love to understand the bounds of your 'tism ;)

I'm going to go with Sriracha is not Sambal, is not Garlic-Chili Sauce, is not gochujuang, is not etc.