Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The most important Remnant in the world is probably, like, the only reason anyone has an atmosphere, or maybe drinkable water.

Anyway, it seems like the Conqueror's forces have been doing their own level-grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Going from that one thing Irina said while talking about the Remnant detecting Remnant, the most important Remnant in the world is one that can change things around it of its own accord rather than being used or ordered by an external entity, and being a Remnant itself, it can interact with other Remnants in interesting (and incredibly destructive) ways.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 14, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The most important remnant is you the player.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Keeping in mind the title of the game, and assuming there's no wordplay tricks being done on important vs useful, the most important remnant is the one that can turn off / nullify all other remnants.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
The most important remnant is friendship and believing in yourself and the power of the heart.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Szurumbur posted:

The most important remnant is friendship and believing in yourself and the power of the heart.

This.

Picked this up in the last Steam sale, thanks for explaining all the bullshit mechanics.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
The most important Remnant is the Chrono Trigger

Honestly I feel like the game completely telegraphed this one when the Lynx man pretty much told you

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

It is the most important Remnant in all of the world.

Previously:

Chapter XXXIX: Oh dear... I'd already gotten up to 263 fishies, even...

Kosmosfest Staff: Okay, the job's real simple. I just need you to find a girl and bring her here to town.
…Just any girl, or do you mean someone specifically?
Kosmosfest Staff: See, everyone in town's getting ready for a big celebration called the Kosmosfest. It's an ancient festival that's been held for hundreds of years. However, for some reason this year's Cosmos Maiden hasn't made it yet. Folks in town have started wondering if she's okay, but we're so busy getting things ready that we don't have time to go look for her.

Look, aren't they cute? I've been counting the killifishes! There sure are a lot of them, though... I'm a little tired!
Sounds tough. Good luck!
Thanks—I'll do my best! Augh! I lost my place! Oh dear... I'd already gotten up to 263 fishies, even...
1...2...3... Aww, come onnn, guys, quit moving around so much, okay?
...You the Cosmos Maiden?
Hey, how'd you guess? My name's Sheryl. Ever since I was little, I've wanted to be the Cosmos Maiden... I can't believe they picked me! Lucky, huh? *giggle* Oh no, I almost forgot! I can't do this now, I've got to get to Nagapur!

Chapter XLV: This… is the power of Marion’s blessing?

This… is the power of Marion’s Blessing?

This is what the city map for Nagapur looked like before the Gwayn devastated it.

Music: Life Without Remnants

This is what it looks like afterwards.

It’s okay. I’m here.

Market Lady: All we could do was stand and watch while our town went up in flames…

There’ve been a lot of cases of kids going missing from town lately. My niece being one of them…
That’s terrible...
I’ve been doing some searching of my own, but no luck. Dammit! I can’t open up shop with this hanging over my head.

Gwayn-Gazing Man: The town would have been destroyed by the Conqueror if the Gwayn hadn’t done what it did.
You mean, worse than it was?
Gwayn-Gazing Man: I want to believe… No, I do believe that the Gwayn was trying to protect us from them.
(Thank you.)

Waiting Qsiti: As long as I live in this town, I’ll never be able to forget what happened. This town is absolutely desolate now. So many people have left in fear of the same thing happening again.
I can’t blame them.
Waiting Qsiti: I’m not one of them, though, I was born here. This is my home. No one could ever get me to leave, no matter what happens.

I’ve traveled here with my friends from Ghor through the Heroic Ramparts. It’s hard to believe the state of this town.

This store sells the last of the item types.

Shards are the heavy hitters of the Item Arts. They are AREA-EFFECT attacks, like Caustic Blast. But they are also very expensive to use – look at that one which costs 740 G per shard. That’s 74,000 for a full inventory of them. Some can range as high as 1,400 G per (140,000). You’ll be wanting a whole lot of G if you plan on making these a staple of your arsenal.

Except you can’t really anyway. They are only sold in Nagapur, nowhere else, and even then, you can’t even get access to all the shard types until almost literally the end of the game (although many types will be available about halfway through Disc 2).

We have no one in the party currently who can use Shards except NG+ Rush, so we’ll have to wait before we see those.

Trendy Girl: Isn’t that exciting?
Bartender: Tranquility and silence transform memories into beasts.
Trendy Girl: Did something bad happen to you in the past?

Pub Regular: Barkeep, you going to stay here and run the pub? I’m going to leave town with my family. But before I go, I wanted to tell you something. That old man who looked familiar to me…

Pub Regular: I finally figured out who he is. He’s the previous lord, Oswald Hermeien! But I guess it doesn’t matter now.

I never thought the Gwayn would be capable of anything like this. I thought it was the strongest of them all. Well, I suppose it proved its powers. I just didn’t think it would happen like this…

Never thought the day would come when I’d be working for you.

Jager hangs out in the bar for his personal chats.

What in the God Emperor’s up with this!?
What?
Ever since the Duke of Ghor became chairman of the Congress, the people of Ghor Castle have been acting so pompuous! I doubt the duke will be in charge for long, though. That yama can’t fill the shoes of our Lord Hermeien!
Yeah, the power-hungry, meglomaniacal, whacko shoes. That’s a real shame.

Waitress: Many lost their lives in the Gwayn debacle, and the pub has lost a lot of customers, too. And the ones who do come here all look so solemn. Though there is a silver lining to what happened. Ever since Lord Hermeien passed, that black-hooded gang hasn’t been around. Now this place will be a perfect spot for those to mourn in peace.

Alright, let’s just get on with the sidequest.

Yeah, maybe a big party might help lift everyone’s spirits!
Kosmosfest Staff: Although that doesn’t mean this is going to be a wild party. We’re going to pray quietly along the Calm Shores for world peace. Speaking of which, I have a task for you. To make this festival a success and to ensure the maiden’s safety, I’d like for someone to rid the Calm Shores of monsters.
I’ve killed monsters before.
Kosmosfest Staff: Not just one or two – I want you to defeat them all. Will you do it for the festival’s sake?
I’m on it!
Kosmosfest Staff: I knew I could count on you! I want you to head to Fornstrand immediately. The festival’s success lies in your hands.
Accepted quest: Kosmosfest

Music: Breakers on the Shore

Sheryl! You remember who I am!
I’m kinda nervous, but I can do this! Once you defeat all these monsters, I’m going to start the festival!

Kosmosfest just started, but there are a bunch of monsters in the area and the Maiden can’t concentrate. Time to take some action!

This mission is pretty straightforward, just kill all the enemies in this zone (no need to clear all of Fornstrand, just this one map).

If you watch the videos, you might notice that I tend to spend a bit of time comparing each battle command with each union. I’m not doing that because I’m worried about using the wrong battle command and getting steamrolled. Usually, it’s because I’m trying to maximize the number of battle commands that each union gets, because that increases how fast they learn and upgrade arts.

They just keep coming!
I… tire of this fighting…

class changed to Adept Paladin!
learned Nimble Moulinet!

At the time of Kosmosfest, the water at Fornstrand glows and sparkles.

I hit BR 41 here.

I missed that chest the first time I was here. It has some G and Charm Recipe #6.

class changed to Lordly Mysticknight!
class changed to Lordly Paladin!
learned Confuse IV!
learned Nimble Devil’s Due IV!
learned:
  • Nimble Cascade Strike!
  • Nimble Cascade Strike II!

That seems to be all of them, so let’s head back.

- Video: Kosmosfest

Once all the crabs are dead, a Death spawns to be the final encounter. I’ve been trying to run more of these fights on Turbo, so I didn’t turn it off here.

Paralyze means you can’t use Combat Arts.

Discharge is one of the Oculus’s special arts.

X-Ray vision is another.

Woah! Chill… chill guys, just… chill!

This isn’t much of a miniboss.

And done.

learned Restore II!
learned Restorative Tincture II!

Yeah…
Countless lights gather together to become one Remnant. The Remnant itself doesn’t do anything. It can’t fight monsters or bad guys.
But this Remnant that is left here has a beauty that awes and inspires people. This Remnant Syltique

You really think so?
If it weren’t for this magnificent piece of art, the world would be a place of war and nothing but war. The Syltique tells us… Tells us that there’s so much more. The world has its horrors, but it also has good and beauty.
Huh… I never thought about it like that before.

And the Syltique fades away again – until next year. I do think Sheryl’s comments here are interesting. Remnants were created by unknown beings for unknown purposes. Most of the ones we’ve seen are used as dangerous weapons. When I posed the question of most important Remnant to the thread, most of the answers I got back were also basically “the ones which can be used to control” or “ones which sustain life on the planet”.

Whatever created the Remnants didn’t make all of them just to wage wars. There are some which are merely objects of art.

Music: Life Without Remnants

Kosmosfest Staff: This festival is important because through it, we’re trying to convey that war is meaningless and unnecessary.
I know everyone will realize that. And when they do, the world will be a peaceful place.
Kosmosfest Staff: Or no one will realize that and the world will fall to pieces.
I won’t let that happen! I can’t!
Kosmosfest Staff: I’m just kidding, Sheryl.
Kosmosfest Staff: Here, take this.
Reward: Sapphire Crystal x2, Snowy Crystal x2, 5000 G.
If you ever need assistance, Rush, don’t be shy to ask for my help. You can find me in the guild. My goal now is to tell the entire world about those poor fishies! If there’s a war, those fishies will die!
Err… sure.
They’re so adorable, but I’m exhausted from counting them all! There must have been a hundred of them!
Completed quest: Kosmosfest

The Kosmosfest was a huge success. The Syltique taught us that the world wasn’t created so we could fight each other.

Let’s pick Sheryl up.

Sheryl

Kosmosfest's Cosmos Maiden. Absent-minded or empty-headed. Wishes to rid the world of war.

Class: Master Marksman
Initial BR: BR 41
HP: (563)
Str / Int: (31 / 43)
Union Name: Sheryl’s Friends

Current Arts
  • Evocations: (Mystic Missile III, Flash Arrow III, Silencer II, Eclipse II, Snare Shot)
Future Arts
  • Hexes @ BR 51
  • Lotions @ BR 63
  • Arcana: Whiteout

Comments
Recruitable after completing two quests. She doesn’t seem all that impressive, only knowing Evocations at the start, so I never bothered on my first playthrough. Her stats aren’t exactly wowing me either. By the time you can get her other arts, you should have better Hex and Lotion users already. I smell the aroma of bench-warmer. Still though, since she starts out knowing Snare Shot, she can immediately learn the Whiteout Arcana, which I guess is something. Still, if you’ve been using Evocations on your units, some of them should also be this far by now.

Tags: Mystic, Arcana, Worthless

She starts out at BR 41, which is why I suddenly wanted to pick her up after gaining all that BR from component collecting and Yvalock hunting. Her STR and INT are unimpressive, so she’s probably not going to see much use, but she starts out with Snare Shot, which is all she needs to learn the arcana Whiteout. She is going to temporarily replace David as the leader for a bit, though.

Yeah?
The same sun shines through the blue skies, causing shadows behind the buildings. My town was not rich, but there was an abundance of happiness and joy. I wish I could go see it with my own eyes once more...

Is everything all right?

Sheryl can be found near the entrance to Nordenalm.

Sure, no prob.
Props, man. That’s chill.

I’d actually intended to equip it onto Rush, but I forgot. Jager’s not a bad choice either. I can craft something as good or better for Rush anyway. Now we’re off to do the main plot next. And possibly a sidequest as well in the same update – I’m not sure yet.

New Arts Summary
class changed to Adept Paladin!
learned Confuse IV!
learned:
  • Nimble Moulinet!
  • Nimble Devil’s Due IV!
class changed to Lordly Mysticknight!
class changed to Lordly Paladin!
learned:
  • Nimble Cascade Strike!
learned Restore II!
learned Restorative Tincture II!

Kosmosfest

Discussion: Most of the thread had quite a different idea of what the most important Remnant in the world is – trying to interpret it literally. Was Sheryl’s answer a good one?

Next Time: This power he sent… it’s eating away at me… from within!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 11, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well that was unexpected.
But nice :unsmith:.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I bet that remnant actually does something important, like keeping the water habitable for fish. We will just never know.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Her answer was at least Not Bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I like Sheryl, she's a decent human being trying to help people in her own way and not in the usual Anime Pacifist way of just screaming everyon down and then beating them up if they disagree.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I know. I know everything about you.

Previously:

Chapter XXIV: So it’s come to war…

You see, it's almost the anniversary of my sister's death... Every year, I like to bring flowers to her grave to mark the occasion. But those flowers, animaquies, only grow in the farthest depths of Darken Forest. I'm not very strong and barely can get through the forest alive. But a few years ago, this guy offered to pick them for me, and he's been doing me the favor ever since. It's taking him an awfully long time to come back with the flowers this year, though. I'm getting worried that something happened. Can you find him for me?

Hello, what’s this?
The Letter: As death creeps close, I write my last thoughts in this journal in hope that someone finds it. Every year, I come to Darken Forest to pick flowers for a young man. I must atone for my sins - for letting curiosity get the best of me and using ancient powers to play with people's souls. However, my biggest sin is hiding that fact - that truth - from him, from his eyes. Rhagoh, I'm sorry. That accident was... Your sister is now... If only I had the courage to tell him the truth. The only way for me to rid myself of guilt may be death. Should I have told him about the goddess statue? I hope my choice does not cause him and his sister further suffering... (The words are faded and cannot be made out).

My brother sent you, didn't he? Go back and tell him to forget about me.

What!? You saw a woman who fits Kate's description in the depths of Darken Forest? That's ridiculous... How is that possible? Thank you for the tip. I'll look into it right away.

It’s time for the main plot… Errr… what was it again?

It’s awfully strange for all the Lords to get sick at the same time. I have a bad feeling about this.
Geez-oh-Pete… Sure, the Lords are important and all, but how come we’ve gotta find out what’s wrong with ‘em? I thought that’s what doctors were for…
If this trend of illnesses continues, I worry for Lord David’s health…
It seems that most of the Lords have been struck by sudden and fierce illnesses. I cannot believe this is just coincidence. We must look into this further.

Right, that. There’s only one Lord unaccounted for: Duke Qubine of Celapaleis. So let’s go there.

You have to sell captured monsters and such to shopkeepers to improve your hidden “Commerce Points” rating, after which they’ll sell you better things. Thankfully, it doesn’t matter which shopkeeper you sell to.

If I can’t use the Wishing Coin, I may as well get a better +AP item than the old outdated one I have on. Okay, shopping done.

Music: Glittering Gold

What is it now?
Friendly Man: Why? …You don’t know!? Poor Duke Qubine has fallen ill. According to the travelers on the Way, he’s grown weaker every day… Damnnation, is there nothing we can do?

The rumor going around is that that bright light from a while back was Nagapur's Remnant going crazy and destroying the city. I've also heard that Lord Qubine's been feeling poorly lately. Is Celapaleis going to be destroyed just like Nagapur was? We'll be alright, right?

Ever since Lord Qubine's health began to fail, I've been loath to look at the sky. At times... It seems like the Umbermarici will glimmer with an odd, off-color glow... No - forget I said anything! That's impossible, it must be my imagination...

Err… pretty much?
I hear at the Amber that soldiers from the Conqueror's army were spotted in the woods to the north. I don't want to believe such a rumor, but... Adding to that, Lord Qubine is ill... Terrible things are all around, it seems...
To the north? No, I haven’t heard that. Interesting…

Legend-Loving Child: Hey mister, what'll we do? I heard some rumors about the nobles... like, that the Duke is real sick! What if he has to break his bind with the Umbermarici - and it makes everybody turn bad like in the old days? I don't want that to happen! Stupid Umbermarici!

Lord Qubine's condition is getting worse by the day. Until now, the prime minister and army leaders have strutted like the cocks of the walk... Now they run around like their heads were cut off. They're completely worthless - without a ruler they can do nothing. But, we, the people of Celapaleis, can do little more... All that's left is to hope and pray for Lord Qubine's recovery...

Dammit... Duke Qubine's gotten sick, and the town's gone to hell along with him... And to make matters worse, the new Congress chairman is the damned Duke of Ghor! How a meathead like that became chairman's a mystery to me - and anyone with half a brain.

You haven’t told me much about her.
Kate died in a terrible accident. I wasn't able to save her... I... I just... Ah-ahh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring up such a heavy topic...

Hey, you don't need to look so sorry for me. This all happened a long time ago...

Hello? You look kinda spaced out.
Ugh, men, always harping on about the past... You. Who are you, Rush or whatever? Tell this bonehead to hurry up and get over me, alright?
Wait, what?

...What...did I just black out? Urg... I'm sorry, I don't seem to be feeling well. Could you leave me alone for a while?
Uhh… yeah.
Even though she died years ago, I just can’t get Kate out of my head… I’m sure if she were here, she’d fuss at me for being foolish.

So that’s something interesting that’s up with Kate. In fact, if you go back to Rhagoh’s first quest (“A Single Soul”), and look at the scene where you see “Kate” in the foggy Darken Forest…

…You’ll see that is clearly NOT Rhagoh – different outfit and different body shape. So who knows what the gently caress is going on.

Gossipy Girl: That’s the latest scoop, anyway!
Bartendress: Ah, maybe I can help out. I’ve tossed around plenty of rocks.
Gossipy Girl: Not the ones here, special ones!
Huh, I’ve got a few funny rocks.

Talking with Glenys a second time in the last update has unlocked another quest for us in Nagapur. We’ll get to it in time. It’s a big one. Really big.

The beloved daughter of Celapaleis' storied house of Gilles-Barre, Violet… She is noble as the rose. Just the sight of her fighting for the glory of her family, continuing the work her late father carried for so long, moves my heart…
Am I supposed to be surprised?

Shall I be frank for a moment?
What the -? What happened to your accent?
I'm the third son of a poor family from Athlum. There was no place for me in my home, so I fled at my first opportunity. However, on my own I realized I had little with which to make my way. As you know well, my skill lies not in acts of valor. My single talent is a pretty face.
(No poo poo.)
Heh, no need to look so surprised. Act how I may, I have a full understanding of the reality of my situation. And I have taken advantage of it as well. Thus I have made my way through the world by pleasuring ladies and romancing maidens. Never has one captured my heart. Never before now… Violet… For some reason I cannot keep her from my thoughts. This has never happened before…
I’m not gonna start passing notes between you two.
Forgive my going on. If nothing else, this is no conversation for children. Though, I had imagined Baron Nielsen to be a base cur, while in truth he is surprisingly broad-minded… Ah, I must let it go. Rush, forgive my candidness. I had not intended to speak of such odd things. Though, you are a surprisingly good listener. It is appreciated.
Err, thanks. I guess.
Rush. Once again I pledge myself to your service. I promise to work to the best of my abilities. As for the extent of those abilities, I make no guarantees.
Parameter Bonus! You have become chummy with Gabriel, thus awakening his true powers!
Gabriel’s SPD has increased by 5%!

That’s not very much. Anyway, there’s little else we can do here, so let’s head to the castle.

- Video: Duke Qubine’s is unwell

My Lord!

Irina?

You… must… be… Irina S-Sykes. I’ve… heard… many things… about you…

Ugh!

I feel some kind of power flowing into him. It feels like… almost like a Remnant!
What? I don’t understand! How can that be?
*shakes her head in an “Don’t ask me” manner*

This… must be part of… someone’s… plan!

This power he sent… it’s eating away at me… from within! Trying to control me! And through it… I can feel him!

DAVID!! Can’t you… feel it?!

AAAAHH!

Thank you…

We must head to Ghor castle and report our findings to the Duke.
Yes, my Lord! Okay!
David, promise me… you will not tell that old bat… about my current condition. Because… I will… never… hear the end of it.
Understood.

Someone, anyone – Can no one bring a healer that might help?
The other Lords have tried, but haven’t had any luck either.

What’s up?
For a long time I felt that if only Duke Qubine was gone, the Gilles-Barres family would recover its land, its riches, and most importantly, its honor. But I've finally realized that those things are not truly what I've been hoping to get back all this time.
So what is it, then?
What I really wanted was my mother and father, and the happy times we spent together. That's what I've been chasing all this time. Odd, isn't it? Even if my house were returned to its former standing right now, it would not undo the past...
Yeah…
The thing I've most wanted is not something I can take by force. But at the same time, it's something that already exists in my heart. It's up to me to keep the memories I have left... It's up to me to live up to them. I've been a fool...
... Rush...thank you for allowing me to say all this. In explaining myself, I feel like I've finally begun to heal...
Parameter Bonus! You have become chummy with Violet, thus awakening her true powers!
Violet’s INT has increased by 3%!

Violet’s parameter boost, with her current stats, boosts her INT by a whopping 3% - which amounts to 1 point at her current stats. Yay. We’re not done with Celapaleis yet – since we’re here, and have a lot of time, we may as well do a sidequest.

Rhagoh? No… that’s not you, is it.
I mean, look at this guy. Rhagoh's been letting himself be haunted by the past for years. What a pathetic little brother... It'd be a hell of a lot easier for us both if he'd just forget about me and move on.
Whoever you are, you’re kinda freakin’ me out.

Rush...? When did you get here? I was having a dream about my sister Kate. She told me I should forget about her... But-that was just a dream, right?
Maybe you need – maybe we ALL need a drink in the tavern…

Huh? Where’d this come from?
I received the key from a man who frequently went there to pick certain flowers. I don't know why he had the key or why he gave it to me, but I'm grateful that he did. Rush, will you do me a favor and come with me to the ruins? I have to see my sister again!
That’s just a story…
Why would you say that!?
Okay, let’s go!
Thank you! I’m ready to leave right away!
Accepted quest: Kate and Rhagoh

You’ll notice that I’ve changed the union configuration again. Most notably, Caedmon has joined the Mystics union. Right now, Caedmon’s Herbs have landed him into the Scout class. He can leave it, but that’ll require his Mystic Arts to become balanced with the item arts, so I’ve turned off everything but his Evocations.

But taking a combat unit away means that I just don’t have enough units to sustain 4 Combat unions, so Irina’s has been dissolved. Torgal has temporarily been demoted to make room for Rhagoh to lead a union for the very last time.

Music: Creeping Shadows

Okay.

Rhagoh from Celapaleis asked me to help him find the goddess statue in the Robelia Ruins so he can see his sister again.

This is the first time we’ve been back to Robelia in ages. The basement entrance is not far at all. It’s just above Rush’s left shoulder, in fact. You may also notice another area off to the left. It’s unlocked with this quest, but not relevant to it.

This is long and meandering. There are two branches, but the left one just connects to the upstairs portion – we’re not interested in that. We want the room at the far, far end.

Maybe someone wild and crazy, like my sister?
Not really my type.
Or someone petite and cute?
Not really my type.
Or someone energetic and cheerful?
Hook me up!
Interesting…

Here’s where the vote from a couple updates ago comes into play.

Joy, narrow corridors filled with Vile Lizard-type enemies, who almost always agro on you.

Mixed Message is another good morale-boosting art. It doesn’t do damage.

Congratulations, Rhagoh, you contributed. :toot:

class changed to Master Paladin!
learned:
  • Nimble Cascade Strike!

We need to stop by this side room to get a Key Remnant. Because this is a new dungeon, we can also harvest some components from monsters and dig points that were not available elsewhere. Paris can finally get that Ruby Crystal and Rough Leprechaun Stone he’s been complaining about.

Got you good, there!

I hit BR 42. Fighting these enemies does serve a purpose, as they can drop components Blocter and Torgal want.

The hallway is blocked by rubble and a World Map Teleporter, but we can detour through a room.

Both Glenys and Rush want Pest Toxin for their next upgrades, which drops soonest from Pests here.

Let’s clean up this trash!

The more enemies in the field, the better the odds that you’ll get the chance to summon.

Cyclops!

Got you guys now!

I didn’t realize it until now that I really, really overdid the Sheryl battle quotes and images. A couple days passed between writing different portions of the update.

Oho!

Try this on for size!

They may be troublesome.

It can’t be that much longer until he learns Spark V. I mean, Nora learned it and we’ve had Loki a bit longer.

Thanks, Blocter.

We-we can’t defend against them!

Rhagoh’s easy panicking and lack of self-confidence is almost funny enough to want to use him more. But only almost.

More of them? This is bad!

Well done.

I took a gamble and decided to do a full-on attack instead of healing, and it paid off. The other units un the union healed Rhagoh’s Crowd back up.

Sheryl cleans up this bunch.

Dragon Crush is Violet’s new toy. I’m sure I described it before – a low blow into a vertical blow. That’s about all worth screenshotting from this fight, though.

class changed to Lordly Cavalier!

That’s the only art/class change, but there was a bunch of stat growth. Glenys got her two Pest Toxins. Rush will have to come back for his. Yes I could have seized them, but that wouldn’t have changed the math.

Just beyond those Bullfighters is the door to the final area.

Let’s do it!

- Quest Video: Kate and Rhagoh

So when I was young, I played the original Doom, and one of the wall textures in that game was just a bunch of tortured faces all merged together into one horrifying face blob.

This mirror kinda reminds me of that.

I need to find my sister! Where is she!?

Oh, not good.
A Collapse!? Oh no!

Music: Beat the Odds

So, because Rush picked the “Energetic and Cheerful” option, the Collapsing Remnant has spawned groups of Dagon, Gluttons and Oarfish.

If we’d picked Wild and Crazy, we’d have gotten Flauros’, Raptor, and Imps. Petite and Cute would have spawned Grand Beetle, Landworms, and Spiders, and Dark and Mysterious would have gotten us Manhunter, Demon, Weredragon. They’re just slightly tougher versions of normal enemies, not even mini-boss status. I see no point in showing off the different fights.

What’d you expect from a Remnant? A new party member to appear out of nowhere? (If you’re feeling ripped off, I’ll point out that we just got Sheryl, who is nothing if not Energetic and Cheerful.)

Got you guys now!

Obnoxious for the mystic group.

This didn’t hurt much.

Oh, you got him!

This is the type of matchup that turns me on!

Wow!

class changed to Lordly Marksman!

I hit BR 43.

Stabbey posted:

What’d you expect from a Remnant? A new party member to appear out of nowhere?

…Okay, bad example.

Is that you? Is that really you!?

I never stopped believing that this day would come! I knew I would see you again!

Me too, Rhagoh. I know how much time you spent looking for me. I know how alone you felt without me. I know. I know everything about you.
Kate, I…
Stop. Let the past stay in the past. Let’s just concentrate on the future.

THERE’S the statue Rhagoh thought would be here. …Yep, kinda creepy.

Thank you, Rush. I want you to have this.
Reward: Ruby Crystal x2, Emerald Crystal x2, 5000 G.
Oh, and if you ever need some help, my sister’s always willing to lend a hand. You can find her in the guild. Our plan is to earn money now so we can retire early and live out the rest of our lives peacefully.
Completed quest: Kate and Rhagoh
The Remnant Collapsed and Kate came out of nowhere. I guess she wasn’t so dead after all…

Good news, Rhagoh: Your peace starts now, as you are banished to the bench for the rest of the LP.

You on the other hand, are welcome to the party.

Kate

Rhagoh's dead twin sister. But as if in response to his dearest wish, she suddenly reappeared.

Class: Expert Druid
Initial BR: BR 45
HP: (610)
Str / Int: (38 / 43)
Union Name: Kate’s Pack

Current Arts
  • One-Handed: (Knee Splitter III, Cutting Lunge II, Blue Streak)
  • Hexes: (Poison Gas III, Paralyze Gas III, Silent Gas II, Smoke Canister II, Dispirit)
Future Arts
  • Evocations @ BR 52
  • Explosives @ BR 64
  • Arcana: Animalcule

Comments
So she’s back from the dead, I guess? She’s better than her brother, but probably not quite good enough for a spot in the final party. Her stats are unimpressive. She’s recruitable after completing Rhagoh’s second quest, but she’s not required for anything herself, so I never bothered hiring her. Her flag is interesting. It’s called “The Dead”. Read into that what you will.

The only really notable thing about her is that she can learn the Animalcule Arcana for Hexes immediately, thanks to knowing Dispirit. Not a lot of people learn that so that’s notable I guess. On this playthrough though, I’ll be using her pretty heavily to try and get her to learn Cachexia, the top-tier HEX art.

Tags: Combat, Mystic, Arcana

Like Rhagoh, Kate hangs out in Celapaleis’s Lamberro district. She’s so hostile and aggressive that she makes Nora look like the sweet girl next door.

Sure, no prob.
Yay! Thank you!

The Simarrionne is a Remnant we found in the new passage in Blackdale (see Chapter 52A). It’s a Remnant that Sheryl (and ONLY Sheryl) requests. Since - like Sheryl herself - it’s not very good, she can gladly have it.

So, whadda you think I should be training in? Wanna know what you think.
Mystic arts is the way to go.
Okay. For Reya… And, for friends… I’ll give it a shot.

Hmm… Shall I learn Explosives? Or continue with my current studies? Which is the wisest choice?
Try something new!
If you say so. I’ll do my best to make it worthwhile.

I’m disabling this because she is so much better at just hitting things. Besides after what she tried to do to Qubine, I’m afraid to let her near bombs.

Rush, do you have a moment? I can’t decide how I should focus my training…
All-rounder, natch.
Makes sense… I wouldn’t have to choose either way, would I?

Okay, pop quiz, hotshot. You’re an incredible mercenary. What do you focus on.
Combat arts, for sure!
I know, right? Of course, I’ve already mastered pretty much all there is to know about combat.

What should I focus on from now on… -Eh? Just talking to myself, never mind.
Combat arts, for sure!
Yeahhh… that sounds about right.

Do we have time to engage some monsters? It would not do to slack on training.
Sounds like a plan.
Mm. Let’s go.

Sheesh. That’s a lot. I told Rhagoh to split his focus because he’s better at Mystics, but he’s only really good at Remedies, so he needs combat to give him some additional value. it. Even though I’m not actually going to use him.

New Arts Summary
class changed to Master Paladin!
learned:
  • Nimble Cascade Strike!
class changed to Lordly Cavalier!
learned Flash Bomb!

Duke Qubine’s is unwell
Quest: Kate and Rhagoh

Next Time: Ohhh... the guilt.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 11, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And now we have a ghost in our party. Awesome.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Could you say that Ghost Kate is a... remnant of her spirit?

...I'll show myself out

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

GeneralYeti posted:

Could you say that Ghost Kate is a... remnant of her spirit?

...I'll show myself out

No, please don't go, I need all the posters I can get. :(

But seriously, you're actually closer than you might think, although Kate is a little too solid to be a ghost. Kate's bonus talks tend to revolve around what exactly her deal is, and it's kinda interesting and unique.

Next update will be a full main quest update which will give us direction and hints about what the climax of "Act III" will be about. After that we'll be doing more sidequesting to prepare ourselves, because oh boy we'll be needing it. But don't worry, there are only 4 sidequests left before a ton of main plot stuff happens.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 21, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Kate is, yeah, one of the more unique members. Initially I suspected that Kate had simply run away from her brother since she appeared in the woods and lets be honest, if Rhagoh was your brother would you stick around?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Huh. That's a weird quest. Do we get to find out that remnant's deal later? Because this is the first time we've had a bigger-than-a-treasure-chest remnant that hasn't gotten a name. Or at least I don't remember any others.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

What was Act II?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
It wasn't given a name in the quest, but that Remnant is the Flâchonelle. We'll be seeing it again real soon.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What was Act II?

I'm just informally dividing the updates into acts instead of one long list. It's the table of contents at the bottom of the OP. Act I is from the start until the Sacred Lands, because that point is where the game's story first starts to pick up and expand. Act II is from there until the destruction of Nagapur, and Act III is from the start of "Disc 2" (which is also technically meaningless for the Steam version) until...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, it seems like the plot is really ramping up. Every seat of power is being... like... bent to someone's will, and nobody really wants to talk about it? Or are we all assuming it's the Conqueror?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I wouldn't really see them assuming that it is The Conqueror, up to now he's been to everyone but Irina basically a force of nature, he tears off city gates, walks wherever he wants and does things exactly as he wants with an almost total disregard for whatever is going on around him, remote mind control doesn't really fit his MO up to now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

It probably does have something to do with the city remnants. Note that David is fine because he's bound to the Gae Bulg, which doesn't actually 'protect' Athlum like the Valeria Heart did.

If I had to guess I'd put it on Wagram, this seems like his alley.

EDIT: Just confirming I've actually completely forgotten how this plot goes, so I'm not trying to be coy, I'm honestly just guessing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I actually forgot the next scene myself until I recorded it. I know everyone's been really curious about the illnesses and what's coming up, and we'll be learning that as early as today, in fact. Who's excited for that?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Excited to move on with the plot period, I forgot how much the sidequest life just absorbs you in this game. Not that I'm complaining, this game's dense.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Doesn't that describe SaGa games in general?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Ohhh... the guilt.

As if the Conqueror wasn’t enough of a headache, now there’s even more to deal with… For now, we should report to Chairman Ghor and let him deal with this.
I never seen Duke Qubine lookin’ like that before… Usually he’s kinda mouthy and annoying, but now I’m a little worried about him.
Duke Qubine was talking about feeling someone else’s thoughts… what was all that about?
Spooky, isn’t it?
We’d better keep our wits about us, alright, Rush? Don’t get careless!
That uneasy feeling only increases, day by day… I can only hope that I am overestimating the gravity of this situation.
There is something terribly wrong with Duke Qubine. Rush, let’s head to Ghor. The chairman should be informed of this as soon as possible. The warrior town of Ghor is just west of the Heroic Ramparts.

David gives us directions because it’s possible we never went there, it only becomes mandatory now.

Music: The Crumbling Fortress

Our lord can guide even the most lost souls of this chaotic world down the right path. As a citizen of this town, I want to do my part to help out in any way I can.

Being chosen as chairman of the Congress must mean that our lord was deemed fit by all other lords. Everyone's so excited! That pub over there was even open till dawn in celebration! We will fight for our lord whom we believe in from the bottom of our hearts.

Have you been to Nagapur yet?
Yes.
I've seen the aftermath of many battles, but never have I seen anything like what I saw there. I'm a little worried. What if the Bilqis were to do the same thing and cause the same kind of destruction? A small stronghold like this would be destroyed in mere seconds!
(Would anyone be able to tell the difference?)

I can't believe the lord of such a small town is now the Chairman of the Congress! I guess anything can happen. Or maybe all the other cities have come to realize the greatness that is our lord! Hahaha!

Sir! What do you think of this?
Swallowing a bug or two won’t kill anyone!
You’re absolutely right, sir!

That’s a sidequest in Baaluk. We’ll be picking it up pretty soon – probably two chapters or so.

What a thing to happen to Nagapur... I can't help but feel sorry for them.

A whippersnapper like Wilfred Hermeien had no business being Chairman of the Congress in the first place. A fine, upstanding man with a strong sense of duty like our own Lord Ghor is infinitely more suited for the position.

That’s all the news around town. Let’s give our report to the Duke. The video is recommended viewing, if only for the great line delivery.

- Video: Chairmen’s Meeting

So, the urchin from Qubine believes someone is behind this?
Yes, Mr. Chairman.
Wellll… I must admit that he may be correct in his assumption.

Who?!

Music: Hermeien’s Ultimatum

…!

Happy to see me, Duke?

Lord Hermeien?
No way!
I don’t understand!

I hear you nabbed my position as Chairman of the Congress. My, my, haven’t we moved up in the world.

Uhhh…
You okay?
This power… this is what I sensed from the Duke of Qubine!

Yes, yes! This power I obtained from the Remnants is nothing less than extraordinary! I am now what you would call ‘omnipotent’.

I shared this power with the others, but they aren’t reacting to it very well. Apparently, it’s killing them instead.

Ohh… the guilt.
You’re the one behind all this?

But why?!

Your ignorance never ceases to amaze me. I want to rule the world!

Join me, Duke.
Lord Hermeien, I…

My Lord, you must step back! He can not be reasoned with!

A wave flings everyone back.

Rush!
*groan*

My dear maiden of Marshall…

This is divine will. We must ALL be released!

What?!
Irina, get back!

Very well. I know when I’m not welcome. However, I will return expecting a decision, Duke.

I hope you make the right one, and side with me.

And Hermeien fades away as swiftly as he appeared.

Lord David, are you hurt?
I’m fine.

I thought Lord Hermeien had perished in Nagapur.
This is too weird. Does anybody know what’s goin’ on?

Chairman. What do you intend to do?

I have no reason to doubt his words. Lord Hermeien will return, and I must be prepared for him.

Ensuring his destruction is my duty - as his successor.

The time for war has come.

Lord… Hermeien… No, it can’t be…
I cannot believe Lord Hermeien is still alive… But the evil he radiates proves he is no longer human. To think that something like this brings us to war… Hmph. In the meantime, I shall have my emissaries gather some information.

No more orders from Duke Ghor, so it’s back to Athlum to plan our next move. There’s new dialogue, but oddly it only seems to apply to the pub.

I thought Hermeien died during the incident with the Gwayn, but I hear he’s still alive and crazier than ever. I hope our lord doesn’t feel like he has to go head to head with that madman…

I don’t feel we owe anything to that Hermeien kid. I saw the look in his eyes when he came to speak with our lord. Something wasn’t’ quite right about him…
You can say that twice.
I wonder if Ghor is prepared to throw away its outdated sense of duty and go against Hermeien if the need arises… Our lord is a good man, but sometimes he’s too moral for his own good.

- Video: The Six Bases Appear

Who knows where Hermeien could be hiding. Nagapur is still in ruins.
Hm.

Lord David! I’m glad I caught you.
What is it?
Take a look at this…

He activates the Remnant locator.

What are these black lights?
They appeared a few days ago.
These are Remnants as well?
Well they should be, but they don’t seem to be the regular kind. It looks like they’re draining the powers of nearby Remnants and then shooting it to a single spot.
Remnants that can steal the power of others? I’ve never heard of such a thing.
This is news to us too. We’re going to look into it ASAP.
What is this ‘single spot’ they’re concentrating their powers into?
This spot, in the center of all the black lights, here.

Is that…?
I believe that’s Koenigsdorf. It’s been a valuable stronghold since ancient times.

Irina?

It… it holds the same power I felt in Duke Hermeien…
He must be there, then.

Make preparations for battle. We are going to launch an assault on Koenigsdorf.
Yes, my Lord!

The generals turn to leave.

Oh, yes – the Duke of Ghor need not know about this. Who knows what he’ll do.

NOW the generals leave.

I have a favor to ask you both: if possible, I would like Irina to accompany us a little longer.

I have a feeling she’s going to be of great help to us. I understand if you’re concerned for her well-being. I will not force her to come.
Irina is a grown-up. She can make her own decisions.
Thank you so much Mom and Dad!

Mr. David, I’ll help in any way I can.
*nods*

Okay, come on, enough of that. We have to get ready!
But- oh, yes. Indeed.

That guy’s two banana’s short of a split!
No doubt he’s completely bonkers… and all the more dangerous because of it. Rush, don’t underestimate him.

Those dark lights surrounding Koenigsdorf… Whatever is at each of those locations will do its worst to prevent us from getting to the Conqueror. From now on, our battles will be fierce. Let’s make certain we are amply prepared before we proceed.

Those black lights, huh… Wonder what we’re gonna find? Ehh, doesn’t matter – whatever it is, I’m gonna knock it into next week! Aw geez! I’m shaking… with excitement!

Extrapolating from Miss Irina’s words, the locations signified by those black points are, like Hermeien, imbued with the power of a Remnant. The thought that there are multiple bearers of such strength is distressing at best. For now, we must extinguish the threats one by one.

It seems we will have to do something about the black lights around Koeningsdorf if we wish to enter. Take care in your preparations, Rush. I’ve a feeling these battles will be fiercer than we can even expect.

Nah, let’s just try to bypass those red lights and get to the main event.

Power from each of the dark lights seems to be forming a wall…
Then we must destroy all of those dark lights.
This looks like it’ll be tough. I think a bit more training could really help.
Agreed. It would be wise not to be too overconfident.

So there’s the next big event. We can’t proceed to Koenigsdorf without clearing each of the six bases. I’m sure you can guess what will be waiting for us there.

Before that though, we’ve got a few sidequests left – only about 4 or so, and they’re generally worthwhile. But next up, we’re going to rewind and play the what-if game.

Chairmen’s Meeting
The Six Bases Appear

If we had waited this long to do Caedmon’s last quest, the rewards for doing it now become worse. I’ve also updated the world map:

(Click for larger.)

Dungeons and Battlefields

Next Time: Never again will I use this blade.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 18, 2016

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Hermein's voice actor just knocks this scene out of the park. So much scenery chewing...

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
This dicklord! :argh: Why are you not dead?

No, I take it back, this means we get to kill him. :woop:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

This is roughly where I stopped playing it so it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... what, did the Conqueror make a backup of himself in heaven? And now it's running around in this guy's body?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Never again will I use this blade. -OR- BONUS: At Hatred's End

I may have vaguely mentioned it before, but this game has an “alternate ending” to the Melphina series of quests. But to show it off, I have to do all of those quests again. So, here goes:

Previously On:

Chapter XXVIII: I hope that next time you wash your hands, at least.

[/url]

Hi, I’m Rush Sykes.
From your bearing, I see you must be an accomplished adventurer. With that case, I would make a request of you. To the northwest of this town lies the cursed bog, Crookfen. For long years, its evil has been sealed by a Remnant. Yet of late, the Remnant's seal fails, siring monsters from the flow of dark power. At once, we of the Order have sent scouts to examine the seal. None have yet returned. Would that I could add others to the search, but the town must be defended, and we have no men to spare. So, I ask you—would you come with me to Crookfen and restore the broken seal?
Sure, I'll help out!

The Forest Maidens express the highest gratitude.
We were able to complete the sealing ritual without incident. Without your assistance, Master Sykes, heaven knows what could have happened... The seal is repaired, yet our wayward comrades have yet to be found. This weighs heavily on my mind... But for now, let us return to Melphina.

While we've worried about the seal, fiends have plotted against us, right under our noses...
Ophelia, calm yourself. Do not forget the place of a knight of the Order of Melphina.
But, Commander! A group of suspicious characters dressed in black was seen leaving Crookfen! At your leave, I shall depart at once to arrest the blackguards and bring them to justice! Their evil deeds must be brought to light!
Ophelia. The Order is meant to be the country's shield, not its blade. If you were to abandon the people at a time like this, who would protect them? Life must always be your top priority. Our duty now is to find our lost men without further delay. This is no time for vengeance.
But...!
Err…
Ah, Master Sykes. Forgive me. This is my subcommander, Ophelia. Please excuse our indiscretions just now.

This time, we’ll be picking the other answer.

Don't let them get away!
Exactly! Any miscreants who think they can deceive the people of Melphina should be shown no quarter!
Hmmm... Certainly, Master Sykes's opinion does have merit...

Okay, moving on to the next one. For this one we have to have the meeting at Nagapur, which is simple enough.

Previously On:

Chapter XL: Melphina’s oh-so-important knightly order is done for.

What’s up?
We have gained a clue as to the whereabouts of the lost knights of the Order. The maid Leticia of the Forest Maidens has seen a vision of where our errant knights may be. Her description led us to believe they must be in the great caverns to the southwest… Siebenbur. I intend to head to Siebenbur to rescue my comrades. I would appreciate it muchly if you would assist me, Master Sykes. May I once again call upon your blade?
Let’s bring ‘em home!

Commander… On the way to the broken seal, some men dressed in black assaulted us. When we woke up, we were down here…

Ah –him! That’s one of the men in black who trapped us in here!
(Nordis) Melphina’s oh-so-important knightly order is done for.

[/url]

Seriously?
You’d better think again if you think you’re gonna leave here alive! Hypnos… go!

Okay, strategic withdrawal for now. But I’m gonna remember this!

Here’s the door to the next area. The bring th blurry dot on the left is the Staff of Remembrance for Jorgen.

Oh wow. I remembered there being something interesting to see here…

But I didn’t know it would be THIS.

Still, Commander – the curs responsible for kidnapping our men in the first place have yet to be brought to justice. The tarnished honor of the Order of Melphina cries out to be avenged! The acts these miscreants have performed are unforgiveable. Let our punishment be swift and unrelenting.
Hmm… Ophelia, I believe these men in black are just the face of a much larger evil – an organization with command over many powerful Remnants. The henchmen we have dealt with are far from the fiends controlling all this.
If we do not uncover the masterminds behind this plot against Melphina, they will only send another set of assassins.
But…but, the good name of the Order…!

Honor is serious business.
Isn’t it, though! If we roll over and let this stand, the Order of Melphina will be a laughing stock across the continent!
Ophelia… The most important thing for us to protect is not our reputation.

Now, the way to the last quest requires us to do the Nest of Eagles battle. For this playthrough, I loaded the game right after coming back from Numor Mine with Emma, which means I started these quests at BR 17, and the only BR I’ve gained since is from the Melphina quests. I’m going into the Nest of Eagles at BR 18 – 10 BR lower than what I did in the LP. I’ve recruited no new party members – not even Rhagoh, because that would require me to do quests. However, I did pick up an item “of Remembrance” along the Fourth Path while I was rescuing the knights.

I don’t even have a twelfth party member to slot in after Emma stays behind. But that’s okay, because today I’m going to show you how to exploit the Gae Bolg for fun and profit.

- Video: Exploiting The Gae Bolg

It’s simple. All our unions hold position and build up AP. Enemy reinforcements show up on the first turn.

The Celapaleian guards are still alive after two turns. We now have enough AP built up, so we’ll close in.

And now we’re good.

Wiping out that many enemy unions at once refills David’s Morale gauge back up to the top.

Does it hurt?
Why…

I believe that if David’s union had just a little more AP, he could do another Gae Bolg right now. So he’s standing by.

Good. Now let’s finish this.

Unfortunately, the Gae Bolg won’t come up without three unions on the field, so we’ll have to finish this fight the hard way. Watch the video if you want to see the end.

So that’s how you can use the Gae Bolg to make battlefield fights easier. The downside is that it means less art experience for people, and the Gae Bolg scales with David anyway. Let’s move on.

After the Nest of Eagles, our maximum party size goes up to 15, but we only have 12 people. I decide to recruit three more to fill our ranks. The first is
Darien, because his quest is simple and requires no combat.

We’ll need to enter the Aqueducts. Just entering them will unlock Gaou at the Baaluk guild. Also easy enough, but we still need one more.

Obtained Sword of Remembrance!

If you trek all the way to the end of the first part of the Aqueducts, you can pick this item up. That’s all we came for, so let’s get out.

One more side trip is needed to the SW Road.

Obtained Bandanna of Remembrance!

With Sword, Bandanna and Staff (from the earlier Melphina quest), we have all we need to make Jorgen a Warrior. There are other combinations, but this one was pretty simple to get with stuff I had on hand.

Yeah, here you go!

Looks familiar, huh?
This blade… it’s as if it were made for my hand. What a feeling… surely no other sword would do. I must have been a great warrior with this weapon!
Holding this staff… What a strange, warm feeling I get. Yes… I was skilled at mystic arts, wasn’t I?
This bandanna… I feel like just tying it on would give me the feeling I could take on the world. Yes… This must have given me courage.

Yup!

This is your chance to back off and re-choose what objects you want to give him.

Yes… I remember! I…

To keep it from absorbing my soul, I had to pay a great price… that of my past. So that’s who I am…
So, I guess it’ll be coming back to eat your soul, then? Sucks to be you.
Oh, I really should give you something… Ah, yes, take this.
It’s not your evil sword, is it?
Reward: Obtained Stacked Attack! You’ve learned a new formation!
Thanks to your help, I’ve been able to remember how I’ve lived… how I’ve come to where I am today. But the past is not everything… From now on, I must find how to live in my present.
Uh-huh…
That said, I believe it’s well past time to get started. Thank you, Rush. Someday, we may meet again.
Completed quest: Amnesia
Jorgen regained his memory. He says he’s gonna treasure it from now on.

And now we will hire Jorgen from the Balterossa guild.

Jorgen the Warrior is really expensive. Too expensive, there are a lot better units for a cheaper price.

Jorgen

An amnesiac desert wanderer. His scarred face hints at a rough past. Is what he remembers real?

Class: Warrior
Initial BR: BR 37
HP: (511)
Str / Int: (44 / 21)
Union Name: Jorgen’s Division

Current Arts
  • Two-Handed: (Double Strike III), (Thunderclap II), (Cascade Strike)
  • Dual Wield: (Devil's Due III), (Bladedancer II), (Resonance Edge)
Future Arts
  • Invocations @ BR 49
  • Herbs @ BR 62

Comments
You have to enter the Aquaducts, and then leave them after finding the item for this class. It’s only notable for being a rare dual-wielder, and otherwise is uninteresting.

Tags: Combat, Outclassed, Worthless,

Look at this. It’s crap. You can choose between him using a 2H or dual-wielding, woo-hoo. Anyway, we’ve now got a full party.

Previously On:

Chapter X: Urg, I gotta do the tie-break again?

Yeah, I heard.
They have organized a march on Melphina. Their numbers are too vast to even compare with before. Currently, I prepare to lead the Order to the Malbourge Flatlands to stop the wave of beasts. If we can do nothing else, the beasts must not be allowed to destroy Melphina. Master Sykes… I am shamed to ask this of you so directly, but this is my final request. Please, would you help me protect Melphina?
Of course I’ll help!

(Nordis) This power… So this is the true strength of the bond between the Order and the Forest Maidens?

We’re out of options, and Melphina still won’t submit… They’re made of sterner stuff than we thought. They… they’ve got something we just don’t.
But, Bro… If we go home with a report like that to the big man, we’re gonna –
Right… we won’t be living to say much else. He hates failure more than anything…
Yeah… Hey – forget this. How ‘bout we just get outta here? Maybe if we run back home, the association’s assassins won’t catch up!

It is. However, once Marsha’s prayers sealed the monsters, the fear in their eyes was clear. Those men will not threaten this land again.
Commander, you are too soft! Think of the losses the Order has suffered due to those outlaws! Crime cannot go unpunished. For the honor of the Order, the cowards must be found and their evils redressed.
Ophelia. To strike down those who flee, accepting their defeat – does that not tarnish the honor of the Order more than aught else?

…still gets the job done.
See? Even Rush agrees. I will not allow the men who assaulted my men and my country to escape. They will pay for their crimes against the Order!
Master Sykes…
Roberto. Let us not get ahead of ourselves. For now, let us show our gratitude for young Sykes’s assistance in defending Melphina.
Oh, yes! Master Sykes, take this as a token of our gratitude.

Reward: 7000 G!
Obtained Melphina Certificate of Gratitude!

If you had agreed with Roberto all three times, you get 20000 G and he and his fellow knights (not Ophelia) become recruitable party members. Disagree with him three times and you only get 7000 G.

Completed quest: The Reviving Legend

The next time you enter Melphina…

What’s up?
By asking around this very pub, I've found what's happened to those dark-clothed misreants from before. One is a qsiti named Nordis. Apparently, he specializes in close combat with blades. The other is a mitra named Azelle. Word is that they've fled Melphina to Nagapur, and are hiding out in the Numor Mines. For shaming the name of the Order of Melphina, and putting all of Melphina in danger, they have run up a high toll I intend to collect. The fiends must be found and brought to justice. You agree that is the correct course, Rush, do you not? Come with me to find them. But we must make haste; given the time, they will scurry off like the rats they are. Rush--let's go!
C'mon, just let 'em be.
What-- how can you say such a thing? ... Fine. Even if I must do it alone, I will see them punished with my own two hands. Report to me if you change your mind.
Time for frontier justice!
As I had expected of you, Rush. You well understand the concepts of honor and justice. The blackguards should be lurking within the Numor Mines. Head there as soon as you possibly can. I shall head there as well.
Accepted quest: At Hatred’s End

The game doesn’t tell you where to go. The only direction you get is that for this quest, the elevator to the Large Scale Mining Zone is now open.

But that doesn’t help all that much. Where we want to go is the northeastern corner.

The kindly villagers all helped to raise the kids. But as the pair grew, they got bored with their peaceful village, and left to find their fortune. Out in the real world without money or power, they somehow found themselves working for a shady organization. And not just any mob, but a huge organization dedicated to the development of Remnants as weapons. You know the one.
But the jobs they were being assigned offered lower and lower chances of coming back alive. Tired of an occupation that lowered one's life expectancy, the pair went to hand in their resignations. Their boss replied like so: "For a long, long time, the Organization has wanted to test the purification Remnant, the Blue Elf," he said with a smirk. "If you bring us the Remnant, the two of you are free to go. And those "two" were...
Well, it's pretty obvious, isn't it? Azelle and me. Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not telling you this in some bid for sympathy. I'm not letting you guys leave here alive. Just wanted you to realize that no matter how low a man's fallen, he'll shoulder any burden to be free.

Nordis of the Third Committee is going to finish you off, right here!

A guest union has joined the party.
Mission: Defeat Nordis of the Third Committee!

Music: Sliver of Hope

- Video: At Hatred’s End

Even at this low a BR, it’s not too tough a fight. Ophelia joins as a guest union.

Brilliant!

Not bad!

This turn should finish it.

You scumbags!

There you are. Now go on out and fight!

Music: Reversal

Okay, THIS turn should finish him off.

That’s Torgal’s third finishing blow this fight. I’m going to skip the arts/class summary because it’s irrelevant.

Augh! Bro--Nordis!!!

This wasn't supposed to happen!

N-never... Remember how I feel... Someday, you'll feel this sadness for yourselves! You will...I'll make sure you will!

What could that Azelle be planning? We'll have to keep on our toes. Ahh, at least we were able to bring one of them to justice. Halfway done, right? For now, let's report to Commander Roberto. I'm certain he'll be pleased to hear this.

The guest union has left the party.

Leticia the Forest Maiden has been snatched away, held captive. The kidnapper's ransom is the Blue Elf for the Maiden's life.
Unbelievable...
The culprit seemed at his wits' end... Furthermore, he closed his ears to all we said. We can neither talk him down nor negotiate. The Order has already considered rescuing the girl by force, but the kidnapper is in such a state that the wrong move could endanger the girl.
The Blue Elf is our country's greatest treasure. However, there is nothing in this world worth more than a life. Protecting the lives of the people of Melphina is my only desire. Likewise, Roberto and the Order, holding the souls of true knights, have fiercely protected this country until today.
Verily, it is as you say.
Then, it is decided. We shall give him the Blue Elf before he takes the life of the Maiden.
Wh-what?

This is why you don’t let bleeding-heart hippies run the government.

It's all that man in black's fault... That Azelle, he's the one who took the Forest Maiden, I'm sure of it! I'd meant to punish him for tarnishing the image of the Order and the country, but I never imagined something like this would happen... I've proven myself unfit to be a knight of Melphina... Never again will I use this blade. Rush, if you would, I leave it to you.
Obtained Ophelia’s Sword!
Completed quest: At Hatred’s End

The lord decided to hand over the Blue Elf in exchange for the girls’ lives. Guess this was the big revenge Azelle was going on about, huh…

And so, if you side with Ophelia all three times and do her quest, your G reward is lower, you can’t recruit Roberto or the other Knights of Melphina, the Blue Elf winds up in Hermeien’s hands, you’re left feeling like a total dickbag, and the only reward you get is Ophelia’s sword.

It’s a special item – not even usable. All it does is sit in your inventory, forever useless, reminding you of what a terrible decision you have made.

Oh, and by the way, Xbox players HAD to do “At Hatred’s End” before all quests were considered complete. Yeah, it’s as dumb as it sounds. PC players do not have to do this quest to get full completion status.

Exploiting The Gae Bolg
At Hatred’s End

Next Time: Show me the young man you’ve become.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 11, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Whatever message the developers intended to say is probably lost on the player when they get to the end.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

yeah, this is not even a choice, the Ophelia quests have no benefit.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, thank you for showing off that ending. Wow. I'm impressed they let you make such poor life decisions.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I am still working on the update, it's just been a bit of a busy week. I can't guarantee it'll be done today, even. We're pretty close to a new page, though. which I'll want anyway.

EDIT: I know... We've got to go look for blank, unbound Remnants. We've seen some in our travels. Where are they located, and what are they called?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 4, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

Well, thank you for showing off that ending. Wow. I'm impressed they let you make such poor life decisions.

It's shocking how many poor decisions this game will let you make.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

It's shocking how many poor decisions this game will let you make.

It's as it should be, as long as it's actually playable and winnable I don't think the player should be barred from making bad decisions, although it's nice if the game presents what actually affected an outcome.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Szurumbur posted:

It's as it should be, as long as it's actually playable and winnable I don't think the player should be barred from making bad decisions, although it's nice if the game presents what actually affected an outcome.

In this case, it's sort-of clear, because this quest only appears if you side with Ophelia all three times AND do her quest. The side with Ophelia answers are also pretty obviously the "wrong" answers, especially if you consider that Roberto is the Obvious Potential Party Member and Ophelia is a Generic Soldier.

To help speed things along, Rush needs your help. He has to go look for blank, unbound Remnants. We've seen some in our travels. Where are they located, and as a bonus, what are they called? (P.S. Elysion does not count.)

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

There's the Rubber Soul in those ruins near the beginning where Rush did a stupid, I'm not sure it's "blank" but at least it's unbound.

• Locked thread