Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bland posted:

You know I thought when they doubled the drops in Alexander I'd no longer having any problems with the system but after 8 runs of A3 today between 3 parties and nothing to show for it I think I'm about to burn down the server.

How? Do all the people in A3 want cranks exclusively now or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Maguoob posted:

Except for CUL, because gently caress CUL. I do like how the level 56 recipe awards more blue scripts than the 30 or 59.

Seems like an oversight especially with that 56 being better

Truga posted:

4 loot drops still affected by RNG, I saw 5 Pedal Pedal Lens Bolt drops in A2 yesterday and 90% of those pedals hit the floor.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Truga posted:

Well I was after my final spring and I just got mediocre roll after mediocre roll. People seemed to be rolling on cranks and springs quite a lot, most of the lens' went straight in the garbage though. Every party I was in would end up with me being the last person to need loot and everyone peaceing out, even the one I made myself with the description "Please stick around until everyone has their loot". The one time I got a strong roll on a spring I was beaten by a guy wearing Gordian pants already rolling a 99. :smithicide:

Guess I'll try again tomorrow or something.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bland posted:

Every party I was in would end up with me being the last person to need loot and everyone peaceing out, even the one I made myself with the description "Please stick around until everyone has their loot".

That's really lovely. :(

Are you on excal? I'll be online in about 2h and can help! :v:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Truga posted:

That's really lovely. :(

Are you on excal? I'll be online in about 2h and can help! :v:

I won't be around by then unfortunately but thanks for the offer nonetheless.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I set an alarm and got a character made on Excalibur 10 minutes after maintenance ended. Are the queues typically pretty bad on this server? I'm not relishing the thought of releveling (even if my other guy is only 26) especially if the queues are rough.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
They're fine.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Obese FYAD Reject posted:

I set an alarm and got a character made on Excalibur 10 minutes after maintenance ended. Are the queues typically pretty bad on this server? I'm not relishing the thought of releveling (even if my other guy is only 26) especially if the queues are rough.

I've had at most a 20 person queue in the last week or two, and it's like a 10 second wait.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I haven't seen a queue in a while now. Even if there is one over a weekend, you can get past it by clicking cancel and clicking your character again.

The character creation limitation is the best thing, because it means we get to avoid queues. :v:

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That is loving awesome news. Thanks, guys. Now to fire up my index finger to skip some cutscenes :getin:

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

Maguoob posted:

Except for CUL, because gently caress CUL. I do like how the level 56 recipe awards more blue scripts than the 30 or 59.

It sort of takes into account the recipe complexity. Emerald Soup is very costly to make for its level, even taking the blue scrips ingredient, both meatballs and sandwich have relatively cheap materials. Also be glad when you're getting deep-fried okeanis for red scrips, even if it's just 9. It's still a fraction of the cost of some other recipes, especially from other tradeskills, even if you end up having to do twice the amount.

In the end it's always saving money vs saving time. Just in this case you save A LOT of money. I made some quick counts one evening trying to cap red scrips, even doing morel salad (which isn't cheap at all, relative to other CUL stuff) was 1/7 of the cost to cap with one of the cheapest BSM alternatives.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

That is loving awesome news. Thanks, guys. Now to fire up my index finger to skip some cutscenes :getin:

:getout:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Maguoob posted:

Truly won't someone weep for the poor Culinarian who has some of the most efficient scrips per craft both pre and post patch

Alas poor Culinarian I knew him well

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah cul is still the most efficent for red scrips by a mile so i'm having a really hard time feeling sorry for you crying that it wasn't made even easier to cap as one

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
A weird thing about queues in this game is that they are incredibly easy to skip. Just cancel and re-join, queue skipped. I figure its a bug, but it's never fixed.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be
Hey guys, Foresight here!

In all item level 190 left side, and protect, Foresight is the equivalent of hitting an ability that says "mitigate 14.3% physical damage".

In all item level 200 left side, and protect, Foresight will be the equivalent of hitting an ability that says "mitigate 16.2% physical damage."

In all item level 210 left side, and protect, Foresight will be the equivalent of hitting an ability that says "mitigate 18.3% physical damage".

In all item level 220+ left side, and protect, Foresight will be better than 20% physical mitigation, and we still have a lot more item level to go up in Heavensward.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Sarrisan posted:

A weird thing about queues in this game is that they are incredibly easy to skip. Just cancel and re-join, queue skipped. I figure its a bug, but it's never fixed.

When you are queued you have a spot in the line on the login server, which can process several logins per second. However, the client basically reserves a spot in line and then checks back every several seconds to see if it's in front yet. When you cancel and retry, you're manually forcing that check.

The login queues tend to only be 10-20 deep so re-checking right away tends to be enough, but during heavily congested logon times, the cancel trick will not get you in right away.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Finally got to level 60 and completed the MSQ :toot:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
If only DPS queues worked the same way...

More importantly, red scrips for fishing collectables have gone up to 12, or 16 if starred, from 10 or 12 if starred. That makes things a little easier, but won't really be a huge jump. You're still going to have to be prepared to sink some time into it. Of course, if you're not, I don't know how you made it this far with fishing in the first place.

I'm still on track to be slinging a fancy new rod by this weekend. Depending on what collectable windows I can hit tonight, I may stock up so I have some ready to turn in right after the reset.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So really, it looks like all the modifications from this hotfix were to blue / red scrips being increased, a modification in item drops for maps, and not being able to access DF immediately after if you got votekicked from a duty. The rest of the patch is all fixing bugs (to which there were a lot, none that I've ever seen the impact, though).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

(to which there were a lot, none that I've ever seen the impact, though).

Someone has never played a BLM then.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

The login queues tend to only be 10-20 deep so re-checking right away tends to be enough, but during heavily congested logon times, the cancel trick will not get you in right away.

Yep, during heavy traffic (i.e. more than 30 people in queue?) the it doesn't work.

That said, yeah, I'm 99% sure this is actually just a login queue, not a "server is full" queue. Right after HW launched I got a 800 something queue, and it cleared in <5 minutes, and I doubt 800 people logged out that fast. :v:

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Arrrrrgh, I just bought the game and made a character. Before naming my character, Exodus was shown as open. I took about forty seconds to come up with a name, but by the time I accepted it, Exodus was closed. drat you, realm restrictions!

I'm guessing that I won't have a good chance to enter again until early in the morning?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Arrrrrgh, I just bought the game and made a character. Before naming my character, Exodus was shown as open. I took about forty seconds to come up with a name, but by the time I accepted it, Exodus was closed. drat you, realm restrictions!

I'm guessing that I won't have a good chance to enter again until early in the morning?

You got lucky cause you want to be on Excalibur

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

Someone has never played a BLM then.

I got THM to 26 for swiftcast and then abandoned the class immediately :colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Can anyone quote or pastebin the patch notes? I can't see the SE site on my phone

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

pandaK posted:

Can anyone quote or pastebin the patch notes? I can't see the SE site on my phone

The following adjustments have been made:

Hit detection when attacking an enemy while level synced has been adjusted.
Items that can be obtained from treasure coffers appearing in archaeoskin, wyvernskin, and dragonskin treasure maps have been adjusted.
The following items can now be traded in multiple numbers at once to the Idyllshire NPC “scrip exchange”:
 Rowena’s token (red crafters’ scrip) / Rowena’s token (red gatherers’ scrip) / Rowena’s token (blue gatherers’ scrip)
The number of red gatherers’ scrips, red crafters’ scrips and blue crafters’ scrips that can be obtained as rewards from the NPC “scrip exchange” in Idyllshire and Revenant's Toll have been increased.
The Duty Finder has been adjusted so that players who have been vote-dismissed are not immediately available as candidates for joining a party.
Certain Worlds will no longer go down, even during congested periods such as right after a maintenance.
 * During congestion, Worlds will no longer go down, but the character selection screen may not display.
The following item name has been changed:
 - Serpentskin Belt of Gathering → Dragonskin Belt of Gathering

The following issues have been addressed:

An issue in “Alexander – The Cuff of the Father (Savage)” wherein players would sometimes be able to complete the duty without meeting all requirements under certain conditions.
An issue in “Alexander – The Arm of the Father (Savage)” wherein certain objects would clip into the floor.
An issue in “Alexander – The Arm of the Father (Savage)” wherein monsters would only auto-attack under certain conditions.
An issue in “Alexander – The Burden of the Father (Savage)” wherein the accuracy of physical attacks would change under certain conditions.
An issue in “The Vault” wherein the game client could crash when defeating a boss under certain conditions.
An issue in “The Dusk Vigil” wherein the game client could crash occasionally when exiting the dungeon through the timer running out. (PlayStation®4 version only)
An issue wherein Dravanian Wyverns in the Dravanian Forelands would not drop Wyvern Skins.
An issue wherein the machinist action “Rapid Fire” would not apply its effect properly while under the effect of “Gauss Barrel”.
An issue wherein casting the black mage action “Fire III” immediately after receiving the “Firestarter” effect would result in an uninterruptable cast instead of an instant cast.
An issue wherein using the astrologian card “The Ewer” on a dark knight with the “Darkside” status would not display the correct message.
An issue with the fisher action “Collector’s Glove” wherein catching a fish as a collectable uses up two pieces of bait.
An issue wherein the carpenter recipe for the “Sun Mica Grinding Wheel” listed an incorrect amount of Fieldcraft Demimateria III needed to craft it.
An issue with the quest “From the Hoplon to the Brume” wherein the materia melding screen would display incorrect information when attempting to meld the rewarded materia immediately.
An issue wherein dyeing quest reward items and then turning them in to complete other quests would not display the dye information correctly.
An issue wherein it was possible to occasionally submit items past the limit with material supplying for the Company Workshop.
An issue wherein the client would sometimes crash when interacting with legendary gathering nodes.
An issue wherein the game would become unresponsive when gathering collectables.
An issue wherein the player would not be able to synthesize until after re-logging if they stopped synthesis under certain conditions.
An issue wherein the weekly cap for Red Gatherers’ Scrips would not reset properly under certain conditions.
An issue wherein purchasing high quality items in a specific way from the Idyllshire NPC “Splendor Vendor” would display as if the player purchased normal quality items.
An issue with the Idyllshire NPC “Sabina” wherein the accessories under the Gordian Parts Exchange menus would not be in the correct order.
An issue with the Fish Guide wherein the prime locations for the following fish were incorrect.
 Illuminati Perch / Hinterlands Perch
An issue wherein opening the Party Finder widget would sometimes close the game under certain conditions.
An issue with exploratory voyages wherein the amount of time lapsed for the previous voyage would sometimes not display correctly.
An issue wherein assigning the following keys to the hotbar would cause the key name to not appear correctly on the hotbar:
 Insert / Print Screen / Scroll Lock / Pause
An issue wherein the game client may crash or cause the game to become unresponsive when logging in. (PlayStation®4 only)
An issue wherein the game could become unresponsive when performing emotes. (PlayStation®4 only)
An issue wherein equipping “Hempen Camise” together with the following equipment as a female Elezen would cause certain graphics to not appear correctly:
 Antiquated Caller’s Armlets / Caller’s Armlets
 Antiquated Aoidos’ Shoulder Gloves / Aoidos’ Shoulder Gloves
An issue wherein equipping both the “Asuran Dogi of Aiming” and “Orthodox Wristgloves of Aiming” would cause certain graphics to not appear correctly.
An issue wherein shadows for certain housing interior furnishings did not display correctly.
An issue wherein unnecessary objects appeared in the sky in the Dravanian Hinterlands.
An issue wherein it was not possible to land correctly while mounted in certain areas in the Dravanian Forelands.
An issue wherein players could become stuck or fall through the map in several Patch 3.0 areas.
An issue wherein the helptext for “Snurbleberry Tart” did not include “EXP Bonus” and “Duration”.
An issue wherein the helptext for “Nameday Cake” contained incorrect food effects.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

pandaK posted:

Here you go.

e;fb

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So people are theorizing that the vote dismiss change means you just can't join a party in progress. You're not locked out of DF, just in-progress parties. As to keep tanks/healers who are kicked from immediately rejoining the group that kicked them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Irae posted:

It sort of takes into account the recipe complexity. Emerald Soup is very costly to make for its level, even taking the blue scrips ingredient, both meatballs and sandwich have relatively cheap materials. Also be glad when you're getting deep-fried okeanis for red scrips, even if it's just 9. It's still a fraction of the cost of some other recipes, especially from other tradeskills, even if you end up having to do twice the amount.

In the end it's always saving money vs saving time. Just in this case you save A LOT of money. I made some quick counts one evening trying to cap red scrips, even doing morel salad (which isn't cheap at all, relative to other CUL stuff) was 1/7 of the cost to cap with one of the cheapest BSM alternatives.

Whatever the formula, looking at the results now it seems like a lot of level 58-57 turnins are actually worth more scrips than level 59 turnins, not just culinarian.

I'll probably still end up doing Deep-Fried Okeanis... Noble Codex/Noble Gold is tempting but requires a lot of intermediate steps that are annoying.

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan

GameFAQS? posted:

The WAR having to use Holmgang just to survive eating 19K plus from Hypercompressed Plasma is going to be a nasty, nasty surprise to a lot of folks this week when they realize that shiny new Esoteric weapon that finally gets them past Faust isn't going to help much with tanking Oppressors.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Just finished the story.

- The Flagship dungeon's last boss is a real fucker to heal.
- The cutscene after it is extremely :catstare:.
- Popehat, why must you abandon us? :negative: I wanted you for my pretty princess collection.
- Estinien, you are a dumbass. I wish Ysayle was here to slap you / tackle you bodily to the ground.
- The voiceacting owns in Heavensward from pretty much start to finish. Aymeric's "uh, and who would you be, Mr Nice Dragon" was fantastic, and I relatedly got mild chills from everyone kneeling to Midgardsormr.
- No loving onscreen monument to Ysayle? <:mad:>

- Of course everyone else carries a medieval weapon and Merlwyb carries a double-barrreled shotgun-pistol. :allears: The fascist expansionist admiral of my heart.

Edit: - And, naturally, the post-credits stinger. The Emissary sounds so disappointed. Also, Team Evil On The Moon.

Double edit: Oh, I was wondering what was under that force field.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 4, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

:allears:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just finished the story.

- The Flagship dungeon's last boss is a real fucker to heal.
- The cutscene after it is extremely :catstare:.
- Popehat, why must you abandon us? :negative: I wanted you for my pretty princess collection.
- Estinien, you are a dumbass. I wish Ysayle was here to slap you / tackle you bodily to the ground.
- The voiceacting owns in Heavensward from pretty much start to finish. Aymeric's "uh, and who would you be, Mr Nice Dragon" was fantastic, and I relatedly got mild chills from everyone kneeling to Midgardsormr.
- No loving onscreen monument to Ysayle? <:mad:>

- Of course everyone else carries a medieval weapon and Merlwyb carries a double-barrreled shotgun-pistol. :allears: The fascist expansionist admiral of my heart.

Edit: - And, naturally, the post-credits stinger. The Emissary sounds so disappointed. Also, Team Evil On The Moon.

No joke, Ysayle was my favourite part of the expansion story and i'm going to miss her super hard :smith:. That point where its just you, Alph, Estinien and her wandering around Ishgard was the high point of the story for me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

No joke, Ysayle was my favourite part of the expansion story and i'm going to miss her super hard :smith:. That point where its just you, Alph, Estinien and her wandering around Ishgard was the high point of the story for me.

At least

She went down disabling a replica of the warship that killed Midgardsormr. That's a damned good showing.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bland posted:

Well I was after my final spring and I just got mediocre roll after mediocre roll. People seemed to be rolling on cranks and springs quite a lot, most of the lens' went straight in the garbage though. Every party I was in would end up with me being the last person to need loot and everyone peaceing out, even the one I made myself with the description "Please stick around until everyone has their loot". The one time I got a strong roll on a spring I was beaten by a guy wearing Gordian pants already rolling a 99. :smithicide:

Guess I'll try again tomorrow or something.

Lens-to-garbage :words: explanation, aka It's All About Efficiency :v:

A3/A4 are the only sources of body (4 drops needed, all from A4), legs (4 drops needed, A3/A4), and hands (2 drops needed, A3/A4). So to get a full set of those requires 10 total drops, or 5 weeks, ignoring lenses. Of those 5 weeks, in 4 of the weeks the A4 drop needs to be body.

A1/A2 are the only sources of accessories (4 drops needed, A1/A2), waist (1 drop needed, A1), and feet (2 drops needed, A1/A2). So to get a full set of those requires 7 total drops, or 3.5 weeks, again ignoring lenses. First time around it's only 3 weeks because of that one accessory from the quest chain. We'll also hand-wave the fact that in the very long run there are only 5 sets of accessories and 7 sets of left-side armor, but that just reinforces the point.

That brings us to the head (lens), which straddles the two groups as the only item available in both A2 and A3. You need 2 of those as well. If you get them both from A2, that pushes you to 4.5 weeks total, which isn't going to extend your total time past the 5 weeks already set by A3/A4. If, however, you get them both from A3, that pushes you to 6 weeks total. Even if you only get one of them from A3 and the other from A2, you're still at 5.5 weeks which means you're finishing during week 6.

Counterpoint: you don't need to care That Much about efficiency, especially with the advent of esoterics gear (and, if you're interested and capable, Alex Savage gear). 6 weeks to fully gear a job vs. 5 weeks to fully gear a job isn't going to have that huge an effect, particularly if you're playing more casually. And if you only plan to really gear up one main job via Alex Normal, it barely matters at all.

But all the same, it's still the Objectively Better Option to never take the lens from A3. The subjective importance of this, however, is up to you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Captain Oblivious posted:

At least

She went down disabling a replica of the warship that killed Midgardsormr. That's a damned good showing.

Which is why she should have a loving monument! :argh:

Also, Ysayle's voice actress deserves a medal. She does a lot of amazing work this expansion.

The Hraesvelgr conversations alone, even.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 4, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vil posted:

Lens-to-garbage :words: explanation, aka It's All About Efficiency :v:

A3/A4 are the only sources of body (4 drops needed, all from A4), legs (4 drops needed, A3/A4), and hands (2 drops needed, A3/A4). So to get a full set of those requires 10 total drops, or 5 weeks, ignoring lenses. Of those 5 weeks, in 4 of the weeks the A4 drop needs to be body.

A1/A2 are the only sources of accessories (4 drops needed, A1/A2), waist (1 drop needed, A1), and feet (2 drops needed, A1/A2). So to get a full set of those requires 7 total drops, or 3.5 weeks, again ignoring lenses. First time around it's only 3 weeks because of that one accessory from the quest chain. We'll also hand-wave the fact that in the very long run there are only 5 sets of accessories and 7 sets of left-side armor, but that just reinforces the point.

That brings us to the head (lens), which straddles the two groups as the only item available in both A2 and A3. You need 2 of those as well. If you get them both from A2, that pushes you to 4.5 weeks total, which isn't going to extend your total time past the 5 weeks already set by A3/A4. If, however, you get them both from A3, that pushes you to 6 weeks total. Even if you only get one of them from A3 and the other from A2, you're still at 5.5 weeks which means you're finishing during week 6.

Counterpoint: you don't need to care That Much about efficiency, especially with the advent of esoterics gear (and, if you're interested and capable, Alex Savage gear). 6 weeks to fully gear a job vs. 5 weeks to fully gear a job isn't going to have that huge an effect, particularly if you're playing more casually. And if you only plan to really gear up one main job via Alex Normal, it barely matters at all.

But all the same, it's still the Objectively Better Option to never take the lens from A3. The subjective importance of this, however, is up to you.

Short version, people that wanted helm already got it.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Been playing Arcanist for a while and just unlocked Summoner/Scholar. I was wondering how much pet handling should I do? At this point, that amount is "zero pet handling" unless I need to do something special in a leve and tell my pet to heel or something. They seem to handle themselves pretty autonomously but based on some other posts, I feel like I might be missing something that I should be getting used to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I'm leveling duo with somebody and we just got to the point in the story where you pick a grand company. A couple of cursory reddit searches suggest your choice of GC doesn't matter much, and I know you can switch between them, but my question specifically concerns the leveling experience. Do different GCs have different story quests? Are my leveling partner and I going to be separated if we pick different GCs?

• Locked thread