Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Ronaldo is clinically insane. He tried to seriously harm a person based on his own delusions. He needs a therapist, not a girlfriend.

Ronaldo is great because 95% of the time he's played as a lovable Comic Book Guy type character, but every once in a while you get a glimmer of admission that being a conspiracy theorist is not an endearing character trait but is in fact indicative of something really unsettling and dangerous. (Also he's really funny.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

WarpedNaba posted:

Lars is seriously misguided and has enormous insecurity issues that go all the way back to his early childhood, I can't hate him for that. He does show that he's growing a little as a character after all that crap, so I'd call him a wait-and-see.

Sadie is the most level, but sometimes her crap is well-intended yet stupid. What she did with the island was dumb, but she probably intended to pull off the veil if poo poo got too intense.

Ronaldo is clinically insane. He tried to seriously harm a person based on his own delusions. He needs a therapist, not a girlfriend.

Ronaldo straight up knocked out and kidnapped Steven, and was going to slice him open from gullet to gizzard for a youtube video until the Gems showed up to probably kill him if Steven hadn't called them off. poo poo was hosed up.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

WrathOfBlade posted:

Ronaldo is great because 95% of the time he's played as a lovable Comic Book Guy type character, but every once in a while you get a glimmer of admission that being a conspiracy theorist is not an endearing character trait but is in fact indicative of something really unsettling and dangerous. (Also he's really funny.)

Ronaldo: Don't get hung up on these minor facts! Truth is about more than that. Truth is a feeling in your gut that you know is true! Truth is searching for anything that proves you're right no matter how small, and holding on to that, no matter what!

Steven: That kinda sounds like the opposite of truth.

deadly_pudding posted:

Ronaldo straight up knocked out and kidnapped Steven, and was going to slice him open from gullet to gizzard for a youtube video until the Gems showed up to probably kill him if Steven hadn't called them off. poo poo was hosed up.

At the time, he literally believed him to be an evil monster that was trying to take over the earth. I'm not saying "kidnap and autopsy" is the right reaction there, but it is slightly less horrifying than if he'd actually tried to do it to regular old Steven.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Why is everyone talking about shipping and not taking time to appreciate this beauty?

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

@vondellswain 56m56 minutes ago
steven universe au where steven has a tv on his stomach that rose can talk and see out of & she moves him around like a robot body sometimes

@zottgrammes 45m45 minutes ago
@vondellswain Sounds like Krang!

Rose as Krang was not something I expected to see, but here we are.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ronaldo: Don't get hung up on these minor facts! Truth is about more than that. Truth is a feeling in your gut that you know is true! Truth is searching for anything that proves you're right no matter how small, and holding on to that, no matter what!

Steven: That kinda sounds like the opposite of truth.

At the time, he literally believed him to be an evil monster that was trying to take over the earth. I'm not saying "kidnap and autopsy" is the right reaction there, but it is slightly less horrifying than if he'd actually tried to do it to regular old Steven.

Right, but this wasn't Steven shapeshifted into a snerson. This was Steven in like a mega lovely costume made out of cardboard and trash bags. The point is that Ronaldo is totally willing to slice open a person in a lovely costume for youtube because he's so deluded that he's able to see past visible scotch tape and googly eyes.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Right, but this wasn't Steven shapeshifted into a snerson. This was Steven in like a mega lovely costume made out of cardboard and trash bags. The point is that Ronaldo is totally willing to slice open a person in a lovely costume for youtube because he's so deluded that he's able to see past visible scotch tape and googly eyes.

But, to be fair, tricking him into believing it was totally Steven's intention.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That doesn't count for much of anything.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TwoPair posted:

Why is everyone talking about shipping and not taking time to appreciate this beauty?

Reminds me of this dumb vocaloid thing:

And now I want to see a bunch of OctoRose :cripes:

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
lars and ronaldo are bad and dumb, unlike me, the cool tviv goon who calls cartoon characters "clinically insane"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DrakePegasus posted:

Sadie deserves better than Lars, but he's apparently what she wants. At the same time, Lars didn't deserve to be stranded on an island for a month, but I can't see him surviving without Sadie even if he didn't live in disaster-prone Beach City.

Lars and Sadie's relationship is probably the most realistic one on the show, to an almost uncomfortable degree. I'm sure all of us know at least one Sadie or Lars.

Hell, I'm sure some of us are or have been a Sadie or a Lars.

It's me, I've been a Lars :smith:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Yeah, there's been a little bit of Lars in all of us at some point. It's his only redeeming feature- deep down we can identify with him, at least a bit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:buddy:

quote:

imagine steven universe where everything is exactly the same but everything is drawn in the exact same terrible style of Family Guy

quote:

this is the worst thing i have ever made with my own two hands
(X)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Why would you do this to us.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

:magical:

It's so... disgusting...

quote:

The next step you could do to improve your gem shitposting is to take the Family Guy-styled Gems and turn them into minions.

:suicide:

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 4, 2015

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Music Theory posted:

:magical:

It's so... disgusting...

:suicide:

Her name IS Yellow Diamond; maybe she's just three minions in a wig. Wake up Sneeple!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

Yeah, there's been a little bit of Lars in all of us at some point. It's his only redeeming feature- deep down we can identify with him, at least a bit.

:quagmire: giggity

I'm sorry, I'll leave now

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

I hate you for sharing this but I'm also glad because this seems to have at least temporarily halted the previous topic of conversation/

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i don't think anyone's mentioned that onion's dad either intentionally wrecked greg's carwash with his boat, or is too mentally unbalanced to realize that it's too big to fit in there

makes u think

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
There's a bit where Steven is annoyed at Greg's hoarding and asks, 'when did you even have a cat?!' while tossing a little kitty crate. Since this show has some amazing conservation of detail and never uses throw-away lines when it can foreshadow something, I think it was probably used by a younger Lion. Also Greg kind of became a hoarder after his wife committed suicide (by magical reincarnation) and that's pretty sad.

Garnet never asks questions ever. Occasionally she tells people to explain things, but that's always for rhetorical effect. This is mostly because she's a boss who knows what's up, but also because she can foresee everyone's potential answers through future vision and doesn't need to bog down the main timeline with the details.

In Rose Quartz's armory there's a bunch of armors that Pearl called 'the armor of the fallen,' I just got that it's probably more like 'armor for the fallen' that they stuck gem shards in, to use for foot soldiers.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

StringOfLetters posted:

There's a bit where Steven is annoyed at Greg's hoarding and asks, 'when did you even have a cat?!' while tossing a little kitty crate. Since this show has some amazing conservation of detail and never uses throw-away lines when it can foreshadow something, I think it was probably used by a younger Lion.

Honestly my first thought was Amethyst.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Rainy day. Sunny day.

( http://discount-supervillain.tumblr.com/post/125748557342/ )

( http://discount-supervillain.tumblr.com/post/125843504082/ )

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ursine Asylum posted:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love any of the fanart that has Lapis wearing shades like she's too cool for school

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

StringOfLetters posted:

Garnet never asks questions ever. Occasionally she tells people to explain things, but that's always for rhetorical effect. This is mostly because she's a boss who knows what's up, but also because she can foresee everyone's potential answers through future vision and doesn't need to bog down the main timeline with the details.

latter someone mentioned that it was actually a hard character rule for her (mentioned on twitter), but it's because of her confidence rather than her future vision (from being two people)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ursine Asylum posted:

The cat was mentioned in the episode earlier. The pilot version of "Li'l Butler" has a "cat named Money" instead of a dog. It's a piece of metafictional trivia that colours Greg and Amethyst's past.

It most likely is not a veiled message. Like how you shouldn't read Amethyst "seeing Greg's junk" literally either. It's innuendo, but it's there to set up the mood (uncomfortable intimacy) instead of their factual past. When Steven asks about the cat, it's him calling Greg and Amethyst out for not being able to move on. It's an almost subconscious allusion: the weird trivia is part of the hoarding, the hypnotic effect of the past. The cat carrier the emptiness of their Li'l Butler obsession made concrete.

e: But maybe there actually is an upcoming episode about how Greg smuggled Amethyst as a cat as part of an elaborate heist :v:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 4, 2015

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

e: But maybe there actually is an upcoming episode about how Greg smuggled Amethyst as a cat as part of an elaborate heist :v:

I'm just picturing Greg and Amethyst going around Beach City doing a reverse Michigan J Frog prank.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Why would you do this to us.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rewatching the start of Season 2, I just realised Sour Cream was almost certainly conceived in Greg's van during Story for Steven

They've got a ton of this stuff all planned out already haven't they?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

But gems are already light themselves. What good would tanning do?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

SpacePig posted:

But gems are already light themselves. What good would tanning do?

Fill them with power, like superman.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Gruckles posted:

Fill them with power, like superman.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

This gets even funnier if you've read PLANETARY.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

MariusLecter posted:

This gets even funnier if you've read PLANETARY.

Guess I need to reread it then, but that's fine, it's great.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Rewatching the start of Season 2, I just realised Sour Cream was almost certainly conceived in Greg's van during Story for Steven

They've got a ton of this stuff all planned out already haven't they?

I think the actual case was that Marty came back to Beach City at some point. Amethyst met Vidalia though Greg, but also knew who Marty was. (There was also a set of photobooth pictures of Vidalia and Amethyst where she shapeshifts into an ugler version of Marty.)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I didn't think Superman could breathe in space. I seem to remember him needing a spacesuit in the cartoon.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Also he's defacing a historical site :colbert: Superman is a dick.

I wonder if humans still went to the moon in SU. No Cape Canaveral.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I didn't think Superman could breathe in space. I seem to remember him needing a spacesuit in the cartoon.

The movies disagree, but also Superman's powers are weird and sometimes just complete rear end-pulls. He can make you suffer selective amnesia if he kisses you ffs.

Kazy posted:

Pearl said several humans, a dog, and a monkey have gone into space, so the space race seems to have happened. Then again maybe this time the moon landing was faked.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 4, 2015

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kazy posted:

Also he's defacing a historical site :colbert: Superman is a dick.

Greg's aunt and uncle had spaceship parts, so... probably?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Brightman posted:

Pearl said several humans, a dog, and a monkey have gone into space, so the space race seems to have happened. Then again maybe this time the moon landing was faked.

Maybe in SU they all went together and had wacky adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Superman can do whatever the gently caress he likes.

• Locked thread