Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

i went over this moring to get some mail that went there and also to talk b/c she crashed her car into this big truck thats been parking across the street and she was pissed about it.
:ohdear:

i hope she is ok smythe and that her car isnt too badly messed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

:ohdear:

i hope she is ok smythe and that her car isnt too badly messed up

shes fine but the car is hosed up hard core. she was backing out of the garage and its a narrow hill and the garage has like a steep and irregular ramp and the back of the car got eaten by the big truck and broke all the back windows + hosed up the trunk. anyways it was a good laugh. rip to the car

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Rumor says that Google is going to offer custom email addresses to non Google Apps for Business/Education accounts. Looks like Hot Male is getting it's rear end kicked.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Yaos posted:

Rumor says that Google is going to offer custom email addresses to non Google Apps for Business/Education accounts. Looks like Hot Male is getting it's rear end kicked.

how would this work? would they just buy the domain or something?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

shes fine but the car is hosed up hard core. she was backing out of the garage and its a narrow hill and the garage has like a steep and irregular ramp and the back of the car got eaten by the big truck and broke all the back windows + hosed up the trunk. anyways it was a good laugh. rip to the car
i am glad to hear your mom is okay and unhurt smythe

:rip: your moms car

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google+: what went wrong?

http://mashable.com/2015/08/02/google-plus-history/

tl;dr: everything

three thoughts after reading that article
- looks like the key problem was that it launched with great hype but it didnt have any features that made it so much better than facebook that it was worth switching. when google did add features no one bothered to check them out because theyd already tried the heavily hyped google plus and were underwhelmed. conclusion: in tech you dont get a second chance to make a first impression so make your first impression count

- the narrative (company identifies existential threat, company moves heaven and earth to confront existential threat, company fails completely) reminded me a lot of msft in the 2000s when they suddenly realized what a threat that google posed to them and poured huge efforts into countering google (bing, its own ad network, etc) only to end up with a result indistinguishable from just setting all that money on fire. google should be alarmed

- the article doesnt mention how much damage google has done to its reputation and user experience by spending the last four years trying to shoehorn g+ and a requirement for g+ accounts into every corner of its services. i suspect it is considerable

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
it makes me sad that google cargo culted facebook so hard on launch
fb already owned everyone's real identity and so the googs had an actual opportunity to be the social media of your Internet personality

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ahmeni posted:

fb already owned everyone's real identity and so the googs had an actual opportunity to be the social media of your Internet personality

*raises paw*

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i still contend that the only thing wrong with g+ was the way it was framed. it was terrible before there was single sign in for every google service and moving to a unified profile for all their services was not only necessary for them but really nice for the user as well

idk why they thought selling it as a social network would help when simply consolidating the accounts and making available the sharing platform (without framing it as the centerpiece) would have accomplished exactly the same thing without any of the backlash

rolled out complete and across all their properties instead of piecemeal and with emphasis on tying you to your real identity (information they certainly already had) would have accomplished every stated goal and been celebrated but their halfassed culture killed any chance of it working oh yeah and buzz making everyone skeptical of whatever they were going to do next lol

ufarn
May 30, 2009
g+ would probably have been okay as a modest attempt to connect different services without gobbling them up as an independent platform

sorta like friendfeed, or another service that used apis to gather it in one place

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Can someone tell me what Google is thinking with the new profile switching in Chrome, it's as if they all got into a meeting with the premise that they had too many users and needed to make their web browser more annoying and horrible to use.

With the newest versions of Chrome they even removed the flags so that you can't switch back anymore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fredrik1 posted:

Can someone tell me what Google is thinking with the new profile switching in Chrome, it's as if they all got into a meeting with the premise that they had too many users and needed to make their web browser more annoying and horrible to use.

With the newest versions of Chrome they even removed the flags so that you can't switch back anymore.

ive seen it used with olds who could in no way understand different os user accounts (nor would they want to) but want their browser poo poo separate like unique email links and bookmarks

why they think someone whos grasped unique logins would want it without a way to disable it i cannot fathom

i mean if theres just one user account hide the switcher how difficult is this

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

google bad

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I would like an invite to google bad

surprise! it's been in public beta for years!

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

qirex posted:

I would like an invite to google bad

surprise! it's been in public beta for years!

Everyone kept talking about how Google Bad was the future so they cancelled it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

amc's really phoning it in these days

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

though mutiny already looks like a cook house so they didnt have to redress the set much

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cant wait for season 3 when gordon shaves his head and starts writing malware for low level russian thugs on westnet and mutiny using the handle 'moore' ('i am the one who clocks') and claiming to double profits every 18 months for customers

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

tech bloggers are now saying twitter should be acquired by google lol. instead zuck should buy it

cremnob posted:

once twitter gets cheap enough zuck needs to buy it and keep it out of the hands of google

cremnob posted:

that and because their businesses are inherently vulnerable and have non-existent moats (compared to other industries). but out of the two google is the most afraid and trying to protect their legacy business. zuck on the other hand realized a while ago that facebook.com wasnt going to be the future of the company and has been making plays ever since.

if twitter tanks enough, zuck will probably try to buy it. twitter isnt gonna go cheap tho, there'll probably be a bidding war between google and facebook. facebook doesnt have as much cash to offer but they can afford to pay a lot more in stock. google would probably have to pay a lot more in cash (as a proportion of cash and stock) for their board to take their bid over a less cash + tons of stock bid from facebook. its gonna be a poo poo show for google either way. they either miss out on a huge property which is the most pop-culturally relevant social network or they get it by blowing a gently caress ton of cash and diluting shareholders (which is worse than if facebook does it)

or twitter's management isnt completely poo poo and they start making money

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

cremnob posted:

tech bloggers are now saying twitter should be acquired by google lol. instead zuck should buy it

why would anyone buy a website that makes no money
...oh wait

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

ive seen it used with olds who could in no way understand different os user accounts (nor would they want to) but want their browser poo poo separate like unique email links and bookmarks

why they think someone whos grasped unique logins would want it without a way to disable it i cannot fathom

i mean if theres just one user account hide the switcher how difficult is this

I use it with work where I have different google accounts.

It's very nice to not having to log out of windows because you need access to a specific google drive. It was my favorite Chrome feature, not so much anymore.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fredrik1 posted:

I use it with work where I have different google accounts.

It's very nice to not having to log out of windows because you need access to a specific google drive. It was my favorite Chrome feature, not so much anymore.

what is different about it now? it seems to work the same way it always did

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

what is different about it now? it seems to work the same way it always did

No, it used to be that you had an icon on the top left that you clicked and changed your profile, it was a one click kinda thing, super easy, fast and no hassle at all.

A couple of months ago they changed it, but you could change a flag to roll back to the old way of doing it, that flag was deleted in the latest version.

The new way of doing it is just worse in every way.

It's a small button, on Windows 7 it resides next to the minimize button (that for example collides with desk-pin), for an unknown reason they made it a text field that's not even big enough to hold a default profile name so it gets cut off. Clicking on it gives you a menu from where you can click on a button that opens another window where you can finally select your profile. You can not disable this or have it not shown even if you only have one profile.

In the latest release they provided a right click option that works somewhat like the old profile manager but since the button is so small it still takes four times as long to change a profile and even then right clicking a menu for what should be the default behavior is really dumb.

The only thing you gained from this is that you can push this button and another one to go incognito, but I can already do that in the menu, a place I'd rather be switching my profiles as well but can't for whatever reason.

It feels like a hack to get the functionality in before they ran out of time, without any kind of thought behind it.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 5, 2015

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

serious question. why isn't the profile switcher in the hamburger menu like everything else?

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I like to believe that whomever designed the menu button was just really really hungry at the time.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ludwig van Halen posted:

serious question. why isn't the profile switcher in the hamburger menu like everything else?
or, how come it's visible if there's only one chrome profile

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
u cna dodge this menu if it offends so much with the free and open source chromium browser my friends. all the plugins none of the gripes. epic

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
:chome:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Woohoo, my "Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast" arrived. Google cannot be bothered to release a 5Ghz Chromecast but instead release an Ethernet adapter you can plug in.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MrMoo posted:

Woohoo, my "Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast" arrived. Google cannot be bothered to release a 5Ghz Chromecast but instead release an Ethernet adapter you can plug in.

And: you paid money for it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i share my internet with my downstairs neighbor and when i click teh chromecast button i see his LG WebOS TV as a receiver #rotor_was_here

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:rip: rotor

too beautiful for this gay forum

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

thank you all

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

tbf to google the ethernet adaptor is actually quite a nice design. if it was sarnsung it would just be hanging out the usb port and you'd have to choose between powering it or using ethernet until someone on ebay started selling a third party cable to do both.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

ahmeni posted:

I think Furcadia already has that market.

Fox News reports on why Google is supporting terrorism with fake accounts would be great though.

Fredrik1 posted:

In the latest release they provided a right click option that works somewhat like the old profile manager but since the button is so small it still takes four times as long to change a profile and even then right clicking a menu for what should be the default behavior is really dumb.
Seems to work fine for me.

Just more people whining because something changed to be better and they would rather have the old worse way for no reason.

Apple was scroogled today and lost $113 billion in market capitalization. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2015/08/04/apple-stock-implosion-billions/31110665/

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Yaos posted:

Apple was scroogled today and lost $113 billion in market capitalization. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2015/08/04/apple-stock-implosion-billions/31110665/

revenue is up 30% year over year, market capitalization falls

makes sense

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Yaos posted:

rip cremnob

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

revenue is up 30% year over year, market capitalization falls

makes sense

Google's P/E ratio is over twice that of Apple, which means investors think Google has a better future for growth than Apple. The biggest growth potential are the self driving car programs. Apple is certainly working on an SDC, but they started way after Google and don't have any self driving cars on the road. If Google can get a stranglehold on the SDC transportation market, then Apple is screwed when they try to sell their million dollar SDC rather than implementing it like a taxi or mass transit.

All the traditional car makers are completely hosed no matter what because they don't have the slightest clue how to do anything with software and they have no intention of learning. The first SDC off the line at Ford will find the nearest cliff and drive off of it, even if that cliff is hundreds of miles away. They'll forget to have a way to track the car, so they'll have to send out a tweet asking if anybody has seen it.

Scroogled again.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
fortunately google has no idea what to do with hardware

• Locked thread