Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

14 INCH SLIT posted:

he just wanted it to have it

:bahgawd:

Side note: Do people actually pay actual money for these pieces of poo poo?
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/5129647298.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5090562586.html

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Guy who gave the car back decided now someone else wanted it he'd take it after all.

E:well it went to the home of all 3rd gens eventually. T he dude apparently has over 10 vehicles pulled apart, and said he just wanted it to have it. But it was a best friend situation so now it's gone to rot with all the others.

Seriously? What the gently caress man, that's lovely :argh:

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

It can now safely rest in the natural habitat of the 3rd gen Camaro: perched on top of some cinder blocks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Out of 18 cars only the cop car had working AC and quite frankly I don't think anyone needs AC :colbert:

Come move to inland california and get back to me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

Come move to inland california and get back to me.

Move out of the ninth circle of hell

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Ninth Circle is frozen. Sixth is the hot walls of iron.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've lived in Florida for over 20 years and can honestly say I could live without a/c. It's all about heat mitigation before you even get in the car, if you can keep the temps to reasonable levels while it's parked that's half the battle, the other half is to keep moving. If you're stuck in traffic you're pretty much hosed, but if you're used to the heat it's tolerable. My Miata has a/c and I think I've used it maybe three or four times.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

I've lived in Florida for over 20 years and can honestly say I could live without a/c. It's all about heat mitigation before you even get in the car, if you can keep the temps to reasonable levels while it's parked that's half the battle, the other half is to keep moving. If you're stuck in traffic you're pretty much hosed, but if you're used to the heat it's tolerable. My Miata has a/c and I think I've used it maybe three or four times.

That's lovely provided you have the option of parking not in direct sunlight for much of the day. My sun shade is deforming after a year of use (no tint either).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tint/sunshade/vent shades go a long way and help way more than you think it would.

My Camry sits in direct sunlight all day but with those three things the heat isn't bad at all. The only time I use the a/c in the Camry is for my wife and son, when I'm by myself I hardly use it unless I'm in traffic. Guess I'm just used to the heat :shrug:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you following along at home I just lost my gas cap

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh

oh no :(

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The one that was stupidly hard to find a replacement for in the first place? Some rear end in a top hat steal it again?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

14 INCH SLIT posted:

For those of you following along at home I just lost my gas cap

THAT'S HOW WE GOT INTO THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leica posted:

Modern cars are not designed for cooling without A/C (convertibles excepted).
Also, without going into an dry v. wet heat argument, I do think as far as the heat inside a car is concerned because it is mostly a greenhouse type effect, actual heat matter more than heat index. And 110 is loving hot as balls.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nm posted:

I loving love driving on the highway in my older-than-most-of-you 944 with the windows open and even better the sunroof open of off.

Cars simply aren't designed for this anymore. The old mechanics tale of AC being worse on fuel economy than opening the windows on newer cars is absolute bullshit. Things are designed for max efficiency (at all costs) with the windows up.

You can't open the windows in much of anything new above 40 anymore without noise and or super annoying buffeting.

I'll just stay back in my day and be happy. I still wear an onion on my belt. And want the tilty vent windows you can flick you cigarette out of like on 70s trucks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

And want the tilty vent windows you can flick you cigarette out of like on 70s trucks.

Smoker windows, I remember those!

I know I have started hitting my limits on terms of new vehicles. You can't even drain the oil normally on the new LR4's... it has to be vacuumed out. gently caress that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Also, without going into an dry v. wet heat argument, I do think as far as the heat inside a car is concerned because it is mostly a greenhouse type effect, actual heat matter more than heat index. And 110 is loving hot as balls.

Uh yeah, 110 is pushing it. Average here is about 90 in the middle of the summer, hot but tolerable.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Motronic posted:

I loving love driving on the highway in my older-than-most-of-you 944 with the windows open and even better the sunroof open of off.

Cars simply aren't designed for this anymore. The old mechanics tale of AC being worse on fuel economy than opening the windows on newer cars is absolute bullshit. Things are designed for max efficiency (at all costs) with the windows up.

You can't open the windows in much of anything new above 40 anymore without noise and or super annoying buffeting.

I'll just stay back in my day and be happy. I still wear an onion on my belt. And want the tilty vent windows you can flick you cigarette out of like on 70s trucks.

My C10 is awesome for this. Even at 80mph with both windows down there is like no wind in the cab. The car show postcards on my dash dont even flap around. That and it has those GM kick panel vents and vent windows for non-annoying amounts of airflow. Sucks about the part where Ill probably die in any kind of accident, mild or wild, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

leica posted:

Some of us need the AC just to clear the goddamn fog off the inside of the windshield thanks to spending the summer at 90 degrees and 90 percent loving humidity.

Goddamn great plains.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Having the windows down is usually acceptable if you crack the rear a little as well. Otherwise yeah buffet city or that weird pulsing sound effect.

I don't care if the AC is more efficient I like my windows down even if I have to put my arm in a weird position because door sills are getting so high :argh:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I would dispute AC being more efficient, even with modern(ish) cars. In my E46, I average 9.3L/100km if I use the AC over my average driving cycle. Without, I average 8.5L/100 km. This is measured over several tanks with and without the AC running (no, I have nothing better to do with my time).

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
The e39 buffets like mad with the windows down.

Hell, when one of my rear window regulators failed, I thought I was going to pop an ear drum at 55mph because of it!

Old cars have lot of vents in the rear to prevent this.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's why I love three piece tops on Miatas. Zip the rear window down and BAM instant bikini top, plenty of airflow with the sun off your head. Wranglers are the best at this, if you have a/c in a Wrangler you're doing it wrong.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

I would dispute AC being more efficient, even with modern(ish) cars. In my E46, I average 9.3L/100km if I use the AC over my average driving cycle. Without, I average 8.5L/100 km. This is measured over several tanks with and without the AC running (no, I have nothing better to do with my time).

The e46 was introduced 17 years ago so I don't think it can even qualify as modernish anymore.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Galler posted:

The e46 was introduced 17 years ago so I don't think it can even qualify as modernish anymore.

Eh, I drive a 5 year old econobox and get 32 mpg with a/c and nearly 38 with the windows down.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

IIRC variable displacement compressors on some cars can make a fairly good difference in fuel economy when its hot but not super hot out. They don't cycle like traditional compressors and instead vary load depending on need. Once it gets hot enough to require constant AC though their economy gains disappear.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mafoose posted:

The e39 buffets like mad with the windows down.

I've notices buffeting in the E39 in several window/sunroof up/down configurations. It seems to be more resonance-based, so changing one of the other windows a bit usually resolves the issue.

Driver's window cracked, right rear window 3" down gives a tremendous amount of airflow, even at slow speeds.

I've never seen a new car get any louder than an old one with all of the windows down, I think Motronic is just getting old.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I've never seen a new car get any louder than an old one with all of the windows down, I think Motronic is just getting old.

I think the article below is the reason for that. I mean the physicist is just theorizing that's why it's more noticeable on modern cars but his logic does seem sound.

http://jalopnik.com/why-do-slightly-opened-car-windows-make-that-awful-soun-1447498738

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
No tach, no A/C, and a radio named Craig: an evening drive with Dr 14" Mullet MD

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I found this hanging around on my porch and immediately thought of you.

Fooling around with the flashlight trying to get the focus right and she finally got annoyed with me and scuttled north up her web... and into a crack right next to the loving doorbell. Welp.

If you look close in the second and third images, you'll see the reflection of my camera's flash in her lowermost eyes. She was goddamn watching me.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I don't usually have a problem with spiders, if they just stay out of my bedroom and bathroom, we are cool. I don't want them on me or near me when I'm vulnerable (taking a poo poo, sleeping, showering).

I just saw what I hope was a loving massive Giant House Spider (incidentally, very hard to distinguish from a hobo spider) right above my toilet tank. I rolled up a magazine to smash it, and I guess the fucker knew what was coming, because it ran behind the tank.

I can never use my toilet again.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I had a sewer roach do that. Cue the longest 15 minutes of my life til it emerged enough to kill it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

scuttled north up her web... and into a crack right next to the loving doorbell. Welp.

I suggest a polyurethane sarcophagus.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You know the entire point of brick is that it doesn't burn. Ordered another gas cap now that I know Goldwings used the same one. $13 shipped isn't too bad but I still have to wait for it to show up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually, this is a bonus. It's not like I ever ring my own doorbell, and my friends don't either. So it's only solicitors who are risking black widow sting if they dare to intrude. I'll just leave her there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

leica posted:

As someone who grew up in Houston, I can say this is horseshit. You -never- get used to the heat. My first car was a bug with no A/C, then the piece of poo poo Accord that had A/c for 3 days, then the Jetta that had A/C for 3 years. After that, I was finally able to afford real cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're right, it must be horseshit because YOU can't hack the heat. What was I thinking, I was lying to myself the entire time!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

leica posted:

You're right, it must be horseshit because YOU can't hack the heat. What was I thinking, I was lying to myself the entire time!

To be fair though I hydrate like a mofo and have had legitimate heat exhaustion/stroke 3 times this summer and counting, one on a day that dared to hit 80 degrees

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

14 INCH SLIT posted:

To be fair though I hydrate like a mofo and have had legitimate heat exhaustion/stroke 3 times this summer and counting, one on a day that dared to hit 80 degrees

does your internal temperature regulator run at 102 or something, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Yeah you might want to check the thermostat - if you need a new one make sure to test it in a pot of boiling water before you install it.

• Locked thread