Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I'm digging Windows 10 and am comfortable using it after only a few days. WAY more sleek and intuitive than 8 is, although the Start Menu's live tiles and Action Center notifications make my laptop feel like a big phone now. :v:

Will be interesting to see the final version of Windows Phone 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not phone hardware news, but HERE Maps has been sold to Audi, Mercedes and BMW

http://gizmodo.com/nokia-has-sold-its-here-maps-to-audi-bmw-and-mercedes-1721699041

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I hope that doesn't mean that it'll stop working as an app for android/ios/wp because HERE is my favourite navigation app. :ohdear:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Nokia...

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Any new news on the 940? I heard it would be out this year, but I haven't seen an official announcement yet so I don't know how accurate this is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

Any new news on the 940? I heard it would be out this year, but I haven't seen an official announcement yet so I don't know how accurate this is.

General consensus is that if they don't push it out in the fall when all the new phones come out they're idiots

then again we already knew they are in fact idiots so v:v:v

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I don't see most of the "cool" features being ready to go. WM10 is suffering from incredible "I'm out of memory and I'll just close whatever you're doing" in the latest fast build. Outlook still randomly choses the wrong account to display when you select a notification about mail. Browsing files in the on device camera roll says no files, but photos shows them. It's got a way to go yet.

Now if the new phones make it out and still on Windows 8.1 (I could see that, I mean what are they testing on if it's coming up in a month or so for release?), that would suit me fine for now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I thought WP10 didn't even have a release, I don't think anything is going to ship with that for a while.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

Ugh, god drat it. Should have waited for this. Well if that flagship phablet WP is true I'll just get that I guess.

Got my 1520. Followed the instructions to enable the 1700 4g band for extra signal on T-Mobile (go to dialer, dial ##3282#, hit the 3 dots on the bottom, settings, change from automatic to manual, then go to bands 13/14 active and check the 1700 band.)

Tap Scroll issue exists. It's not too bad honestly, just annoying. Can't imagine the Snapdragon 810 will run the OS that much better, since the 800 doesn't feel all that much faster than the 920, except for the resuming screens.

Wish I had gotten a different color than Red. Glossy back makes it slippery and phone is drat huge.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
My 1520 comes in this Friday. I'm really hoping the touch issue is bearable for as long as it takes me to buy a new flagship.

The phone with the closest specs to the 1520 is the 930/Icon, but those are still priced too high for my taste; the lack of microSD storage blows, I hear the battery isn't the best, and worst of all it isn't always compatible with AT&T LTE bands except in some cities (?). And it's missing bright-as-gently caress yellow as a color option. I need me some b.a.f. yellow...worse yet is the Icon only comes in boring-as-gently caress black --no offense to anyone that loves black phones.

Greatest advantage of the 930 IMO is the size being reasonable instead of a 6" monster, though I'm quite used to my cousin's 5.7" Note 3.

Basch lives! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 4, 2015

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Zarfol posted:

Got my 1520. Followed the instructions to enable the 1700 4g band for extra signal on T-Mobile (go to dialer, dial ##3282#, hit the 3 dots on the bottom, settings, change from automatic to manual, then go to bands 13/14 active and check the 1700 band.)

wait that's a thing you can do? what are the bands you have access to now?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Network and services is going to be their new core.

I do wonder what this spells for here maps. :ohdear:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Darth TNT posted:

Didn't here maps get sold to a bunch of European car companies over the weekend?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Didn't here maps get sold to a bunch of European car companies over the weekend?

Yep, that's why we're wondering what will happen with the app itself.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Basch lives. posted:

My 1520 comes in this Friday. I'm really hoping the touch issue is bearable for as long as it takes me to buy a new flagship.

The phone with the closest specs to the 1520 is the 930/Icon, but those are still priced too high for my taste; the lack of microSD storage blows, I hear the battery isn't the best, and worst of all it isn't always compatible with AT&T LTE bands except in some cities (?). And it's missing bright-as-gently caress yellow as a color option. I need me some b.a.f. yellow...worse yet is the Icon only comes in boring-as-gently caress black --no offense to anyone that loves black phones.

Greatest advantage of the 930 IMO is the size being reasonable instead of a 6" monster, though I'm quite used to my cousin's 5.7" Note 3.

For what it's worth, the battery life on my Icon has been excellent, even after over a year (18 months?) of heavy use. GPS is a big drain--as it has been on every phone I've ever had--but I can get several hours of calls in over Bluetooth, have Wi-Fi going, and not need to plug it in until the end of the day.

I'm unsure where reports of bad battery life come from for this phone, to be honest. Games, perhaps?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

My guess is that they will keep it around as a sort of CI testing ground for the in-car systems they are actually looking to build based off of it. At least that seems the sensible thing to do. Little reason to keep it on all platforms though, so bad news may be coming even if so...

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Microsoft licensed HERE for the Windows 10 built in maps app at least.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

wait that's a thing you can do? what are the bands you have access to now?

There's a link on WP central that describes the "hack".

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/326565-how-t-lumia-1520-rm-940-t-mobile-wind-mobilicity-aws1700mhz-hspa-band-4-a.html

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Microsoft licensed HERE for the Windows 10 built in maps app at least.

Well, that's a relief because I use HERE on both android and windows phone and I don't know what we could use in WP as alternative.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

My guess is that they will keep it around as a sort of CI testing ground for the in-car systems they are actually looking to build based off of it. At least that seems the sensible thing to do. Little reason to keep it on all platforms though, so bad news may be coming even if so...

Part of HERE Maps functionality is tied to many users having it so that it can track traffic patterns and other things. They'll likely keep HERE Maps for phones to get all of those extra data points.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Guillermus posted:

Well, that's a relief because I use HERE on both android and windows phone and I don't know what we could use in WP as alternative.

Waze, which is better anyway.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

wormil posted:

Waze's WP app is no longer supported since Google bought them, quelle surprise

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wormil posted:

Waze on android for some reason takes forever to get my location, has no offline maps wich is a nice feature on HERE, lets me minimize my data usage since my data plan isn't great (1.5gb data/month).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
gently caress Waze forever. It attempts to avoid any construction, no matter how minor. Guess which neighborhoods never have any road construction? The bad ones. Waze might as well be called, "Let's get off the highway and drive through the ghetto instead."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

loquacius posted:

I uninstalled Songza when I heard the announcement because I knew there was no way it would see another update. Meanwhile Skype on Android blows Hangouts out of the water.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

I uninstalled Songza when I heard the announcement because I knew there was no way it would see another update. Meanwhile Skype on Android blows Hangouts out of the water.

Now let's be fair here, most messaging apps on Android are better than Hangouts. Hell, even Google updates the iOS version before the Android one. Which sounds very familiar to what another company does....

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Guillermus posted:

Waze on android for some reason takes forever to get my location, has no offline maps wich is a nice feature on HERE, lets me minimize my data usage since my data plan isn't great (1.5gb data/month).

Waze on my windows phone kicks rear end. Like yesterday my daughter and I were going to the dmv. In Waze I type DMV and the closest one pops up. My daughter uses Here, she types DMV and gets a list of random dmvs in random states across America. So she adds our city and state, same result. Finally go to Bing and find the closest dmv and use the directions link. I mean Here is not a bad app but I find it frustrating. Waze is just a superior app all around. Sorry to hear they were bought by Google.

Edit, we were driving separately.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

loquacius posted:

It's such a shame. Waze on WP hasn't been updated in a very long time, and some things are already broken and likely never getting fixed. For instance, it no longer shows the price on the gas station map.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

wormil posted:

Waze on my windows phone kicks rear end. Like yesterday my daughter and I were going to the dmv. In Waze I type DMV and the closest one pops up. My daughter uses Here, she types DMV and gets a list of random dmvs in random states across America. So she adds our city and state, same result. Finally go to Bing and find the closest dmv and use the directions link. I mean Here is not a bad app but I find it frustrating. Waze is just a superior app all around. Sorry to hear they were bought by Google.

Edit, we were driving separately.

I've been using CoPilot GPS recently and it blows here drive out of the water. It also has offline maps and gives alternate routes as well. Goes on sale for ~$5 every so often.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Ynglaur posted:

gently caress Waze forever. It attempts to avoid any construction, no matter how minor. Guess which neighborhoods never have any road construction? The bad ones. Waze might as well be called, "Let's get off the highway and drive through the ghetto instead."
I really like this post.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Leaked 950 XL photos.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/4/9094797/microsoft-lumia-950-xl-images-leak

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
looks as uncomfortable and frustrating as every other windows phone

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Then why you keep coming here aside from obvious trolling?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

Then why you keep coming here aside from obvious trolling?

mostly the obvious trolling ngl

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

looks as uncomfortable and frustrating as every other windows phone

The article says it's in a protective case. That's not the real look of the thing.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Just grabbed a 640 after getting sick of the 8X and wow, I should've gone Lumia from the start.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

wookieepelt posted:

The article says it's in a protective case. That's not the real look of the thing.

It's like that swirly camo wrap they put on yet-to-be released cars out in the wild I guess. Seems like it's unnecessary at this point since it looks to match the existing leaks almost perfectly.

The Manticore posted:

Just grabbed a 640 after getting sick of the 8X and wow, I should've gone Lumia from the start.

I had a similar path, started with an 8X and then jumped ship to a 925. I liked the look of the 8X, but the Lumia absolutely blew it away.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

That sure is a rectangle with a screen on it :shrug:

If nothing else I'm glad there's a leak happening because it re-confirms that there is work going on, but there's not really anything in particular to conclude from it if you're not obviously trolling

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
After 20 months I finally got a wireless charging cover and charger for my 925. And it didn't work out of the box. I did a little mod of putting paper under the contacts and now it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Manticore posted:

What differences did you notice?