Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
How can you tell if someone is a bad football coach?

David Hale ‏@DavidHaleESPN Jul 27
Only 3 P5 teams lost 5 games decided by a TD or less last year, All were in the #ACC.
#VaTech - 2-5
#UVA - 2-5
#Pitt - 1-5

David Hale ‏@DavidHaleESPN Jul 27
Of the 30 P5 teams with the most points off turnovers last season, only 3 had losing records: #UNC, #UVA & #Miami. (18 won at 9+ games.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Scarf posted:

Corso's head smells.

He gets his own head. They just don't want to violate their ~sacred traditions~

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Cocks have reported to camp.

29 more days...

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Will Grier put on like 25 pounds of muscle since last season. Ready to start.

:getin:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Raku posted:

He gets his own head. They just don't want to violate their ~sacred traditions~

They're afraid he'll poison the head.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Y'all should play us again. Its bullshit. I'm sure LSU fans are real pumped to see LSU/Chattanooga or LSU/McNeesee State instead of LSU/Tulane.

The AAC is trying to shoehorn a Tulane/Tulsa rivalry in. gently caress that. And gently caress LSU too.

:colbert:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Y'all should play us again. Its bullshit. I'm sure LSU fans are real pumped to see LSU/Chattanooga or LSU/McNeesee State instead of LSU/Tulane.

I'm guessing for most LSU fans those games are pretty much indistinguishable from playing Tulane.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

MourningView posted:

I'm guessing for most LSU fans those games are pretty much indistinguishable from playing Tulane.

:smith:

For now, yeah. We've beaten them before, and we'll beat them again. LSU has slump years just like anyone else. Michigan over the past few years is LSU in the 80s. Tulane can be competitive every so often when we get a Terrance Jones/Shaun King/Matt Forte.

No one expects Army to beat Navy. But they still play every year.

LSU just doesn't want to schedule a OOC road game against a G5, and doesn't want to risk dropping a game to an in-state FBS school in the best recruiting state in the country.

I get it. Nothing to gain and everything to lose versus playing a warm body FCS at home. Makes sense from their point of view. But gently caress them anyway. Its everything that is wrong about college football right there.

Maybe things will change when the SEC bans FCS like this Big10. Who knows.

EDIT- Contract was broken in 2010 when LSU said they wanted all the games at Baton Rouge or they would cancel the series. Tulane said go gently caress yourself. And rightfully so.

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 4, 2015

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Grayly Squirrel posted:

:smith:

For now, yeah. We've beaten them before, and we'll beat them again. LSU has slump years just like anyone else. Michigan over the past few years is LSU in the 80s. Tulane can be competitive every so often when we get a Terrance Jones/Shaun King/Matt Forte.

No one expects Army to beat Navy. But they still play every year.

LSU just doesn't want to schedule a OOC road game against a G5, and doesn't want to risk dropping a game to an in-state FBS school in the best recruiting state in the country.

I get it. Nothing to gain and everything to lose versus playing a warm body FCS at home. Makes sense from their point of view. But gently caress them anyway. Its everything that is wrong about college football right there.

EDIT- Contract was broken in 2010 when LSU said they wanted all the games at Baton Rouge or they would cancel the series. Tulane said go gently caress yourself. And rightfully so.

Doesn't LSU still owe Tulane a game in New Orleans? It'd be cool to play it in Yulman Stadium but the Super Dome might make more sense from a ticket selling perspective. It's a shame they don't play right now. I wish Tulane played at least one Louisiana team a year. La Tech, UL LA (weird how their student body this they are UL), or LSU would be fun just for fanbase interaction.

edit: Nico Marley is ready for the season. (If this were a broadcast, you'd be told he is Bob Marley's grandson about 6 times.)

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 4, 2015

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't mind if LSU played Tulane yearly, alternating between NOLA and Baton Rouge.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grayly Squirrel posted:

The SEC won't even go to 9 conference games. They aren't going to ban FCS anytime soon.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 4, 2015

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Tulane get good again or at least decent enough to beat Louisiana-Lafayette. Also you guys were dumb to leave the SEC. Also gently caress you guys for that time you tried to steal our tiger. Also congrats on the new stadium

Bring back the Battle for the Tiger Rag

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Spintzel posted:

Tulane get good again or at least decent enough to beat Louisiana-Lafayette. Also you guys were dumb to leave the SEC. Also gently caress you guys for that time you tried to steal our tiger. Also congrats on the new stadium

I think we will suprise some folks this year. Returning the same number of starters as 2013-- the last bowl season when we made a run at the CUSA title.

Spintzel posted:

Fix'd that for you.

Best part is the scores from back in the day.

What the gently caress does a 8-6 game even look like? Or 5-0?

And a 0-0 tie? :psyduck:

Grayly Squirrel fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 4, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Grayly Squirrel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI5h14cM1gA

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Is there a rules- or offensive philosophy-related reason why so many games back in the day ended in shutouts?

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Spintzel posted:

Also gently caress you guys for that time you tried to steal stole our tiger.

Also this is a great story for those who don't know.

gently caress college kids today. Teabagging in a Krystal Burger? Poisoning a tree?

These kids stole a loving tiger. And painted the the fucker.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Slate Action posted:

Is there a rules- or offensive philosophy-related reason why so many games back in the day ended in shutouts?

Somebody light up the Det-signal.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Slate Action posted:

No forward pass.

Back in the day football was essentially just 'Murica version of rugby. Where we re-set after hitting the poo poo out of each other so you don't need to be in shape to play.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Grayly Squirrel posted:

gently caress college kids today. Teabagging in a Krystal Burger? Poisoning a tree?

Can you even imagine the collective bedshitting that would happen if some drunk college kids spray painted a tiger?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Slate Action posted:

The forward pass only became legal in 1906 and it took years before it was used less like a trick play and more as a regular part of the offense and it took to the 20s to drop the rugby ball shape and adopt more of what we recognize today as a football.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 4, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Spintzel posted:

we'll do it as a 4-man cage match...

Clemson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPA8YpJAvsc

LSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJcKq6GvFw

Auburn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26n12QHeoGU

Missouri
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2KTYx2A-T0

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Grayly Squirrel posted:

This owns SO hard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

The forward pass only became legal in 1906 and it took years before it was used less like a trick play and more as a regular part of the offense.

The ball was different and way harder to throw, teams turned it over like crazy back in the day. Offenses in general just weren't nearly as good for a lot of reasons. Nile Kinnick won the Heisman in a runaway as a halfback who ran for less the 400 yards (he also threw for 600 and was a very good cornerback/kicker/punter, but still)

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Talking about old timey football led me to daydreaming of a return of one-platoon football, where everyone has to learn multiple positions and we stop encouraging linemen to be obese

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Talking about old timey football led me to daydreaming of a return of one-platoon football, where everyone has to learn multiple positions and we stop encouraging linemen to be obese

I want this very much.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Playing both ways seems like a really good way for a lot of people to get hurt.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Playing both ways seems like a really good way for a lot of people to get hurt.

Guys would quickly become smaller ala Aussie rules football and rugby if football went to single platoons. Which would limit injuries.

Personally I like the specialization aspect of football, but I can see the appeal of going back to single platoons.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Fix'd that for you.

You guys lost the right to call it the Victory Flag after you burned it :colbert:

Also so much of LSU's traditions are revolved around our rivalry with Tulane. LSU used the colors blue and white for the longest time. And then changed them on a whim one day because it was easier to find Mardi Gras colors and Tulane already had green so we grabbed the rest.

I'd love to see a competitive rivalry between LSU and Tulane again.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Spintzel posted:

You guys lost the right to call it the Victory Flag after you burned it :colbert:

Allegedly burned the flag. All I know is the original is missing.

:iiam:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Guys would quickly become smaller ala Aussie rules football and rugby if football went to single platoons. Which would limit injuries.

I am not really sure that would actually happen and it seems like limiting the number of times they collide with another human being while running very fast is probably a good idea.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

I am not really sure that would actually happen and it seems like limiting the number of times they collide with another human being while running very fast is probably a good idea.

D-lineman already rotate a lot. Kill the ability to rotate in a bunch of players, plus make them play offense, and they'd have to get smaller. I doubt you'd see smaller wide receivers or anything, but I'd expect lines to shrink to more like what is currently inside linebacker/fullback type sizes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grayly Squirrel posted:

What the gently caress does a 8-6 game even look like? Or 5-0?

We know what that looks like at least.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Explanation I saw on Twitter for the Corso mascot head thing is just that Aubie's head doesn't detach from the suit.

If we're taking old-timey pranks, in 1896 Auburn students greased the railroad tracks as Georgia Tech was coming to town and they supposedly slid five miles past Auburn. Today that would get you sent to Gitmo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

If we're taking old-timey pranks, in 1896 Auburn students greased the railroad tracks as Georgia Tech was coming to town and they supposedly slid five miles past Auburn. Today that would get you sent to Gitmo.

drat that's amazing

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Explanation I saw on Twitter for the Corso mascot head thing is just that Aubie's head doesn't detach from the suit.

Old football = best football

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

So much for Georgia Tech "engineers".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Faltese Malkin posted:

Speaking of great uniforms, San Diego State just unveiled some new ones:

http://www.goaztecs.com/view.gal?id=181916

SDSU's new helmet is world class

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
God it's embarrassing how much cooler and cleaner that uniform/helmet are than anything Adidas has done. Adidas's version of that would just have some kind of goofy rectangular pattern for the helmets and their dumb trademark chain-link fence poo poo all over the shoulders/neck.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
At first I was like "that's a pretty bold color for a helmet" but then I saw the pattern and I'm impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

pugnax posted:

Can you even imagine the collective bedshitting that would happen if some drunk college kids spray painted a tiger?

Can you imagine the bedshitting if a university bought and housed an endangered animal today?

• Locked thread