Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Closest I think anyone's ever gotten in-universe is Vilgefortz who obliterated Regis' body, and for all we know that takes centuries or millennia to regenerate from - it took 50 from decapitation by his own words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

God that scene with Menge and Triss is nauseatingly tense. And the brain-sticking at the end is ridiculously gratifying because he is suuuuuch a oval office.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Ice Fist posted:

Not loving up the carnal sins quest.

You can gently caress this up? I guess that would be by stabbing Nathaniel as soon as you see him poking with his poker?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nobody Interesting posted:

You can gently caress this up? I guess that would be by stabbing Nathaniel as soon as you see him poking with his poker?

I did. I knew something was wrong, especially since this one character was super creepy, but game didn't give me a way to fix it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Nobody Interesting posted:

Yes. When you run in there's a timed decision: either kill him immediately or say "hmmm no embalming fluid?" and realize it's a setup. He'll then tell you he's being framed by the Vampire and he's by the docks. You can kill Nathaniel anyway though.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

Yes. When you run in there's a timed decision: either kill him immediately or say "hmmm no embalming fluid?" and realize it's a setup. He'll then tell you he's being framed by the Vampire and he's by the docks. You can kill Nathaniel anyway though.

drat, i hosed this up too. I just chopped that fuckers head off. felt good man

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

JetsGuy posted:

I did that because I felt like it was dumb to do the other thing. He's clearly a Hannibal Lecter type so if he's genuinely surprised that you're accusing him of a grosser crime then something is up.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

etalian posted:

It's also avoids the grim dark trap by having a good sense of humor like in the drunk witchers night out scene.

Every time Geralt sees a portal I cant help but laugh cause I'm sure he's going to mention how much he loving hates portals. Also any time that would invoke the memory of Geralts fight with the Zeugl because I know he's going to go "You should have seen that one time I fought a zeugl"

e-I wish one of the DLCs has him fight a Zeugl again, I would love to see Geralt's reaction to the entire quest.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 4, 2015

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Is it ever explained in King's Gambit mission for Cerys what that baby that Geralt threw into the oven was? Was it some kind of illusion or a real baby of some Skellige peasant?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Palpek posted:

Is it ever explained in King's Gambit mission for Cerys what that baby that Geralt threw into the oven was? Was it some kind of illusion or a real baby of some Skellige peasant?

I asked this same question - it seemed really bizarre that the implication was that he didn't really do anything bad because it was some other baby. Apparently if you look at the room behind the stove (during the quest - the door is closed afterward), there is a hole in the back and the guy pulls him right out.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Palpek posted:

I'm pretty sure its a real baby. The Jarl seemed to know the kid.

which is why i was like "yo bitch, pump the brakes on this" :staredog:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

At one point in that mission when you go see the Jarl you'll see the baby in a crib near the porch of the dudes house with the jarl close to it. I'm assuming its either his kid or a charge or something

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I asked this same question - it seemed really bizarre that the implication was that he didn't really do anything bad because it was some other baby. Apparently if you look at the room behind the stove (during the quest - the door is closed afterward), there is a hole in the back and the guy pulls him right out.
Ah ok, thanks. Although that's information you'd expect to see as one of the optional dialogue questions.

Also I know that it's the Jarl's kid. I just didn't know how they faked his death - who I was actually throwing into the fire. Jeffrey explained that already though.

Too bad about the 3 soldiers I had to kill to make the thing seem real though.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 4, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah no mention of the fact that you actually did do a bad thing in killing soldiers who were defending said baby. For Geralt, killing infants is bad, killing soldiers is Tuesday.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Palpek posted:

Too bad about the 3 soldiers I had to kill to make the thing seem real though.

I think you could just defend for some time, like that other time near Novigrad.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

alex314 posted:

I think you could just defend for some time, like that other time near Novigrad.

Yeah, if you just hold out for a few seconds, then it'll go on with the reveal.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

alex314 posted:

I heard that, so I tried defending for a good three minutes, and then tried taking them all down to half health. Didn't work. I don't think I did any finishers on them, so I guess they could just be seriously wounded or something.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Look, if you don't want to get your head chopped off dont carry a sword around Geralt. And if you're actually dumb enough to draw it, welp

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

alex314 posted:

What?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

poopzilla posted:

Look, if you don't want to get your head chopped off dont carry a sword around Geralt. And if you're actually dumb enough to draw it, welp

With as renowned s Geralt is, I still can never understand why people think they can take him. Even if they don't know who he is, he's dressed in some of the finest armor around, covered in scars (so you know he's seen his share of action), has mutated cat eyes, and carries TWO swords. Who would be dumb enough to challenge him?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

l33t b4c0n posted:

With as renowned s Geralt is, I still can never understand why people think they can take him. Even if they don't know who he is, he's dressed in some of the finest armor around, covered in scars (so you know he's seen his share of action), has mutated cat eyes, and carries TWO swords. Who would be dumb enough to challenge him?

Eh, remember that, for most people Geralt is the only time they've encountered a Witcher. It's a time where everyone tells tall tales but also everyone's seen some poo poo. There are basically two types of people who attack Geralt: People who haven't seen a lot of poo poo and hence have an infated sense of how badass they are, and people who have seen a lot of poo poo and killed at least several people in battle so rightfully believe they are above average badasses. You can't really fault people for not realize that basically every story of Geralt being a huge badass is true.

edit: It's also part of the theme that ignorance is one of the roots of violence.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I think he's referring to the point in Carnal Sins where the guards at the Vegelbund manor think you're the murderer. But even in that case I dodged around for about two minutes and the cutscene didn't happen until I nearly killed a guard.

l33t b4c0n posted:

Also, people feel very secure in numbers. It can be hard to miss, but there is even a bandit's diary you can find while exploring in Velen that basically says "nobody can hold out against superior numbers for long" when talking about how they came upon a merchant they later killed that was a well trained swordsman.

However, these is a random side quest where you'll approach some guys at a bridge charging tolls and you can actually make them back down by pointing out your medallion and swords. Not everyone is a moron.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 4, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you're a thane or whatever and your jarl's kid just got thrown into a fire and you stand there looking like an idiot not pulling your sword out odds are your career/life is over regardless.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Ice Fist posted:

I think he's referring to the point in Carnal Sins where the guards at the Vegelbund manor think you're the murderer. But even in that case I dodged around for about two minutes and the cutscene didn't happen until I nearly killed a guard.

Also, people feel very secure in numbers. It can be hard to miss, but there is even a bandit's diary you can find while exploring in Velen that basically says "nobody can hold out against superior numbers for long" when talking about how they came upon a merchant they later killed that was a well trained swordsman.

However, these is a random side quest where you'll approach some guys at a bridge charging tolls and you can actually make them back down by pointing out your medallion and swords. Not everyone is a moron.

Yeah, I loved that. "Hey, see these? Mutant murderbeast here. Still want to 'charge me a toll'?"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, I loved that. "Hey, see these? Mutant murderbeast here. Still want to 'charge me a toll'?"

I absolutely LOVE the delivery of that guy in the background trying to get his bosses' attention.

"Do you see my medallion?"

"HEY! HEY BOSS!"

"That means that I'm a Witcher. Let me through"

"HEY BOSS! HEY!"

"Oh, right you are, master Witcher. Please be on your way."

*Geralt leaves*

"HEY BOSS! THAT GUY'S A WITCHER!"

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Carnal Sins, there actually is a very early hint that something does not mesh up, because at one of the murder scenes Geralt notices that the escape route the killer took required jumping up a wall not even a Witcher could jump up.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The dude's not a katakan by the way, he's a higher vampire. Only way to kill those permanently is extremely high level magic.

Also Geralt's a great swordsman and all but even great swordsmen can die in this setting. I mean, a random peasant kid with a pitchfork killed him that one time.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Crappy Jack posted:

I absolutely LOVE the delivery of that guy in the background trying to get his bosses' attention.

"Do you see my medallion?"

"HEY! HEY BOSS!"

"That means that I'm a Witcher. Let me through"

"HEY BOSS! HEY!"

"Oh, right you are, master Witcher. Please be on your way."

*Geralt leaves*

"HEY BOSS! THAT GUY'S A WITCHER!"

In my playthough, during the cutscene, 4 drowners popped out of the water, killed the bandits, looked at me, then ran off. :3: :black101:
That's when I knew I truly loved this game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

l33t b4c0n posted:

Uh, because when you're at the top, everyone wants to challenge you to dethrone you bro. It's the nature of competition.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Snak posted:

Eh, remember that, for most people Geralt is the only time they've encountered a Witcher. It's a time where everyone tells tall tales but also everyone's seen some poo poo. There are basically two types of people who attack Geralt: People who haven't seen a lot of poo poo and hence have an infated sense of how badass they are, and people who have seen a lot of poo poo and killed at least several people in battle so rightfully believe they are above average badasses. You can't really fault people for not realize that basically every story of Geralt being a huge badass is true.

edit: It's also part of the theme that ignorance is one of the roots of violence.

The real answer is "it's a video game" but I think way more people should be wary of him.
I would think anyone that lives in Novigrad probably knows who he is (because Dandelion doesn't shut up) and he's pretty distinct looking. And he's known for two things: being the best swordsman and banging lots of sorceresses. Random bandits probably wouldn't attack someone that looks like a legendary monster slayer who is also clearly armed to the teeth.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Spite posted:

The real answer is "it's a video game" but I think way more people should be wary of him.
I would think anyone that lives in Novigrad probably knows who he is (because Dandelion doesn't shut up) and he's pretty distinct looking. And he's known for two things: being the best swordsman and banging lots of sorceresses. Random bandits probably wouldn't attack someone that looks like a legendary monster slayer who is also clearly armed to the teeth.
I agree that it is a videogame, but strength in numbers, a penchant for violence, ignorance, and arrogance causes people to do dumb things.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Just started playing on PS4. Had it since release but only now can really put time into it. I'm awful at RPGs so I probably have lots of dumb questions.

I'm taking screenshots as I go. Just a thing I like to do. And this is one of the few games where the faces of NPCs are varied and interesting, even if a bit ugly. Cool lighting is also important.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Professional killers give Geralt poo poo all the time in the books, too.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

I really don't care about the why. I'm just glad all these idiots enjoy running headlong into my steel

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

poopzilla posted:

I really don't care about the why. I'm just glad all these idiots enjoy running headlong into my steel

Yeah thank Christ the entire game isn't the main character cowing everyone into stunned fear simply by existing.

Hemmelfart: 'WHAT? Geralt is here and he's not happy? QUICK, release all the prisoners and let's get out of town'

Eredin: "Welp, Geralt's here, time to wrap this up fellas. Nothing we can do bout the white frost now. GG"

FIN

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone else care to throw down the gauntlet and declare this the best game ever made? Because that's what I'm doing right now.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Definitely.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
In that one part where someone asks you "You think your two swords can take on forty?" I really really really wanted the option to say "Yes". :(

I don't even remember exactly when that was, just the disappointment that it was a scripted cutscene and not an intro to a fight.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2015

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else care to throw down the gauntlet and declare this the best game ever made? Because that's what I'm doing right now.

It's defo on the short list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm at the point in the story where I have completed the main questline in Skellige, and I have to go back to velen to talk to the Baron. How far am I into the main story?