Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's funny getting the eso weapon and soul eater now normal hitting for how much it used to crit for. This scaling is crazy yo.

Did you go from Law 180 weapon to Eso? Or ravana ex weapon to ESO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Weapons look cool, buy weapons

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

SirPhoebos posted:

I got lucky and managed to get a green weapon from my first Nevereap run, so my first Eso purchase was for the shield (the Eso sword is next, of course).

:whitewater:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Today's version of :gitgud: is very interesting.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

As goons everything must be extreme. Pointing out that someone is making a sub-optimal choice by not going weapon first isn't just pointing out that they made a sub-optimal choice by not going weapon first, it's EXTREME pointing out that they made a sub-optimal choice by not going weapon first.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 4, 2015

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?

SirPhoebos posted:

I got lucky and managed to get a green weapon from my first Nevereap run, so my first Eso purchase was for the shield (the Eso sword is next, of course).

I can't see this being anything other than a troll.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vaguido posted:

Because unless you do all of your content solo (spoilers: you can't), your subpar gear choices affect other people? And this choice is literally a no-brainer that doesn't require extensive work to figure out the best option? Jesus Christ, people used to bitch about Belzac posting, but there is not enough bitching about you vomiting garbage onto this forum. I don't think you've had one halfway decent post in this thread.

You're trash, we get it, no one cares. Go be terrible somewhere else.

If people are unable to complete WhaleDad or BugDad EX without Eso weapons. Eso weapons won't change that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirPhoebos posted:

Please let this be a joke post

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

:redass:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I'm glad we can add "gigantic moron" next to "creepy weirdo stalker" on the Mordiceius character sheet

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

If people are unable to complete WhaleDad or BugDad EX without Eso weapons. Eso weapons won't change that.

This is true. If you're not competent enough (in whatever way is the issue, be it socially finding competent people, or doing damage, or dodging mechanics, or whatever), no upgrade is going to really fix that underlying problem. Enough upgrades can eventually let you squeak by on the "doing damage" front, I suppose. Though you'll get there a lot faster by doing a bit of reading on the internet and playing with a target dummy for 15 minutes.

This does not, however, in any way change the fact that for a given player (competent or not), a weapon upgrade will improve their performance more than any other upgrade.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Actually, better gear can make even bad players do enough damage to get past DPS checks.

I'm fairly accepting of people in the game not making the most efficient, highest DPS, best rotation choices, etc... Not everyone reads up on information or asks questions about such things.

But if you are posting in an online forum thread devoted solely to this game, I expect you to at least passively absorb knowledge from it. Maybe give two shits about the game? What else separates you from the "pubbies" you constantly blame all of your problems on?

If you choose to be willfully ignorant of the information posted here than so be it.

Doublestep posted:

I'm glad we can add "gigantic moron" next to "creepy weirdo stalker" on the Mordiceius character sheet

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I bought an esoterics ring last week, and my esoterics necklace this week. I hope to get my belt today.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ntan1 posted:

I bought an esoterics ring last week, and my esoterics necklace this week. I hope to get my belt today.

I am sorry about your numerous and recent failures in life.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
People getting mad about this remind me of the people who would get mad when they would get paired with a newbie in Prae or CM that actually wanted to watch the cutscenes on their first time through the dungeon.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Boten Anna posted:

I am sorry about your numerous and recent failures in life.

hey at least he can clear bismarck extreme

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you're way behind and you should still quit while you're ahead

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you look at stat upgrade per eso though would the accessories be a good value? Especially for the ring. Better than the chest/legs possibly? (assuming weapon first still though)

I had heard the chest/legs are the worst value in token pieces (4 instead of 1). but not sure how the math works for esoterics.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

As goons everything must be extreme. Pointing out that someone is making a sub-optimal choice by not going weapon first isn't just pointing out that they made a sub-optimal choice by not going weapon first, it's EXTREME pointing out that they made a sub-optimal choice by not going weapon first.

Look if you can't handle SA-EX don't queue for it. Its not hard.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

People getting mad about this remind me of the people who would get mad when they would get paired with a newbie in Prae or CM that actually wanted to watch the cutscenes on their first time through the dungeon.

No it really isn't the same. At all. It's not even new advice, it's been around since 2.0; whenever a new tier of gear comes out, the weapon is the one thing that causes the most increase in effectiveness at your job, be that Tanking (you make more threat) DPSing (big numbers woo!) or Healing (epic heals, leading to more time to DPS). If you haven't figured out by now (level 60 and several weeks of capped Eso tomes) that the weapon is the single biggest decider on your performance you are willfully bad and ignorant.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Pews posted:

If you look at stat upgrade per eso though would the accessories be a good value? Especially for the ring. Better than the chest/legs possibly? (assuming weapon first still though)

I had heard the chest/legs are the worst value in token pieces (4 instead of 1). but not sure how the math works for esoterics.

esoterics i believe the best upgrade path is weapon, belt next week, chest in two weeks, head/gloves/boots in three, and then it kind of branches off from there based on your class

Doublestep fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 4, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

orange juche posted:

No it really isn't the same. At all. It's not even new advice, it's been around since 2.0; whenever a new tier of gear comes out, the weapon is the one thing that causes the most increase in effectiveness at your job, be that Tanking (you make more threat) DPSing (big numbers woo!) or Healing (epic heals, leading to more time to DPS). If you haven't figured out by now (level 60 and several weeks of capped Eso tomes) that the weapon is the single biggest decider on your performance you are willfully bad and ignorant.

I have never said that weapon isn't the biggest upgrade. I just think that some people may not pick weapon first and that does not make them wrong. It just depends on what their goals in the game.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Pews posted:

Quick and easy way that ignores substat weights: Do (tome cost)/(main stat increase you'd get). Lower is better.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
have you asked your wife how she feels about weapon upgrades

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thundarr posted:

Despite the fact that I'm going all in for fishing scrip gear, I found that chysahl / adamantite is just more reliable for farming red scrips. If my time window is limited and overlaps anyway I may as well go for the guaranteed items. It's s cool bonus for anybody who only has Fisher at 60 though.

That said, my blue scrip farming for folklore books is all fishing. Thank you, Illuminati Perch.

Tell me your fishing secrets because I have never had any luck with perch!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Failboattootoot posted:

Tell me your fishing secrets because I have never had any luck with perch!

Waterfall sightseeing cave, goblin jig.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Doublestep posted:

esoterics i believe the best upgrade path is weapon, belt next week, chest in two weeks, head/gloves/boots in three, and then it kind of branches off from there based on your class

TooManyUzukis posted:

Quick and easy way that ignores substat weights: Do (tome cost)/(main stat increase you'd get). Lower is better.

Thanks for this. I'll do some checking when I get home from work.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
Goblin jigs work well but brute leeches from blue scrips are 10000x better.

This is true for red scrips fish too. Never leave home without brute leeches.

petcarcharodon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 4, 2015

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Truga posted:

Source your quotes.

Making a stupid argument to point out how someone else is being stupid is a time-honored goon tradition. :colbert:

I honestly don't give a gently caress who spends their eso tomes on what. What's laughable to me is the people trying to argue that buying your weapon first isn't the mechanically correct and courteous choice.

If fashion is more important to you than being better at your job and by extension, being courteous to the other people in duty finder with you, shine on you crazy diamond!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I have never said that weapon isn't the biggest upgrade. I just think that some people may not pick weapon first and that does not make them wrong. It just depends on what their goals in the game.

I agree that it does not make them wrong. But it absolutely makes them less effective than they could otherwise have been.

Depending on their goals, how much those depend on their effectiveness, and how much they care about each of those goals, that drawback could range anywhere from irrelevant to shooting themselves in the foot.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

If your goal is to be nice and helpful to the people around you in this group-based cooperative game and you play either a DPS or Tank, the objectively correct choice is the buy a weapon first. If you don't want to be courteous to others, then you can buy literally anything else.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I am also here to make a big deal about stupid poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Vil posted:

I agree that it does not make them wrong. But it absolutely makes them less effective than they could otherwise have been.

Depending on their goals, how much those depend on their effectiveness, and how much they care about each of those goals, that drawback could range anywhere from irrelevant to shooting themselves in the foot.

Well we can agree on that. The right choice is weapon when it comes to content efficiency, but many many people don't care about that.

For the people like myself who will hit 60 post release of esoterics, many will probably pick up whatever fills the holes in their gear. If they have an ilvl 190 weapon but have ilvl 160 pants or boots, they may opt to go after those.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
A whole lot of people in this thread suck at playing catgirl dress up. I bet they even have the stupid floaty orange numbers turned on that get in the way of seeing outfits.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, what comes to mind as a counterexample is, as a player on Balmung, the RPers.

Many of them, as far as I can tell, spend all their in-game time typing out paragraph-length emotes (very slowly), and quite possibly never run dungeons, do other group content, or even level up very much.

So yes, to a player like that, I could absolutely see that effectiveness in the in-game combat would be completely and utterly irrelevant to their interests, and would have no impact on anyone else either.

(But yes, most people actually do group content of some sort, even if only with strangers, and the point applies - at least to some degree - to the general population.)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

oh my loving god gas the thread already

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mordiceius posted:

Well we can agree on that. The right choice is weapon when it comes to content efficiency, but many many people don't care about that.

For the people like myself who will hit 60 post release of esoterics, many will probably pick up whatever fills the holes in their gear. If they have an ilvl 190 weapon but have ilvl 160 pants or boots, they may opt to go after those.

at was my thought too: All things being equal, of course Weapon is the first thing to upgrade, but when I had just gotten an upgrade to my Weapon it was worth weighing a slight upgrade to your weapon against a larger increase for a different item, the choice didn't seem as clear cut.

If my calculation was wrong, then fine, it's not like the end game is stingy with Esoterics.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

KaneTW posted:

oh my loving god gas the thread already

i think we need a bunch more stupid arguments where people defend bad choices with the colbert emoticon and/or replying to posts you disagree with with the ever hilarious "source your quotes" meme

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Body last week, eso belt bought and upgraded this week, and weapon in 2 weeks from now. Not going to lie, I'd like the weapon sooner but I'd still make the same choices given the options I had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I tried telling my sch buddy who has actually cleared a1 savage to get the weapon first and he said chest is better because the crits on aldo allow him to dps longer. And he prefers the chance at crits over no crit increase if he went weapon first. :idgi:

• Locked thread