Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The drug of militant leftism shouldn't go in the right hand, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The right hand of the worker is the tool which destroys international capitalism. :ussr:

Except for left handed workers.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Paladinus posted:

The drug of militant leftism shouldn't go in the right hand, imo.

I read it in terms of Telegraph triumphalism that Corbyn's campaign, fueled by "the militant left," is going to bolster support for the right [because he's "unelectable" etc etc]. But that might be too charitable a reading, and it's probably just a much simpler "Corbyn is on the militant left and the militant left are bad like drugs"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's the former Labour members arm wrestling champion.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's winning because of the militant left, which should be banned because they aren't fair :qq:

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Cloud Potato posted:

Don't cry for me. I'm already dead.

Observer:

"A new political lexicon - Chris Riddell’s handy primer on modern expressions"

Oh hey, Riddell is doing different comics than his usual standard, good for Riddell.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If... July 20-23

The Labour beans are back! Have some 94 vintage Blair by Bell as well as some turn of the century Labour beans:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ahaha the one-eyed beans
Is it just me or is Blair looking a bit Purple Tentacle

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I knew he looked familiar!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Is there some deeper meaning to the Labour party being beans, then?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I posted a bit about this in the other toons thread but as near as I can tell it started out because Heinz Beans and the Labour party were celebrating their centenaries at around the same time. It looks like Bell adopted it as shorthand for Blairites, presumably because they're bland, characterless and it's almost impossible to tell one from the next.

Also fart jokes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Niric posted:

I read it in terms of Telegraph triumphalism that Corbyn's campaign, fueled by "the militant left," is going to bolster support for the right [because he's "unelectable" etc etc]. But that might be too charitable a reading, and it's probably just a much simpler "Corbyn is on the militant left and the militant left are bad like drugs"

Talking about entryism in terms of performance enhancing drugs is quite a clever metaphor, at least for a daily polititoon, and you have to be a real pedant to berate a cartoonist for preferring to use the arm on the reader's left, rather than Corbyn.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009

Party Boat posted:

I posted a bit about this in the other toons thread but as near as I can tell it started out because Heinz Beans and the Labour party were celebrating their centenaries at around the same time. It looks like Bell adopted it as shorthand for Blairites, presumably because they're bland, characterless and it's almost impossible to tell one from the next.

Also fart jokes.

Just from the book (which has the centennial story-line), that seems as right as anything. Blair being one-eyed seems to be an evolution of the caricature, as bell Usually shows him with one eye closed and one wide open(His first drawing of him in the book is a black outline with one eye but it's properly offset, not like a cyclops).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Class snuggle! :3:

These Labour beans are kind of adorable.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I just ran across an article by Bell where he talks about struggling with early Blair caricatures and when it all fell into place:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2007/may/11/tonyblair.labour2

e: and here's the pivotal Blair toon he describes

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 3, 2015

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Excellent work, Party Boat.

Guardian:

Telegraph:

Independent:

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
that indy one is loving top. spot on

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Not to step on Cloud Potato's toes but today's Mac is quite extraordinary.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Holy gently caress. That's got to be one for the GAA.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
No, other people posting toons is excellent!

And :eyepop: at that Mac.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's clever satire that reveals the classist underpinnings of anti-immigration thought.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

tdrules posted:

Fixed (because Tory).

Soz for poor taste, but Mac started it.

edit: ah sorry. Thought this was the Trot UKMT thread, not the cartoons one. If it's a problem I'll remove it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cilla wouldn't queue, she'd just barge in the front.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tooterfish posted:

edit: ah sorry. Thought this was the Trot UKMT thread, not the cartoons one. If it's a problem I'll remove it.
This is the thread that started butchering Paul Thomas cartoons and adding the Sheik of Wales into everything. I don't think it's a problem. :)

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

tdrules posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

J_RBG posted:

Jesus loving Christ.
That's what they're all so excited to get a look at.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

RBS sell-off.

Telegraph:

Not a clue, sorry.

Times:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does Kendall have thatcher's nose there? :allears:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

The telegraph one is about the unfolding accusations of pedo goings on of former (Tory) PM Ted Heath, who was a keen yaughtsman. Apparently keen on underage rentboys, too. But haha, who isn't?

Kidding, Plod

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I will never tire of Corbyn Irritates The Other Three cartoons. Good thing too because there's still more than a month left of the drat thing. The red nipple flags are a nice touch, I hope they're constantly spinning around.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

tdrules posted:

I like this one because the only loving way Mac is getting into heaven is as an illegal immigrant.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

Telegraph:

TV show "The Great British Bake-Off" just started.

Independent:

Burnham vows to renationalise trains.

Times:

Kids Company charity in closure warning

Mail:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This one is great from the density of caricatures alone. Just noticed the Hodges-Rentoul hunting rifle as well.

So have Rowson and Bell both broken with the Graun's editorial line on Corbyn?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Party Boat posted:

This one is great from the density of caricatures alone. Just noticed the Hodges-Rentoul hunting rifle as well.

So have Rowson and Bell both broken with the Graun's editorial line on Corbyn?

I like the Ted Heath-alump

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
catching up on my cross-posting

Oddly, this set has a few translations, and we get a glimpse of bell's Blair in the first strip.

The tag on the pouch in the very middle says "insert porage here"

Actually, this is totally a thing Elvis would do, as that whole "get a DEA badge" stunt with Nixon was just to carry as many guns and drugs as he could carry and not get in trouble.
the man in the first strip is Jack Straw, Home secretary, and we'll be seeing more of him (mostly hounding immigrants).

And now, the death of a princess
Git = idiot

Keening = a wailing for the dead/mourning

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Thanks for posting these - git is probably better translated as rear end in a top hat or poo poo though, if you care!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

George Osborne selling off RBS.

Telegraph:

London Underground strike.

Independent:

Times:

Start of 4th Ashes cricket match.

Mail:

Spicy food causes cures cancer.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I really like the second Independent one, a very good subversion of the original phrase that works as a picture too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh no, the Ed Balls cloning union has been delayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Bell time

The first we clearly see Blair in this book. Fellow walking behind him is Mandelson, who will be in and out of government office a lot.

Yeah, that last line is a real quote, oddly enough.

The meltiest Rambo, and song lyrics!

Down in the left corner we see Mandelson, , John Prescott as a dog ,and good ol' Gordon brown. Also Harriet Harman. Thanks to the Regular pol-toons thread for dog/lady identification.

• Locked thread