Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TTBF posted:

I'm thinking of doing a Ming run. Anyone have experience or advice for that?

Be prepared for a pretty boring game.

Much better to play as one of the Manchu tribes, that gives you something to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Yeah, owning Rome as a non-Catholic nation puts you on a rollercoaster of loving death and destruction. Then again, maybe my AE was just too high from trying to annex too much of Europe at once? Either way I have to restart my Ottomans game tonight because I'm not sure I can recover from being dogpiled by a 17 nation strong coalition right after fighting a 25 year long war to get Sicily, Rome, and some other territory. I liked the bonus from owning Rome, but immediately after I got hit with the early modern version of NATO.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I haven't had any problems taking over Rome, even in the latest beta patch. Of course I hadn't raked up a massive load of AE in the area beforehand (just a smaller one) and only grabbed that one province. The entire Catholic world is always so chill about it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I loved stacking crazy AE reduction bonuses and watching it melt away at like 5/year as the Ottomans. Anyone I did not take land from stopped giving a poo poo about me after a couple years, it was so hilarious. Poland and Austria gave no fucks that I was eating Hungary, but Hungary had like -200 relations because of AE.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
In my Ottos game I actually ended up maxing AE out with most of Europe. Turns out it only goes down to -999, but that doesn't really matter when you have 750k troops sitting on their borders.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
How can I get some AE reduction bonuses? It'd be useful for my next playthrough.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I loved stacking crazy AE reduction bonuses and watching it melt away at like 5/year as the Ottomans. Anyone I did not take land from stopped giving a poo poo about me after a couple years, it was so hilarious. Poland and Austria gave no fucks that I was eating Hungary, but Hungary had like -200 relations because of AE.

VDay posted:

In my Ottos game I actually ended up maxing AE out with most of Europe. Turns out it only goes down to -999, but that doesn't really matter when you have 750k troops sitting on their borders.

Yeah one of the major reasons I love taking Influence first as any non-colonizer. In addition the vassal bonuses which are great, that -20% AE is so friggin huge. If you can maintain high Prestige (not too hard), that's up to another -10% AE and +50% better relations. I'd only ever take Diplomatic early on as someone who wants the diplomat but is stuck at Duke rank (I'm looking at you, Austria). Influence is nice for vassal feeding and gives you a lot of breathing room on AE until you're huge enough to not care. It also probably saves you loads more DIP points in integration and unjustified demands discounts than the forgettable war exhaustion and dip tech discounts in Diplomatic.

quick edit:

HonorableTB posted:

How can I get some AE reduction bonuses? It'd be useful for my next playthrough.

Take Influence ideas very first as any non-colonizer. You don't have much use for the DIP points, dump them into Influence ideas for a sweet -20% AE reduction, vassal bonuses, diplo bonuses.

Maintain high Prestige, it's up to -10% AE and +50% better relations (AE decays faster) at max Prestige. Hire the +30% Better Relations adviser. All told that's 20-30% AE reduction, 50-80% better relations which should be plenty unless you're trying to bulldoze through the HRE.

Influence ideas also has a sweet event that gives an additional -20% AE reduction for 5 years. Not reliable but one of the best idea group events.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 4, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

HonorableTB posted:

Influence has an AE impact reduction/bonus, keeping your prestige up helps with RoT (relations over time) stuff which AE is, and a RoT advisor will all help. It doesn't stop you from getting a ton of AE if you do something like annex an HRE minor, but it'll take away that AE at something like 3-4 points per year which helps dissolve coalitions before the truces wear out and you get dogpiled.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Be prepared for a pretty boring game.

Much better to play as one of the Manchu tribes, that gives you something to do.

That bad? Not even expanding through all of Asia and colonizing California/Mexico will save it?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's not that bad, there just isn't really anything compelling about it either. You sit around being utterly indisputably top dog for hundreds of years until the Europeans come, by which point you'll probably have consolidated to the point that they're not a challenge either. The only slightly hairy situation is when you westernize, and after that brief period you're even more undestroyable. If beating up all your neighbors effortlessly and expanding across the pacific or whatever appeals to you then go for it- it appeals to me occasionally, until I actually start playing it again.

I haven't tried them since CS, but the Manchu tribes on the other hand might actually be drat near impossible now unless you get insanely lucky. Even with a united Manchuria plus gobbled up Korea and Japan I think you'll have a pretty hard time breaking into China. It's not just the lack of Inward Perfection that makes them so strong now- the new fort system is just devastatingly effective under China; they can afford to completely saturate their country with them, they keep them up to date 'cause of their cheap technology, and they get a whole bunch of fort defense bonuses in their decisions and ideas (like 50%), so they'll just bleed you dry over and over before you even make a dent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TTBF posted:

That bad? Not even expanding through all of Asia and colonizing California/Mexico will save it?

Nothing compelling is the right way to stop it. Even the Europeans will probably never attack you owing to your raw strength. Whereas the Jurchen tribes you spend close to a century just struggling to get by, which I think is way more fun.

HonorableTB posted:

Yeah, owning Rome as a non-Catholic nation puts you on a rollercoaster of loving death and destruction. Then again, maybe my AE was just too high from trying to annex too much of Europe at once? Either way I have to restart my Ottomans game tonight because I'm not sure I can recover from being dogpiled by a 17 nation strong coalition right after fighting a 25 year long war to get Sicily, Rome, and some other territory. I liked the bonus from owning Rome, but immediately after I got hit with the early modern version of NATO.

It's just the AE. In my Tunis game right before CS, I took Rome and nobody batted an eye.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah Ming can actually make the Great Wall of China which is just loving brutal with the new fort system. I fought a huge Ming blob as Russia in my India Power game because I needed a province their vassal had, and it is an unbelievable pain in the rear end. Have fun punching through a dozen+ border forts that are all like level 9 and have bonus defense and are in mountains and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The hilarious thing in my Ottoman game is that I didnt even take Influece :laugh: I had Humanist and Diplomacy's policy, Humanists idea, and an advisor, so my base RoT was around 80%. Plus persistent high prestige.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
China really does need to be weaker, but I hope they don't just straight up nerf them again. They were talking about completely revamping the espionage system back at the start of the year, and they could do a lot with China for that. Give its neighbors a way to destabilize it if they put a lot of effort in.

On the other hand I actually really like how China basically acts as an end boss now, being pretty much the only non-European power that can still almost go toe-to-toe with them really late in the game. In my Russia game, finally crossing Siberia as pretty much the foremost European power only to find a doom-China that controlled the entire East Asian steppe and had completely riddled it with forts was terrifying. It's a lot more fun to see that than a mess of militarily inert warring states that never try to reunify.

e: Japan is the famous one, but many of the East Asian states were pretty hardcore into isolationism in this time period, and I think that'd suit the game really well actually. You can go in as a player and be megaChina that gets its poo poo together and sails hundreds of thousands of men across the world to be interventionist in Serbia, but as the AI, most of the time at least, they just sort of wallow around in their inward perfection. China never had an ally-unto-death relationship with its neighbors and it's a bit weird how they do that all the time in the game- they shouldn't really give a poo poo about intervening unless it directly affects them (e.g. Imjin War). It'd make it a lot less painful to be in their periphery, and would also let you give them the 9000 development they deserve without turning the world into the Big Peach Blob by 1600.

e2: something like a new 'tributary' client state type that just makes Ming get really annoyed at them if they ever take an anti-China stance or competes with their interests or whatever. I dunno. it's kind of weird how Korea (and nobody else) is a vassal under Qing when that wasn't really their relationship at all.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 4, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Every time I play in Asia, I just use the console to kill Ming's stability and force an amazing China thunderdome that usually ends up with 2-3 large Chinese powers.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm having a hilariously easy time as France.

I started an ironman France game to pick up some easy achievements, but somehow lucked into a personal union with Castille within the first ten years; so I started gearing up to seize some land from Burgundy, but before I could start the war the Duke died and I got all that land for free in the inheritance event. Then as soon as I'd shoved out the English I got free claims on all of Naples for some reason, so after two short wars I was able to grab Aragon, Naples, and Provence, and make Sicily and Sardinia vassals despite the AE.

The game basically gave me the western Roman Empire, it's loving amazing.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ghetto Prince posted:

I'm having a hilariously easy time as France.

I started an ironman France game to pick up some easy achievements, but somehow lucked into a personal union with Castille within the first ten years; so I started gearing up to seize some land from Burgundy, but before I could start the war the Duke died and I got all that land for free in the inheritance event. Then as soon as I'd shoved out the English I got free claims on all of Naples for some reason, so after two short wars I was able to grab Aragon, Naples, and Provence, and make Sicily and Sardinia vassals despite the AE.

The game basically gave me the western Roman Empire, it's loving amazing.

Are you on track for Big Blue Blob?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Koramei posted:

e: Japan is the famous one, but many of the East Asian states were pretty hardcore into isolationism in this time period, and I think that'd suit the game really well actually. You can go in as a player and be megaChina that gets its poo poo together and sails hundreds of thousands of men across the world to be interventionist in Serbia, but as the AI, most of the time at least, they just sort of wallow around in their inward perfection. China never had an ally-unto-death relationship with its neighbors and it's a bit weird how they do that all the time in the game- they shouldn't really give a poo poo about intervening unless it directly affects them (e.g. Imjin War). It'd make it a lot less painful to be in their periphery, and would also let you give them the 9000 development they deserve without turning the world into the Big Peach Blob by 1600.
I might be misremembering but I think Johan and/or Wiz are very strongly against trying to force historical behavior through special AI. Other than the scripted idea group orders I don't think there's any tag-specific behavior, but I'm not a modder so I could be wrong.

Maybe somewhere down the line they'll dedicate a whole expansion to China mechanics because that's probably what it would take.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sindai posted:

Maybe somewhere down the line they'll dedicate a whole expansion to China mechanics because that's probably what it would take.
Considering what they have done for Poland and England's governments, plus the special religious stuff in the Americas, I could definitely see them continuing to give major historical countries special government types in new expansions. The Turks and Muslims in general, hordes, and China all could use some extra flavor that would add to the game as a whole even if the player was not playing those countries (like Poland's government works). I would love to see a Turkish succession crisis every succession because they add historical flavor to it...let outsiders support one faction (one of the dead sultan's sons) while he vies for power with his brothers.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

420 Gank Mid posted:

Are you on track for Big Blue Blob?

Oh gently caress yeah, I integrated Spain by 1550, and was all set to finish conquering Italy

but then I got distracted conquering the world.

I've also been pissing off my colonies and nobles to try and trigger the American / French revolutions and mix things up a little.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Doesn't the requirements for Big Blue Blob have to be completed before 1500? or was it 1600?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
Just thought I'd share a fun shot from my most recent game. France loving imploded faster than I've ever seen before with lucky nations on. (10 years from start)

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zettace posted:

Doesn't the requirements for Big Blue Blob have to be completed before 1500? or was it 1600?

It's 1500, but you could get Better Than Napoleon any time, at least.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

CaptCommy posted:

Just thought I'd share a fun shot from my most recent game. France loving imploded faster than I've ever seen before with lucky nations on. (10 years from start)

drat, you managed to sneak off with Tirol that early? How'd you pull off that? Poland?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man watching Venice's AI try to figure out their spread out island trading empire is ridiculous. Hungary, Venice, and Poland versus the Ottomans. Should be an easy win since they have double the Ottos troops. Venice can almost take them on their own. Except Venice isn't moving troops in to take the war goal or defend their sieged down islands or do anything. So Ottos just clean up the Hungarian and Polish armies one by one and win.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Cynic Jester posted:

drat, you managed to sneak off with Tirol that early? How'd you pull off that? Poland?

Yeah, Poland forced them to release whatever nation that is and I snapped it up. Austria declared war on me and took it back like 10 years later, but it was nice while it lasted.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Man watching Venice's AI try to figure out their spread out island trading empire is ridiculous. Hungary, Venice, and Poland versus the Ottomans. Should be an easy win since they have double the Ottos troops. Venice can almost take them on their own. Except Venice isn't moving troops in to take the war goal or defend their sieged down islands or do anything. So Ottos just clean up the Hungarian and Polish armies one by one and win.

AI Venice is literally the worst nation in the game to me for this reason. I refuse to ally an AI Venice because it will never contribute men, it will just sit on Venezia. They can have the only navy in the whole war, and yet they are still content to wait in the canals of Venezia. Even worse, one time I had a game where they left their men on Crete and never moved them off. They had cogs. They just didn't feel like it.

Venice is just the worst.

Fighting AI Venice is just laughable unless you are Albania. You just park some men on Treviso and wait. They will surrender eventually, give you all their money, war reps, and if you really feel like it, trade power too. For moving a few men onto two of their provinces.

At least England tries to land men in places, even if they have a habit of dying like one month after landing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've noticed England is great at attacking Continental Europe but only when they have their cores there. Once they lose the French lands they go back to being retarded and they lose every war against land powers despite having equal or greater numbers of troops. Venice is the same way. They can curbstomp the Balkans if they don't lose their fleet and they keep Dalmatia/Albania, but the second they lose their fleet or the land they completely forget how to play.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Another Person posted:

Venice is just the worst.

Fighting AI Venice is just laughable unless you are Albania.

If you are Albania, they just suicide inferior numbers of men into your god general at -2 to all rolls for marine assault and wipe immediately. My Albania or Iberia run got off to a fantastic start because they dec'd me week 1 and basically handed me army trad + Dalmatia.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fighting a big naval power is always uggggggghhhhhh. Especially in the Mediterranean, where it takes two seconds tops to go from Cyprus to Gibraltar.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What the gently caress?!

Equal diplomatic tech, I started out undamaged, they started out at ~96% each. I did 0 damage.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Crimea getting the little bit of land Genoa has in the Black Sea shouldn't drag Austria in as a co-belligerent. It's kinda weird seeing Europe go 'Oh no!' to that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TTBF posted:

What the gently caress?!

Equal diplomatic tech, I started out undamaged, they started out at ~96% each. I did 0 damage.
This is hilarious and have no loving clue.

Gorelab posted:

Crimea getting the little bit of land Genoa has in the Black Sea shouldn't drag Austria in as a co-belligerent. It's kinda weird seeing Europe go 'Oh no!' to that.
Yup it is ridiculous. It is obviously probably hard to code a solution but it is hilarious that Austria/the HRE Emperor gets pissy and drops everything when someone declares war on an HRE state for non-HRE lands. At least now after a certain time the Italian states get booted from the HRE, but that does not help Crimea/Ottoman AI.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Austria should get a distance penalty only if the core being targeted in the war is non-HRE land. Then they'd probably never defend Genoa for Scio or the Black Sea lands.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

TTBF posted:

What the gently caress?!

Were you watching it the whole time? Maybe a second fleet joined in the battle and then left part of the way through?

I did think that still showed up on the after-battle screen though

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gorelab posted:

gently caress that, my Karaman game would have gone nowhere if I didn't have Austria and pals beating up the OE while I backstabbed them.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Koramei posted:

Were you watching it the whole time? Maybe a second fleet joined in the battle and then left part of the way through?

I did think that still showed up on the after-battle screen though

That was their entire navy.

Bamford Brownstone
Jul 21, 2010
Dumb question, but what was your Naval Maintenance at?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Bamford Brownstone posted:

Dumb question, but what was your Naval Maintenance at?

and how obsolete were your ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why is the warn function in the game. I feel it only exists to make hard starts even harder. You can only use it on countries way weaker than you so there's absolutely no reason to ever use it as a player except to randomly get drug into wars when that tiny country manages to get a big ally.

• Locked thread