Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Thirsty Dog posted:

Every time people mention void pirates and rogue traders wrt Conquest it bugs the hell out of me that these cards are auto-include (at least one set of 3-of) and demand a 3x core and gently caress you if you're trying to ensure a good/fair selection of cards for 2 players to play against each other because even then 3x core isn't enough :(

Building 2 decks out of 3 cores is exactly the situation that works in conquest though, since you get 2 of the neutrals per core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

tijag posted:

Never let anyone take something back in a tournament. I've often wished I could take something back, but I don't even ask. It's not fair to have take backs. You shouldn't have let him take back up front. Unfortunately that was your biggest mistake.

It was a core set only release tournament with no money on the line, no cut for finding an actual champ, and only six rounds of swiss. It's not really a MtG Pro Tour.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Karnegal posted:

It was a core set only release tournament with no money on the line, no cut for finding an actual champ, and only six rounds of swiss. It's not really a MtG Pro Tour.

What was actual prizing for the event? I heard they had playmats, anything else?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Merauder posted:

What was actual prizing for the event? I heard they had playmats, anything else?

I think there were some tokens (targ maybe) for top 8 after swiss.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Karnegal posted:

I feel ya. Anything short of a GPQ or maybe the x-0 finals of a Regular REL I simply say gently caress it. For the LCGs anything lower than Store Championship is 100% casual.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
Playmats for top 16, acrylic power tokens for top 8.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Am I imagining things or was there supposed to be a messenger bag or something similar?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I looked up the playmat, saw its one with Jamie featured, says Kingslayer 2015 on it, etc. I really just want one of the ones they had at their booth for demos with the card zones outlined.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
When will this game be hitting our local nerd stores?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

Am I imagining things or was there supposed to be a messenger bag or something similar?

I think they do backpacks/bags for high pairings at Nationals or Worlds, but not for the relatively casual Kingslayer (which didn't even have elims, just 6 rounds Swiss and the top 16 and 8 get prizes).

If anyone wants to melt faces during the Thrones 2.0 OCTGN honeymoon, by the way:

"Kill kill kill"
House Targaryen/Fealty

Characters (34):
2x Magister Illyrio
2x Littlefinger
1x Unsullied
3x Braided Warrior
3x Handmaiden
3x Ser Jorah Mormont
3x Targaryen Loyalist
3x Rhaegal
2x Viserys Targaryen
3x Khal Drogo
3x Viserion
3x Daenerys Targaryen
3x Drogon

Locations (12):
3x The Kingsroad
3x The Roseroad
3x Plaza of Punishment
3x Illyrio's Estate

Events (10):
3x The Hand's Judgement
3x Dracarys!
2x Fire and Blood
2x Waking the Dragon

Attachments (4):
3x Milk of the Poppy
1x Drogo's Arakh

Plots:
Heads on Spikes
Calm over Westeros
Wildfire Assault
The Winds of Winter
Marched to the Wall
Marched to the Wall
Filthy Accusations

Strategy: Kill all their units and then run rampant. Khal Drogo, Dracarys!, and Plaza of Punishment all let you kill multiple units in a turn. Your plots let you finish them off - if you manage to kill all the small guys but they still have big characters out, play Marched to the Wall to get rid of their most important pieces. If you have an advantage but can't finish the job, Winds of Winter lets your attacks hit them extra hard.

If they play tons of units and you are having a tough time chewing through them all, play Wildfire Assault and then renew your attack. Dracarys! is extremely strong removal, and when combined with Daenerys, Plaza of Punishment, or Unsullied can kill almost any character in the game. Note that Dracarys! and Plaza of Punishment kill regardless of dupes (rulebook p. 19), so are great counters to otherwise-annoying units like Arya Stark.

Fealty lets you play surprise Dracarys! from 0 gold and makes getting Dany and Drogo out much easier. I like the "purity" of this deck from a fluff perspective, and it also makes the Targaryen Loyalists and Illyrio's Estates much better. It seems conceivable to me that a Banner of the Lion version of this deck might prove better, but I'm still not sure - and this one's been doing so well for me I'm loath to change it much!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

As someone who hasn't played the game yet, any reason why you wouldn't run Put to the Sword? Also, did Dracarys' wording change? I remember that the one in the preview article had really weird wording, in that it said it was an "Action" but the target could only be a character participating in a challenge, so why not just call it a Challenge Action?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

As someone who hasn't played the game yet, any reason why you wouldn't run Put to the Sword? Also, did Dracarys' wording change? I remember that the one in the preview article had really weird wording, in that it said it was an "Action" but the target could only be a character participating in a challenge, so why not just call it a Challenge Action?

Put to the Sword is expensive, doesn't pierce through dupes, and requires not just wins but big wins. I'd be more inclined to run Tears of Lys, which would have the added effect of making all my challenge types dangerous (military for normal killing guys, power for Plaza of Punishment, intrigue for Tears of Lys). Besides, if I'm getting Khal Drogo through unopposed I'm probably winning anyway.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

Building 2 decks out of 3 cores is exactly the situation that works in conquest though, since you get 2 of the neutrals per core.

Bah, lovely memory I guess. I have 2 cores as it is and for some reason thought those were 1-ofs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fetterkey posted:

Put to the Sword is expensive, doesn't pierce through dupes, and requires not just wins but big wins. I'd be more inclined to run Tears of Lys, which would have the added effect of making all my challenge types dangerous (military for normal killing guys, power for Plaza of Punishment, intrigue for Tears of Lys). Besides, if I'm getting Khal Drogo through unopposed I'm probably winning anyway.

It's probably something to play around with once I get it, but now that I see your deck I'm really tempted to go Targ/Greyjoy, deviating from the original plan of Greyjoy/Baratheon after I realized that the loyal Greyjoy cards were pretty eh. Also, what deckbuilder were you using?

I just realized that Descendants of Isha came out in May, which is sorta killing the momentum for Conquest in my group. Conquest already advances at a glacial pace, so what the hell is up with a 3 month delay between expansions?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GrandpaPants posted:

It's probably something to play around with once I get it, but now that I see your deck I'm really tempted to go Targ/Greyjoy, deviating from the original plan of Greyjoy/Baratheon after I realized that the loyal Greyjoy cards were pretty eh. Also, what deckbuilder were you using?

I just realized that Descendants of Isha came out in May, which is sorta killing the momentum for Conquest in my group. Conquest already advances at a glacial pace, so what the hell is up with a 3 month delay between expansions?

FFG is simply running way too many "monthly" games at the moment (plus there was the company takeover or whatever the hell happened with Asmodee) so things are slipping.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The Tyranids are awesome and worth the wait.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

FFG is simply running way too many "monthly" games at the moment (plus there was the company takeover or whatever the hell happened with Asmodee) so things are slipping.

I wonder if FFG will release 120x80mm sleeves. Need to protect my dixit.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

No deckbuilder, but now I'm using agotgame.com.

At GenCon the rumor was that Tyranids come out in 2 weeks. Conquest is in a bit of a lull here as well - I'm hoping people get energized by the deluxe. I managed to get some extra copies, so my plan is to have a tournament where you can win a copy of the Tyranids in order to get people revitalized.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Toronto meta still going strong with Conquest, pretty much everyone is pumped for nids, which are a pretty amazing box and a really solid entry point for tournament level play with having to buy the core

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Been exploring my AGoT core and it looks like a Lannister/Targaryen splash may be effective? Maybe? Lannister dominates at Intrigue/Economy while Targaryen is Military/Power while sappung STR from opponent's cards. I'll probably have to look more into it but it seems like they shore up each other's weaknesses.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

PJOmega posted:

I wonder if FFG will release 120x80mm sleeves. Need to protect my dixit.

Ribbed, for your gaming pleasure!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It bugs me that they won't print Tarot sleeves the size of the ones that Arcane Tinmen do since AT can't sell their poo poo in America :(

Crevic
Aug 4, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, did Dracarys' wording change? I remember that the one in the preview article had really weird wording, in that it said it was an "Action" but the target could only be a character participating in a challenge, so why not just call it a Challenge Action?

There may be ways in the future to initiate challenges in other phases. In first edition for example, there was a Stark character Lucas Blackwood that allowed you to initiate a military challenge after he is killed, regardless of the phase.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
AGOT 2nd Edition Deckbuilder is up on Cardgamedb! I'm still annoyed that I wasn't able to get one at Gen Con, but it should be released before the end of the month, so I won't have to wait much longer.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
So for anyone burnt out on the traditional LCG release schedule/bloat and increasingly complex mechanics I highly recommend Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. Mechanically it's super easy to get into and in my opinion has a pretty tight design. The big caveat for those into other LCGs in the addition of dice. You have 10 dice that you roll at the beginning of the round and are used basically as different types of mana to either place cards or power effects. I played it 10 or so times at Gencon and enjoyed it every time. The aesthetics are appealing to me as well.

Drive Thru has a good review up for more info.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Kaddish posted:

So for anyone burnt out on the traditional LCG release schedule/bloat and increasingly complex mechanics I highly recommend Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. Mechanically it's super easy to get into and in my opinion has a pretty tight design. The big caveat for those into other LCGs in the addition of dice. You have 10 dice that you roll at the beginning of the round and are used basically as different types of mana to either place cards or power effects. I played it 10 or so times at Gencon and enjoyed it every time. The aesthetics are appealing to me as well.

Drive Thru has a good review up for more info.

There is place for only one Rutibex in this town, stranger.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm going to assume this means Rutibex likes bad games and this is a bad game? What didn't you like about it?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Lichtenstein posted:

I was so harsh on the game from my playtesting experience, but everyone at Gencon seemed to enjoy it. I haven't heard anything negative yet, but that might just be the 'new hotness' issue. I want to play again with the actual game to see if I still think that the game sucks.

Most likely my mind won't change, but it is really perplexing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

A lot of people really like Dead of Winter too, which I am similarly perplexed about, but people having lovely taste in things isn't really a new thing.

Playing with the AGOT deckbuilder and it's really hard to cut cards down and pick plots. I'm trying to make a Greyjoy/Baratheon deck and am trying to figure out which is better between Salty Navigator and Bastard in Hiding. Is the extra initiative going to be worth it compared to losing a Power icon? It's sorta a small point since they both more or less exist to die, but I'd like to know how to better assess the two.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Man, this thread is turning into bitter old boardgamer talk on the order of everything that isn't Twilight Struggle and Agricola is garbage. How do you not have fun playing Dead of Winter? You can go around capping zombies as a stunt dog with twin pistols.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

A lot of people really like Dead of Winter too, which I am similarly perplexed about, but people having lovely taste in things isn't really a new thing.

Playing with the AGOT deckbuilder and it's really hard to cut cards down and pick plots. I'm trying to make a Greyjoy/Baratheon deck and am trying to figure out which is better between Salty Navigator and Bastard in Hiding. Is the extra initiative going to be worth it compared to losing a Power icon? It's sorta a small point since they both more or less exist to die, but I'd like to know how to better assess the two.

Extra initiative is pretty awesome, but I'd probably just go with whatever your main faction is, so it's easier to trigger any effects that require that faction's cards. If that's not a concern, I would look at how many Power Icons you have in the deck. I would go with the extra initiative if I felt I could afford to lose some Power Icons. Traits are something else to consider. The Navigator is an Ironborn, which has some use. The Bastard is, well, a Bastard, which was something of a liability in the old game, though I can't think of anything that plays off of it specifically.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rusty Kettle posted:

I was so harsh on the game from my playtesting experience, but everyone at Gencon seemed to enjoy it. I haven't heard anything negative yet, but that might just be the 'new hotness' issue. I want to play again with the actual game to see if I still think that the game sucks.

I think I'll become curious if I see some glowing reviews from people who also see Summoner Wars as kind of boring and Dead of Winter as at least mechanically flawed. There is a lot of positive buzz but there seems to be a reality distortion field of positive hype around plaid hat games sometimes where it feels like people who are otherwise critical thinking about games give these a pass on a real thorough critical appraisal

I do want to keep an open mind but I feel like I haven't been able to trust the popular feedback on these games

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaddish posted:

I'm going to assume this means Rutibex likes bad games and this is a bad game? What didn't you like about it?

I like great games, its the system that's bad! :colbert:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Man, this thread is turning into bitter old boardgamer talk on the order of everything that isn't Twilight Struggle and Agricola is garbage. How do you not have fun playing Dead of Winter? You can go around capping zombies as a stunt dog with twin pistols.

It's not "this is absolutely no fun and I would rather have a root canal," more like "this game tried to do what other games do better, why are we buying/playing this one?"

fozzy fosbourne posted:

there seems to be a reality distortion field of positive hype around plaid hat games sometimes where it feels like people who are otherwise critical thinking about games give these a pass on a real thorough critical appraisal

The Ready Player One effect.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
What games do what Dead of Winter does better. I have zombie fatigue too, but seriously, what other games are giving that experience because I should own them as Dead of Winter is a hit whenever I bring it out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Karnegal posted:

What games do what Dead of Winter does better. I have zombie fatigue too, but seriously, what other games are giving that experience because I should own them as Dead of Winter is a hit whenever I bring it out.

Take it to the standard board game thread since this is going to lead to a huge derail, moreso than suggesting a non-LCG in the LCG thread.

Criticize my Greyjoy/Baratheon deck, like, the two people who have played the game already. I'm not terribly married to the Baratheon, since it really needs Melisandre to go off, but I already have Lannister and Tyrell earmarked for a Melee deck, so I needed another source of Intrigue. Was tempted to use Stark for Ned and Arya though. I almost feel as if Renown characters need to be 3x, but it's hard to fit 60 cards.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Baratheon strikes me as a fundamentally bad pairing for Greyjoy. Greyjoy REALLY want to be going first and Baratheon like to have kneeled opponents, which usually means going second. The big pickup is King's hunting party, but honestly a heavy military unit isn't that necessary when you're the only faction with significant stealth cards. I would play Lannister to boost your econ or Tyrell to buff your guys. I think a Greyjoy deck wins by getting in and winning military challenges early to let them take over the mid-game.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I picked up 3x GoT 2.0 cores at GenCon, and I'm starting to explore the cards a bit having never played the original, and figure out how everything works. I'm still a bit stumped on deckbuilding.

Say I'm running "Banner of the Wolf" as my Agenda- I have to include at least 12 Stark cards, and if I'm understanding correctly, those can be loyal or non-loyal Stark cards. The rest of the deck can be any one other faction, but only non-loyal cards of that faction, is that correct? For example, I couldn't run "Take the Black" since it's a loyal NW Event, and thus would need to be running a pure NW deck, or a deck with the "Banner of the Watch" as its Agenda.

Do I have the right of this, or am I missing something? The wording on the Banner Agendas feels really poorly chosen, as I initially read "You may include non-loyal [faction] cards in your deck." to mean that the only way to include, say, "Longclaw" would be in a "Banner of the Watch" deck since it is a non-loyal NW card, and otherwise all your faction cards had to be Loyal. None of the cards seem to clearly indicate the 2nd faction rule clearly to me.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Your got it all wrong. :)

You pick a faction card, which lets you run any card from that faction in your deck, loyal or not, and any neutral cards.

You can pick one agenda: this makes you take 12 cards of one faction that are NOT loyal.

The cards are double sided for a reason, since it doesn't make any sense to run a Nights Watch agenda in a Nights Watch deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Carteret posted:

You can pick one agenda: this makes you take 12 cards of one faction that are NOT loyal.

Oooookay, thanks for helping out. I think I was treating the banner Agendas as a replacement for the House card instead of two co-existent cards, and that was making the verbiage on them seem really counter intuitive. So I would have both my House card (Stark, allowing for any number of loyal or non-loyal Stark cards), and the "Banner of the Watch" Agenda next to it to indicate that I can have non-loyal NW cards, to a minimum of 12 NW cards in the deck. Am I getting it now? :v: