Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Are you saying there are dead spots without B12 that get filled in when you have it? Coverage around Sac has been pretty good in my experience. Where in particular around Sac are you thinking?

One example I hit most of the time is driving down 50 there is a spot where I get literally zero coverage around Watt/Power Inn. Both my wife's Nexus 5 and my Moto X. And then just the expected indoor spottiness, especially when I'm inside buildings downtown

You're right, T-Mobile coverage for the most part is good in the Sacramento area but I'd rather not buy a new phone that doesn't have it. Unfortunately the pickings for midrange phones with band 12 are slim to non-existant

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Stumpalitious posted:

How's the LG G4? I can get a pretty good deal on one at T Mobile (which I'm already on) and I like the idea of having a good smartphone camera for once.

I like mine. It does have touch sensitivity issues though from time to time.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I wouldn't go based on those Nexus 5 leaked specs, I mean even in the comments section of that page a guy posted this:

"MSM8976 is not Qualcomm Snapdragon 620

LPDDR3-1866 is not supported by Snapdragon 620

Bluetooth 4.2 is not supported by Snapdragon 620

OV4682 RGB-IR is almost used in large devices, tablets, notebooks etc.

MediaTek MT3188 (wireless charging receiver) and QuickCharge 2.0 from Qualcomm? Are you kidding me?

Marvell Avastar 88W8897 is not for smartphones"

So none of the leaked specs are even possible, according to Přemysl Vaculík!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Full Note 5 leak:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/04/samsung-galaxy-note-5-pictures/

No SD card slot, no removable battery, smaller battery than Note 4. Looks boring. Internet is Real Mad.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

FistEnergy posted:

Internet is Real Mad.

Nothing changes on the internet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/03/someone-managed-to-hack-oneplus-2s-waiting-list-and-explains-how-he-did-it/

Ahahaha! Someone figured out how to "hack" his way up the OnePlus waiting list

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FistEnergy posted:

Full Note 5 leak:

No SD card slot, no removable battery, smaller battery than Note 4. Looks boring. Internet is Real Mad.

Lack of SD bugs me, but only because US Cellular insists on stocking only the lowest-capacity version of every phone. It's so loving stupid.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm having a slight issue with my Note 4. For some reason when I make a call, the person I'm talking to can't hear me unless I put it on speaker phone. I can hear myself in the earpiece, but they can't hear me. I've cleaned out the mic ports on it, but that didn't help. Strange thing is that voice commands still work and if I use the voice recorder I can hear my voice just fine.

Checking google shows that this has happened to others and the only way to fix it is to do a reset but I'd rather not go that far just yet. Any ideas?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

FistEnergy posted:

Full Note 5 leak:

This is what I've held onto my Note 2 for?

A big S6 with a stylus?

I wonder what features they will remove for the Note 6, the drat screen?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the good news is the note 4 will be stupid cheap when the 5 comes out so there's that win I guess.

I was really anxious that I bought a note edge then saw the rumours of a new phone coming out.. then I saw what was coming out and wasn't too sad. I like the removable battery, and SD cards are slow.. but I like to have my pictures / music on an external device.. maybe I"m old.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Krime posted:

A big S6 with a stylus?

I'm in the same boat and now I feel stupid I didn't just grab the Note 4 last year. Oh well, the Moto X or the new Nexus 6 look promising.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

The new Nexus 5 looks pretty nice, and I've been a huge fan of the google ecosystem. I'm digging the continuity between my iphone and my MBP though, at least in terms of message handoff. Would this be something I would be missing sorely if I switched to android? Would it disrupt message threads with my iphone buddies?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

LastInLine posted:

You do understand that the drawback to x86 vs ARM when it comes to a mobile device isn't the power but rather that x86 is so much less efficient? In other words it's the SoC (not only its architecture but its lovely modem) that is causing the poor battery life.

Yes, I know the two are certainly related, much like engine performance and miles per gallon, but just like that car analogy there's a lot more that goes in to battery life than processor itself. Things like the RAM (4GB takes more power than 2GB), screen, modem, etc. affect battery drain. So in short, the ZF2 will run circles around any sub-$400 current generation phone in the speed department, but it does not have great battery life, IMO. For what its worth I heard people praising the original Moto G's battery life and I would frequently run out of battery and I push the ZF2 harder than I ever did the Moto G.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

b0nes posted:

I like mine. It does have touch sensitivity issues though from time to time.

A couple things you can try: Replace the LG Keyboard with a 3rd party one (you should do this anyway, the stock keyboard sucks), and enable GPU rendering in the Developer Options (Instructions Here, then go to Settings > Developer Options > Force GPU Rendering). It might be a placebo, but I haven't noticed any touchscreen issues after doing this.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Krime posted:

A big S6 with a stylus?

As other goon said, the good thing is that the Note 4 will be cheaper and is a fantastic phone if you don't mind Touchwiz (wich I take you don't).

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Daily Forecast posted:

So I'm now home from work. About ten hours later, with 2h 4m of screen on time with heavy-moderate use during lunch and after work (videos, taking pictures to test the camera, etc), I'm sitting at 62%. Pretty drat nice.

Tell us how long it takes to charge, that was a point they made in the PocketNow review.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Guillermus posted:

As other goon said, the good thing is that the Note 4 will be cheaper and is a fantastic phone if you don't mind Touchwiz (wich I take you don't).

Certainly an option at this point.

I hope consumers hand Samsung's rear end to them this round.

They had a mis-step with the s6 and it looks like it's shaping up that way with the Note 5 as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm getting a Moto X Pure (Or Style, whichever it is) because gently caress having a mediocre camera and fuuuck getting samsung'd.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Krime posted:

Certainly an option at this point.

I hope consumers hand Samsung's rear end to them this round.

They had a mis-step with the s6 and it looks like it's shaping up that way with the Note 5 as well.

I thought people liked the S6 :confused:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I thought I read that it undersold big-time, which is why they are currently cutting its price.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It was an improvement over the S5, but most of the other flagships with the exception of HTC improved as well. And more importantly companies like Motorola, Asus, Huawei, and Xiaomi are getting much better at making compelling midrange products which make the notion of spending $700 on a phone even more unappealing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah, the mid range gets better and better as FistEnergy said. Spending 600 or more €/$/£ on a phone when most of the users won't notice the difference performance wise seems less appealing. I personally don't see myself spending again 500€ on a phone when you can do most gaming perfectly on a mid ranger wich will come with HD or FHD screens, 2gb or more and enough space already. You may miss fingerprint scanners and that stuff but hey, for the price of a flagship you can buy a new mid ranger that will have all these features next year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's the biggest thing, there's a market correction going on. Device pricing has become more transparent to the consumer and the consumer is realizing that they need less and less to do what they want.

So, the average consumer goes into a store now and sees a 32gb Galaxy S6 on AT&T is going to cost them $815 outright or $27 /month for 30 months (also $815) and they are suddenly asking themselves "Is this $600 better than this Moto G right next to it?" Invariably, the answer is coming up "no."

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Exactly.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

4GB takes more power than 2GB
This is really not a thing, in real world terms.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Krime posted:

I thought I read that it undersold big-time, which is why they are currently cutting its price.

Wasn't it the case that while yes the S6 undersold, demand for the edge was higher than expected and the reason why overall sales were lower was because they miscalculated the demand for the edge, resulting in a shortage of the edge and too much inventory of the s6?

Or would numbers still have been lower than expected even if they didn't gently caress up inventory?

(Phone posting sucks btw)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/04/editorial-snapdragon-sorrows-has-qualcomm-begun-a-long-slow-fall-from-the-top/

A pretty interesting read on Qualcomm and how it may be slowly declining in quality.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

That's the biggest thing, there's a market correction going on. Device pricing has become more transparent to the consumer and the consumer is realizing that they need less and less to do what they want.

So, the average consumer goes into a store now and sees a 32gb Galaxy S6 on AT&T is going to cost them $815 outright or $27 /month for 30 months (also $815) and they are suddenly asking themselves "Is this $600 better than this Moto G right next to it?" Invariably, the answer is coming up "no."
Which is exactly what enthusiasts have been screaming for for literally years.
So: yay us.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those of us who are still clinging to to the Nexus 4, is there any reason NOT to upgrade to 5.1.1. these days? I'm still rocking 4.4.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Samsung just instituted a major price drop on the S6. That doesn't happen with products that people want to buy, at least this early in to the sales cycle.

grack fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 5, 2015

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
So I went to the T-Mobile store today and got the LG G4, and I'm loving it. Originally I thought I'd use it naked, but after using it for a bit I'd really rather put a case on it. What would be a good, slim yet protective case to get for the LG G4?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Donald Kimball posted:

The new Nexus 5 looks pretty nice, and I've been a huge fan of the google ecosystem. I'm digging the continuity between my iphone and my MBP though, at least in terms of message handoff. Would this be something I would be missing sorely if I switched to android? Would it disrupt message threads with my iphone buddies?

I'm an android user with OS X. There isn't much you lose assuming you don't mind Pushbullet as a medium to manage SMS. Android in my experience works much better with OS X than Windows just in general so you lose nothing there. Assuming you don't mind taking the time to sync your iTunes with Google Music and you eschew USB altogether (using Pushbullet and cloud services as a medium) you really lose nothing over sticking with iOS.

I love OS X and would never leave for the shitshow that is Windows but missing out on iOS integration is not something I'd say even rates on my list of wishes. That said, I use Google services like GMail liberally so if you want sync back to Google or you prefer Safari over Chrome you might find more pain points.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Stumpalitious posted:

So I went to the T-Mobile store today and got the LG G4, and I'm loving it. Originally I thought I'd use it naked, but after using it for a bit I'd really rather put a case on it. What would be a good, slim yet protective case to get for the LG G4?

A Diztronic case should suffice.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Stumpalitious posted:

Put some pants on as well.

:downsrim:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 20, 2018

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kafka Esq. posted:

Tell us how long it takes to charge, that was a point they made in the PocketNow review.

When I first got it it took about an hour and a half to charge to full from about 55%, I haven't run the battery down to single digits yet to really check. Maybe I should do that! It does not have fast charging, I can tell, but oh well. The phone will definitely last from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night, so I feel like that's not a huge issue.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

For those of us who are still clinging to to the Nexus 4, is there any reason NOT to upgrade to 5.1.1. these days? I'm still rocking 4.4.

I've had no problems with 5.1.1 on Nexus 4.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Jacobus Spades posted:

A couple things you can try: Replace the LG Keyboard with a 3rd party one (you should do this anyway, the stock keyboard sucks), and enable GPU rendering in the Developer Options (Instructions Here, then go to Settings > Developer Options > Force GPU Rendering). It might be a placebo, but I haven't noticed any touchscreen issues after doing this.

The force GPU rendering eliminated 99% of my touchsceen issues. Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Nexus 5 and Nexus 6 are getting Stagefright patches pushed today in LMY48I.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/05/nexus-6-and-nexus-5-receiving-stagefright-patch-today-as-build-lmy48i/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I think that article might be a bit premature. Lets wait and see what Qualcomm's next gen 64 bit chip looks like. If that's bad, I'll start to believe it. The 810 was always going to be bad, because Apple surprised chipmakers with a 64 bit chip. Then, because marketing, everyone needed to have one, so Qualcomm slapped one together with basically off the shelf parts. The reason the 800/801/805 (and some previous qualcomm chips) were so good was because they were designed in house by Qualcomm. Once they have a chance to do that again (i.e. next generation), my guess is they will start to get some market share back.

The core problems of Samsung wanting to use Exynos and Mediatek encroaching from the low end will continue to be issues, but they were issues in the 800 generation too, the 800 was just better. Intel will eventually have a mobile part that makes sense, but we've been saying that for what feels like 5 years now.