Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else care to throw down the gauntlet and declare this the best game ever made? Because that's what I'm doing right now.

It's pretty much my favorite RPG ever. I don't like to compare between genres, but it's a contender for best game ever made, I think.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm at the point in the story where I have completed the main questline in Skellige, and I have to go back to velen to talk to the Baron. How far am I into the main story?

60% or so? Depends on how you pace things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Genre lines are a little blurry, but its definitely the best RPG if souls games don't count as RPGs. I don't think I'll ever play a bethesda snoozefest again - obsidian games are sometimes good but not as good as this.

It probably suffices for me to say this game has the best writing/storytelling of any game I've ever played, and that's especially true at the microscale during individual, seemingly-inconsequential quests.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else care to throw down the gauntlet and declare this the best game ever made? Because that's what I'm doing right now.

I'll definitely call it the best "open world RPG" I've played and among the top few overall, it's hard to compare across genres. Certainly sets a very high bar for upcoming RPGs.

Serf
May 5, 2011

This is definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Still gonna guy Bethesda/Obsidian etc. games because Cyberpunk 2077 isn't coming out until like 2017 right?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'll still buy Obsidian games, they're different enough to scratch an itch TW3 doesn't entirely manage even if I think it's better overall.

TW3 has killed Bethesda games for me though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Serf posted:

This is definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Still gonna guy Bethesda/Obsidian etc. games because Cyberpunk 2077 isn't coming out until like 2017 right?

I really hope it comes out that soon. :( I can't wait to see Cyber-Ciri!

Serf
May 5, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I really hope it comes out that soon. :( I can't wait to see Cyber-Ciri!

I hope that they take the source material and turn it into something good. I love the original RPGs but they were a really goofy at times. And the third edition was... not good. But CDPR has the chops to make a good game out of them, this game has convinced me of that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Everything else that owns in the storytelling department aside - it's just refreshing to have NPCs that are actual characters with psychological profiles with stories built specifically FOR them and they're not just walking mouthpieces carrying information for the player like in every Bethesda game.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Palpek posted:

Everything else that owns in the storytelling department aside - it's just refreshing to have NPCs that are actual characters with psychological profiles with stories built specifically FOR them and they're not just walking mouthpieces carrying information for the player like in every Bethesda game.

Yeah, the writing, storytelling and just the bonkers way missions unfold and then affect things later are what make this game really special. Never seen anything even close to it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

They also have their own motives and poo poo and aren't just there for the player self insert to oppose or gain support from as part of a power fantasy, like in every Bioware game.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

chaosapiant posted:

I did that after playing like 10 hours and then doubled down on it a week later after I beat the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's really telling of the game's quality that being so full of bugs and glitches hasn't stopped it from being many people's #1 RPG of recent history. There's so many things that would turn other games from mediocre to bad, but Wild Hunt is just so good that event with the warts and all it's great.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Yeah this is by far the best RPG I've ever played.

Also Geralt is actually kinda cute in a silver fox way

But he actually emotes! Like, his face shows actual emotions! That's insane

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

They also have their own motives and poo poo and aren't just there for the player self insert to oppose or gain support from as part of a power fantasy, like in every Bioware game.

And when you meet someone that Geralt has known for years then it actually feels that way. So refreshing to play a character with some real history to it instead of another player created nobody with no meaningful past or established relationships to speak of.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

The Sharmat posted:

I felt this keenly when I realized that every instance of Yennifer or Avallac'h not telling Geralt what was up made sense. Satisfying Geralt's curiosity wouldn't have changed anything and they had better things to do.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah this is by far the best RPG I've ever played.

Also Geralt is actually kinda cute in a silver fox way

But he actually emotes! Like, his face shows actual emotions! That's insane

I'll never understand people who say Geralt is an emotionless dudebro in this game. I guess people are used to the writing shouting what emotion the character is supposed to be feeling at the player, rather than just showing it through acting and body language.

Senjuro posted:

And when you meet someone that Geralt has known for years then it actually feels that way. So refreshing to play a character with some real history to it instead of another player created nobody with no meaningful past or established relationships to speak of.

Yeah. I'm not looking forward to going back to player created character games after this, if they're at all story driven.

Superstring posted:

I felt this keenly when I realized that every instance of Yennifer or Avallac'h not telling Geralt what was up made sense. Satisfying Geralt's curiosity wouldn't have changed anything and they had better things to do.

In Avallac'h's case, it would have actually hurt his goals pretty badly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

Professional killers give Geralt poo poo all the time in the books, too.

Speaking of the books... I finally reached the part where Geralt fights the Zeugl waist-deep in sewage. :3:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Fighting the zeugl in waist deep sewage is the least unpleasant part of that short story, for Geralt.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing is the general concept of the premise. Geralt is a man's man, problem solver, engineer, skilled tradesman. He doesn't work for free, he is a professional and knows his craft. It's really funny how all of the things he knows about monsters are obviously facts, and any superstitions he doesn't know about are obviously made up bullshit. But he's not always 100% right about this. While he's kind of a male fantasy insert, these things aren't portrayed as simply a good thing. Like, the books and the games don't say "Geralt is awesome because he bangs lots of chicks and doesn't put of with any hocus pocus bullshit" it just puts him in this world with other people. Sorceresses embody a female stereotype as well, emotionally manipulative, scheming, self-centered. But they are this way because they are sorceresses, not because they are women. Non-sorceress women aren't bound by stereotypes. It's a really clever way to address gender roles and stereotypes without necessarily endorsing them or being sexist.

Ciri is an absolutely fantastic character. She might seem underdeveloped, because, compared to a lot of other characters, she has less dialogue and a "shallower" story. But what's great about her is she acts like an adult, planning for her goals and making choices based on her abilities. It's insane how much you can see Geralt and Yen's influences on her, and how she isn't a carbon copy of either of them but rather has learned lifestyle habits from both of them. Watching the dysfunctional family of main characters interacting is some of the most human poo poo in any video game ever. The Last of Us played around with this sort of thing, but it was much, much simpler. The Last of Us was a well executed story about two characters and the very specific nature of their relationship. Wild Hunt isn't just about that, it's about it's about the influences that have made each person they way they are. Geralt's relationship with Ciri doesn't exist in a vacuum, it's also in the context of Geralt's relationship with Vesemir. Yennifer, who often acts based solely on her own goals, but want to support Ciri, seems a bit stuck because prioritizing someone's else's goals because you love them does not come naturally to her.

It's just loving great.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's weird how I think almost everything you said about Geralt and Yennefer is wrong but I still like the game for the same reasons.

Maybe it means they're complicated and well realized or something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

It's weird how I think almost everything you said about Geralt and Yennefer is wrong but I still like the game for the same reasons.

Maybe it means they're complicated and well realized or something.

I'm curious why you think I'm wrong about Geralt. Yennifer I understand being wrong about because I don't know very much about the character.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

My hope is that Bethesda realizes that what they've produced in the elder scrolls universe isn't going to cut it anymore, that the bar has been set way higher. It's be nice to see a game company go "challenge accepted" and try to match. But who the gently caress am I kidding right?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

My hope is that Bethesda realizes that what they've produced in the elder scrolls universe isn't going to cut it anymore, that the bar has been set way higher. It's be nice to see a game company go "challenge accepted" and try to match. But who the gently caress am I kidding right?

Better RPGs than the Elder Scrolls have always existed and yet each new installment seems to be more popular than the last. I don't see Bethesda changing much anytime soon.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I'm curious why you think I'm wrong about Geralt. Yennifer I understand being wrong about because I don't know very much about the character.

Geralt's only a womanizer if you play him that way. I think it's lingering mistaken sentiment from TW1. He's actually kind of a brooder and pseudo-intellectual. I wouldn't describe him as a "man's man" or a male fantasy insert.

Also in general their family dynamic with Ciri is quite functional, not dysfunctional. The dysfunction is the environment, not Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri's relation to each other. They're quite good parents to her, really. Though to an extent that depends on the choices you have Geralt make.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 4, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ice Fist posted:

Witcher 3 makes me want them to make a western game.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Witcher 3 makes me want them to make a western game.

eh, Rockstar just needs to make a new RDR with the GTAV engine and that'll be plenty good for me.

CDPR needs to get cracking on Witcher 4

RIGHT

NOW

and whatever that cyberpunk game is gonna be. that'll prob be cool too

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

poopzilla posted:

eh, Rockstar just needs to make a new RDR with the GTAV engine and that'll be plenty good for me.

CDPR needs to get cracking on Witcher 4

RIGHT

NOW

and whatever that cyberpunk game is gonna be. that'll prob be cool too

At this point im figuring rockstar is never doing another red dead so my dreams have shifted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Serf posted:

It will be coming out in 2077, duh!

Ice Fist posted:

Pretty sure Skyrim sold more copies in its first two months than Witcher 3 has and has sold more copies than Witcher 3 ever will so I doubt Bethesda will care at all.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Bort Bortles posted:

Pretty sure Skyrim sold more copies in its first two months than Witcher 3 has and has sold more copies than Witcher 3 ever will so I doubt Bethesda will care at all.
Hell, according to SteamSpy more than 4x as many people have played Skyrim in the last 2 weeks than Witcher 3. As long as they keep mod support Bethesda has nothing to worry about.

http://steamspy.com/app/292030
http://steamspy.com/app/72850

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Just release a Witcher 3 remake with John Marston replacing Geralt, that'll solve your western wishes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

hopterque posted:

I did that after playing like 10 hours and then doubled down on it a week later after I beat the game.

I didn't play W1, and I made it maybe a third of the way through W2 because I didn't enjoy the combat. Does that mean W3 would be a bad choice for me?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Senjuro posted:

Better RPGs than the Elder Scrolls have always existed and yet each new installment seems to be more popular than the last. I don't see Bethesda changing much anytime soon.

I'm honestly curious: What AAA RPG titles would you list as better than the TES titles? I guess I don't play a ton of RPGs outside of the Witcher series. I played the poo poo out of modded oblivion, but never finished Skyrim.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Geralt's only a womanizer if you play him that way. I think it's lingering mistaken sentiment from TW1. He's actually kind of a brooder and pseudo-intellectual. I wouldn't describe him as a "man's man" or a male fantasy insert.

Also in general their family dynamic with Ciri is quite functional, not dysfunctional. The dysfunction is the environment, no Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri's relation to each other. They're quite good parents to her, really. Though to an extent that depends on the choices you have Geralt make.

Ah. Maybe my choice of words was poor. I did not intend "Man's man" to mean womanizing. But he's literally the strong, skilled, knowledgeable, takes care of his tools, blue-collar type guy. Doesn't like formal-wear. He's everything that a hard-working manual laborer wants to see in themselves. He's also old and experienced, but a child a heart and perma-silver-fox good-looking. And yeah, he is pensive and pseudo-intellectual.

Geralt and Ciri seem pretty functional, Yen and Ciri are probably functional, Geralt and Yen are pretty dysfunctional. Geralt and Vesemir and his brothers, dysfunctional, Yen and the lodge? dysfunctional. Ciri is the baby that hold the family together. And when I say "dysfunctional" I don't mean that they don't care and they don't try, I just mean that they all have a lot of baggage and a lot of conflicts due to their lifestyle. Even if you play W3 so that Geralt is loyal to Yen 100%, they are like a couple that lives in different houses in different states that are both freelance government contractors who don't compare business notes until their the realize midway through their jobs that their plans overlap.

edit:

Ice Fist posted:

I'm honestly curious: What AAA RPG titles would you list as better than the TES titles? I guess I don't play a ton of RPGs outside of the Witcher series. I played the poo poo out of modded oblivion, but never finished Skyrim.
Almost any of them. Morrowind was the last good one in my opinion. Mass Effect 2, Witcher 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (and the original, of course), Red Dead Redemption (not many RPG elements), Dishonored. Those are the only ones I can speak for, but I've heard good things about Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Fable games are garbage, the Fallout franchise is better than TES but obviously very similar.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 4, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't play W1, and I made it maybe a third of the way through W2 because I didn't enjoy the combat. Does that mean W3 would be a bad choice for me?

Have you played bloodborne? Witcher 3 is basically easier bloodborne, with additional mechanics like buffs to your sword and skills. Compared to W2 it is smoother, easier to pick up, and midway through the game gets relatively easy, especially if you take certain skills while leveling.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I struggled through W1, gave up on W2 about the same time you did, and I'm loving Witcher 3 so far. The combat is IMO still not great, but nowhere near the level of W2's fuckery. Once you get a few levels under your belt and learn how to fight drowners things get way better. I recommend this game based on the face that everything else is so drat good.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dick Trauma posted:

The combat is significantly better in this, like, way, way better. Get this game.

e: It is seriously, out of the last ten years, the game that will probably be most revered as a future classic. It's incredible and shouldn't be missed by anyone, in my opinion.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Ah. Maybe my choice of words was poor. I did not intend "Man's man" to mean womanizing. But he's literally the strong, skilled, knowledgeable, takes care of his tools, blue-collar type guy. Doesn't like formal-wear. He's everything that a hard-working manual laborer wants to see in themselves. He's also old and experienced, but a child a heart and perma-silver-fox good-looking. And yeah, he is pensive and pseudo-intellectual.

Geralt and Ciri seem pretty functional, Yen and Ciri are probably functional, Geralt and Yen are pretty dysfunctional. Geralt and Vesemir and his brothers, dysfunctional, Yen and the lodge? dysfunctional. Ciri is the baby that hold the family together. And when I say "dysfunctional" I don't mean that they don't care and they don't try, I just mean that they all have a lot of baggage and a lot of conflicts due to their lifestyle. Even if you play W3 so that Geralt is loyal to Yen 100%, they are like a couple that lives in different houses in different states that are both freelance government contractors who don't compare business notes until their the realize midway through their jobs that their plans overlap.

I don't really get that vibe from Geralt and Yen at all. They're more just a couple that has been together for ages and know when and when not to rib each other. Unless you play Geralt as not knowing how to do that. Then there's conflict, yeah.

Yen and the Lodge aren't supposed to be functional. They're not allies. They hate each other.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dick Trauma posted:

This was me and this game is insanely amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

I don't really get that vibe from Geralt and Yen at all. They're more just a couple that has been together for ages and know when and when not to rib each other. Unless you play Geralt as not knowing how to do that. Then there's conflict, yeah.
I mean, the whole time Geralt had amnesia, Yen never showed up and was like, "hey remember me?". And then when his amnesia cleared up, he pretty much tried to track her down right away, which involved chasing her across at least one entire country. And it's like she didn't know, she just never bother to contact him or meet him.

quote:

Yen and the Lodge aren't supposed to be functional. They're not allies. They hate each other.
Fare enough. I was kind of viewing other Wolf School Witchers as Geralt's extended familty and other sorceresses at Yen's extended family. The Witchers are certainly contextualize that way, but yeah I guess I oversimplified things on the sorceress side.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

chaosapiant posted:

It's funny you say this because the other night I was googling to see who else would agree with that assertion. It's certainly my favorite of all time.

I am just flabbergasted by the number of people out there that still think Ocarina was the best game ever and can never be beat. :psyduck:

The conversation is almost always BUT Z-TARGETING!!! (which it didn't do first, despite what everyone thinks)

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 4, 2015