Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Wendigee posted:

got my 129 asus zenwatch from google today... its charging an updating the OS but it looks awesome.

Love the size and band. Its perfect. Can't want to slap it on my wrist and play around... at 89% now... charges pretty fast. maybe 2 hours for a full charge?

2 hours sounds about right. Maybe faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Well I was going to go see a ZenWatch and either buy it from Google or the store if I liked it so I checked last night and god drat it it is back up to $199. :(

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 25, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My G Watch R is still available lol

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody have watchband suggestions, either specific brands or retailers? The standard band on the G Watch R (leather with a metal buckle) irritates my wrist (specifically near where the metal buckle is, guessing this is an allergy). Pretty much everything I see on Amazon seems to have a metal band.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Motorola had an event today where they were expected to announce some new phones and the 360 mk II. Guess which part of that didn't happen.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think any expectation of a 360 mk II announcement today was wishful thinking at best.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Motorola had an event today where they were expected to announce some new phones and the 360 mk II. Guess which part of that didn't happen.
A lot of us weren't expecting the watch today. Only garbage linkbait websites had reported that it was, and there basically haven't been enough leaks for it to be a release-ready product. It's definitely coming though.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Tunga posted:

A lot of us weren't expecting the watch today. Only garbage linkbait websites had reported that it was, and there basically haven't been enough leaks for it to be a release-ready product. It's definitely coming though.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Having read around a bit more no one serious was expecting it, my bad.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Instead I expect a 360 mk II vs. Huawei Watch prize fight later this year.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I wasn't not expecting it. It passed the Bluetooth certification in early May and the images were purposefully leaked from Lenovo around the same time. Given that it's almost August, a quarter of a year later, I think it's fair to wonder why there hasn't been any kind of announcement, leak, or anything at all. Further, they've been in fire-sale mode on the 360 for just about as long. It's not like a conference today means they had to start selling today but realistically if a product's on-track I don't think you'd see so long a period of silence because, as noted above, everyone knows about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

I think any expectation of a 360 mk II announcement today was wishful thinking at best.

Pretty much. There have been zero leaks except for those prototype bezels awhile back. This was always going to be a phone only event anyone who thought otherwise was projecting their on desires with zero evidence.

The 360 hasn't even been out for a year and by all accounts is selling decently well for Motorola. They can afford to take their time with it (no pun intended...actually, no gently caress it, pun INTENDED.)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Motorola screwed up by announcing the 360 way too early last time. Maybe they learned something.

Maybe, just maybe, they're making sure they have enough to sell when it is released too (lol no)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Motorola screwed up by announcing the 360 way too early last time. Maybe they learned something.

Maybe, just maybe, they're making sure they have enough to sell when it is released too (lol no)

I think it really comes down to if Motorola is making a decent profit on the 360 at $150 because they seem to be selling really well right now, the second gen is almost certainly going to be priced higher, probably back to the $300 range so if Motorola can pump out 360s cheaply right now they probably aren't in any rush to push out the second gen.

Plus there were the rumors that the true second gen of Wear is going to add speaker and NFC support (Seems likely with the Apple Watch) so they very well could be holding out for that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The next 360 seen at the FCC. It can't be long now.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I was barely, barely considering picking up a 360 now that they are being cleared out so I tried one on today:

Nope, I'm sorry, it does not pass for a normal watch, even if it round. Maybe techno jewelry but the thing looks way bigger and less watch like on my wrist than my G Watch with a leather band.

So I got my G Watch R from Reverse Centaur and as I remember from the store forever ago the squared off lugs make it not look as ridiculous as the 360 on apparently freakishly tiny wrists.

I had it on an analog watch face last night at the bar and someone asked me how my watch glows so brightly.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I love the painted on numbers. Classy. Makes sense when you use a digital watch face too.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I love the painted on numbers. Classy. Makes sense when you use a digital watch face too.

Because displaying center justified text and interface elements on a circular display makes so much sense? I still stand by my earlier point, round displays on smart watches makes absolutely no sense and is clearly a hindrance to user interaction but given the current state of every Android Wear device having major flaws this seemed like the best compromise for me. Also I chose that particular digital watch face specifically because it has second indicator that revolves around the watch making the etched on numbers at least make a tiny bit of logical sense even though they are completely pointless.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Because displaying center justified text and interface elements on a circular display makes so much sense? I still stand by my earlier point, round displays on smart watches makes absolutely no sense and is clearly a hindrance to user interaction but given the current state of every Android Wear device having major flaws this seemed like the best compromise for me. Also I chose that particular digital watch face specifically because it has second indicator that revolves around the watch making the etched on numbers at least make a tiny bit of logical sense even though they are completely pointless.

You looked like a hypocrite, pointed out the watch flaws and agreed with me in one post. Some kind of hatrick.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I guess it's officially an Android thread on Something Awful now that people are being challenged to defend their purchase.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I own several watches that are bigger than my new Moto 360, even the smaller diameter ones are significantly thicker than the Moto.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Time for my bi-monthly "the 360 looked almost too small on me" post

Much more comfortable with the Urbane, though the slight tint difference between my band and watch is driving me crazy (not really visible in this pic)

I had someone notice it was a smart watch for the first time the other day; all it took was sitting next to me on a plane for 1,000 miles

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Time for my bi-monthly "the 360 looked almost too small on me" post

How on earth did the metal band on your G R almost fit me?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

How on earth did the metal band on your G R almost fit me?

You sure it wasn't looping around your wrist twice?

Also pro tip, add an L ahead of the .jpg on imgur images to make them not stupid big/or stupid small size.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
I got home stupid late last night from a trip, and didn't bother to set up my Moto 360 dock, so I set it down on the QI charger I grabbed from Ikea. It slipped a little during the night, just enough to miss the charging spot. Good thing I have another of those chargers at work.

Has anyone released a travel charger for the Moto 360? The dock is bulky, it would be nice to have something more compact on the go.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kakairo posted:

Has anyone released a travel charger for the Moto 360? The dock is bulky, it would be nice to have something more compact on the go.

I use one of these when traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

It's a 4000mAh battery with built in Qi. With the size of the internal battery in the 360, that's enough to charge it 8 or so times over before you have to charge the battery pack. So, it lasts through most week long trips and even if you do have to recharge it, it's no big deal.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

bull3964 posted:

I use one of these when traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

It's a 4000mAh battery with built in Qi. With the size of the internal battery in the 360, that's enough to charge it 8 or so times over before you have to charge the battery pack. So, it lasts through most week long trips and even if you do have to recharge it, it's no big deal.

Interesting, never seen one like that before. I'll check it out, thanks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's really nice about it is you can easily use it on the go as well. All you need is a rubber band, and you can affix the watch to the charger and toss it in your bag.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Keep in mind that qi charging incurres a significant amount of wasted power so you're not going to get the rated capacity out of that thing via wireless charging

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

Keep in mind that qi charging incurres a significant amount of wasted power so you're not going to get the rated capacity out of that thing via wireless charging

That was taken into account with my estimates. 4000mah battery with 75% efficiency and the Moto 360's 320mah internal battery should yield you over 9 charges of the watch. Rounded down to 8 to be safe.

Considering you can also get about 36 hours per full charge on the 360 means that battery pack easily lasts you a full week while traveling without having to charge it up.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

4000mah battery with 75% efficiency and the Moto 360's 320mah internal battery should yield you over 9 charges of the watch.
75% is a decent yield on a regular battery pack, I'd be amazed if a wireless one can approach anything like that.

(But yes, the 360 battery is tiny and it will still charge is a decent number of times.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

75% is a decent yield on a regular battery pack, I'd be amazed if a wireless one can approach anything like that.

(But yes, the 360 battery is tiny and it will still charge is a decent number of times.)

75% is what they claim for wireless charging. Whether or not they are lying, I have no idea.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

bull3964 posted:

36 hours per full charge on the 360

:cawg: :cawg: :cawg:

Riiiiiiiiight. I'm lucky to get half that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Zen Watches are now $130 at Best Buy.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 5, 2015

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Three Olives posted:

Zen Watches are now $130 at Best Buy.

For those that have one, is it worth it? Or should we hold off to see what the Moto 362 will be?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hughmoris posted:

For those that have one, is it worth it? Or should we hold off to see what the Moto 362 will be?

Do you have any preference round/square?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Hughmoris posted:

I like mine pretty well. I think it looks better than most of the others.

But it does have the following limitations:

No WiFi

The heart monitor works by you putting your fingers on the metal sides of the face of the watch

The heart monitor might as well be picking numbers at random, it is so inaccurate.

If none of those bother you, then its a great watch.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Well that deal was/is over at least when I looked around noon yesterday so if you haven't pulled the trigger already you might be Sol.

I was rocking the note edge plus a gear neo 2 which I really liked. I switched over to Google's project fi at the end of last month and the neo doesn't work with the nexus 6.

I considered picking up the pebble time, but instead opted for the regular pebble (I had one before which I was a kickstarter backer for but gave away because the screen would Fritz out occasionally). It's much improved since my first pebble.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
It's still showing $130 for me.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I like mine pretty well. I think it looks better than most of the others.

But it does have the following limitations:

No WiFi

The heart monitor works by you putting your fingers on the metal sides of the face of the watch

The heart monitor might as well be picking numbers at random, it is so inaccurate.

If none of those bother you, then its a great watch.

On the other end the heart rate monitor on all of the Wear devices is basically useless even on the ones that work better and it has an OLED display that it can easily run all day in ambient mode.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 5, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bull3964 posted:

What's really nice about it is you can easily use it on the go as well. All you need is a rubber band, and you can affix the watch to the charger and toss it in your bag.

Or you can strap the charger to your arm, then strap the watch to the charger and never run out of power!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Yeah I'm also on 36ish hours with the moto360 which I daily. It's usefulness has pretty much doubled since I just started cycling to work meaning I don't need to mount my phone to my handlebars.

Good times.