Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

red plastic cup posted:

i like webcomic. i like gunerkrigg.

i do to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

red plastic cup posted:

i like webcomic. i like gunerkrigg.
gunerkrig ams good

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Let's talk about our favourite characters. I like Smitty a lot and his power is one of the most interesting I've seen in any media, I'm not sure he is my favourite though. Please post your favourite characters too so I can correct you for not choosing Smitty.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I really like both Smitty and Parley, they play off one another well.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Smitty's cool but his power is just kind of too OP for him to play a major role in any kind of storytelling. I feel if he ever had a bigger role it would end up boring.

Now let me tell you about a certain Anthony Carver.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
My favorite character is: Anthony Carver. He is a flawed, tragic figure who's inability to easily make intimate connections with other people- including his own daughter, has lead to an intriguing and engrossing story arc that has allowed me to reconsider what it means to truly love another person. Are Anthony's actions merely an extension of his personal flaws and failings as a father and a likeable human being, or is he simply trying the best he can to do right to Surma, and by extension, Antimony?

Whatever the truth may be, these past few weeks in which Anthony has been a member of the cast of Gunnerkrigg Court have been some of the most interesting and enjoyable in my long and treasured history with the webcomic medium. I am eager to see where things proceed from here, and what truths may be revealed in tomorrow's page.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

red plastic cup posted:

My favorite character is: Anthony Carver. He is a flawed, tragic figure who's inability to easily make intimate connections with other people- including his own daughter, has lead to an intriguing and engrossing story arc that has allowed me to reconsider what it means to truly love another person. Are Anthony's actions merely an extension of his personal flaws and failings as a father and a likeable human being, or is he simply trying the best he can to do right to Surma, and by extension, Antimony?

Whatever the truth may be, these past few weeks in which Anthony has been a member of the cast of Gunnerkrigg Court have been some of the most interesting and enjoyable in my long and treasured history with the webcomic medium. I am eager to see where things proceed from here, and what truths may be revealed in tomorrow's page.

this but unironically

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ElMaligno posted:

this but unironically

Same

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
i am never ironic on line

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
So the Tony/Surma situation looks like it's more-or-less what most people expected, and we know where the Donlans and Sir Eglamore are, so....what's Brinnie been doing since school? She's the only wild card left from that group, had ties to Anthony, and James got his valknut emergency beacon/teleport stick thingy from somewhere, right?

So where's Brunhilde and where'd she go?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 1, 2016

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Well, yeah but we've just had that speech about how friends don't cut friends out of their lives and little miss valkyrie there is notably conspicuous by her absence.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Itzena posted:

Well, yeah but we've just had that speech about how friends don't cut friends out of their lives and little miss valkyrie there is notably conspicuous by her absence.

She might have gone back to Valhalla.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Presumably she is sleeping for eternity within a ring of flames?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

ElMaligno posted:

Look kid I work in Maritime search and rescue. Sometimes when we go rescue people and their death is sometimes a forgone conclusion. So there has been a couple of occasions where I have to talk to my supervisor (or friend) about MY emotions, or how I feel about it, or about the nightmares I have, or the fact that MY drinking will not bring back to life that Massachusetts fisherman so he can be with his family for Christmas 2013.

I just posted this into Google to see if it was copied from somewhere and it returned some REALLY weird results.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just posted this into Google to see if it was copied from somewhere and it returned some REALLY weird results.

No im actually that stupid and moronic irl.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is Tony really Antimony's dad!?!?!?!??!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Smitty's cool but his power is just kind of too OP for him to play a major role in any kind of storytelling. I feel if he ever had a bigger role it would end up boring.

Now let me tell you about a certain Anthony Carver.

Yeah it's honestly incredibly powerful, it could lead to a very funny finale though!

"We need to find the Seed of Bismuth before the Court collapses and brings reality with it"

"Hey guys what do you think this is? It's been in my bedroom drawer since I moved in"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This thread has been poo poo ever since Anthony showed up. That's the true source of my hate for him.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YF-23 posted:

While I agree that it's a power better assigned to a side character than a protagonist, his power seems to be limited to small, local scale stuff. It hasn't been shown to go beyond one or two connections (I've lost my marble -> oh a marble, throw this thing -> it lands where we need it), with the mid-term results sometimes being pretty bad (tidal wave of animals, oh poo poo rage ghost to the face). "Here's the seed bismuth" would be quite the step up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

While I agree that it's a power better assigned to a side character than a protagonist, his power seems to be limited to small, local scale stuff. It hasn't been shown to go beyond one or two connections (I've lost my marble -> oh a marble, throw this thing -> it lands where we need it), with the mid-term results sometimes being pretty bad (tidal wave of animals, oh poo poo rage ghost to the face). "Here's the seed bismuth" would be quite the step up.

We'll see! either that or "Mr. Smith here are your exam results"

"Uh sir this document says 'Omega Plant Plans. Very Hush Hush ya know' "

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

EmmyOk posted:

Let's talk about our favourite characters. I like Smitty a lot and his power is one of the most interesting I've seen in any media, I'm not sure he is my favourite though. Please post your favourite characters too so I can correct you for not choosing Smitty.

<--

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Brinnie is Mrs Haveland

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Boxbot is my favorite!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Boxbot is my favorite!

I was hoping someone would say this, he is also a very good answer. A very strong silver medal.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah it's honestly incredibly powerful, it could lead to a very funny finale though!

"We need to find the Seed of Bismuth before the Court collapses and brings reality with it"

"Hey guys what do you think this is? It's been in my bedroom drawer since I moved in"

Smitty having the seed the whole time would be fantastic.

I was really glad when he was chosen as the ambassador for the court, he's simply the best guy there is for showing a bunch of chaotic creatures that sometimes order can be a good thing.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

EmmyOk posted:

I was hoping someone would say this, he is also a very good answer. A very strong silver medal.

Silver medals are for losers. :colbert:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Silver medals are for losers. :colbert:

I hope this means you are a Gold medal Smitty fan? Otherwise those are bold words for a SUB-SILVER!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is an empty quote

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

...showing a bunch of chaotic creatures that sometimes order can be a good thing.

Oh hey, there's a good way of looking at it!

D&D alignments. The story of two organizations that epitomize Lawful Good and Chaotic Good, and their bumbling efforts in their generations-long attempt to get along.

Or Lawful/Chaotic Neutral, if you don't think they quite qualify as "good."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Oh god, Jones caught Anime! It infects everything!!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

T-man posted:

Oh god, Jones Annie caught Anime! It infects everything!!

:colbert:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

One Legged Cat posted:

Oh hey, there's a good way of looking at it!

D&D alignments. The story of two organizations that epitomize Lawful Good and Chaotic Good, and their bumbling efforts in their generations-long attempt to get along.

Or Lawful/Chaotic Neutral, if you don't think they quite qualify as "good."

Yeah, I've always viewed it like this: The main thing about The Court is that it provides lots of structure, and the main thing about the Forest is that it allows a lot of freedom. Freedom and structure can be both good and bad, and some creatures/people/whatever prefer more of one or the other, but there's not really one side that's right or wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Tollymain posted:

this is an empty quote

This is not a pipe