Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Does anyone more in-the-know than I am have any idea when the new Basius pads might be available at retail? The website has a speculative date of last May. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bit more happy with him now, though the armour is still sloppy as hell. I haven't touched it up yet, just highlighted the metallics and loincloth/holster.

The dark purple is a nod to the old Rogue Trader Alpha Legion scheme. Just some final edge highlights and a bit of shading to do, then onto the base.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Bit more happy with him now, though the armour is still sloppy as hell. I haven't touched it up yet, just highlighted the metallics and loincloth/holster.

The dark purple is a nod to the old Rogue Trader Alpha Legion scheme. Just some final edge highlights and a bit of shading to do, then onto the base.

The purple really works well with the shifting green/blue of the armour, as does the silver. Like I said earlier, you've done a great job and should be proud of that model.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Fearless posted:

The purple really works well with the shifting green/blue of the armour, as does the silver. Like I said earlier, you've done a great job and should be proud of that model.

My main problem is that I have and can do better. I'm generally quite critical of my own work.

Still, I've learned some things, which is the main point.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JerryLee posted:

Does anyone more in-the-know than I am have any idea when the new Basius pads might be available at retail? The website has a speculative date of last May. :shepface:

No idea. I could've sworn they were going to be sold through Mantic too, but I didn't see any on their site.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'm painting some Zombicide hero pieces so that I can take a break from Infinity and Trollbloods. The models are actually pretty nice and detailed for monopose, soft plastic, boardgame pieces.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Slimnoid posted:

No idea. I could've sworn they were going to be sold through Mantic too, but I didn't see any on their site.

People in the TG Kickstarter thread are talking about just now receiving theirs. I would imagine that they're just waiting to get them out to backers before selling them retail.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
I hosed up and posted this in the wrong thread originally, but here is one of three Reaper minis (for the Frostgrave game) that I oathed in the Oath Thread:

It's the "Bertrand, Monk" figure from Reaper. I also decided to challenge myself and limit my palette for the figure to just browns/earth tones. Pleased with how he's turning out so far, especially considering I did this all pretty much in one night (Army Painter Strong Tone and Soft Tone inks are literally talent in a bottle). I just have to do some metallic bits and he's pretty much good to go. Not quite as pleased with how the paintjob on the base (from Dragon Forge) turned out, but I figure I can just re-do that until I'm happy with it.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
Back to the primer chat at the top of the page, do you all use different primer for resin models than you do for plastic?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord Thrust posted:

Back to the primer chat at the top of the page, do you all use different primer for resin models than you do for plastic?

I use automotive spray, and it's worked fine for me on metals, plastics, and resins. As far as I'm aware there's no primer especially for resin.

The only thing that comes to mind is that bonesium doesn't like primer.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I use Armory and/or Rustoleum primer on both plastics and resin and they work fine.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

ijyt posted:

I use automotive spray, and it's worked fine for me on metals, plastics, and resins. As far as I'm aware there's no primer especially for resin.

The only thing that comes to mind is that bonesium doesn't like primer.

Montana Gold works great on bonesium

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What's a good source for Silflor Grass Tufts in the US?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Montana Gold works great on bonesium

As does Krylon.

Really though, for bones, if you give it a thin layer of paint over it first you'll be fine. I typically hit it with one layer of airbrushed VMA white before I do anything else with it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What's a good source for Silflor Grass Tufts in the US?

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/SilflorMiniNatur/departments/1040/

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Getting ready to start painting my first modełs just waiting on some last supplies to come in next week but I'm kind of nervous all I'll do is make a horrible mess and I won't be able to assemble and paint these things. Is it common to be nervous about doing this stuff for the first time or am I just a big dumb baby? I don't want my stuff to be fodder for the horrible painting thread :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Getting ready to start painting my first modełs just waiting on some last supplies to come in next week but I'm kind of nervous all I'll do is make a horrible mess and I won't be able to assemble and paint these things. Is it common to be nervous about doing this stuff for the first time or am I just a big dumb baby? I don't want my stuff to be fodder for the horrible painting thread :v:

This is the first thing I painted for the last thread:

Don't sweat it

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

Sorry buddy, once I went scorched brown I could never go back.

@~'~,~~
Gone But Not Forgotten
~~,~'~,~@

My last pot of that dried out so I started modifying Dark Flesh. One of the last remaining batches of Calthan Brown shall soon turn to a useless polymer lump. :rip:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
First Cygnar I've painted.

I've done a bunch of Menoth in the past, so painting with blue is a new thing. Tried to keep it simple and fast, so I could paint up a bunch for a journeyman.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

GreenMarine posted:

First Cygnar I've painted.

I've done a bunch of Menoth in the past, so painting with blue is a new thing. Tried to keep it simple and fast, so I could paint up a bunch for a journeyman.

Consider doing some edge highlighting on the gold with silver, and perhaps some purple washes on the deepest recesses too. Really helps it look more rich and less flat.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll try the purple in a small area to see what the results look like. Or maybe on a little solo first.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

$11 flat rate shipping!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

$11 flat rate shipping!

Outrage is not the reaction I'd expect when you're clearly buying up to 500 dollars worth of stuff

Seriously though if you want silflor, you buy from a railroad shop. You could always just buy the army painter kits though, it's the same poo poo.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Post 9-11 User posted:

@~'~,~~
Gone But Not Forgotten
~~,~'~,~@

My last pot of that dried out so I started modifying Dark Flesh. One of the last remaining batches of Calthan Brown shall soon turn to a useless polymer lump. :rip:

psst...Reaper Master Series Muddy Brown. :ssh:

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
just getting back into painting again, was never any good to begin with

tear me apart, help me get better!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Tried it on a bit that was hidden and the little void it leaves is almost worse than the dust. It's fine from a distance, not like this was going to be a competition entry or anything.

Try sanding with fine grade sandpaper - it's going to be a pretty big hole to fill afterwards because you have to get a gentle gradient.

You could try painting the hole as a chip in the ice? Highlight up the edges and add some cracks.

Dust is a real pain...

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

bencreateddisco posted:

just getting back into painting again, was never any good to begin with

tear me apart, help me get better!

Mmm. The eyes. Eyes on the first model are a bit off. That's mostly a matter of practice and technique. Personally, I usually paint eyes inside out. I'll start with some walnut brown, paint some off-white around it to shape pupils, then paint some black around the whites to shape the eyes, and finally paint skin tone around the black leaving just a very thin line behind. That's also what's missing from the second model. Needs something to help define the eye from the face. You've got the eyes pretty well lined in the first model, but there's not a strong enough transition in the second model. There are a few places (like the first guy's face) where it looks like the paint went on a bit thick. Needs a bit of highlighting too. Second guy, give his face a wash to help bring out his features, with some highlighting on the cheeks and nose. There's some sloppiness on second dude's cape. Practice layering to help get nice, smooth transitions between different colors.

Mind, they both look good for someone who's been out of the game a while. But you asked, and those are things that look like they could use a little fixing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Try sanding with fine grade sandpaper - it's going to be a pretty big hole to fill afterwards because you have to get a gentle gradient.

You could try painting the hole as a chip in the ice? Highlight up the edges and add some cracks.

Dust is a real pain...

It disappeared during the drybrushing, but that's a pretty good idea that'll I'll remember for later.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Just gonna leave my new Croak Raiders here, very happy with how they turned out. Painting these guys taught me a lot about using Shades and Washes (the skin is just 2 yellow washes followed by 2 orange shades).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Generally the stuff that ends up in the Bad Painting Thread is stuff listed as PRO PAINTED A++++ on ebay when it is anything but, or the stuff that's so bad it trancends reason and becomes something sublime.

It's pretty unlikely that anyone's going to post your very first miniature in there, we all started somewhere. Just take your time, thin your paints and play with some washes, you'll be fine.

Plus if you really gently caress it up, you can just strip the paint off and try again!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Thinking of replacing my crappy knockoff airbrushes with a proper one. I'm looking at the SP-35 vs the Revolution - is the Iwata worth the 300% price increase over the Sparmax? Or is there a superior alternative to both?

I'm looking to do some zenithal highlighting /pre and post shading for larger models.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Z the IVth posted:

Thinking of replacing my crappy knockoff airbrushes with a proper one. I'm looking at the SP-35 vs the Revolution - is the Iwata worth the 300% price increase over the Sparmax? Or is there a superior alternative to both?

I'm looking to do some zenithal highlighting /pre and post shading for larger models.

I've reviewed the SP-35, it's a decent airbrush and much better than an eBay clone. If you will be using the airbrush a LOT for fine detail work and need super smooth layers the expensive brushes like the Revolution or the Badger Krome or Sotar are another option. The SP-35 will be a good general purpose brush though, but it won't spray as wide as the Patriot because of the smaller needle size, so if you're doing a lot of terrain or many vehicles look at getting a larger needle/nozzle set or the Patriot.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

I've reviewed the SP-35, it's a decent airbrush and much better than an eBay clone. If you will be using the airbrush a LOT for fine detail work and need super smooth layers the expensive brushes like the Revolution or the Badger Krome or Sotar are another option. The SP-35 will be a good general purpose brush though, but it won't spray as wide as the Patriot because of the smaller needle size, so if you're doing a lot of terrain or many vehicles look at getting a larger needle/nozzle set or the Patriot.

Thanks! General purpose is all I need. The eBay ones all packed up on me and I want something reliable.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Luebbi posted:

Just gonna leave my new Croak Raiders here, very happy with how they turned out. Painting these guys taught me a lot about using Shades and Washes (the skin is just 2 yellow washes followed by 2 orange shades).

I really like these. They remind me of poison dart frogs. :yayclod:

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR

JackMann posted:

Mmm. The eyes. Eyes on the first model are a bit off. That's mostly a matter of practice and technique. Personally, I usually paint eyes inside out. I'll start with some walnut brown, paint some off-white around it to shape pupils, then paint some black around the whites to shape the eyes, and finally paint skin tone around the black leaving just a very thin line behind. That's also what's missing from the second model. Needs something to help define the eye from the face. You've got the eyes pretty well lined in the first model, but there's not a strong enough transition in the second model. There are a few places (like the first guy's face) where it looks like the paint went on a bit thick. Needs a bit of highlighting too. Second guy, give his face a wash to help bring out his features, with some highlighting on the cheeks and nose. There's some sloppiness on second dude's cape. Practice layering to help get nice, smooth transitions between different colors.

Mind, they both look good for someone who's been out of the game a while. But you asked, and those are things that look like they could use a little fixing.

I'll post my next couple models and keep that in mind, much appreciated!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Chance II posted:

I'm painting some Zombicide hero pieces so that I can take a break from Infinity and Trollbloods. The models are actually pretty nice and detailed for monopose, soft plastic, boardgame pieces.

Duuuude - you need to refocus your camera and post better shots, because, from what I can see, those are some really nicely painted minis!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Does anyone have recommendations on a good mobile painting setup? As in something you can just fairly quickly pack up and deploy in a park, or just some other location with some of your paints, brushes, and other basic necessities.

Also, anyone have good recommendations for tiered paint racks for reaper bottles for a desk?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

Also, anyone have good recommendations for tiered paint racks for reaper bottles for a desk?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W8XLAM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5ZRU6P99TCXH&coliid=I3JGSE9ISA381V

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VN31JO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=5ZRU6P99TCXH&coliid=I142S8ZXPYKH73

Nail polish racks are fairly cheap and fit Reaper/Vallejo bottles perfectly.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Perfect, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Advance Deployment also makes a customizable shelf that's pretty affordable if you need to accommodate larger paint pots.

http://store.advanceddeployment.com/mdf-paint-rack/