Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think you should already have Mist and Bat by that point, Bat form is in the ancient library if I recall?

But yeah almost every boss is just too easy in SOTN except for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I guess one possibility is that there's something with the Wolf form I'm overlooking. Actually that seems extremely likely, because I haven't discovered a single use for it besides "go fast". But I could have sworn I completely explored the Library except for that one part that's too high for my double jump to reach that obviously calls for Bat form. Oh well, I'll try again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Amppelix posted:

So my whole point was, after beating Legion I seem to be stuck. I've explored all my obvious options, and as far as I know all open directions on the map are places I can't go yet. I was kind of expecting to get Mist or Bat form from Legion since one of those would definitely get me to new places but he only gave me a sword? Did I miss something obvious and Legion does actually give you an ability?

Did you use the Spike Breaker armor to go to the final hallway of the Forgotten Chapel? It's a hallway on the left side of one of those large bell towers. You need mist form to get all the way through though.

If you don't have mist at all yet, explore the Coliseum more. If you need bat form it's in the Long Library, you have to go a long ways around and then under the section where the Librarian is. But you need to have mist to reach it. There's as second mist power up that lets you fly around in mist form instead of just passing through a thing, but you can just repeatedly turn to mist to get around the Library.

Also once you get the bat form, it's a lot easier to explore Olrox's Quarters. This is an optional but fun area you get to from the clock in the middle of the castle (where the music cuts out). Use the stop watch and it makes the barricade on the upper left move away so you can jump up.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 3, 2015

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The thing about SotN is that they shoved in a bunch of different gameplay things for Alucard to do and as a result he's the most overpowered protagonist in the entire series. They work out the balance a bit better in the later games, once they have a chance to iterate a little.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

The thing about SotN is that they shoved in a bunch of different gameplay things for Alucard to do and as a result he's the most overpowered protagonist in the entire series. They work out the balance a bit better in the later games, once they have a chance to iterate a little.

I think Soma has more abilities and sadly due to less buttons available to him way worse controls and constant "equip this mobility power, now equip this one, ok now back to your fighting power"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah Soma's ability set is absolutely ridiculous compared to even SotN. SotN I find to be balanced pretty well, just if you've played other Castlevania games or if you played SotN a million times then of course it's going to seem really easy.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Did you use the Spike Breaker armor to go to the final hallway of the Forgotten Chapel? It's a hallway on the left side of one of those large bell towers. You need mist form to get all the way through though.

If you don't have mist at all yet, explore the Coliseum more. If you need bat form it's in the Long Library, you have to go a long ways around and then under the section where the Librarian is. But you need to have mist to reach it. There's as second mist power up that lets you fly around in mist form instead of just passing through a thing, but you can just repeatedly turn to mist to get around the Library.

Also once you get the bat form, it's a lot easier to explore Olrox's Quarters. This is an optional but fun area you get to from the clock in the middle of the castle (where the music cuts out). Use the stop watch and it makes the barricade on the upper left move away so you can jump up.

Well there's your problem: I had missed the Quarters entirely and thus the entrance to the Colosseum. Unless there's another entrance hidden away somewhere? Ugh, this is getting confusing, I'll just post my current map:

This is after finally getting to the coliseum, exploring a bit, and getting Mist. I don't see any other way to get anywhere, so did I just miss some completely obvious thing or did you really have to pass through the quarters to get here? If so that is some bullshit. Bring a specific subweapon to one room? Sure there's a clock there but that is some out-there puzzle solving. I didn't even know there was a puzzle! I expected that room to just open later or something.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Amppelix posted:

Well there's your problem: I had missed the Quarters entirely and thus the entrance to the Colosseum. Unless there's another entrance hidden away somewhere? Ugh, this is getting confusing, I'll just post my current map:

This is after finally getting to the coliseum, exploring a bit, and getting Mist. I don't see any other way to get anywhere, so did I just miss some completely obvious thing or did you really have to pass through the quarters to get here? If so that is some bullshit. Bring a specific subweapon to one room? Sure there's a clock there but that is some out-there puzzle solving. I didn't even know there was a puzzle! I expected that room to just open later or something.

Head back to the boss fight area in the Library.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Amppelix posted:

I'm playing Symphony of the Night (the PSP version) for the first time. So far, almost 4 hours in, the game is really good-feeling and well designed, but it also seems way easy compared to the DSvanias and Aria (which are the other ones I've played). I have yet to lose to a boss more than once; all of them so far have had super simple patterns and/or have been easily exploitable. I didn't even get to find out what Kara...something, the crowman, did. I stunlocked him into a corner from the start of the fight by just attacking with my sword at regular intervals and then he died.

The difficulty curve is weird. You'll have a boss that does 1 damage to you because you have good gear and then 20 minutes later have a boss that stunlocks you straight to death because you got hit by the wrong attack. Or skeletons you just walk through because whatever 0 damage and then you come across a skeleton that has a laser that is a multi-hit attack that also stunlocks you and does like 700 damage because you weren't paying attention.Or you can do stuff like switch forms to completely trivialize certain bosses.

I think SOTN has a lot of weird issues like that just because it was setting the template for Metroidvania. I had to constantly remind myself when playing it that it was the first one because I actually started with the GBA games, then DS, then SOTN. Like I can't imagine as a child how dissapointed I would be going from SOTN to COTM although I like them both as separate games.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I actually like the goofy balance in SotN. I end up replaying it a lot because if I feel like being casual I can just cheese it and if I want a normal challenge, it's as simple as "don't use magic and a few certain items". I always try to avoid using Soul Steal though; it completely trivializes everything.
Even though it's one of my favorite games, I always find myself getting a little bored in the reverse castle and just sweeping through it with the Crissaegrim. The lack of new mobility powers is part of it, but after a recent playthrough, I think it's the music. There's like 2 songs that play throughout the bulk of the castle, and neither of them are as interesting as anything in the normal castle.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

SotN puts more emphasis on the RPG elements in the sense that your equipment and items make a huge difference. Elemental resistance shuts down several bosses, and having high defense means you can tank fairly effectively. Enemies in the later stages do more damage to compensate for this, but by that point you'll have access to very powerful endgame weapons (a sword that hits four times per attack, a katana with a teleporting move, a rod with a special attack that hits the entire screen). And that's not even going into the truly ridiculous stuff you can do like the Shield Rod or the Bat Charge.

I think Iga himself said that SotN was very much an experiment for them. They didn't have a clear plan when they started out, so they constantly kept adding new things. The result is a game with a ton of variety and neat little details, but also one that is trivially easy unless you intentionally restrict yourself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I never got the hang of using magic in SOTN, and I regret that, because they all look really cool.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Magic would be a lot more fun to use if Soul Steal didn't exist. The fact that it does trivializes all magic. I should try a magic and special attacks only run, but it would be incredibly tedious at the start.

The weird thing about SotN is how if you just play through the game normally while killing everything in your way, if you got a quick 3-4 extra levels off something early in the game (like the mermen at the start, or spiked balls in the chapel) you will pretty much 1-2 shot almost every enemy for the rest of the game even with your bare fists. My most recent and current playthrough (unarmed and fist weapons only) I actually decided to make it easier for myself and grabbed the Jewel Knuckles early (just used the Fireball/Hellfire spell to skip the Armor guarding it) and it's pretty ridiculous. Even now in the IC I'm still one- or two-shotting everything, except bosses, and generally as soon as anything actually hits me, I can just Soul Steal once or twice to heal to full.

I agree that the difficulty curve is all over the place, though, since there's bosses like poor Karasuman, which I've only seen do anything once in about 20 playthroughs, and then there's other bosses which shall not be named which are pretty much the opposite.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Personally I think the mixed up difficulty makes it feel more like draculas castle and less like a video game level. Alucard being super powerful also makes sense considering his lineage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would much rather have a character with Alucard's bevy of abilities all at my fingertips and a very hard game full of challenging puzzles and monsters that required me to use my mobility powers, sub-weapons and spells in conjunction than a game with fewer options and easier gameplay every single time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Lots of noise being made about a report in Nikkei about Konami being a shitheap to work for: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/report-reveals-restrictive-and-hostile-working-con/1100-5251/

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Nate RFB posted:

Lots of noise being made about a report in Nikkei about Konami being a shitheap to work for: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/report-reveals-restrictive-and-hostile-working-con/1100-5251/

Holy poo poo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Goddamn, all the jokes about IGA being demoted to janitor may actually have been true.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So this all started around 2010, right?

You know what else happened in 2010? That disastrous amazing press conference they did at E3. Maybe Konami are throwing a tantrum because everyone found them to be a hilarious joke that year.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Amppelix posted:

It doesn't open up when you use the sub weapon. It opens up if you wait there. Which is kind of hinted at, by being a clock room. Also, it always opens the first time you enter the room and the cutscene with Maria plays.

EDIT:
Basically, it's open every other minute of play time. So it might be open when you get there, or it might not be. But if you wait, it'll change.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

andipossess posted:

It doesn't open up when you use the sub weapon. It opens up if you wait there. Which is kind of hinted at, by being a clock room. Also, it always opens the first time you enter the room and the cutscene with Maria plays.

EDIT:
Basically, it's open every other minute of play time. So it might be open when you get there, or it might not be. But if you wait, it'll change.

One path opens when you use the stop watch in that room though, it has like five exits.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Which games are like SOTN besides Aria?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All the GBA/DS games are like SOTN to varying degrees, and Harmony of Despair is very loosely built on the framework of those games.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

One path opens when you use the stop watch in that room though, it has like five exits.

That other path is just a dead end with funny items, though. Not that you'd know it your first time through, I guess.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Sakurazuka posted:

6, and one is pretty important.

As far as getting stuck, look at your map for any doors or incomplete pathways you haven't explored, or try to remember places you saw bars that "Mist could pass" before you had it. Symphony of the Night is a tad less obtuse than some of the DS games as far as convoluted map progression, but you might have to re-tread an area or two. Once you get bat though, you should be able to get to the throne room, at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess they announced a new character for Bloodstained at some Xbox event:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Samurai Dracula!?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I approve.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Thanks to everyone giving advice, but the problem was already solved when I found the coliseum. The real problem was the clock room; I noticed it open one time, but when I came through there with the double jump it was closed and I thought nothing of it and moved on, expecting to get some obvious key item to use with the clock or something like that. I still don't like that room at all, that's some expert level divination you need to do to puzzle it out.

Now I'm like a third of the way through the inverted castle and I can already feel my drive to finish the game waning. loving Final Toccata, man. Also, the enemy placement seems to be made specifically to annoy the poo poo out of you and it makes traversing anywhere a huge chore of swapping forms and superjumping constantly only to be knocked back by some rear end in a top hat skeleton throwing completely unavoidable bone shurikens.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Gologle posted:

Samurai Dracula!?

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Nate RFB posted:

I guess they announced a new character for Bloodstained at some Xbox event:

I look at it and I see Gabriel Belmont. But I'm still digging the artificial arm with the seals all over it.

He's probably the third (second?) playable character.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I want to play as him in a Platinum-style character action game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Amppelix posted:

loving Final Toccata, man.

I really enjoy that song when I haven't played the game for awhile, but why couldn't they have mixed it up? With a soundtrack full of winners like they had, it makes no sense.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The whole inverted castle feels rushed, and it probably was.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Blackheart posted:

I dunno, some of its enemy designs are inspired. The inverted staircase has this upside-down-stair-climbing gondola thingy to harass you!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It also has some of the coolest bosses in the game, namely Galamoth and Beelzebub.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Speedball posted:

I dunno, some of its enemy designs are inspired. The inverted staircase has this upside-down-stair-climbing gondola thingy to harass you!

Yeah, but.. I don't know, it's like they did a lot more enemies and bosses than they needed and the regular castle was full so they went all "poo poo where do we put all these extra cool dudes we just did".

But really it just needed a couple extra tunes to spice it up a little. I'd like some hack or "remix" (but it won't happen officially because lol Konami) that sort of rebalanced the whole game (mostly the numbers and stuff, no boss AI changes or stuff like that), or shuffle item drops and stats around so they make more sense.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, but.. I don't know, it's like they did a lot more enemies and bosses than they needed and the regular castle was full so they went all "poo poo where do we put all these extra cool dudes we just did".

But really it just needed a couple extra tunes to spice it up a little. I'd like some hack or "remix" (but it won't happen officially because lol Konami) that sort of rebalanced the whole game (mostly the numbers and stuff, no boss AI changes or stuff like that), or shuffle item drops and stats around so they make more sense.

I'd take a music mod, because really, any game difficulty flies out the window once you have 50 MP.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'd take a music mod, because really, any game difficulty flies out the window once you have 50 MP.

Maybe if MP didn't regenerate over time. Some other way of refilling might've let you not abuse that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Blackheart posted:

It definitely was, what with every area in the inverted castle intending to have new songs but only 2 of them ending up that way