Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

NofrikinfuN posted:

What is Obsidian doing these days anyway?

Learning how to color in the lines and not poop their pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dongicus posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's pc release is on the 1st of September and i can already tell it will be the only game to do a open world game style right

Kinda hard because it's not really open world.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Fallout 1 & 2 look way better than 3 or NV, IMO. They're some of the very ugliest & vacant games ever.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Fooz posted:

Fallout 1 & 2 look way better than 3 or NV, IMO. They're some of the very ugliest & vacant games ever.

Fallout 1 and 2 are ugly as sin. The gently caress are you talking about?

All the Fallout games look like poop.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JackBadass posted:

Fallout 1 and 2 are ugly as sin. The gently caress are you talking about?

All the Fallout games look like poop.

I think it holds up, some of the models they used look even better than the graphics in Fallout 3/NV. Of course the difference is the fact that all of Fallout 1/2 graphics are pre-rendered, where as Fallout 3 is all real time rendering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKkHmFOfKE

vs

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 3, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Rutibex posted:

I think it holds up, some of the models they used look even better than the graphics in Fallout 3/NV. Of course the difference is the fact that all of Fallout 1/2 graphics are pre-rendered, where as Fallout 3 is all real time rendering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKkHmFOfKE

I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is, but everything in 1 and 2 looks too "round". They're still fun and playable in spite of that though, don't get me wrong.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

1 & 2 still look fine to me. Sort-of charming isometric art.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The pre-rendered talking heads look good, and a fair few of the death animations are pretty cool, but generally Fallout 1+2 look really bad

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pwnstar posted:

It would be funny if New York was just completely intact and nobody actually knew why, they all just got lucky or something.

I had this happen playing an old Cold War sim called Harpoon. Russian subs launched missiles at every point on the eastern seaboard, but because only one sub targeted New York (I guess I sank the other one or something) and it used cruise missiles that I could shoot down instead of ICBMs, New York survived an all-out nuclear apocalypse.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dongicus posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain's pc release is on the 1st of September and i can already tell it will be the only game to do a open world game style right

There's zero chance it won't atleast be as poo poo as mgs 4, unless you're one of those "make your own fun" kindergarteners who enjoys making big stuff out of legoes and tearing it down again.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 4, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm playing through Fallout 3 and NV again right now and enjoying them and I'm going to enjoy F4 when it comes out too, I can't wait! The only thing that will detract from my enjoyment isn't the other Fallout games, but rather that I've played the Witcher 3 and open world won't be the same for me.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ilustforponydeath posted:

There's zero chance it won't atleast be as poo poo as mgs 4, unless you're one of those "make your own fun" kindergarteners who enjoys making big stuff out of legoes and tearing it down again.

Funny you say that in a Bethesda game thread.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Have they released any system requirements yet?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just guesses and speculation.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

sparatuvs posted:

Have they released any system requirements yet?

This is the only announcement I'm dreading because my PC is kinda lovely and I really want to play this game :smith:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they showed water yet? The water rendering in Skyrim was actually pretty good, but it would be nice if they improved on it to make it less fake looking.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They've shown, like, a creek. It looked okay, as creeks go, but it wasn't something you could dive into.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
And have they made it so that not every single puddle or lake of standing water is irradiated? That was annoying as poo poo when I was playing Point Lookout because you had to constantly cross creeks to get anywhere. I mean yeah I know, post-nuclear, but every drop of water doesn't need to be radioactive.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Radiation looks like to be actually annoying in F4 so hopefully no. Or yes if they want to be hardcore I guess

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

And have they made it so that not every single puddle or lake of standing water is irradiated? That was annoying as poo poo when I was playing Point Lookout because you had to constantly cross creeks to get anywhere. I mean yeah I know, post-nuclear, but every drop of water doesn't need to be radioactive.

It was only annoying if you don't know how to use a radaway.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

JackBadass posted:

It was only annoying if you don't know how to use a radaway.

you didn't even need to use a radaway. you could just ago about your game like normal swimming in irradiated water and walking through swamps without a care in the world for the most part, and then you could go to the doctor and be treated for radiation whenever it was convenient. it was only you were dealing with like +10, +20 rads for long periods of time that poo poo was like "ok, this is bad," and those types of places are few and far apart.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apart from doing it once or twice to see what would happen, I've never had serious radiation poisoning in any of the 3D Fallouts.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sector_corrector posted:

Apart from doing it once or twice to see what would happen, I've never had serious radiation poisoning in any of the 3D Fallouts.

Yeah the game pretty much just hands out tons of Rad-Away and Rad-X so you pretty much are fine.

Of course the most common cause of severe radiation poisoning in any game is trying to play chess with the computer in The Glow :v:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I think I died once by accidentally falling into all those pools of toxic waste next to the dumping barrels in that weird green swampish area that's super irradiated in new Vegas but that's the only time I can remember.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i never knew radiation could actually kill you because it had never happened to me in 3, and i totally hosed myself in new vegas once. i was so deep in vault 34 that by the time i realized my error, i was already doomed. my game autosaved after i walked through a door, and i died within 3 seconds. game over.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's still better than classic Fallout where Radiation barely exists.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Bholder posted:

Other than to always give you that one drat mutant toe that it's nearly impossible to avoid getting. :argh:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The real dick move there is that your PipBoy doesn't come with a built in Geiger Counter in the first games so unless there's something really obvious around you'd never know you were being cooked alive. I imagine that's how most people met their end in The Glow when playing chess.

And even when you happen to acquire one you have to manually equip and use it to get any information. Though for a game that took place after a nuclear war, radiation really wasn't a big a factor as a total lack or resources and extreme climate change as a whole were - it really wasn't until Tactics that the devs really started to play up the whole Atomic 50's alternative, though that may be because they could use a colour palette that consisted of more than variations of light and dark browns. It also could be because the games take place decades after the war and fallout and radiation would've dissipated long ago.

From the interviews and brief amounts of footage released so far it looks like the environment may be more hostile this time around - it looks like some attacks actually pass on radiation somehow, and T. Howard himself called attention to the weather in the game and that rad storms were going to be present (apparently standing near lightning strikes also irradiates you). There is also a place called The Glowing Sea which was ground zero for the attack on Boston and still heavily hosed up.

Radiation in the previous games ranged from pretty much non-existent to mildly inconvenient, it sounds like they're trying to up the ante here.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 5, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Bholder posted:

Yeah but how does that make it better when it's barely a mechanic? I just find it mildly irritating to have to pop a Rad Away every ten minutes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

King Vidiot posted:

That might have been more of a theme for Fallout 3, since the whole story was about cleaning up the water.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Psychotic Weasel posted:

From the interviews and brief amounts of footage released so far it looks like the environment may be more hostile this time around - it looks like some attacks actually pass on radiation somehow, and T. Howard himself called attention to the weather in the game and that rad storms were going to be present (apparently standing near lightning strikes also irradiates you). There is also a place called The Glowing Sea which was ground zero for the attack on Boston and still heavily hosed up.

Radiation in the previous games ranged from pretty much non-existent to mildly inconvenient, it sounds like they're trying to up the ante here.

That's a cool idea. Make it something like blowouts and anomolies in STALKER.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You can consider Fallout as a kind of unconscious derivative of Tarkovsky - concerned with the material limits of desire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBQOaQOpkx8

I really hope that water is still a central thematic element of Fallout 4.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 5, 2015

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

JackBadass posted:

Learning how to color in the lines and not poop their pants.

:razz:

Bholder posted:

Kinda hard because it's not really open world.

thats the point mate!!!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I was watching a gameplay breakdown video where they paused the video a lot pick out tiny details. One i found interesting was just looking at bodies will show a quick inventory and you can loot without going into the inventory transfer screen.

It also looks like RAD will take away overall health. Severe rad poisoning might leave you with only 25 hp for example

jeff8472 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 5, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Psychotic Weasel posted:

And then you craft something half way through the game that makes all radiation into a non-issue again.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

Not seeing how that is entirely better, Fallout 3 made the radiation the focus, while it was more like a mechanic to make you think twice in the original games about going somewhere dangerous.

The Glow is also a pretty much more interesting area than any place in all of Fallout 3.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

jeff8472 posted:

I was watching a gameplay breakdown video where they paused the video a lot pick out tiny details. One i found interesting was just looking at bodies will show a quick inventory and you can loot without going into the inventory transfer screen.

It also looks like RAD will take away overall health. Severe rad poisoning might leave you with only 25 hp for example

Do you have a link? It sounds interesting.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Freakazoid_ posted:

And then you craft something half way through the game that makes all radiation into a non-issue again.

Um, yeah, probably? FO3 had the Food Sanitizer you could get fairly early if you knew what you were doing; it just helped with healing but they could always modify it for this game.

Both FO3 and NV had perks to increase your innate Rad Resistance, plus perks that reduced the radiation from consuming old world food, a perk for reducing radiation from all water sources and - at the top of the tree - a perk that let you shed radiation over time. People are trying to guess what perks made it back in to the game based on fuzzy pictures of the poster in your garage, assuming they kept the Vault Boy icons the same it looks like a couple may be returning.

It's a game in which the world has been ruined by radiation and they are giving you means to help mitigate the negative effects of that if you create a character that's designed to handle it. Hardly surprising.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Freakazoid_ posted:

Is that really a problem? Isn't the point of these games to start off weak, become powerful as poo poo, and enjoy the fact that you're a wasteland God by hour 60? I don't understand people who want an endless difficulty curve and constant balance for an open world loot-grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sector_corrector posted:

Is that really a problem? Isn't the point of these games to start off weak, become powerful as poo poo, and enjoy the fact that you're a wasteland God by hour 60? I don't understand people who want an endless difficulty curve and constant balance for an open world loot-grab.

People simultaneously bitch about making issues trivial and then bitch about issues not being made trivial because "it doesn't give any sense of progress".

• Locked thread