Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Uhhhhhhhhh you may have the wrong forum

gently caress you new page. Every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Yip Yips posted:

Uhhhhhhhhh you may have the wrong forum

gently caress you new page. Every time.

Blargh. My bad, sorry about that!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

This seems like the most likely place to ask this, but is it worth investing more to get a better pen? Or are they all basically the same? I don't mean specifically for art or anything particularly creative, but I figured you guys would be the most knowledgeable about such hardware.

My pens never seem to work long, and I'm getting slightly frustrated. Is a $35 pen more likely to work longer than a cheapy one? Or should I just buy a bunch of cheap ones with the same money? Since I'm left-handed, I do more pushing than pulling when writing, so I guess that really affects things.

Sorry if you guys don't know or if I'm asking the wrong people.

If you're just concerned about it running out of ink/drying up quickly, may I interest you in the Seven Year Pen?

It writes well, the ink is good, and I always lose mine before it runs out. I used it for basic writing and quick fun sketches.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

If you're just concerned about it running out of ink/drying up quickly, may I interest you in the Seven Year Pen?

It writes well, the ink is good, and I always lose mine before it runs out. I used it for basic writing and quick fun sketches.

No, the pens are always full of ink; they just stop working. I'm not sure it's because it's dry either. Maybe I should just give up on ballpoints.
Maybe I should try writing right-handed for a while and see if it works, but if I write things in reverse (so I'm pulling instead of pushing), it seems to work better.

I sometimes (at least here in Germany) see quite a few ads for like several hundred dollar/euro pens; what's the advantage of that? Do people really buy such things?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Shadow0 posted:

No, the pens are always full of ink; they just stop working. I'm not sure it's because it's dry either. Maybe I should just give up on ballpoints.
Maybe I should try writing right-handed for a while and see if it works, but if I write things in reverse (so I'm pulling instead of pushing), it seems to work better.

I have the exact same problem with certain kinds of ballpoint pens. Namely, the clear BIC ones. I can't get any ink to come out, and I hold my pen like a left handed person (just in my right hand).

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

I sometimes (at least here in Germany) see quite a few ads for like several hundred dollar/euro pens; what's the advantage of that? Do people really buy such things?

Hundreds of dollars for a pen sounds crazy to me. If you need a really good pen with consistent lines then you'd get something like a refillable rapidograph pen that costs you 20-30 dollars. That's a top of the line pen and an industry standard type of thing. So for quality you can't get much better than one of those. Unfortunately a rapidograph isn't the best pen for general writing because it requires a bit more care than a regular pen (have to regularly clean it out, use special ink, and are picky about the angle you hold them to the paper at, etc) but paying hundreds of dollar for a pen that's probably not going to be of a better quality than a rapidograph or other high end art pen is bit ridiculous.

Though if your pen is good quality it shouldn't break from pushing and pulling alone, I guess maybe try not to put too much pressure on the pens and try multiple brands to see if there are any that work better than something like a BIC. I don't use ballpoints so I can't really suggest any brands.

If you do decide to ditch ballpoints, felt pens might be a good alternative. They are more expensive, range about 2-4 dollars roughly depending on brand and whether you buy them as a set or individually, but they give pretty good performance while they have ink. Micron Pens and the Faber-Castell Pitt Pens are pretty good for art and I don't see why you couldn't use them for writing. If you go to an art store they'll usually let you try pens out to see how you like them. Maybe they'll hold up better with how you are holding them, maybe not. It could be worth a shot though.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
For taking notes I use a cheap papermate inkjoy and they've been good. Not sure how much writing you're doing exactly.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

This is probably the best place to ask. What is the name of this images style? How could I find more of it, and how is it made?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Looks like modern pixel art.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm thinking this is the thread for this because I guess acting questions would fit here?

I'm the lead in a community theatre play and I have to kiss a woman and its making me nervous. I'm married and I know it might be upsetting for my wife to see no matter how much we know intellectually it's just a performance.

I've never done a stage kiss before. From reading I've done, all I really need to do is talk with my scene partner and director and have us both agree beforehand exactly how it goes down, then just kiss for real, just respect each other's boundaries. That seems simple enough. The part that makes me nervous is doing this in front of my wife and other family members. Like I want the scene to be convincing but am worried about being too convincing.

All the articles I could find were from women talking about their nerves doing it, or their nerves watching their husband do it, or a husbands nerves watching a wife do it. There didn't seem to be any from the perspective of a dude who is nervous about stage kissing.

At least my stage partner is single so I don't have to worry about a jealous boyfriend or something on top of my own anxiety kissing in the first place.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bro...have you considered...not acting?

It's a stage kiss. If acting is your thing, and your wife can't handle you kissing someone for show, y'all got some stuff to work out.

Also, this may shock you but men and women are surprisingly similar, being of the same species and all. Are there no similarities between what you might experience and what an actress might?

E: I just realized you're afraid of getting a boner. Tape it down.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Protip: don't eat garlic or onions that day unless you want your female-stage-companion to stop the play and say, "drat that boy got some stank on his mouth."

WHOA that would sure ruin things, so think before you stink, buddy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh my wife's said she's OK with it, but I'm still apprehensive since saying it and seeing it are two different things. I'm not afraid of getting a boner, this is a two or three second kiss at the end of a musical number before another one kicks in, there's no time. I just feel irrationally guilty about it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

greatn posted:

Oh my wife's said she's OK with it, but I'm still apprehensive since saying it and seeing it are two different things. I'm not afraid of getting a boner, this is a two or three second kiss at the end of a musical number before another one kicks in, there's no time. I just feel irrationally guilty about it.

Read over what you just wrote and tell the class how that's not insane.

You're crazy and way too worried about this, hth

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm not extremely worried, just apprehensive and worried that apprehension will affect my performance. And even though my character is the one doing the kissing I still feel just a smidge of guilt like I'm getting away with something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

greatn posted:

I'm not extremely worried, just apprehensive and worried that apprehension will affect my performance. And even though my character is the one doing the kissing I still feel just a smidge of guilt like I'm getting away with something.

You'll get over it. I'm not really sure what you expect us to say.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well you'll get over it is basically the answer I was hoping for.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NancyPants posted:

Read over what you just wrote and tell the class how that's not insane.

You're crazy and way too worried about this, hth

"Neurotypical" humans often feel emotions, and these emotions are often irrational.

Hth.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I need plastic bags to sell prints in at cons. I don't really know where the best and cheapest place to go is, I usually buy some off me neighbor next to me and that obviously isn't the greatest plan. any suggestions?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I recall a tip someone posted here about some options you can fiddle with in Photoshop so that you can press Ctrl-Y to get an idea of the values on colored work. Is there a similar thing I can do in Manga Studio to get the same effect? As I recall, it's not as simple as just converting the image to grayscale because the usual grayscale formula doesn't take how the eye sees value into consideration.

Project2501
Dec 29, 2012

Contains no milk

Troposphere posted:

I need plastic bags to sell prints in at cons. I don't really know where the best and cheapest place to go is, I usually buy some off me neighbor next to me and that obviously isn't the greatest plan. any suggestions?

I sell photo prints at cons, and the best thing I've found is ClearBags.com.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

greatn posted:

Up until this point I thought your wife was going to have to see you in some hot and heavy love scene and I could somewhat understand your apprehension, but it's pinned between two musical numbers I think she'll somehow get through the trauma

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've got audio that has this annoying whitenoise in the background due to some machinery I forgot about despite being near it all the time. I guess that's white noise for you.

What's the best way to go about removing it? I can kind of do it in Adobe Audition, but it ends up really messing with the audio. It's speech, by the way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

triplexpac posted:

Up until this point I thought your wife was going to have to see you in some hot and heavy love scene and I could somewhat understand your apprehension, but it's pinned between two musical numbers I think she'll somehow get through the trauma

I'm pretty much over it at this point but the weird thing is I actually am in a somewhat more romantic number earlier where I get seduced, we waltz romantically, make lovey eyes, embrace, have implied sex, and we get caught in the act and both exposed half naked and that part never bothered me for some reason. And another where she's basically giving me a lap dance.

greatn fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 31, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

greatn posted:

I'm pretty much over it at this point but the weird thing is I actually am in a somewhat more romantic number earlier where I get seduced, we waltz romantically, make lovey eyes, embrace, have implied sex, and we get caught in the act and both exposed half naked and that part never bothered me for some reason. And another where she's basically giving me a lap dance.

In my professional opinion, the only way you will be able to come to terms with the situation is to have sex with the actress in front of your wife. That way, you can get all the nervousness out of your system ahead of time. HTH.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nah we already rehearsed it a few times, I basically got over it after the first time. I think my fear was that I was going to like it too much, but I found I didn't experience any emotions other than satisfaction at the scene being good.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
What's the current wisdom on screen calibrator? I had a Huey pro ears ago but it kicked the bucket. I have two monitors and id rather not blow a load of money.

Electricb7
Sep 7, 2012

>Hand over the jewels lady
Hello guys.
I am having an issue with Photoshops HUD color picker wheel. I know that you bring it up by pressing 'Alt, Shift, and right click'. I have no issue there but once I try and select a color with my tablet pen there is a small number that pops up that's related to the slicing tool or something. Once this happens I cannot use Photoshop at all. And most of the time (every single time) it forces my computer to act strange such as not being able to click on icons, not being able to type on things such as Google. Its really bugging me.
Iv searched high and low for a solution but with no luck, from what Iv come to understand no one else is cry about this problem so does this have something to do with my PC or a specific application? It’s a new build and pretty powerful so I just can’t fathom what is going on.
Am I using the wrong button combination sequence or something? I’ve even changed the shortcut options but no luck.

I'm using Adobe Photoshop CC2015 on Windows7 PC with a Cintiq 21ux if that helps.

There is also an image that shows the exact same numbers that pops up on my PC.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like you're mixing up alt-poo poo-left-click and alt-shift-right-click. The first produces the color sampler points. What you should be doing with a tablet is hold down alt and shift, then your right mouse button equivalent without touching the nib to the tablet. Touching the tablet produces a left click which drops a sampler.

Electricb7
Sep 7, 2012

>Hand over the jewels lady

SynthOrange posted:

Looks like you're mixing up alt-poo poo-left-click and alt-shift-right-click. The first produces the color sampler points. What you should be doing with a tablet is hold down alt and shift, then your right mouse button equivalent without touching the nib to the tablet. Touching the tablet produces a left click which drops a sampler.
perfection

Lol now I cant assign this this correctly to my nostromo (Targarus) speedpad. why me!?r

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I do a lot of looking at digital files of fine art for work. Assuming that I can get a quality monitor out of the department budget next year, what are some midrange models I should be considering? (Note: PC)

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Defenestration posted:

I do a lot of looking at digital files of fine art for work. Assuming that I can get a quality monitor out of the department budget next year, what are some midrange models I should be considering? (Note: PC)

There is a thread that covers monitors pretty exhaustively and it might be helpful in your search. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494

Personally, I'm partial to the Dell Ultrasharp line for IPS monitors, they aren't terribly expensive but they are far from the only option. I'm sure the thread will be able to give you a good recommendation if you tell them your exact requirements.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

JuniperCake posted:

There is a thread that covers monitors pretty exhaustively and it might be helpful in your search. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494

Personally, I'm partial to the Dell Ultrasharp line for IPS monitors, they aren't terribly expensive but they are far from the only option. I'm sure the thread will be able to give you a good recommendation if you tell them your exact requirements.
Will do, thank you

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I have a sudden need to pick up blender, so I've been hitting a lot of tutorial videos on youtube.

Stopping/starting/rewinding youtube videos while trying to work in blender has been a huge headache. I'm going to investigate writing an autohotkey script that will give me keyboard shortcuts for the commands I want to send to youtube without losing focus from blender.

I'm wondering though - do you skilled arts people have a tool/workflow hack to get around this problem already? There's so much on youtube - there has to be a better system than what I'm currently doing.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Get one of those browser plugins that lets you download YouTube videos. Then set global hotkeys for VLC.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

neonnoodle posted:

Get one of those browser plugins that lets you download YouTube videos. Then set global hotkeys for VLC.

Didn't know about global hotkeys for VLC. Thanks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I've been hunting around a bit can't seem to find anything, do we have a commission thread? I'm looking to hire someone to help design a tattoo and I can't draw for poo poo

V--:tipshat:

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 8, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Opopanax posted:

I've been hunting around a bit can't seem to find anything, do we have a commission thread? I'm looking to hire someone to help design a tattoo and I can't draw for poo poo

Yep, it's a sticky:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Not sure I'm in the right thread. Can anyone identify this painting? I want it on my wall.

http://m.imgur.com/2ZFnUKb

And for the drat life of me I cannot figure out how to make a "timg" thumbnail or whatever. If you tell me how I'll edit it plus stop annoying people with giant pictures in the future

Thanks person under me! It didn't show a picture when I tried that in preview.

E: Still didn't work. Just made it a link

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
use [timg] instead of [img]