Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There are so many different ways to break Bravely Default over your knee. I love it.

Personally I enjoyed setting up a 4 Ninjas with Super Jump strategy, setting it and auto, and going to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

zoux posted:

I just said that for political reasons. I secretly am.

Some of the 3D Classics are really good, I liked 3D Out Run a lot and the eShop thread was saying a lot of good things about Streets of Rage 2 (Gunstar Heroes is coming soon too) There's also
- The Pushmo games (Pullblox if you're in Europe)
- Mighty Switch Force (But both games have better versions on Wii U)
- Sakura Samurai (It's kind of like samurai punch-out)
- Shantae
- The GB Donkey Kong
- Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

There's probably more but I don't have that many 3DS eShop games

Games I like but wouldn't recommend
- A-Train (It's a city simulator type thing that's hard to get into and has a super long tutorial - but it's great if it clicks with you)
- The Mario vs DK games (I have every game in this stupid series and like them but everytime they get brought up it's a bunch of people saying how terrible they are)
- Sayonara Umihara Kawase
- Aeroporter (It's a puzzle game where you sort luggage at an airport. The difficulty ramps up way too fast but it's a lot of fun if you can get over that)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you have more than one character in the same class at the same time, then you have lost.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

I'm too dumb for Bravely Default unfortunately :(. I can't not keep having my party die in the demo due to poison and poo poo.

The Demo is honestly not very good at setting expectations for what the real game is like

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's nice to read because I honestly have no loving clue what i'm doing and I kinda enjoy it! Like I asked earlier, i'm not seeing ANY offensive magic spells so I have like 2 mages doing nothing but hitting with a stick.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Dehry posted:

In the final game, I ended up spending :10bux: on potions to get past the final boss. Somehow my Ninja Pirate combo wasn't working properly, even at LV99.

Oh my dear loving lord. I completely forgot to use the free ones I had. That would have won it for me on my first try.

edit: not that anyone cares, but here's my setup for the last boss, basically the same classes I used for the last several chapters though:

Tiz: Dark Knight/any class, doesn't matter (drain from bloodsword,rage,rage,rage,etc)
Edea: Dark Knight/freelancer just so I can examine (drain from bloodsword,rage,rage,rage,etc)
Agnes: Spirit Master/Red Mage (BP generator / raise / some healing)
Ringabel: Templar/Salve-Maker (dark bane / giant potion / widen-area elixirs for healing / rampart)

With a double rage on Tiz and Edea I could do around 150,000 damage in a turn.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 4, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Abu Dave posted:

That's nice to read because I honestly have no loving clue what i'm doing and I kinda enjoy it! Like I asked earlier, i'm not seeing ANY offensive magic spells so I have like 2 mages doing nothing but hitting with a stick.

You buy them in town.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I used a combination of Ringabell restoring everyone's BP every turn by exploiting that skill that gives BP when somebody gets a negative status, combined with Edea using Samurai's move that makes abilities not cost MP and Pirate's move that always does 9999. Good times.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Pureauthor posted:

There are so many different ways to break Bravely Default over your knee. I love it.

Personally I enjoyed setting up a 4 Ninjas with Super Jump strategy, setting it and auto, and going to do something else.

The class tier list is basically which class takes the least amount of effort to be able to break the game with.

And that is great, because that means I can mop the floor with the Final Boss by just using the classes I like.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
In terms of dealing 9999 damage in one turn I was a huge fan of Godspeed Strike, since it bypasses defense and you can bury the needle of a Thief's agility (the only stat that increases its strength) with two Falcon Knives equipped.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Basically this:

Shulk: You can't screw him up. Focus on Back Slash and Monado abilities. He is literally impossible to screw up and designed that way.

Reyn: Tank. Tanky tank tank. Build him tanky. Focus on his aggro-drawing skills. Give him aggro-drawing gems. Enemies should be beating on him instead of another else.

Dunban: Dodge-Tank. Focus on Peerless, Serene Grace, Gale Slash, mix from there. When you get his AoE attack make it a mainstay. Give him agility/aggro gems OR strip his armor and go Naked if you max his leftmost skill tree. The latter is fun in that you don't need armor but you're probably better off with armor + gems.

Melia: Focus on her DoT skills. Earth, Ice and FIre are all great. Earth is the hardest hitting but has the longest cooldown. Bolt is very good but will drag aggro like crazy. Use it sparingly or as part of chain attacks. (Save Earth for x4 or x5 on chain attacks. Your poison damage stacks absurdly.). Give her Ether Up and Arts Aggro Down gems. Do not use Melia unless you plan to control her. Her AI is incapable of using her skills properly.

Riki: Riki can be built a billion ways but generally it's fine to focus on his Ether Arts. Level up Porison, Freeze, Burn, Paralyze, his heal, Hero TIme and balance from there. I like going for the attack that does more damage the more debuffs the enemy has (You'll be Sorry) which is great for chain attacks. Focus on DoT-buffing gems and Ether up.

Sharla: Bench her. Or if you insist on using her, focus on her healing and buffing. The thing to keep in mind is that she exchanges damage for healing. This results in battles taking longer and thus requiring more healing. It's a viscous circle. You can kind of build her damage-y but she'll be less effective than anyone else. Only pull her out if you absolutely can't beat a boss and just want to slowly heal-tank your way through.

The last character: You can kind of build her as a support character but the wiser thing to do is to go all-in on her absurd autoattack DPS. Get her fourth skill tree (A few sidequests in the village right after she joins, one of the easiest to get) and focus primarily on her buffs: Lock-On, Speed Shift, Healing Field. Final Cross once you get it is great for toppling and her verison of Back Slash and her x3 damage to topple attacks are solid for Chain Attacks. Give her Double Attack and Haste gems.
Hey, I'm playing Xenoblade and this has been helpful. Can someone give me a little guide on linking skills and skill trees? I.e. if I link a skill for Dunban with someone who isn't in the active party (say Reyn if he's benched), does he still get the benefit? I haven't linked any skills, I don't know how this works. I also just got my 4th party member, do skills keep unlocking if people are benched?

Also I am totally making Dunban naked.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

All EXP, AP, and SP are distributed between all characters 100% no matter if they're benched or not. And linking skill trees will work if characters are benched as well.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Alxprit posted:

All EXP, AP, and SP are distributed between all characters 100% no matter if they're benched or not. And linking skill trees will work if characters are benched as well.
OK, I just realized you get affinity coins back if you unequip a skill, so I'm not as worried about messing something up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

OK, I just realized you get affinity coins back if you unequip a skill, so I'm not as worried about messing something up.

The only mistake you can do in Xenoblade is not immediately benching Shulk for a while as soon as you're not fighting Mechon non-stop anymore, and regularly changing the lead character.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

I'm too dumb for Bravely Default unfortunately :(. I can't not keep having my party die in the demo due to poison and poo poo.

The demo is kinda lovely, the game plays much better when you start customizing your party from the ground up so you know what everyone can do.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it may not be ideal but if youre dying all the time in the demo you might be too dumb for the game i dunno its really not that hard

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had no offensive abilities other than "Attack" so :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

were you hitting commands other than attack

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah and nothing would come up other than self buffing moves.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
It's been a while since I played the demo but IIRC the game gives you a bunch of classes to try and the town sells offensive and defensive skills up to level 3 which you probably didn't pick up.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HenryEx posted:

The only mistake you can do in Xenoblade is not immediately benching Shulk for a while as soon as you're not fighting Mechon non-stop anymore, and regularly changing the lead character.

Are you telling me it's a mistake to only ever play Melia? :colbert: Also speaking of, Jesus loving Christ Summon Earth is absurd as the 4x link. :stare: It loving chewed through the boss of Mechonis Field's HP within seconds and I was very confused about where the fight went for a bit. I think the only problem I'm having at the moment, battlewise, is getting a 4x chain. I'm running Melia-Seven-Riki and party affinity with Seven is kind of low compared to the others, so I imagine once that builds up, I'll get considerably more chain links.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah and nothing would come up other than self buffing moves.
buy stuff in town

also use the brave and default commands

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I missed the skills in town that was my problem. Still seemed fun though.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Is the Animal Crossing thread still up? Well never mind, I'll just post this here anyway:

Source

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I played almost exclusively as Shulk the whole game through and had a blast. :)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I mean that's good and all but you kinda missed out on a big part of the game

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fritzler posted:

Hey, I'm playing Xenoblade and this has been helpful. Can someone give me a little guide on linking skills and skill trees? I.e. if I link a skill for Dunban with someone who isn't in the active party (say Reyn if he's benched), does he still get the benefit? I haven't linked any skills, I don't know how this works. I also just got my 4th party member, do skills keep unlocking if people are benched?

Also I am totally making Dunban naked.

Benched characters get 90% of the EXP/AP/SP that the active party gets, so they'll still be getting skills. In your example, yes Dunban will still benefit from the linked skill even if Reyn is out of the active party. You can unlink skills at any time so don't be afraid to experiment, you'd get the coins back. Shulk and I think Reyn both have a bunch of skills that heal after a chain attack, or heal whenever you encourage a party member, so those are good ones to share. Skill links are part of why it's important to rotate the party regularly, people on the bench don't get affinity so if you leave them in there too long they end up with no friends and no skill links.
You should link everyone Reyn's heavy armour skill because heavy armour on everyone looks either amazing or amazingly dumb. When in doubt, give people stuff that boosts agility. Everyone loves to have more agility.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

So I picked up Animal Crossing in the Best Buy sale and I am shocked at how quickly it hooked me. I intended to start the game tonight and leave it until tomorrow to play it seriously, but instead of quitting after getting my town started I just spent 3 hours talking to folks, digging up fossils, and catching bugs. :stare:

Also I know I'm late to the party with this, but Isabelle is the best.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

isabelle is a friend to us all

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Abu Dave posted:

I had no offensive abilities other than "Attack" so :shrug:

Please tell me you were at least using Braves? They had that command shortcutted to the shoulder button for a reason.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean that's good and all but you kinda missed out on a big part of the game

Nah. I tried them all out, and enjoyed Shulk's playstyle the most.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is the Xenoblade game on 3DS just a port of the Wii game? And it's a jrpg in style of what? It sounds somewhat similar to Tales of Symphonia. It's really tempting but I have no time whatsoever for an rpg but still.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a port of the Wii game, yes, but it's nothing like a Tales game. The combat is more like FF12 minus gambits plus other gimmicks or an MMO.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It looks like seasoned salt on a moist canvas

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

There been any recent word on the regular-sized new3DS coming out in North America? The hinge (bottom inner shell on the right side) on my 3DSXL has been broken for a bit, and it finally just gave up and stopped holding the top screen to the bottom half.

If I have to bite the bullet and buy a n3DSxl I will, since I'm out of warranty and replacing the broken shell seems like hell and a half because the thing has a billion ribbon cables, but I kinda wanted the inbetween-xl-and-regular size of the n3DS and the faceplates seem fun.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
The graphics in Kirby Triple Deluxe are really ugly. Game feels very generic. Nintendo needs to go back to 2d sprite based games

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Zelda Triforce Heroes got a PAL release date, it'll be out October 23.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

African AIDS cum posted:

The graphics in Kirby Triple Deluxe are really ugly. Game feels very generic. Nintendo needs to go back to 2d sprite based games

You are not the next Taint Reaper please stop.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

having an opinion isn't a taint reaping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

African AIDS cum posted:

Triple Deluxe is one of the prettiest 3DS games and gameplay-wise it's the best Kirby game ever made