Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

busb posted:

Also amieba/bowmore if you have been to Via Napoli what did you think of their pizzas
Via Napoli sounds like generic italian restaurant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

bowmore posted:

what about if that episode of peep show happens and you accidentally makes friends with a nazi

A few years ago I was walking home from a softball game with a few friends. We walk by a bar and a woman there banged on the window, pointed at me, and gestured inside. I bid adieu to my friends and struck up a conversation. We chatted over jobs and sports and such, then headed over to another bar. I bought us a round and she leans in and says "Hey, you're not Spanish, are you?" I was a bit confused and said no. She then said "Good! Spanish man are creepy!" while I visibly reacted negatively. She then decided that she would double down, and slurred many more ethnic groups before sputtering out and going silent. We finished our beers in silence, and I excused myself saying it was awfully late.

It seems pretty easy to accidentally make friends with terrible people.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

bowmore posted:

It's consistently named in top 5 pizzerias in syd and is huge, I just don't particularly agree

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

bowmore posted:

Pretty much but it got voted best pizza in sydney 2013.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
thread i need your unconventional stomach ache cures

i ate the spiciest thing i can stand today and despite how delicious it always is it makes my stomach hurt

pepto isn't helping

help

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

i ate the spiciest thing i can stand today and despite how delicious it always is it makes my stomach hurt

pepto isn't helping

help

Weed

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Put a lime in coconut and drink them both down.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

that is indeed helping a little bit

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

that is indeed helping a little bit

Eat some yoghurt and drink some milk.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

EccoRaven posted:

quote this post with who among the main winnie the pooh cast you believe most exemplifies your personality and I will tell you what thing in my luggage you are.

I used to see myself as an Eeyore but now I don't know, probably Owl.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

TMMadman posted:

I say skip the two classes because, seriously, it's just Philosophy.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

or accept that we live in a politically diverse society and someone can believe silly or even dangerous things and still be an otherwise pleasant person and good friend.

meinberg you are my camera.

Or just sever. There are enough stupid people in the world, no sense letting them into your life.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Murmur Twin posted:

What I've found works is listening to the other person and giving them an honest chance to sell you on their opinions. Yeah, they probably won't change your mind, but if you make a genuine attempt to see where they're coming from / respect their point of view, they're more likely than not to do the same for you.

I can smell the bong smoke and hear the Phish in this post even from here. The peace and love is overpowering.

There are 7 billion people in this world, and life is too short to try to understand all of them. I'd be happy finding even 5 people to make a real connection with outside of family.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

People at the extremist of extreme ends of the political spectrum are generally going to be intolerable

Then again I made an acquaintance while training for Phlebotomy, and he's a really nice guy despite being a hard core Christian and right wing Obama bashing nutjob, so ymmv.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

CapitalistPig posted:

There's plenty of fantastic food at airports.
It's just at overpriced fancy restaurants.

First time I ever tried chili cheese fries was at Johnny Rockets at TF Green in Providence, they were loving awesome.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Asiina posted:

O'Hare is a terrible airport. Not the worst airport I've ever been to, but still awful.

The worst airport is Charles de Gaulle.

It collapsed a week after our HS Latin club got back from Italy (Boston -> Paris -> Rome) . Shouldn't have let the fatty walk around I guess.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Asiina posted:

Things that have happened when I was at Charles de Gaulle

- People spitting on the floor
- Information desk workers being rude as heck
- Some people came up to us demanding to sign a petition by thrusting a clipboard into my hands. They were then chased off by armed police/guards with their guns out and they pulled the clipboard out of my hand so fast it burnt my skin.
- A cashier shortchanging me.

Plus it has a very confusing and difficult to navigate series of terminals where getting from one end to the other is a huge pain.

TL;DR - French politeness

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

First time I ever tried chili cheese fries was at Johnny Rockets at TF Green in Providence, they were loving awesome.

Johnny Rockets is good.
I don't have any near me now and never at any airport I've been to.

I love getting a burger there with bacon cheese and a fried egg, a chocolate malt and fries.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Or just sever. There are enough stupid people in the world, no sense letting them into your life.

Your life gets a lot easier if you just roll with it sometimes.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

pepto isn't helping

help

A gallon of milk, then induce vomiting.

Alternatively, something spicier.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

Put a lime in coconut and drink them both down.

You're such a silly woman

Call me in the morning

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I want a salty snack right now what should I eat?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
salt

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Just tried it. Its not very filling.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
cheez its
bacon

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
(deez) nuts

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Have you guys listened to the podcast "Serial"?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Magnus Gallant posted:

Have you guys listened to the podcast "Serial"?

What's it about?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

What's it about?

A murder case from the late '90's

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Keane I want to join dodgeball but the league here only plays in the spring, make them smarten up

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Magnus Gallant posted:

A murder case from the late '90's

Oh? It's a real crime thing? Not particularly interested in those.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I really wanted to listen to that mags, everyone I knew that listened to it said it was great

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

With regard to pizza I tried New York once in my life and it was a horrifying experience never again

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 27, 2020

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You can sign up for "trusted traveler"/"NEXUS" online, there's probably a local office out by you

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 27, 2020

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

You still get to skip security lines and have relaxed guidelines through the x rays for domestics, I assume it would carry over to checked baggage

I usually travel light enough to just carry on so I suppose I can't say for sure

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Keane I want to join dodgeball but the league here only plays in the spring, make them smarten up

What's your major metropolitan center and what kind of balls are they using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asiina posted:

Things that have happened when I was at Charles de Gaulle

- People spitting on the floor
- Information desk workers being rude as heck
- Some people came up to us demanding to sign a petition by thrusting a clipboard into my hands. They were then chased off by armed police/guards with their guns out and they pulled the clipboard out of my hand so fast it burnt my skin.
- A cashier shortchanging me.

Plus it has a very confusing and difficult to navigate series of terminals where getting from one end to the other is a huge pain.

Yeah that's just France.
A crazy amount of people spit here. I never got into the habit of doing that. Service industry is known to be rude, it's almost a tourist attraction at this point, they're attitude generally means that you should be happy that they deign to talk to you. If you ever find a place with a good server you know it's worth going back to.
Clipboard people are generally Roma. While you sign their clipboard they try to pickpocket you. You see them a lot around the famous sites too. It's not my favorite scam personally. I think the most creative one is the 'lost ring' scam.
Don't know about the cashier though, that just seems like bad luck.

CDG's ok. It's easily accessible via the commuter train which is nice, but if the train is on strike, which it often is, very little effort is done to explain to people how to get to the airport when at Gare du Nord, the connecting station in Paris. The last couple times I've been to the airport I always end up helping loads of tourists since the staff themselves don't bother (see: bad service).

I know this a bit late, but it's a shame about your trip Lutr. I'd really chance it in regards to your exam but I mean that's if you think if you can pull it off. Maybe talk to your professor and explain some stuff and see if something can't be arranged? Professor's can be pretty cool about stuff like that at times.