Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anthonypants posted:

could stux be wrong, again, in the yospos microsoft thread, or is he only wrong half the time

sometimes he's right, usually by parroting my correct opinions

this time he's eschewed that strategy and thusly is wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

anthonypants posted:

could stux be wrong, again, in the yospos microsoft thread, or is he only wrong half the time

it is ocnfusing, but three red rings is a general error code for a number of faults. the specific fault which caused so many first gen 360s to display 3 red rings is a fault with the solder attaching the gpu to the motherboard. thush usly teh term rrod cna refer to both things

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
the dvd dirive is also a peice of poo poo but thats seperate to the main isisue

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the motherboard was completely bent out of shape. that's the design flaw.

if you put wings on a plane backwards and they were torn off during take-off you would be wrong to blame the bolts holding them on

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Stux posted:

the dvd dirive is also a peice of poo poo but thats seperate to the main isisue

the drive on the xbox one original was even worse. there were 3 drives they used and me being a launch day person got the worst one. it lasted a long time but when Halo 2 was released it stopped working with that particular game despite the disk working in other machines.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what is a word that implies new and popular

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

PleasureKevin posted:

if you put wings on a plane backwards and they were torn off during take-off you would be wrong to blame the bolts holding them on

nop, althoguh a lot got bent because people kept telling peopel to tighten the loving clamps up on back to fix it which woudl work for a bit but then fial again and ud probably gently caress the motherboard as wlel. if its a pre-hdmi model, like a xenon board exspecially, 9/10 it soging to be the gpu and if u reball it with leaded solder that'll usually fix it. anything later with hdmi on its going tobe one of the other fualts tho

PleasureKevin posted:

the drive on the xbox one original was even worse. there were 3 drives they used and me being a launch day person got the worst one. it lasted a long time but when Halo 2 was released it stopped working with that particular game despite the disk working in other machines.

yeah idk what they were doing with either. the early liteon models in the 360s seemed especially bad from the ones i fixed, idk why. at least tha tone is an easy fix, just drop in a new laser assembly.

most of the non-rrod errors ias w though were just loving disgustingly dusty and filthy inside and were clogging the stupid thing up and went back to nromal after a clean up.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
"why is my 360 as loud as a jet???? it didint used to be!!!"

bcos ur a filithy person please vacuum ur house.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
shut the gently caress up about consoles omfg

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pram posted:

apple

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Stux posted:

"why is my 360 as loud as a jet???? it didint used to be!!!"

bcos ur a filithy person please vacuum ur house.

why do you only post like this in this thread. it's horrible please stop

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Condiv posted:

why do you only post like this in this thread. it's horrible please stop

p sure that's just his gimmick m8

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wow, don't think i've seen a blue screen in years

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
That's why microsoft is cool again.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and lol what's it doing with that "error info"? sending a memory dump to the mothership or something?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

rjmccall posted:

all i give a poo poo about is instruction set design :shrug:

what do you think about risc-v

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Stux posted:

nop, althoguh a lot got bent because people kept telling peopel to tighten the loving clamps up on back to fix it which woudl work for a bit but then fial again and ud probably gently caress the motherboard as wlel. if its a pre-hdmi model, like a xenon board exspecially, 9/10 it soging to be the gpu and if u reball it with leaded solder that'll usually fix it. anything later with hdmi on its going tobe one of the other fualts tho

i don't know if you're unwilling to admit that microsoft made a terrible design flaw or if you just want to stick it to environmentalism and lead-free stuff. i thought the lead debate was over like in like the 70's.

of course if you re-apply the lead in that area it will seem to "fix" it. but it's like if a crack in a building appears in one specific location and you fill in the crack and conclude "oh i guess these particular bricks/cinder blocks were the problem" when clearly the foundation is crooked beneath it.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

and lol what's it doing with that "error info"? sending a memory dump to the mothership or something?

just creating the memory dump, you don't have any of the facilities to send network data (or really do much of anything at all) in the bsod handler. the sending happens when you reboot

the 'friendly' bsod is so lovely. at the point that your system has a catastrophic failure all hope of user friendliness has gone out the loving window. just show a reasonably specific error message and some error code(s) so that people can google that poo poo.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT? what the gently caress am i supposed to do with that? that's so generic that without looking at the dump you're not going to know what the gently caress happened.

that's why microsoft is cool again

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pram posted:

kids these days

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

no but those bolts were improperly galvanized and so can't be discounted as a contributing factorb!!!!!!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

white-knighting for lead itt

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PleasureKevin posted:

i don't know if you're unwilling to admit that microsoft made a terrible design flaw or if you just want to stick it to environmentalism and lead-free stuff. i thought the lead debate was over like in like the 70's.

they had lead mixed solder for a while, i think it only got banned in the US pretty recently (I remember using it in high school)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

wow, don't think i've seen a blue screen in years

Remember, this is from a loving graphics driver

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so quirky

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

KERNEL PANIC

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
code:
:(

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Oh Windows Feedback, stop popping up every time i'm switching windows

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

theultimo posted:

Oh Windows Feedback, stop popping up every time i'm switching windows

you can disable that fyi

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol at the very faint "window snip"

it still takes a screenshot during the menu fadeout transition

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

lol at the very faint "window snip"

it still takes a screenshot during the menu fadeout transition

lmao windows is such half baked poo poo. how is that possible when its been around for ages

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pram posted:

fresh

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

what do you think about risc-v

i keep hearing about this, but it's not something i've needed to know about, so i went and looked it up just so i could properly effortpost

okay. this architecture has a hoarding problem. it hoards encoding space. it's a 32-bit fixed-width encoding using three operands and 32 registers; it burns another two bits of that to support an optional 16-bit compressed encoding, but it doesn't predicate arbitrary instructions, so there's a full 15 bits left for the opcode. the core isa has, like, 40 instructions, treating immediate variants separately and including system instructions. even with some loss from the immediate forms (mostly 12+5+5, a few 20+5) and the future-proofing variable-length encodings, and throwing in the fp instructions, there is a ridiculous amount of unused opcode space

meanwhile it has no support for scaled indexing or any bit manipulations that don't correspond exactly to a binary operator in C (not even rotate). it doesn't even have compact instructions for saving and restoring registers on function entry/exit. so in typical risc fashion, it is a perfect set up for writing papers about the importance of optimizing the i-cache, because any non-trivial function will completely murder the chip with code size

also it has zero support for overflow detection, which is admittedly niche but really, really important within that niche

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Unfortunately, this caused confusion according to Microsoft as a significant number of users didn’t know which files were available offline and which weren’t, thus leading to problems in cases where an internet connection isn’t available.

omg, what if there was a little internet wifi icon....on the icon....to show that the file isn't local??? or maybe just grey it out or tint it or change the font color or whatever

the real reason is that someone prolly needed a bonus for streamlining wendows andcremoving stuff from 8 and nobody liked the onedrive group

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it did actually show an icon on the folder though, to you let you know it was online only

so they removed the feature for no real reason

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

uncurable mlady posted:

p sure that's just his gimmick m8

i think he's trying to show how little he cares

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

microsoft showed a graphic with all the games that will be backwards compatible one xbone

apparently it was full of duplicates so someone removed them

kudos for at least not showing any iOS app icons

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

also they say 100 games will be backwards compatible but that original graphic shows about 300 by my count

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
hundreds of old ways to waste another day

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

there's a halo 5 package called

Halo 5 Guardians Limited Collector’s Edition: Pink Mist Edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010