Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MJP posted:

It's not gonna be fun tomorrow when I fake a medical emergency and not be in for a few hours. Not the first time I've had to but last time I played that card was a few months ago.

As much as I want out I feel like I should be saving no-shows with emails of "wife had seizure" etc. for the real deal, especially given that I forced my boss' rescheduling of his own stuff, but I don't know how much of this is just residual interpersonal-interaction guilt or just inertia. I really don't feel good that I couldn't make this happen legitimately but there was no way they would let me have time off on the first morning of the new guy coming in.

Car accident or health crisis with my father? I need something that HR couldn't verify if they chose to, and if I say it's a medical emergency for my wife or me they could always ask the insurance if I have any claims. It's really stupid of me to try to preserve decorum but I'm still paranoid that they'll terminate me if they find out, despite how much it shoots them in the foot, doubly so now that I have a part-timer to train up.

Food poisoning, stomach bug/flu, or something like that usually works. I've used that excuse before without anyone saying anything.

Thanks Ants posted:

What the gently caress is a computer that still uses IDE doing outside of a beach in India getting picked apart by children?

I worked under contract for a hospital here in town about 4 years back...they were still using old, beat-to-poo poo, unreliable Dell Optiplex GX620 machines. During the time I was there the hospital was being taken over by another larger hospital, and they didn't yet have the budget to buy new equipment.

Every day at that place was a loving nightmare of things breaking and trying to cobble together enough working parts to make a FrankenDell. A week before my contract expired, they finally got a budget for IT to replace all the old PCs in the building (easily 200+) and sadly I found out my contract wouldn't be renewed or converted to permanent hire. I helped with as much as I could but that really had to suck for the people in IT at the time, we only had 5 people on the team so after I left it was up to 4 techs and the IT manager to replace all that outdated poo poo.

Same place still used old-rear end HP LaserJet 4/4M printers and the people who had them absolutely refused to give them up, even when they squealed, jammed, rattled, and eventually broke beyond repair. gently caress supporting old-rear end 10 or 15 year old bullshit hardware.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ilkhan posted:

"Then tell your co-workers to stop wasting my time.
Or at the very least, find out which one of them it is."

Most of our users don't have admin rights on their machines. One of the exceptions are the engineers working on our software. One them kept bugging me about win10 and asking we are updating their computer and jokingly said he was going to upgrade it himself.
Guess who doesn't have local admin anymore?

Let's be fair. 1) it's an engineer, they seldom play by the rules and 2) you kind of told him to do it even if you were joking.

Never joke with an engineer.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

(seriously CL is easy as gently caress to deal with and the 400 itself will hand hold you the whole way with prompts and help for every command).
This. OS/400 was designed as a turnkey be-all/end-all system for small-medium businesses with little or no IT staff. They're very simple to run and dirt reliable. I don't understand all the hate.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dirt reliable yes. Finding people who can program in it is getting exceedingly difficult.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Let's be fair. 1) it's an engineer, they seldom play by the rules and 2) you kind of told him to do it even if you were joking.

Never joke with an engineer.
no, *he* jokingly said he was going to do it himself.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Sounds promising at least. Might be worth it if you get to do something cool in a less stressful environment for a year or two and then can jump ship to something else. As far as the lawyer reviewing the offer letter, that may be going overboard I dont know. I've had bonuses written in to offer letters that basically just said "guaranteed %10 of salary bonus in year one with a minimum %5 thereafter" type deal. I think so long as you have it in writing you're good.

I don't trust anything in writing unless a lawyer says it's enforcable in both directions. I came on as a systems administrator, and I've been doing sysadmin + helpdesk. There's "other duties as assigned' and "a second full-time job." $5k in guaranteed salary, even if there's OT and a bonus on top of that, isn't much of a jump. I could theoretically be commanding $90k with a VCP.

The commute's longer with no traffic, and "no traffic" is rare on 287 in the mornings. I'd rather be doing a city commute for the same work if I can get it.

There's plusses, don't get me wrong. I'm not out to poo poo on the position, just that I'm going to fight for more compensation or guaranteed perks if they come to me with an offer, and get as much as I can out of it within reason before I start thinking seriously about it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GreenNight posted:

Dirt reliable yes. Finding people who can program in it is getting exceedingly difficult.

No, really, CL isn't a "programming" language. Think of CL programs like a windows batch file. It supports a few simple batch file like features like variables, parameters, and loops/labels, but it's fundamentally just plopping together the same commands you would type in on a normal command line one at a time.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

lampey posted:

Is there any difference in benefits between the two places. For 10k and exactly the same benefits and commute would not be enough for me to change to a position where I would be less happy, but I really appreciate where I work. It does sound like some of the upcoming project work would be interesting though. It is a good place to be in when you can choose without being forced one way or another.

The offer officially came in at a 12 grand raise, better health benefits, same hours but slightly further away.

I'll counter and see if I can't get 14 out of them but gently caress me I can't pass this job up.

Goodbye super fun relaxed environment with a bunch of people I genuinely enjoyed being around, time to go be a well-payed boring adult.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

An opportunity came in.

I met my new team lead, she found out I'm studying for a computer science degree. There is apparently an unannounced project coming up of some sort, and she is going to try to get me in a sort of mentored role on the project. I don't think she has spoken to the IT director yet, but she has spoken to the second in command, and she is on board. This is pretty much perfect, since I don't have any internships under my belt yet.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Election night is here. I'm using an excel sheet shared via OneDrive to allow multiple reporters to enter election data using their browsers on iPads.

I have planned for snafus.

I have multiple backup copies of each excel file. Pushing the data from the excel files requires manually moving the file between several servers, preventing accidental data pushes should someone severely screw up the sheets, somehow.

I have run multiple tests.

Reporters have done in-house testing and onsite testing on multiple occasions.

Everything is working just fine.

...Until we officially handed the reigns over to news personnel.

So far I've had three people who can't figure out how to log in to their email. One person said "Safari isn't letting me go to my email" and handed me an iPad opened to the Safari settings screen.

I had one person complain that he had no internet access, even though his WiFi hotspot is turned on. I asked to let me see it, "Oh, it's in my car. Why, do I have to be next to it?"

The webmaster needs access to the spreadsheets to push data to the website. He managed, somehow, to erase all share permissions.

At one point, all the spreadsheets corrupted themselves, but only when accessed via the browser.

We go live with this poo poo in less than an hour.

Murphy's Law is real.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:allears: Your job is amazing.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

We go live with this poo poo in less than an hour.

Murphy's Law is real.
Well I had plans tonight but instead I'm just going to be frantically :f5: for behind the scenes election coverage. What's the election, anyway?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
OR you could quit that shitbox job and move to Raleigh already.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Goodbye super fun relaxed environment with a bunch of people I genuinely enjoyed being around, time to go be a well-payed boring adult.

That's kinda me, only without the kick up in salary. My place is really chill, just... gah.

Grats on your new place, though!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
This just in: The director managed to design so many election graphics THERE AREN'T ANY INPUTS AVAILABLE FOR THE STUDIO CAMERAS.

HE JUST FIGURED THIS OUT JESUS CHRIST

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

This just in: The director managed to design so many election graphics THERE AREN'T ANY INPUTS AVAILABLE FOR THE STUDIO CAMERAS.

HE JUST FIGURED THIS OUT JESUS CHRIST

You don't need cameras just more graphics. Constant graphics all the time. Pie charts, growing bar graphs, numbers counting up to percentages, names drifting across the screen on tickers, perpetual news overload.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I almost don't believe your tales come from the same reality that I live in.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

larchesdanrew posted:

I had one person complain that he had no internet access, even though his WiFi hotspot is turned on. I asked to let me see it, "Oh, it's in my car. Why, do I have to be next to it?"

:psyboom:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I really want to know what channel to tune in on to see this masterpiece

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

I had a science teacher call and ask me to remote in to their laptop and fix the issue, once... while the laptop was turned off and sitting in their car in the parking lot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The most mundane ticket came in:

Hi [Ghostlight]
I see you have uploaded the awards to the china website

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So what do you do when in your job description it has 'other duties as assigned' and your higher ups use that excuse to give you another job without any more money?

I'm still in the aix/oracle (wtf how did that happen) role with no raise or even title change.

I mean, it is kinda interesting working on a aix box and IBM's HMC but without a real aix admin and/or oracle person here to ask questions to it's hard to learn things about them, especially when there isn't even a test box up to try things on.

edit: luckily its hardly used anymore and just for a couple things. I'm the only one that logs directly on it. If things are going well I have a lot of downtime so I decided to get my MCSA. Been studying for a couple weeks and think I'm ready for at least the first 2 tests.

Danith fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 5, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Danith posted:

So what do you do when in your job description it has 'other duties as assigned' and your higher ups use that excuse to give you another job without any more money?

I'm still in the aix/oracle (wtf how did that happen) role with no raise or even title change.

I mean, it is kinda interesting working on a aix box and IBM's HMC but without a real aix admin and/or oracle person here to ask questions to it's hard to learn things about them, especially when there isn't even a test box up to try things on.

edit: luckily its hardly used anymore and just for a couple things. I'm the only one that logs directly on it. If things are going well I have a lot of downtime so I decided to get my MCSA. Been studying for a couple weeks and think I'm ready for at least the first 2 tests.

you do like MJP did and ask for them to hire someone to do the second job. if they say no you ask for more pay and then find another job before you kill yourself.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

:downs: Larchesdanrew, this excel sheet isn't working.
:smith: What's it doing now?
:downs: When I click on a cell to edit it, it turns red and shows some email address.
:smith: What email address is it showing?
:downs: It's my email address
:smith: Well, it sounds like you have it open in another tab or on another computer and have that cell selected.
:downs: No I don't, and I went to another computer and it's doing the same thing.
:smith: Let me see... The email address it's showing isn't your email address, that's [webmaster]'s email address, he has that cell selected so you can't edit it until he chooses another or closes the file.
:downs: But I'm using MY email address.
:smith: I know, but he's got that cell selected, two people can't edit the same cell and it seems he's selected that one and stepped away from the computer. We'll just have to tell him to select another cell.
:downs: But how's he using MY email address??
:suicide:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
No seriously what station is this on, can we get it in the Triangle?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Sheep posted:

Golden triangle? Yes.

Everything is going perfectly.

I... Don't know how :ohdear:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sheep posted:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was a Fox News affiliate

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A customer once called us and proceeded to scream at me that the router we sold her was defective and that we didn't set it up properly and she couldn't get online and on and on.

She hadn't unpacked it from her suitcase.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ilkhan posted:

Most of our users don't have admin rights on their machines. One of the exceptions are the engineers working on our software. One them kept bugging me about win10 and asking when are we updating his computer and he jokingly said he was going to upgrade it himself.
Guess who doesn't have local admin anymore?

e: clarity

So, I don't touch servers except for very specific ones that are not corporate servers and I don't touch desktops (except my own).

My group has local admin access since we do use a lot of different tools and the requirement can change a bit depending on the customers and projects we're working on. Desktop Support simply gave us local admin with the understanding they'd support the OS, but not any non-corp apps. Everyone is cool (more or less). We're still subject to corporate patching and security requirements other than being able to install software.

Would I like Windows 10? Sure, why not? It runs well on my game PC at home and my workstation would be able to run it with ease.

Am I going to install it? gently caress no. It's one more thing to worry about, I don't have enough time in the day, and I don't need/want Desktop Support to second guess the trust they extended to our team.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 5, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Everything went off perfectly. Personally thanked by all management and anchors. Pulled aside and patted on the head by the GM. The station's very first flawless election coverage.

Feels good, man.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector_666 posted:

A customer once called us and proceeded to scream at me that the router we sold her was defective and that we didn't set it up properly and she couldn't get online and on and on.

She hadn't unpacked it from her suitcase.

All the jokes that people tell about dumb customers and "Wireless" Devices are real tickets that happen over and over again.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was a Fox News affiliate

If it is, please please please for your last action there, set it up so that this comes up onscreen whenever the most bigots tune in. You could even set it up a few weeks down the line (presumably) so nobody knows it was you until you're comfortable at the new job.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

larchesdanrew posted:

The station's very first flawless election coverage.

If that was flawless, :psyduck: at how it must have gone prior to this.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Ursine Asylum posted:

My thoughts exactly. When I was working at a TV station we'd have rehearsed and tested everything twice weeks before election day. Not to mention the whole "too much graphics"-issue. How does that even happen? Don't you run the graphics from one (or maybe two/three) injection servers and handle them as bundles? (I have no idea if it's called bundles in English.. the graphics you key over the clean feed). Those feeds should already be set up for your daily use. :psyduck:
Edit: Did you actually run out of space in your matrix and not realize it? That's hilarious.

Update from me:
Apparently people are incapable of nailing two boards together (literally) to secure a Cat5 cable running across a construction road from being crushed. IT is preparing to pull out entirely because even simple tasks as that can't be handled without our direct involvement, and there's a smackdown meeting about it at 13:00. Meanwhile I'm considering tossing in the towel and heading home to nurse a headache that just won't go away. :sigh:

Crowley fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 5, 2015

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Danith posted:

Yeah, basically you use it to pump up your CV, then circulate that amongst the pimps and see what attention it attracts you. Make sure you work on all that during office hours of course.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Take 4*200 mg Ibuprofen, it cures EVERYTHING! The thread needs to know what happens at that meeting.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

More crypto-woes.
Boss has been having hard words with mail filter company around their seeming inability to stop cryptowall attachments and being told "oh, but we protected you from this many threats this month alone..." crap and we've basically lost all confidence in them, so I've been going through every exchange server and manually blocking javascript attachments with transport rules (and all zip files not tagged with a special code for clients with exchange 2010).
This morning someone reported their files were encrypted.

It was a variation called teslacrypt, which was installed through a flash exploit on a website. Fortunately only one machine was hit, but I'm losing the will to live here.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

MiniFoo posted:

We have far too many clients that insist on this. Use the loving web interface!

Also, a computer came in. Overheating, probably needs a new CPU fan.

It might just be pretty dusty though, so let's open it up and -

:sassargh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141436143817?lpid=82&chn=ps

I'll leave this here.

http://www.amazon.com/TapeCase-Printed-Carton-Sealing-Lettering/dp/B00823GQFK

And this.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
*drat double post

Malek fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

The lead up to the actual coverage was absolutely disgusting, but once votes started coming in, it's like someone flipped a switch from "shitshow" to "pretty ok." There were only a few minor hiccups, like the guy I mentioned last year who thought his keyboard was possessed by demons not being able to operate an iPad. But otherwise, it all went really good once it got going.

Crowley posted:

Edit: Did you actually run out of space in your matrix and not realize it? That's hilarious.

Basically, everything we run is an outdated piece of poo poo. Election coverage for us consisted of doing three live shows with fullscreen graphics of election results, and then from 6:30 last night to noon today running rolling lower third squeezebacks on three channels that cycle through the results. On top of those, we also had a bunch of custom graphics and backgrounds (mostly with sponser info) that the powers that be were overly concerned with displaying all at the same time. We tested everything out fine previously, but come election night, the anchors managed to build a show containing a hell of a lot more fullscreens than they had originally told the director about, so he furiously got those built and loaded, only to find out that after all was said and done, the program controlling the show rundown was so overburdened that it couldn't accept any more graphics without failing. We had to route those graphics to other inputs on the switcher, but we didn't have enough. We had to hijack the inputs of our weather radar, an AppleTV, and two of our three cameras and do a single camera show.

It was bullshit, basically.

Update on my dumb life: Woke up to a slew of emails thanking me for my work. The president came by yesterday to go over budgets and of the things cut, my new computer upgrades were not among them, so I have that to look forward to until I can flee this fart of a career. I'm off today and going to take a well deserved nap with my new daughter. Toodles.

• Locked thread