Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It's me, I bought an iPod to play a single phone game

Let me guess.. Fallout Shelter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Brother got a new iPhone 6 from work but showed me two weird issues yesterday. First is the ringer not working on calls when silent, I checked the settings switches and they were fine, and it vibrated when putting it into silent so the motor works. Restarting didn't do anything, and he said he already reset the whole thing. I didn't check to see if there was a custom vibrate thing set but I doubt that was it.

The other is in calendar, when trying to add a location it didn't bring up anything. Like normally it acts like a search field for maps and gives suggestions (and current location option), but it wasn't bringing up squat. Maps itself worked, and everything seemed fine in the location and privacy settings.

The phone didn't appear to have a management profile, and the only account on there was Exchange (and not signed into anything else on the phone except maybe the App Store). He'll be taking it to the Apple Store but just seeing if anyone knows any solutions other than that.

-----------

Re game chat, Angry Birds 2 just came out and apparently it's really bad/obvious about wanting your money. So basically just the latest high profile poster child of what can be bad about mobile gaming, particularly in contrast to the first (and billion spin offs?). You take the good with the bad v:shobon:v

And if you still have a 3DS I suggest getting Boxboy! I think it's like $3, and it's quite awesome, if you like puzzles/platformers.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

What's probably caused me to start overlooking the fact that developers are going for the quantity-over-quality approach is that depending on the franchise, mobile app makers have adopted the type of marketing that keeps players on one single app, such as with consistent content updates, in-game events (basically special timers), collaboration events, merchandise, and other things not based on sheer play/replay value like console games in their heyday. When a game becomes a social niche rather than something to be appreciated for its own particular features, this happens.

It's me, I bought an iPod to play a single phone game
It's basically the same idea as content updates for a lot of stuff now (whether paid DLC or not), just keep people sucked into a game while continuing to attract new players by staying newish. There's usually also rewards to keep you checking in and stuff to make sure you don't leave it forever (hell the updates/events do the same thing), the whole Skinner box game design ideal I guess.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I don't think I'll ever honestly be able to say android is a better user experience than iOS. The capacitive buttons were annoying as poo poo, especially when playing games, the menus were always clunky, the interfaces were always a mess. I decided on iOS a month ago and am extremely happy. I've never owned an iOS product in all these years and figuring it out has been easy.

Honestly, I don't know what I waited for.
Yeah, I got a free LG 7" tablet on 4.4.2 KitKat and the Android experience garbage compared to my iPhone 6.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

japtor posted:

Brother got a new iPhone 6 from work but showed me two weird issues yesterday. First is the ringer not working on calls when silent, I checked the settings switches and they were fine, and it vibrated when putting it into silent so the motor works. Restarting didn't do anything, and he said he already reset the whole thing. I didn't check to see if there was a custom vibrate thing set but I doubt that was it.

The other is in calendar, when trying to add a location it didn't bring up anything. Like normally it acts like a search field for maps and gives suggestions (and current location option), but it wasn't bringing up squat. Maps itself worked, and everything seemed fine in the location and privacy settings.

The phone didn't appear to have a management profile, and the only account on there was Exchange (and not signed into anything else on the phone except maybe the App Store). He'll be taking it to the Apple Store but just seeing if anyone knows any solutions other than that.

-----------

Re game chat, Angry Birds 2 just came out and apparently it's really bad/obvious about wanting your money. So basically just the latest high profile poster child of what can be bad about mobile gaming, particularly in contrast to the first (and billion spin offs?). You take the good with the bad v:shobon:v

And if you still have a 3DS I suggest getting Boxboy! I think it's like $3, and it's quite awesome, if you like puzzles/platformers.

It's basically the same idea as content updates for a lot of stuff now (whether paid DLC or not), just keep people sucked into a game while continuing to attract new players by staying newish. There's usually also rewards to keep you checking in and stuff to make sure you don't leave it forever (hell the updates/events do the same thing), the whole Skinner box game design ideal I guess.

Check the sound settings for calls. You can definitely set it to ring without vibrate there.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kitten smoothie posted:

This is what annoys me, in terms of the ripple effects of the App Store having driven down the "acceptable" price of software. There's this idea that it has to be cheap just by virtue of being on a phone, regardless of the fact that the App Store has by no means reduced the costs inherent in making software. So now we see publishers burying those excess costs in IAPs.

The design/dev/QA effort in a high quality mobile game simply cannot be not 1/12 - 1/20 of the effort of a console game. Yeah it's probably less, but for a AAA mobile title I can't imagine it's THAT much less. Yet that is is about the spread between what people are willing to pay - $3-$5 on the App Store vs $60 for a PS4 game at GameStop.

So since the publishers still need to somehow make enough money to keep the lights on, we end up with these horrible gameplay models where you have to buy tokens or coins or smurfberries or w/e. Clearly when they design the gameplay and what the "pay gates" are, they have some model as to the average revenue they need to get from a customer before they beat the game or get bored. I wish they could get away with just charging that up-front, and make a game that doesn't suck.

I'm happy to pay for good apps, but so often now (to your concern as well) there is nothing but "buy coins or buy this" garbage in the app rather than a way to just pay for it outright. IAP sucks, period.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrBond posted:

Check the sound settings for calls. You can definitely set it to ring without vibrate there.
Yeah that was the first thing I checked, probably should've been a bit more specific than "settings switches" I guess. Anyway the related sound/ringer/vibrate settings all looked correct, it just didn't seem to work right for whatever reason.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'm happy to pay for good apps, but so often now (to your concern as well) there is nothing but "buy coins or buy this" garbage in the app rather than a way to just pay for it outright. IAP sucks, period.

I do like how Apple has been pushing a "pay once and play" category in the App Store. I wish they'd work that as a carrot/stick a little more with regards to promotions/featured apps, so that if you want to get top-billing on the store, then you should not be dicking people over on IAPs.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endless Mike posted:

I've been using the public beta and it's not even approaching a replacement for Google Now. So far the best thing I've noticed is that it will tell me on the lock screen how much long it will take me to get home and take me straight to Maps. Other than that, what they've shown there is about the best it does. I might need to use it more to train it better.

Ahh, that's a shame. I tried one of the public iOS 9 betas as well, but bugs scared me off after an hour or so. I didn't really check out the new Spotlight Search much, beyond swiping to it and saying "oh, there it is." Hopefully it learns as you go; I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be Apple's answer to Google Now, so I'm expecting a certain level of integration into GPS & web browsing history and the like. I have no idea if it's planned to have the cool extraneous Google Now features like remembering where you parked your car.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It did most of the map stuff in iOS 8, it was just in Today instead of your lock screen.

Really it just overall seems to be a little better at context apps in the left hand corner of the lock screen. But I find I unlock my phone so fast that I don't take advantage of it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Anyone actually warrantied an iPhone 6 for bending? Mine's lived in a case its whole life but I took it out today just to clean the case out and it's totally bent in the same place the iPhone 6+'s were bent. Screen popping out and all.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 3, 2015

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Disappointing Pie posted:

iOS Public Beta here and my battery life has been a bit rougher the last few days. It shows that Facebook Messenger is using 25% of my battery. I only maybe use that app twice a week and I've disabled it's background refresh ability and location to never and it's still eating battery. Any ideas?

I have the same problem, but with the main Facebook app. I have turned off background refresh, but I can still see that my actual usage and standby times in the Battery settings are the same unless I force quit. This doesn't happene every time, but definitely way too often.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

Yeah that was the first thing I checked, probably should've been a bit more specific than "settings switches" I guess. Anyway the related sound/ringer/vibrate settings all looked correct, it just didn't seem to work right for whatever reason.

Is the ringer volume turned all the way down?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

japtor posted:

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, you're not expecting a ringtone to play when the mute switch on the side of the phone is turned on right, because that kinda seems like what you're asking. Or do you mean it's not even vibrating when a call comes in and the mute switch is active?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

Anyone actually warrantied an iPhone 6 for bending? Mine's lived in a case its whole life but I took it out today just to clean the case out and it's totally bent in the same place the iPhone 6+'s were bent. Screen popping out and all.
Just take it in. Worse they can say is no.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

Is the ringer volume turned all the way down?
Ringer was, uh from what I remember seeing in settings, somewhere non zero iirc.

Variable_H posted:

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, you're not expecting a ringtone to play when the mute switch on the side of the phone is turned on right, because that kinda seems like what you're asking. Or do you mean it's not even vibrating when a call comes in and the mute switch is active?
The latter. Hit the mute switch, phone does its quick vibrate. Call the phone, call shows up without ringing (good) but also without vibrating (bad).

Now that I think about it I'm not sure I ever tested to see if it vibrated while not muted :doh: (in just trying to narrow down the issue). Whatever the case he's gone again, probably will have it taken care of by the store by the next time I see him.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey here's a question about the iOS 9 beta that I'm not sure is just a setting I need to flip somewhere, or a bug I need to report. It has the thing now when you have your headphones plugged in, it will suggest an app for you. Sometimes music, but sometimes it's doing Downcast. And even when I have music playing, sometime the swipe up controls for it aren't showing the current song, but Downcast, with nothing playing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yep, I've run into that (or similar). It's a bug. Report it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Is anyone elses iphone 6 just resetting all the time for no goddamn reason lately? It seems to happen most often if I'm playing youtube videos on lte.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LionYeti posted:

Is anyone elses iphone 6 just resetting all the time for no goddamn reason lately? It seems to happen most often if I'm playing youtube videos on lte.

This is a known iOS 8.x bug, it's not exclusive to the 6. Happened on my 5s a LOT on 8.3 and it's annoying as poo poo. Not as bad on 8.4 but I still occasionally get it.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
What do you mean by resetting? Mine dims the display itself quite often when it gets hot now, which never happened before.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

spongeworthy posted:

What do you mean by resetting? Mine dims the display itself quite often when it gets hot now, which never happened before.

Check and see if the auto-brightness setting was re-enabled - I had this turned off for years, but somehow it got turned back on again when I updated to 8.4.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
With the recent F2P chat, I thought this was relevant to the conversation.

Tl;dr: Konami had a huge success with an F2P game and as a result working there has become an orwellian nightmare

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Stutes posted:

Check and see if the auto-brightness setting was re-enabled - I had this turned off for years, but somehow it got turned back on again when I updated to 8.4.

It's off.. usually only happens with Snapchat stories.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Weird, my display dimmed too when I was watching the Microsoft conference at Gamescom this morning. Auto-brightness is off. I cranked it up all the way manually but all the way now is about as bright as I usually have it and I usually only have it up like 75% of the way or so.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

spongeworthy posted:

No it stops the apple logo appears and I have to re enter my passcode

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

LionYeti posted:

No it stops the apple logo appears and I have to re enter my passcode

It's the springboard crashing. My GF's 6 has been doing it quite a bit on every firmware she's put on it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
If it happens crazy often, like at least once a week, I would take it into an Apple Store genius appt call Apple Support. They will remotely run a diagnostic and determine if Springboard has crashed an inordinate number of times, and if your phone is within warranty, they will replace it.

Before doing that though, I would recommend a full wipe and a restore from backup.

I'm assuming your phone is unjailbroken. Jailbroken phones crash Springboard super often.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not 100% on this but I think if you have to enter your password (like it won't accept Touch ID) it was a restart rather than just springboard crash. Course I think the little message mentions it as much, something like "Touch ID requires password entry after restart".

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

yeah its an official restart

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How come I can't choose PayPal as a form of payment on my iPhone? I'm able to choose it on my desktop iTunes.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

LionYeti posted:

yeah its an official restart

If it's an all out restart instead of a crash you should take that in. Might be hardware starting to go bad.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MrBond posted:

If it's an all out restart instead of a crash you should take that in. Might be hardware starting to go bad.

Yeah luckily I'll be right near an apple store tomorrow

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What, how can I shuffle songs in the music app now? I can only find shuffling within an album, not the entire library. Also seems to have "lost" (I don't know, maybe they're somewhere) a lot of songs/albums in iTunes on the mac, but that's perhaps for another thread.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Xabi posted:

What, how can I shuffle songs in the music app now? I can only find shuffling within an album, not the entire library. Also seems to have "lost" (I don't know, maybe they're somewhere) a lot of songs/albums in iTunes on the mac, but that's perhaps for another thread.
...good question. Switching to the song view (where it just lists everything) and playing from there works I guess, or make a playlist with everything (easier for me since I sync my phone using a playlist). Or tell Siri to play all music.

Anyone with the iOS 9 beta know if seemingly missing stuff is back in a more obvious fashion?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Great update, Apple :bravo:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xabi posted:

My Music -> (Dropdown) Songs -> Pick one, then press the shuffle button on the player

Seems to be the only way.

japtor posted:

Anyone with the iOS 9 beta know if seemingly missing stuff is back in a more obvious fashion?
It's identical as far as I can tell, down to stopping playback when connection changes.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Has anyone ever had the "your iPhone has been disconnected" error while trying to restore from a backup?

I backed up my 5s because I had to get it replaced, but now it either bails out on the restore midway through because "the iPhone has been disconnected" or alternatively it just sits there ramping up the "time until complete" estimate. I left it going all night and it got to like, 836 hours.

I'm using Windows 8.1 (lol). Any thoughts?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rusty Staub posted:

Has anyone ever had the "your iPhone has been disconnected" error while trying to restore from a backup?

I backed up my 5s because I had to get it replaced, but now it either bails out on the restore midway through because "the iPhone has been disconnected" or alternatively it just sits there ramping up the "time until complete" estimate. I left it going all night and it got to like, 836 hours.

I'm using Windows 8.1 (lol). Any thoughts?

You could try restoring from iCloud instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Does anyone have experience with different CarPlay-enabled head units? I'm wondering how much the user experience varies across devices in different price ranges. Or if it's more the type of thing where, if the unit supports it, the CarPlay performance is basically the same. If the latter is the case, I'll only have to think about display size and touchscreen quality (I've noticed there are a couple of capacitive units out there).