Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
in what world does 72 out of a 100 indicate "bad album" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Defiant Sally posted:

It is actually so much better when you've read all the novels.

no don't

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

in what world does 72 out of a 100 indicate "bad album" ?

Usually just being reviewed by Metal Hammer is enough? :lol:

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Fenrir posted:

That's the only weakness of Enki really, it doesn't have Proscriptor and he may be my favorite drummer ever in metal.

e: Also, I have fallen completely in love with Caladan Brood.

e2: Obsequiae is really goddamn good too. I love you, metal thread.

That album IS amazing, Wild Autumn Wind is great too ( well, they all are really ). Lyrically Book of the Fallen is awesome and the first few seconds of clean vocals "Still we ride, fight and die" gives me chills, though the rest of the song I think is the weakest on the album. It is absolutely the perfect soundtrack to that series and makes me wish more and more Erikson was still writing it ( and that they'd made an RPG & Movie of it in the 80s ).

Not to turn this into Erikson chat but I read one Esselmont Crimson Guard book and haven't picked up another since, it was terrible. Not the writing so much as the content - it was like an everyman's perspective of all these ascendants and gods running around but posited in such a hamfisted way. Like how many times, in this world where the gods are constantly on the ground doing hosed up poo poo, can a character go "WOW, but how can they do THAT! they are so powerful! WOW I don't understand! WHOA!" - it was like 500 pages of that. How can you live in that world, be in the Crimson Guard with Caladan Brood and not be completely inured to (or at least not surprised by) all this hosed up poo poo happening constantly? It boggles my mind and was irritating to read.

If you like Caladan Brood musically you really should check out Gallowbraid ( one of the dudes in Caladan Brood ) that I posted above. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJZuC12xIMM ) It's an amazing piece of music and sent me on this retarded money spending journey where I just paid $40 for a CD because it doesn't exist anywhere else except for youtube. It's like Caladan Brood only with less keys.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

The Clit Avoider posted:

Usually just being reviewed by Metal Hammer is enough? :lol:

It's almost not funny because it's so true.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
this is pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ROkz4bAi-g

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
You should probably check out Nocturnal Witch and Division Speed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Kronos record is the most rifftacular thing I've heard all year.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Believe the hype, the new Cattle Decapitation album is great. Brutal, nasty, catchy and dramatic. Travis Ryan's new-ish melodic vocal style is in full force, and it adds diversity and emotion to every song.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Caladan Brood is OK. Maybe I'm just old and boring but whenever I listen to them about halfway through an album I usually quit and go listen to Summoning instead because while they are very similar bands I can't stand the really soft sound mastering on Caladan Broods stuff, I much prefer the crisp older black metal style that Summoning uses.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

gently caress YES.

https://www.facebook.com/kingdiamondofficial/photos/a.10150930083939008.523611.72821554007/10154052603194008/?type=1&theater

quote:

King Diamond announces "Abigail In Concert 2015" tour

Exodus confirmed as supporting band

King Diamond will be back on tour soon for an extra special event for fans - one not to be missed! As part of the set, the band will be performing the classic 1987 album Abigail in its entirety! The tour will begin on October 29th and runs through December 5th with legendary bay area thrash metal band Exodus as the opening act! The full list of confirmed dates is below. The general on sale for tickets begins Friday, August 7th at 10am ET.

KING DIAMOND
Tour w/ Exodus
10/29 Denver, CO The Fillmore
10/31 Salt Lake City, UT The Complex
11/02 San Francisco, CA The Warfield
11/05 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern
11/08 Tucson, AZ The Rialto Theatre
11/09 Las Vegas, NV House of Blues
11/13 San Antonio, TX The Aztec Theatre
11/15 New Orleans, LA The Civic Auditorium
11/16 Atlanta, GA The Tabernacle
11/21 New York, NY Best Buy Theatre
11/24 Boston, MA Orpheum
11/25 Philadelphia, PA The Fillmore
11/27 Chicago, IL Aragon Ballroom
11/28 Detroit, MI The Fillmore
11/30 Minneapolis, MN Myth
12/02 Tulsa, OK Club Brady
12/04 Houston, TX House of Blues
12/05 Dallas, TX House of Blues

Upon its release in November 2014, King Diamond's "Dreams of Horror" reached #28 on the Billboard Hard Music charts. This is the ONLY "best of" album covering the band's entire career. King Diamond and Andy La Rocque meticulously mastered and enhanced these 23 songs into the ultimate editions, chosen by the band from both the Roadrunner and Metal Blade catalogs. Listen to "The Puppet Master" from disc 2 of "Dreams of Horror" and order a copy now at metalblade.com/kingdiamond.

http://www.kingdiamondcoven.com
https://twitter.com/realkingdiamond
https://www.facebook.com/kingdiamondofficial
https://www.facebook.com/kingdiamondmercyfulfateofficial

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Could a god damned show come to NC please? :cry:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So tempted to take the road trip down to St.Paul for this. But its a) on a monday, so at least 2 days off b) our local promoter is apparently trying to bid him into coming to Winnipeg but unsure if i wanna risk waiting

Also c) thats right around when winter begins to hit, so possible icy roads but stilll... King loving Diamond playing a masterpiece for half the set and then whatever after.

Plus only $50 US!!

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Where are you finding ticket prices?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I looked up the Myth Live place in St.Paul and it led me to Ticketmaster: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06004EFCF9DEB5FC

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ah, looks like the NY date isn't on ticketmaster yet.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The drive down to Philly might be worth it, but I'll probably have to go back home for Thanksgiving the next day. :(

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
The Myth loving blows, but it's King Diamond.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

No Florida, cool thanks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I may have to plan my Thanksgiving around this.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

New Cattle Decapitation album streaming here.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Apparently the "heaviest" track on the new Ares Kingdom.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Pissgrave album is real cool.

The Clit Avoider posted:

Apparently the "heaviest" track on the new Ares Kingdom.

Good as expected.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A human heart posted:

That's some sick music, and even sicker cover art. Especially their cassette demo. Jesus christ.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
The Onion has opinions about metal: http://www.theonion.com/article/humanity-still-producing-new-art-though-megadeths--50983

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
True

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

goddamn this is good, heavy as hell

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

A human heart posted:

I liked these guys better when they were called Portal and the singer wore a cuckoo clock on his head. The cover neither provokes or offends. It's just gross.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I liked these guys better when they were called Portal and the singer wore a cuckoo clock on his head. The cover neither provokes or offends. It's just gross.

I think there's plenty of room for bands with this style without writing them all off as Portal clones. But I'm with you on the cover art.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Doesn't really sound like Portal to me at all. It's also garbage.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

This is loving great.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Oldstench posted:

It's also garbage.

That does pretty much describe Portal.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

I'm in love again

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

MrBling posted:

:vince:

X-postin' from the bm thread.

New Cultes des Ghoules EP is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fIgRyIynf4

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Oldstench posted:

Doesn't really sound like Portal to me at all. It's also garbage.
Yeah, these are regular death metal riffs with a little bit of Portal's sludgy "help, my ears are stuck in quicksand" production. The songwriting isn't even remotely similar.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oldstench posted:

It's also garbage.

Nah, it's really not. I mean, if this style isn't your cup of tea that's one thing, but for an album that's attempting to be just completely disgusting and vile and hellishly heavy, it's remarkably successful. Listening to this makes me feel like I'm crawling through Satan's poo poo-coated bowels. And sometimes that's exactly what I'm in the mood for.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

caiman posted:

Nah, it's really not. I mean, if this style isn't your cup of tea that's one thing, but for an album that's attempting to be just completely disgusting and vile and hellishly heavy, it's remarkably successful. Listening to this makes me feel like I'm crawling through Satan's poo poo-coated bowels. And sometimes that's exactly what I'm in the mood for.

Cool. But they also sound exactly like middle of the road (but broodal) Incantation (without Incantation's gift for creating instantly memorable riffs) buried beneath a level of dissonance that isn't nearly as interesting as several of the bands they're immediately going to be bracketed with (some of whom are already intensely boring).

They're basically the new Cannibal Corpse.

[edit] In fact, when I think about it, this has a lot in common with Ulver - absolutely (deliberately) terrible mastering and production. Much like what Ulver did with Nattens Madrigal. If they'd produced this cleanly it'd probably sound like early Kronos

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Apparently one of the guys from Maniac Butcher has passed away.