Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Vargatron posted:

Questions and stuff

Congrats on your new toys! To answer your questions:

There will be a small adjustment moving from players skates to (most) goalie skates, most goalie skates use a 4mm wide runner compared to players skates which use a 3mm wide runner. It does make a difference in terms of feel.

For your pads, it'll be a bit of a learning experience. My advice would be to put your skates on in your living room, lay the pads face down and do your toe ties up (leave a bit of slack in them, about 2" or so). Next, put your pads on their sides so they're in the butterfly and get into them. Working your way from the boot to the top, pull each strap until it is snug and then loosen off by a hole or two. What you should end up with is a pad that is comfortable and rotates properly. Once you've had a few sessions in them start to tweak a bit.

For the thigh guards, you will need to lace them in. If they didn't come with any lace, I recommend just getting some thin shoe/boot lace.

http://s56.photobucket.com/user/jcsavage_rs/media/DSCN0771.jpg.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I'm heading to Minneapolis for a few days next week, I won't be bringing my gear, but I would like to stop by a hockey shop or two. Is Stauber's the best one to visit or are there any other shops that I should consider?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I'm heading to Minneapolis for a few days next week, I won't be bringing my gear, but I would like to stop by a hockey shop or two. Is Stauber's the best one to visit or are there any other shops that I should consider?

Stauber's is good, sadly we've lost most of our non-chain hockey shops with goalie gear. Total hockey is pretty stocked up, theres a small shop in Fridley called Dave's Sport shop I grew up going to but they're pretty limited and their pricing isnt always the best.

What are you in town for?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Finally got all my gear.

I thought I was going to an open practice session, but it turned out it was a full pickup game. Probably the most fun I've had sucking at something in my whole life. To my credit, I did get some good stick save action in. Can't wait for this weekend!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Vargatron posted:

Finally got all my gear.

I thought I was going to an open practice session, but it turned out it was a full pickup game. Probably the most fun I've had sucking at something in my whole life. To my credit, I did get some good stick save action in. Can't wait for this weekend!

Nice, looks like you have some decent gear too. Welcome to the full right tendy club aka:glove shopping hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You're doing it wrong man, that net ain't regulation and you went out with skate guards on. Congrats on not falling on your rear end though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got the pads used for like $150, which was a super steal considering they were Vaughn V3 7500s. Glove was used and the blocker was on clearance. I think the only items I went new on were the helmet, pants and goalie cup.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Vargatron posted:

Finally got all my gear.

Poke checks are the most fun, especially passes made across/near the crease with that winger waiting to sink it only to have the puck miss their stick. Also fun is poking it when the breakaway player is trying to do one too many dekes and either loses the puck or shoots it straight into your stick deflecting it waaaaay over the net.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Stauber's is good, sadly we've lost most of our non-chain hockey shops with goalie gear. Total hockey is pretty stocked up, theres a small shop in Fridley called Dave's Sport shop I grew up going to but they're pretty limited and their pricing isnt always the best.

What are you in town for?

I just got out of a crazy work situation and I have a week off before my new job starts, so I wanted to get away from the craziness for a few days. I'll be there from Thursday - Saturday. On Thursday, I'm heading down to Mankato for training camp, I'll be running around Minneapolis and going to the Twins game on Friday, and then I'm going to visit some family near Aitkin on Saturday. The good thing is that I got a much better job, so I should be able to go back to Minnesota more frequently now. I'll be staying in Maple Grove.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 11, 2015

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Welp think I'm going to start piece meal upgrading most of my equipment since I'm starting to take stingers even from some pretty low level players. First order of business was to get a new C/A, just ordered a new CCM Premier since there are no more Reebok stuff. Looks like it'll be more adjustable in the arms which I sorely need since right now my Vaughn one has always had arms that were a bit too long for me.

I also like that it looks like it's a pretty long C/A since I like to tuck mine into my pants so hopefully that'll prevent the whole bunching up when it comes out of the tuck if I happen to go down to make a diving save.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I just got out of a crazy work situation and I have a week off before my new job starts, so I wanted to get away from the craziness for a few days. I'll be there from Thursday - Saturday. On Thursday, I'm heading down to Mankato for training camp, I'll be running around Minneapolis and going to the Twins game on Friday, and then I'm going to visit some family near Aitkin on Saturday. The good thing is that I got a much better job, so I should be able to go back to Minnesota more frequently now. I'll be staying in Maple Grove.

I actually ended up at Staubers this weekend too, got a new cateye since I was refurbishing my mask. Did you see the new Vaughn skates there? They actually look pretty decent, like a mix between a graph and a ccm.

Bought the Maltese foam, curious how its going to feel once I'm on the ice. I think the breathability will be really nice since I sweat a disgusting amount.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

titanium posted:

I actually ended up at Staubers this weekend too, got a new cateye since I was refurbishing my mask. Did you see the new Vaughn skates there? They actually look pretty decent, like a mix between a graph and a ccm.

Bought the Maltese foam, curious how its going to feel once I'm on the ice. I think the breathability will be really nice since I sweat a disgusting amount.

What's your ching sling/cup/thing? I hate my chin cup, itchy and sweaty!

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
New city means finding new ice times to play.

Any Ann Arbor based goons that can give tips on finding some beyond what google can tell me?

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Wooty posted:

What's your ching sling/cup/thing? I hate my chin cup, itchy and sweaty!

I just cut apart the existing chin cup and left the strap. Maltese has some chin system that looks okay but I have a lot of jaw issues from TMJ disorder and I know this doesnt bother me. At some point someone might crash the net and make me regret it but till then this has worked well for me.

Side note I saw this posting on local craigslist and it looks like a hell of a deal if anyones in the market.

Full Warrior G2 pad/glove set (regular hand) 34+1.5" pads for $1000/$1050 shipped.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/spo/5123311298.html

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

I ended up not being able to make it to Staubers this trip, but I should be back out there again in the next couple months and will definitely make sure to go then. I've seen some Vaughn skates before, but I haven't seen the latest ones. If they fit anywhere near Graf's, then they could be a really nice skate.

I am extremely happy with the Maltese foam in my mask. It improved the airflow through my mask a lot, it decreased the weight of the mask, and more importantly, I feel that it improved the fit and protectiveness of the mask. The fit will obviously depend on the installation, but it does seem like the gel does a much better job of dissipating energy than standard foam does. I highly recommend that everyone use Maltese gel or similar products in their mask.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Funkutron5000 posted:

New city means finding new ice times to play.

Any Ann Arbor based goons that can give tips on finding some beyond what google can tell me?

Best I've heard is the A²Ice³ league is one of the biggest in the midwest according to USAH.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

I ended up not being able to make it to Staubers this trip, but I should be back out there again in the next couple months and will definitely make sure to go then. I've seen some Vaughn skates before, but I haven't seen the latest ones. If they fit anywhere near Graf's, then they could be a really nice skate.

I am extremely happy with the Maltese foam in my mask. It improved the airflow through my mask a lot, it decreased the weight of the mask, and more importantly, I feel that it improved the fit and protectiveness of the mask. The fit will obviously depend on the installation, but it does seem like the gel does a much better job of dissipating energy than standard foam does. I highly recommend that everyone use Maltese gel or similar products in their mask.

Used it last night, and it felt pretty good. Using contact cement is 100% required in some spots but others it didn't seem to matter. I added 2 dots after that photo was taken around the front of the head and it felt a little more comfortable. I really wish they made a full backplate piece cause I feel thats thicker than the provided foam + buildup layer. I had significantly less sweat in my eyes and actually felt a breeze on my head if I skated around a bit. The foam does seem to take impact better than standard foam, I feel that it compresses more before transferring energy to your head. I think i still have some adjusting to do and might use a dremel tool to smooth out some parts but I'm pretty happy so far.

Vid of my first skate with it and the new cage. Not the fastest pace but its something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BfvjB4Ij-w

titanium fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 18, 2015

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

titanium posted:

I just cut apart the existing chin cup and left the strap. Maltese has some chin system that looks okay but I have a lot of jaw issues from TMJ disorder and I know this doesnt bother me. At some point someone might crash the net and make me regret it but till then this has worked well for me.

Side note I saw this posting on local craigslist and it looks like a hell of a deal if anyones in the market.

Full Warrior G2 pad/glove set (regular hand) 34+1.5" pads for $1000/$1050 shipped.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/spo/5123311298.html

can you put up a photo of your chin area? you don't have anything there? interesting..

Sweat is a major problem for me when I play too, old, fat and a medical condition make me a sliding irrigation/drip hose.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I emergency subbed in C2, the lowest league available in Austin.

It was boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxy_kG6yr9k

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Bootcha posted:

It was boring.

Looks like the level I play in but my games feel much more out of control and scrambling.

They do get boring.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bootcha posted:

It was boring.

why not work on fundamentals and poo poo rather than just stand around

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

why not work on fundamentals and poo poo rather than just stand around

Honestly, it was a test game to see if I could tolerate the low level play if the girlfriend takes the leap and plays in C2 rather than doing LTP for another 6-12 months. I suppose I could have worked on my butterfly pushes, but I didn't have a training plan in my head going in to do while the game played in front of me.

I'll just say I was practicing standing around.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Picked up a second team for the fall. Along with my current team where I'm seeing the most shots per game (besides the absolutely godawful last place team), this team apparently isn't great, but a tier above the team I'm on now. Sounds like I'll be getting plenty of work twice a week!

Oh, and interesting note, the whole drama/getting kicked off the team I formed last year...after having 3 straight of the worst seasons the team has ever had, they've inexplicably decided to move up a division. Should be interesting to see.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Picked up a second team for the fall. Along with my current team where I'm seeing the most shots per game (besides the absolutely godawful last place team), this team apparently isn't great, but a tier above the team I'm on now. Sounds like I'll be getting plenty of work twice a week!

Oh, and interesting note, the whole drama/getting kicked off the team I formed last year...after having 3 straight of the worst seasons the team has ever had, they've inexplicably decided to move up a division. Should be interesting to see.

What kind of shot differential are you looking at? Even the best goalie can't stop 50+ shots a game...

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

My current team I think I finished at like 38-39 shots a game or something. Even with a fairly decent save percentage, I was giving up 4 and change or so goals a game. Problem was, in about half, I kept it under 3, and the other half, I was giving up a ton more, all towards the end of the season when we'd be lucky to be skating with 10.

On a side note...has anyone washed thier C/A in the washing machine? I was thinking about trying it.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Just stick it in the bath with some light detergent and scrub it with a fine scrubbing brush.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Zip! posted:

Just stick it in the bath with some light detergent and scrub it with a fine scrubbing brush.

Yeah but I don't wanna scrub

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Zip! posted:

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Yeah but I don't wanna scrub

Then

Zip! posted:

Just stick it in the bath with some light detergent

:)

If you got all the straps gathered I guess you could put it in a washing machine.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So the upper league team I subbed for awhile back finally put out the GoPro, which had me twice at that end. Couple of good breakaway saves. The 2 corner snipe goals they got on me were in the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtnIFqEy55k

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
What is the difference between Knee stacks, knee lifts and knee blocks?

I have started suffering more groin discomfort and aching so I am exploring some things to make it a bit easier on me. Any ideas beyond stretching?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Goddamnit, http://pointstreak.com/players/players-boxscore.html?gameid=2720119 wasn't how I wanted our championship run to end.

Their game-tying goal came last in the 3rd off a faceoff our team lost, they got a shot off that I didn't fully see but I made the save. However I was moving left to right and my momentum was such that I caught the puck under my left pad but I lifted up my leg in an attempt to make sure I didn't keep moving right. In doing so I let a guy on my loving doorstep just poke the puck in.

Then of course the shootout went 12 goddamned rounds and I let in a lovely shot from their best player that I should've seen coming. To be fair they should've won when they had their #69 take a shootout shot that had me beat but somehow I pulled a Tuuka Rask and managed to get my paddle out to make the save.

I'm also throughly in love with my new Warrior C/A, catcher and blocker. After order 2 other C/A's and dry-fitting them in my living room the Warrior Ritual G2 felt great today, I just need to get some of the elbow stuff tightened up and figure out how I'm going to tie it to my pants but otherwise it felt amazing. Their catcher and blocker were great too, so now I can't wait to use them more and more since my old Vaughns weren't protecting me at all anymore.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Wooty posted:

What is the difference between Knee stacks, knee lifts and knee blocks?

I have started suffering more groin discomfort and aching so I am exploring some things to make it a bit easier on me. Any ideas beyond stretching?

Those are all three the same thing, I believe. You'll also hear it called "landing gear" or "landing pads," or something like that.
For your groin, the best you can do is routinely stretch daily. Maria Mountain is the thread's go-to for stretching exercises.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I ended up with 2 weeks off with no skating or tending and when I played pick up last night I was very sore and very stiff. It has been super humid here and the ice was poo poo too.

I stopped taking an anti depressant and realized it had pain killing properties because I became locked up with muscle soreness, tightness, and joint aching.

Back to my yoga and back to the meds :)

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So one of my buddies had a go pro up while we were fooling around at a late night stick'n'puck, and I managed to do this:

http://i.imgur.com/PPrwu2x.gifv

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bootcha posted:

So one of my buddies had a go pro up while we were fooling around at a late night stick'n'puck, and I managed to do this:

http://i.imgur.com/PPrwu2x.gifv

Nice series of saves. It feels great when you can move back and forth across the crease and keep making plays.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Just updated my home insurance to specifically cover my goalie gear should the worst happen. Totting up the value of everything and I... I've spent way too much* on goalie gear over the last few years.

In other news, I managed to pick up a couple of NXG sticks in a Black Friday sale which should get here tomorrow so yay! I've never used them before so not sure what to expect, but good times indeed.

*I regret nothing.

E: Probably a silly and obvious question, however: CCM Premier Pants Large vs XL - is there a difference in the physical width of the pants themselves or is it just the internals that differ (similar to the Warrior Rituals)?

Coming round to upgrading my pants and since they have an internal belt and kinetic straps, was considering getting XLs for the extra blocking surface.

Zip! fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 1, 2015

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I have something I want to offer up to the collective first before I put it on eBay or GSBB.

A while ago I ordered a paid of Bauer Elite pants in large and used them for a while, they were good pants but I recently upgraded to a pair of Warrior pants to go with some more upgrades. They've been used once a week for a year or two and are in pretty good shape. The only thing that's got some wear and tear are the bottom hems after rubbing against some velcro.

Anyone want them for basically shipping costs? I don't want to throw them away and also don't want them to take up space in my house.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Welp it finally happened, felt my knee pop when I went down awkwardly today.

Hadn't been doing anything all game, they got one shot on me and as a guy was getting ready to take another shot I started to go down because I could tell it was going to be along the ice. It got deflected and halfway through my drive downwards I tried to stop and stand up. Well something happened with my blade or something because I instead fell awkwardly to the ice and felt something pop in my knee.

Didn't feel any crazy immediate pain but I was really loving freaked out. Stayed down until they blew the whistle and took a few minutes getting up. I thought something was going to feel terrible as I stood up but it didn't. Nothing hurt immediately, tried to skate and things felt ok. I then gave a gingerly attempt at going into the butterfly. It was in some pain, but nothing that felt over the top or anything like that.

Decided to not risk it and skated to the bench. Thankfully we've got an orthopedic surgeon on our team so he took some time while the captains were deciding what to do and examined my knee briefly. He had me move it around in various ways and put some pressure on it in opposite spots and nothing really hurt. He said it felt like my ACL was still intact and connected and that I might've just popped it out of place briefly and now it was sore. He also said normally if it's an ACL tear the knee swells up like a balloon almost instantly and that hadn't happened.

Still didn't feel good and I decided I wasn't going to risk playing at all so I left, got undressed and went home.

I've been home for a few hours now and it still feels not good if I move in certain ways so I'm probably going to try to get it looked at tomorrow and hope for the best.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

real_scud posted:

Welp it finally happened, felt my knee pop when I went down awkwardly today.

Hadn't been doing anything all game, they got one shot on me and as a guy was getting ready to take another shot I started to go down because I could tell it was going to be along the ice. It got deflected and halfway through my drive downwards I tried to stop and stand up. Well something happened with my blade or something because I instead fell awkwardly to the ice and felt something pop in my knee.

Didn't feel any crazy immediate pain but I was really loving freaked out. Stayed down until they blew the whistle and took a few minutes getting up. I thought something was going to feel terrible as I stood up but it didn't. Nothing hurt immediately, tried to skate and things felt ok. I then gave a gingerly attempt at going into the butterfly. It was in some pain, but nothing that felt over the top or anything like that.

Decided to not risk it and skated to the bench. Thankfully we've got an orthopedic surgeon on our team so he took some time while the captains were deciding what to do and examined my knee briefly. He had me move it around in various ways and put some pressure on it in opposite spots and nothing really hurt. He said it felt like my ACL was still intact and connected and that I might've just popped it out of place briefly and now it was sore. He also said normally if it's an ACL tear the knee swells up like a balloon almost instantly and that hadn't happened.

Still didn't feel good and I decided I wasn't going to risk playing at all so I left, got undressed and went home.

I've been home for a few hours now and it still feels not good if I move in certain ways so I'm probably going to try to get it looked at tomorrow and hope for the best.

That's scary, but it was a good decision to pull yourself out of the game and not make things worse. It was also nice that you had an orthopedist on the team that could do a preliminary examination. Your best bet is to get into an orthopedist tomorrow, they'll likely do an X-ray and then order an MRI depending on the physical examination. Hopefully you dodged a bullet, but it is good that you are being cautious. It's way too easy to be stubborn and try to keep playing, but it is better to miss one game and be safe than press your luck and miss a couple months.

I haven't been skating much recently. Hopefully, that will change soon, but I've been busy with my new job and tennis is keeping me active for now. I enjoy it, but it's definitely not the same as playing net. Though at least I am under a lot less stress now and don't need to depend on hockey as a release like I did before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Good news everyone!

Saw a Dr. today and he thinks I did a partial MCL tear but nothing terrible. Gave me some pain meds just in case and told me to wear a knee brace for 5-6 weeks and to not play for that long.

Glad my teammate was right and also that I won't require any surgery.

• Locked thread