Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Great to hear the Mart Van Dongen diary again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Tornhelm posted:

Not a new episode but the Best/worst of FIFA isn't a bad compromise.

"What have my people done wrong to escape this imbecile's scattergun shitheadery?"

The rerun was worth it just to bring that line to light again. :laugh:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tornhelm posted:

And that they called the Qatar win.

When did it go from being "kah-TAR" to "cutter"? I've even been hearing that from non-Britishers.

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

Tornhelm posted:

Not a new episode but the Best/worst of FIFA isn't a bad compromise.

This episode was worth it just to hear "Turbo dick" again. God, I love that insult for some reason.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
This may have been linked here before, but if anyone needs something to kill the last two hours of a Friday at work then why not have a nostalgic fun pun run compilation:

https://soundcloud.com/grahambingham/pun-fun-with-the-bugle

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

So, Google is failing me - can someone clarify the "B-Bulls and R-Bulls" pun? I was looking for lists of West End musicals and can't figure that one out.

Also, Andy cheering wildly at finding someone who knew him but not John was hilarious.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

ClydeUmney posted:

So, Google is failing me - can someone clarify the "B-Bulls and R-Bulls" pun? I was looking for lists of West End musicals and can't figure that one out.

Also, Andy cheering wildly at finding someone who knew him but not John was hilarious.

Isn't it something along the lines of: listing all the bulls from A-R. The A-Bulls are great but all the rest are injured. In fact, her B-Bulls are as lame as 'er R-Bulls. Stunning

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ClydeUmney posted:

Her B-bulls are as Les Miserables

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Ah - thanks, guys. Just misheard it.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Take it as a sign of your mental health that you didn't understand one of Andy's puns immediately.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Zaltzman fans may want to know that 7 Day Saturday is back on BBC Radio 5 Live

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b02lwy59

Podcast is available

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

thehustler posted:

Podcast is available

I can never have enough bullshit in my life. Thanks!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

thehustler posted:

Podcast is available

My favorite incarnation of the show had three hosts: Chris Addison, Sarah Millican, and Andy Zaltzman, with one rotating guest per week.

But we still get ANDY ZALTZMAN'S 90 SECONDS OF SPORT!*

* - may be more than 90 seconds

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The site just got a big redesign.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

The site just got a big redesign.

For those curious, it's the same "slipstream" design that roughly 90% of the world's cobbled together startup websites are now using. Though it does have a cool photo of Andy and John presumably recording in Andy's kitchen.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jet Jaguar posted:

My favorite incarnation of the show had three hosts: Chris Addison, Sarah Millican, and Andy Zaltzman, with one rotating guest per week.

But we still get ANDY ZALTZMAN'S 90 SECONDS OF SPORT!*

* - may be more than 90 seconds

Agreed, as much as I like Al Murray, Addison was way better. And Millican is always gold.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

This thread seems like it's dead a lot these days (like the podcast :smith:), but I thought I'd mention that last night's Nightly Show featured a segment with a bully that I'm almost positive was played by Rory Albanese, basically playing The American.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

ClydeUmney posted:

This thread seems like it's dead a lot these days (like the podcast :smith:), but I thought I'd mention that last night's Nightly Show featured a segment with a bully that I'm almost positive was played by Rory Albanese, basically playing The American.

I thoroughly enjoyed that. I always found The American so incredibly funny on the podcast.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It's quiet because there's no Bugle. Where's my loving Bugle Chris? gently caress you Chris.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I blame John Oliver and his success. If only he didn't become so successful, having his own show with free creative rein after working hard for several years in a different country. gently caress you, John, where's my entertainment?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

ClydeUmney posted:

Hooray, a not-quite-The-American! I do hope jet skis were involved.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

Hooray, a not-quite-The-American! I do hope jet skis were involved.

DOUBLE DOWWWWWWWN

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

kalensc posted:

DOUBLE DOWWWWWWWN

G'DING!

Can I also, can I also just say real quickG'DING!

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
So, we have a format change. The Bugle is now a monthly show.

If it means we can get back to getting full length episodes on a more regular basis, I'm good with that.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
It was already monthly anyway, I'm just glad it's not cancelled.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Basically the schedule is 1 Bugle, 2 Satirist for Hire shows and whatever additional bits Andy feels like doing. I'm cool with getting more Satirist for Hire stuff.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

njsykora posted:

Basically the schedule is 1 Bugle, 2 Satirist for Hire shows and whatever additional bits Andy feels like doing. I'm cool with getting more Satirist for Hire stuff.

Me too. I think the Satirist for Hire material is Andy's best thing going. I've always been a little tepid on Andy's material at times during the Bugle, but there is something about the Satirist for Hire material that is much stronger.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I think it's the audience and the way Andy interacts with them. There he seems sort of like a 'wacky teacher' instead of the loopy friend persona he had with John. Also the 'audience' is more varied than John, for obvious reasons.

Though I still think Andy's best bits is in 7 Day Saturday/Sunday. Lamb bikini clown 'tache.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
John's new show isn't as good as the Bugle. :sigh:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It really is.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

John seems more himself on the Bugle, which is very entertaining, but LWT produces more substantive and informative content.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Scorchy posted:

It was already monthly anyway, I'm just glad it's not cancelled.

Agreeing with this sentiment. I want more Bugle, but Last Week Tonight is great, and it's great that John's having success with it, so I can't complain very hard.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

UP AND ADAM posted:

John's new show isn't as good as the Bugle. :sigh:

Apoplexy posted:

It really is.

It doesn't have that...classical knowledge. It doesn't have that rush of jokes after jokes after jokes that takes several listens to understand. It is absent in Oliver reeling from a bad play on words. It needs that overlong set-up for a lame pun or a lame punchline that you think you can see a mile away but then refuses to see because come on it's so obvious but then oh god he's doing it ahaha

It lacks that certain...je ne Z quoi.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Why isn't Andy at least a columnist on LWT? Maybe a pun-focused Jack Handy or something.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Because he's in England and also very unpopular.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
On UK-related news, John should call his trusty cricket-loving classically-educated Senior English Correspondent.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Naylenas posted:

John seems more himself on the Bugle, which is very entertaining, but LWT produces more substantive and informative content.

This is just not true he has said nothing about Roof Penises yet.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I will never again be able to think of Les Mis without groaning at "Her B bulls are as lame as her R bulls".

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Poopy Palpy posted:

I will never again be able to think of Les Mis without grinning at "Her B bulls are as lame as her R bulls".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Rory Albanese was on the most recent episode of Harmontown. He drank some fan-made absinthe and hoo boy, basically turned into The American.

• Locked thread