Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Hremsfeld posted:

This is not a pipe
The Treachery of Forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, obviously

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
wonder what his version of Psychopomp Reality looked like

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Hold up, living with the man who killed her mother? Is that implying that the person who impregnated Surma was NOT Anthony?

Fake edit: oh wait nvm now I get it, this is his excuse for not being there.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Tony Carver, the real hero of the comic.

:patriot:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Wait, what? How little does Tony know about etheric science? You'd think it would be handy to know about, considering he married the Court's half-elemental medium.

Does... does he even know what a blinker stone is? (Part of me wants this to be the Gunnerkrigg Court version of the three seashells joke)

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Tupperwarez posted:

Wait, what? How little does Tony know about etheric science? You'd think it would be handy to know about, considering he married the Court's half-elemental medium.

Does... does he even know what a blinker stone is? (Part of me wants this to be the Gunnerkrigg Court version of the three seashells joke)

I think he'd be like Kat. Knows it exists, but can't use it himself because he's too grounded in the scientific mindset.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

T-Star a relentless hero, no doubt he'll jolly well set these guides straight.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Tupperwarez posted:

I'm going to imagine he learned a bit more after going after the stewards of death.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

They're surprisingly easy to find, too :suicide:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wait, Surma was letting Annie hang out with psychopomps in the hospital before she died. Did Anthony not know about that? Come to think of it, where was he when Surma passed on and Annie had to take her to the ether? You'd think that he'd have met one of them at some point, or would've thought to ask his wife about them, or maybe asked his daughter about them or something.

For such a scientific mind, he seems very clueless about gathering all the facts before launching himself into things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"I went to find them."

*Donald stares blankly at him for a minute, walks outside, gets an ant, squishes it, and points sideways*

"And what about the other 8 years?"

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The juxtaposition of Tony's well-detailed face and Donny's blob head has really been throwing me off.

I imagine it's intentional to show a difference between the two, but still.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 5, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

"I went to find them."

*Donald stares blankly at him for a minute, walks outside, gets an ant, squishes it, and points sideways*

Anthony is too noble a soul to crush even an ant for his purposes!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, there you go: the answer's been under his nose the whole time! Bet him and Annie are going to have a good laugh about this together later on!

only joking, this is going to be cue for another series of enormous misunderstandings, isn't it

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Pistol_Pete posted:

only joking, this is going to be cue for another series of enormous misunderstandings, isn't it
Only on the part of readers posting here.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bell_ posted:

Only on the part of readers posting here.

"So the latest panel's suggesting that Tony and Annie are going to team up together and fight crime Kick-rear end style, right?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If people don't see the Tony Christ/Superman imagery idk what to tell them

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm starting to wonder if Anthony had no idea that his experiments were even affecting his daughter in Divine. That maybe he was just trying to track Surma's fire spirit.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Ok so anthony is literally gendo now.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Anthony had no idea that his experiments were even affecting his daughter in Divine. That maybe he was just trying to track Surma's fire spirit.

That's the feeling I'm getting. Tony goes to the psychopomps only to discover that Surma's soul is totally still in the land of the living, just waiting to get collected only whoops sorta belongs to Annie now. His etheric bone scalpels were working fine until some weird half-and-half goth version of his daughter up and punches him in the face.

Hm. Bone scalpels. I wonder if he lost his hand before he tried to do the etheric surgery. Maybe he needed to cut off his hand and use his own bones to even try all that junk. Man, that'd be super sad. That would be just super awful for EVERYBODY involved.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Hm. Bone scalpels. I wonder if he lost his hand before he tried to do the etheric surgery. Maybe he needed to cut off his hand and use his own bones to even try all that junk. Man, that'd be super sad. That would be just super awful for EVERYBODY involved.
He tried to implant Adam's essence into it and the clone of Surma he made rejected him, opting to create a future for Annie instead. He didn't need the reminder.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ya'll gonna look silly when my main babe Tony turns out to be innocent of bone surgery or at least turns out to have been trying to save Annie.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

at least turns out to have been trying to save Annie.
Anyone else trying to do what it seemed like he was doing without the first hint of a clue would be called negligent.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Tony can have all the good intentions and heartbreak in the world but he's still been a complete and utter dick to his daughter to the point of causing harm.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Tony can have all the good intentions and heartbreak in the world but he's still been a complete and utter dick to his daughter to the point of causing harm.

We don't know that yet. For example what if staying had potentially put Annie in danger.

Also loads of people IIT have PhDs in etheric bone surgery I guess

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Splicer posted:

"I went to find them."

That only works for Annie because she can see them and they want to talk to her, because she's useful to them. Tony is a doctor, that's like the opposite of useful for psychopomps.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

afatwhiteloaf posted:

That only works for Annie because she can see them and they want to talk to her, because she's useful to them. Tony is a doctor, that's like the opposite of useful for psychopomps.

Motherfucker keeps ruining my quouta

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

Also loads of people IIT have PhDs in etheric bone surgery I guess

It's not like it's hard to get one, imaginary university is free after all.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

at least turns out to have been trying to save Annie.

This is most likely the case. The problem here isn't his intent, the problem is he cut Annie out of the process for everything. Though I suppose we wouldn't have much of a story if he took the time to talk to Annie to figure out what she actually wanted and what kind of person she is from the get go. Instead, he tried to shoulder all the responsibility himself and make all her decisions for her.

Though what is confirmed is that Donnie is the best. He knows he cant convince Anthony to talk to Annie, so he creates an opportunity to do it by using the blinker stone. Donnie knows both of them so well and he is truly the best friend/dad type person.

It's going to be really interesting to see what Annie will do after all this.

^ Whether Annie is in danger or not: Being half fire elemental seems to be only life threatening if you have a child. We know this because if any time down the line a person of Annie's heritage passed away for different reasons, Annie wouldn't be here today. Also it fits with Tony's MO that he would do whatever he can to fix Annie, without notifying her or knowing how his actions directly affect her. Because he has to fix his mistake and "make things right" for failing to save her mother. His feelings and shame probably trump everything because he is an intensely emotional and withdrawn person. Which makes sense, the dude's wife died and it's understandable that would mess him up. So that does make him sympathetic. But never talking to Annie because of shame/fear is not the best thing for her and that doesn't take a rocket bone surgeon to figure out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

EmmyOk posted:

We don't know that yet.

He caused her to have an emotional meltdown by being a shithead to her, a meltdown which caused her to cut up her soul.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think the big take from this is that Tony does not blame Annie for surmas death like some of us thought. He just thought she'd hate him which is a big part of why he stayed away.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

We don't know that yet. For example what if staying had potentially put Annie in danger.

And also I guess talking to her at all would also somehow put her in danger? Remember, the only time he contacted her was to get hold of scalpels. Basically the dude is too much of coward (or an rear end in a top hat) to talk to his own daughter.

If he did lose the hand during etheric surgery it's his own fault for not asking Annie's permission, or even telling her about it.

EDIT Basically;

JuniperCake posted:

...the dude's wife died and it's understandable that would mess him up. So that does make him sympathetic. But never talking to Annie because of shame/fear is not the best thing for her and that doesn't take a rocket bone surgeon to figure out.
And;

Lurdiak posted:

He caused her to have an emotional meltdown by being a shithead to her, a meltdown which caused her to cut up her soul.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 5, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blackheart posted:

It's not like it's hard to get one, imaginary university is free after all.

I keep getting declined admission

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

And also I guess talking to her at all would also somehow put her in danger? Remember, the only time he contacted her was to get hold of scalpels. Basically the dude is too much of coward (or an rear end in a top hat) to talk to his own daughter.

If he did lose the hand during etheric surgery it's his own fault for not asking Annie's permission, or even telling her about it.

He asked for the items in code which does in fact indicate he could not speak freely. Tony is like Snape in that he is a good guy trying to save Harry from falling off the broom. However in this story Snape got Lily, gently caress James (Potter and Eglamore I guess).

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

JuniperCake posted:

^ Whether Annie is in danger or not: Being half fire elemental seems to be only life threatening if you have a child. We know this because if any time down the line a person of Annie's heritage passed away for different reasons, Annie wouldn't be here today. Also it fits with Tony's MO that he would do whatever he can to fix Annie, without notifying her or knowing how his actions directly affect her. Because he has to fix his mistake and "make things right" for failing to save her mother. His feelings and shame probably trump everything because he is an intensely emotional and withdrawn person. Which makes sense, the dude's wife died and it's understandable that would mess him up. So that does make him sympathetic. But never talking to Annie because of shame/fear is not the best thing for her and that doesn't take a rocket bone surgeon to figure out.

A slightly more horrifying version of events: What if the chain reaction of events that killed Surma didn't start on childbirth. but rather when her spirit was seperated from her body. Annie could have accidentally started the same sequence by trying to act proper for her father.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He could also have contacted Donny directly, plus it was implied there was some sort of hidden message in his words. We also now know that there was some sort of surveillance that he felt had to be evaded, so once again I'm surprised people keep jumping to conclusions about stuff we've been clearly led to believe.

Also the whole she cut her soooooul thing isn't as simple as that either, yes we know the entity is an important part of her and her emotions, but the other half isn't "soulless" either, just considerably more passive. I'm not saying this is a good thing or whatever, just that she hasn't "lobotomized her soul".

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

He asked for the items in code which does in fact indicate he could not speak freely. Tony is like Snape in that he is a good guy trying to save Harry from falling off the broom. However in this story Snape got Lily, gently caress James (Potter and Eglamore I guess).

"Not being able to talk freely" doesn't mean "Not being able to write normal letters to your child asking how they're doing". Even if she couldn't write back.

Plus, he put a message in code re; scalpels, he could have also said "Heads up, going to do some etheric surgery on you, okay bye!"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

JuniperCake posted:

Though what is confirmed is that Donnie is the best.

This, I think, is something we can all agree on.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blackheart posted:

He could also have contacted Donny directly, plus it was implied there was some sort of hidden message in his words. We also now know that there was some sort of surveillance that he felt had to be evaded, so once again I'm surprised people keep jumping to conclusions about stuff we've been clearly led to believe.

Also the whole she cut her soooooul thing isn't as simple as that either, yes we know the entity is an important part of her and her emotions, but the other half isn't "soulless" either, just considerably more passive. I'm not saying this is a good thing or whatever, just that she hasn't "lobotomized her soul".

Tony is Bad not Good. Even if his staying would have been more damaging to Annie than his leaving then he is still NEGLIGENT.

I am surprised that people are saying Tony may have had good intentions but still hurt any is therefore bad. I mean that's right but people are surprisingly unsympathetic as if he was just Bad to him still which I find strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's looking more like coward than rear end in a top hat now. He felt so guilty about not being able to save Surma that he just assumed Annie would hate him by default. So he sent his whole time away thinking that there wad this lingering resentment when really she barely knew him at all before he left and certainly didn't hate him. So when he gets back he assumed that this cheating and hanging out in the forest and keeping body stealing demons as pets was her rebelling against him instead of just get forming her own personality in his absence. It's a pretty interesting way of portraying the disconnect in the thinking of patents and teenagers.