Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

please do not call Rin obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

but yeah the battle-narrating is basically calvinball

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The teacher is the best character in this show

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Goddamn, dude can karate chop a CD player and the CD inside it to bits with his dead hand.

This is like the origin story of a minor Marvel Comics superhero.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Violin Boy, with the power of being a selfish rear end in a top hat

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lestaki posted:

The accident that took away his musical abilities also gave him incredible strength in his left arm, he is... Leftman!

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

If you found SSY too bleak, try watching Gatchaman Crowds, both came out within a year of each other, and explore a similar idea and take them to opposite conclusions.

Thanks for the reference. Not sure where the SSY parallels are yet, but I'm only on the second episode... and I'm genuinely shocked that I don't find Hajime at all obnoxious.

I guess I have a strong soft spot for characters with, let's say an independent outlook, innate confidence and decisive nature (as best I can describe). Plus bonus points for being an unstoppable force of friendly.

Lestaki posted:

If you're looking for a crippled young violin prodigy the polar opposite of an rear end in a top hat (i.e. granting life fulfilling wishes vice absorbing them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgWqZSTd-0o&t=8s (a bit spoilery FYI)

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 5, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

what a loving uncomfortable chair that must be.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Ferretts posted:

If you're looking for a crippled young violin prodigy the polar opposite of an rear end in a top hat (i.e. granting life fulfilling wishes vice absorbing them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgWqZSTd-0o&t=8s (a bit spoilery FYI)

I've watched that one and found it a mixed bag. The characters and music were both reasonably fun but at times the dialogue and especially the internal monologues felt so on the nose I cringed. With that said, yeah, Kaori was pretty fun.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

wateyad posted:

Please do not recommend Mawaru Penguindrum to someone who hasn't seen Revolutionary Girl Utena. Utena at least gives you a while to get used to Ikuhara's style before all pretense falls away and you are forced to accept the show having no concept of a distinction between the literal and the metaphorical.

I actually did see the two in that backwards order. It was not a problem at all. In fact I thought it was a fun experience, kind of like being on the rearmost car of a roller coaster.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ferretts posted:

Thanks for the reference. Not sure where the SSY parallels are yet, but I'm only on the second episode... and I'm genuinely shocked that I don't find Hajime at all obnoxious.

I guess I have a strong soft spot for characters with, let's say an independent outlook, innate confidence and decisive nature (as best I can describe). Plus bonus points for being an unstoppable force of friendly.

It takes a while for the comparison to be made clear. You see, SSY is about the slow strangulation of human potential by unleashed power. Whether it be creative (personalised in this society by karma demons) or destructive (personalised by fiends), both forces are antithetical to human life. The scientists have responded to this crisis in a deliberate and rational manner: suppression of the self, removal of human rights, and taking "thou shalt not kill" to its logical conclusion.

Like a number of other post-apocalyptic Japanese works, it portrays very Japanese anxieties: the demographics are hosed. Fewer and fewer young people are being born, and this time there is no choice: make one mistake and a fiend or karma demon will appear and melt hundreds. This is a world for which there is no hope for the future. Saki is not one to solve it, she lacks a practical vision. While she may resist the temptation to sacrifice other humans for the greater good (she destroyed the psychobuster), she was unable to resist the temptation to sacrifice non-primate humans like Kiroumaru.

Gatchaman Crowds, on the other hand, is set much earlier in the trajectory of SSY's society, before the decisions of the SSY scientists were deemed necessary. There is still hope for the future.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Gatchaman Crowds, on the other hand... [spoiler text]

At about what episode count am I clear to read this? (I'm on 5)

My major complaint so far is how much they're shoving "GALAX is our salvation" down the viewers throat. I was all on board when they were showing its effectiveness with Project Spoiled School Milk, etc, but the telling of it has been jarring and forced.

Not sure what to make of it yet.

Lestaki posted:

I've watched that one and found it a mixed bag. The characters and music were both reasonably fun but at times the dialogue and especially the internal monologues felt so on the nose I cringed. With that said, yeah, Kaori was pretty fun.

Fair points. The art is also outstanding.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

his spoilered comment on gatchaman is entirely thematic

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Torquemadras posted:

I particularly liked the little talk between the three kings, which featured Archer being a megalomanical dick, Rider being a boisterious dick, and Saber being owned constantly (why do you never have a comeback :saddowns: ).
Gilgamesh & The King of Conquerors are both great. :allears: Rider has pretty much become my favorite character in the show. However, Saber tends to have kinda sub-par dialogue most of the time, despite being (what should be) a cool character. I blame that entirely on her being in Fate/Stay, so she has to retain the rather bland character from the beginning of that timeline for continuity or whatever. Why they couldn't just have a different Saber for Fate/Zero is beyond me.

quote:

Didn't really care for the obnoxious school girl ep in between - that one felt like someone else was writing it...
While it was somewhat filler-ish, it showed what Caster & his Master have been up to, it gave Kariya some screentime, and it gave us more Rin. More Rin is rarely a bad thing.

quote:

Even the Magus Killer falls into this trap - instead of outsmarting an arrogant mage with an ultimate defense with awesome traps and being Batman, he pulls out instant counters out of nowhere and then uses his special ultimate-defense-piercing mage-killing gun.
Hey, Kiritsugu is both reasonably cool and has no qualms about killing people to achieve his goals. Don't compare him to a weirdo like Batman. :colbert:
But yeah, those bullets were a little bit out of nowhere; even if it makes sense for why he has them - going off to kill a bunch of semi-powerful mages, better pack the heart-attack-in-a-gun bullets. My only :psyduck: moment during that fight was "Why didn't he just shoot him with the bullets-of-gently caress-you the first time? He shot him normally, and THEN used his magic bullets 5 minutes later."

Anyways, why are we talking about Fate/Zero in the Madoka thread, again?

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Blaziken386 posted:

My only :psyduck: moment during that fight was "Why didn't he just shoot him with the bullets-of-gently caress-you the first time? He shot him normally, and THEN used his magic bullets 5 minutes later."

The Origin Bullets do more damage the more Magic Circuits are activated. They're based on Kiritsugu's Duel Origin, which is "Severing and Binding". The whole point was to bait Kayneth to use as much magic as possible in one go, so that he was using as many Magic Circuits as possible, and thus destroying as many Magic Circuits as possible, by cutting them and tying them back together.

If you think of a Magic Circuit as a water hose, and you cut that hose and tie it into a knot; once you run water through it, it'll eventually burst. This is what happened to Kayneth, all of his Magic Circuits bursting at once, and they're overlayed over his nerves. In a way, the anime kind of undersells how badly Kayneth was hurt, he was completely and utterly paralyzed and only managed what he did in terms of movement with extremely advanced puppetry techniques.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Madoka Magica: Saber is the best Meguca

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Fate/Stay Night Rider is my favorite magical girl.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV This unironically.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 5, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lestaki posted:

I agree how dare he be bitter he can't play violin anymore what an unnatural reaction. How selfish can be get

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Namtab posted:

I agree how dare he be bitter he can't play violin anymore what an unnatural reaction. How selfish can be get

Okay, but in the earlier timelines what was the problem? He played guitar. I've seen plenty of one-handed riffing.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Anyways, why are we talking about Fate/Zero in the Madoka thread, again?

Without Madoka, related animes creep out of the woods! Also, it's ***almost*** topical, being from Gen Urobuchi and whatnot. There's comparisons to be made.
I'm still baffled how a show about magical 14-year olds can have so much better action scenes than the show about mage duelling with what seems like infinite budget.

Lord Justice posted:

The Origin Bullets do more damage the more Magic Circuits are activated. They're based on Kiritsugu's Duel Origin, which is "Severing and Binding". The whole point was to bait Kayneth to use as much magic as possible in one go, so that he was using as many Magic Circuits as possible, and thus destroying as many Magic Circuits as possible, by cutting them and tying them back together.

If you think of a Magic Circuit as a water hose, and you cut that hose and tie it into a knot; once you run water through it, it'll eventually burst. This is what happened to Kayneth, all of his Magic Circuits bursting at once, and they're overlayed over his nerves. In a way, the anime kind of undersells how badly Kayneth was hurt, he was completely and utterly paralyzed and only managed what he did in terms of movement with extremely advanced puppetry techniques.

What the gently caress

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

What the gently caress

That's one of the more straightforward descriptions of how an ability works in the Nasuverse. The Fate/Zero anime did a good job of cutting down on Nasubabble about in-universe rules.

If you think that's worthy of what the gently caress then you might not want to dig much deeper.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Torquemadras posted:

What the gently caress

Unless you've made it to the flashback episodes (which is the beginning of part 2), you probably wouldn't get that at first glance. And the action sequences get a lot better starting with the river fight.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Namtab posted:

Kamijou is a pretty interesting character because he ends up being Sayaka's kryptonite but everything he does is understandable given his position so it's not as if he's exactly to blame. Indeed, it would detract from the theme that Sayaka was being self-defeating if he was overtly a bad person.

But that wouldn't make much of a jokey joke about superheroes

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lestaki posted:

Kamijou is a pretty interesting character because he ends up being Sayaka's kryptonite but everything he does is understandable given his position so it's not as if he's exactly to blame. Indeed, it would detract from the theme that Sayaka was being self-defeating if he was overtly a bad person.

But that wouldn't make much of a jokey joke about superheroes

Comparatively, Hitomi is the worst person in the show. "I know how you feel. I know you've known him longer, but I want him, too. I'll give you 24 hours. After that, he's fair game."
Go gently caress yourself, Hitomi! :argh:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Unless you've made it to the flashback episodes (which is the beginning of part 2), you probably wouldn't get that at first glance. And the action sequences get a lot better starting with the river fight.

I sure hope so, because I'm other the half now and I'm gonna finish it either way! Aaaand I'm genuinely curious.

In any case, that's a convoluted, amazingly unnecessary explanation... It sounds like something that works much better for an established universe AND a novel, rather than animated action. Magibabble is the even sillier cousin of technobabble.

On more Madoka-related talk, I just stumbled upon no less than two separate April's Fools videos for the announcement of another season. Delicious tears :toot:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AlternateNu posted:

Comparatively, Hitomi is the worst person in the show. "I know how you feel. I know you've known him longer, but I want him, too. I'll give you 24 hours. After that, he's fair game."

In her defence Hitomi had no idea how hosed up Sayaka already was.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I think that's a little unfair. Again, from Hitomi's perspective it's an awkward situation but if she genuinely feels that Sayaka has sat on this crush since forever and will probably continue to do so if undisturbed, it's kind of reasonable to prod her into action given Hitomi feels the same way about violinboy.

The problem is that she cannot reasonably know that Sayaka's self-esteem has imploded as a result of her bad case of being a magical zombie girl.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I was mostly annoyed by the timing of Hitomi's confession. At no point did she indicate that she liked Kyousuke before the accident or during the time he was injured. Once this violin playing prodigy miraculously gets cured, Hitomi jumps up to grab the golden ticket.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess she figured he had more important things to worry about than girls while he was getting used to his former life being over.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Sayaka ended up in a sweet interdimensional gay relationship anyway, Hitomi can keep her literally-nightmare-inducing prodigy boyfriend.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How did Sayaka end up being sort of alive again anyway? My brain may have skipped over that bit in Rebellion.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

How did Sayaka end up being sort of alive again anyway? My brain may have skipped over that bit in Rebellion.

She was essentially Madoka's valkyrie that went with her to save Homura. There really wasn't much explanation as to why she is capable of doing this.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
At the end? Demon Homura kept her alive in this continuity because her world has blackjack and hookers and is much cooler than the stupid world that came before it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hmm, I thought I'd missed something bigger than that but the idea of Sayaka being Madoka's Valkyrie is pretty :black101:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yah theres a bunch of small hints about her still being a witch or at least having a true form as one, that I don't remember because its been a while since I've seen rebellion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sharkopath posted:

Yah theres a bunch of small hints about her still being a witch or at least having a true form as one, that I don't remember because its been a while since I've seen rebellion.

Small hints? She literally summons her witch counterpart and has it grapple with Homura's witch form.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Don't make fun of me..... it's been a while..........

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F2KhA1Y1Dk

so dope

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sayaka's breakdancing one is the best though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sharkopath posted:

Sayaka's breakdancing one is the best though

:yeah:

That's reminded me I don't have the Rebellion soundtrack anywhere and I should remedy that.

• Locked thread