Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Polaron posted:

There was one flight back in the...80s?...Where an enormous amount of control wiring exploded and the plane had to be crash-landed basically using just the rudder.

I wish I could remember the flight because the only reason anyone survived at all was due to the insane skill of the pilots involved. I think one of them was a guy who was taking the plane somewhere else and happened to be an instructor or something? I'm probably completely misremembering.

Not talking about United 232 at all are you?

http://flightclub.jalopnik.com/how-the-crash-of-united-flight-232-changed-the-way-we-f-1606999239

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

pookel posted:

It was in a book, and at least 20 years ago. So maybe the Wire episode was based on real life? I think it might have been Mind Hunter, by John Douglas, which was one of the early books that popularized profiling.

The Wire was based on a book, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon. It also spawned Homicide: Life on the Streets

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Welcome to the final episode of the tale of I-TIGI. Last time, politics, a crashed Libyan fighter jet, and suspicious witness deaths.

Now, for the conclusion.

So, what really happened on the night of June 27th, 1980? Nobody really knows for sure, and this is still a sore point with the Italian public, even after thirty-five years, but there are clear clues pointing towards a specific answer, like I'd said in my introductory post.

Considering that Libyan planes often passed through Italian airspace, flying close to airliners to mask their presence;

That there was a lot of military activity on the part of NATO members that night;

That a Libyan MiG-23 was found crashed not far from the site of the accident less than a month later, with evidence pointing towards it having been there at least a couple weeks;

That I-TIGI disappeared suddenly and without warning, as if it had disintegrated in mid-air,

The answer seems pretty clear: a Libyan plane was using I-TIGi as cover that night, and someone from NATO didn't like that and shot at it, hitting flight IH870 by mistake. After the fact, the whole thing was subjected to an attempted cover-up by making inconvenient radar logs disappear. (The witnesses' deaths are probably just a series of coincidences.)

It's not just me and conspiracy theorists who think this, in any case. In 2007 Francesco Cossiga, former President of the Republic, who was Prime Minister of Italy at the time I-TIGI went down, explicitly said, when interviewed about the fact:

quote:

"Our Secret Service informed me and [vice-Prime Minister] Amato that it had been the French, a French Navy plane, who had launched a missile. The French knew Gaddafi's plane should have been there, but [Gaddafi] survived because he'd just taken off when SISMI [the Italian Secret Service] informed him of the plot, and he decided to turn back."

As a result of Cossiga's words, the relatives of 42 victims of the crash cited the Italian State in civil court to obtain some measure of justice. In 2013 the Italian Supreme Court declared that it was "abundantly clear" that I-TIGI had been brought down by a missile, and sentenced the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Transportation to pay more than one hundred million euros (total) to the victims' family members. Maybe they found some peace in that.

Still, the crash of I-TIGI is terrible tragedy, and a sad example of what can happen because of rivalries between power blocs.

RIP 81 people, killed by Cold War politics.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
The great thing about the Italian government is that very loving little has changed in the ensuing decades. I'd trust them as much as a wet fart on chilli night

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
http://strangeco.blogspot.com/2015/05/newspaper-clipping-of-day.html

quote:

"Andersonville Intelligencer," April 22, 1880.

South Bend, Ind., March 22. Several months ago the grave of Sarah Platts, a young lady who died of consumption, was found disturbed, and an examination showed that the head of the corpse was missing. What led to the discovery was the finding of a human jawbone by Fred Auer, a farmer, who lived near the county graveyard, some eight miles from the city, where the body was buried. The fact that only the head was taken threw suspicions on an amateur phrenologist named Gordon Truesdale. Truesdale occupied a small farm in the vicinity with his wife and family of four girls, the oldest not more than eight years old. He was a handsome, broad-shouldered fellow, with a fair education, but lazy and shiftless. His great hobby was phrenology, and he occasionally lectured on that subject in country school-houses. His ambition to possess a collection of skulls was well known in the neighborhood, and the desecration of the Platts girl's grave was laid at his door, although he was never openly charged with it.

About three weeks ago Truesdale went to a physician and asked if a person could become poisoned in handling a dead body. He received an affirmative reply and appeared to be much troubled. He complained to his wife that his nose was paining him terribly and he believed he was taking the erysipelas. He began doctoring himself with bread-and-milk poultices, but without success. His face began to swell rapidly, and in less than three days it and his head became twice their natural size and lost all semblance to human shape. A physician was called in against the wishes of Truesdale. He found the man suffering terribly. His lids were drawn by the tension of the skin and writhed themselves away from the teeth in unceasing pain. The cuticle across the bridge of the nose and over the forehead was so distended with the mattery substance underneath that it seemed as if it must burst every moment. The eyes were swollen almost to bursting from their sockets and were turned with pain until hardly anything but the whites could be seen. It was evident that a terrible poison was slowly but surely permeating the man's whole system.

The physician, after a careful examination of the unwilling patient, cut open his skin from about the center of his nose almost to the roots of his hair, and then made another across the forehead almost from temple to temple. From these incisions there oozed a mass of loathsome, detestable putrescence, so terrible in its stench that the attendants, save one, ran from the house. Other incisions were made in different parts of the scalp, from which the hair had been shaved, and from these this terribly offensive matter oozed constantly, until the swelling was reduced and the head and face assumed nearly their normal size. Attempts were then made to free the incisions of matter by injecting water into them. It was noticed that when water was forced into the cut in the forehead it poured out of the holes in the scalp. As one of the attendants said, "it seemed as if all the flesh between the skin arid bone had turned into corruption and ran out."

When Mr. Truesdale was told that he could not possibly recover, he called his wife into the room and confessed to her that he robbed the Platts girl's grave, and referred to a certain night when he left the house and refused to tell her where he went at the time when he committed the crime. He said that he dug down to the head of the coffin, broke it open and, taking his knife, cut around the neck of the corpse through the flesh to the bone. He then placed one of his feet on the breast of the corpse, and, taking the head in his hands, pulled and jerked and twisted it until it came off by mere force. He afterward disjointed the lower jaw and threw it where Fred Auer found it. He closed his confession by telling her where the skull would be found, under the straw in a certain manger in the stable. It was found there and given up to the Platts family.

The last three days of Truesdale's existence were terrible, not only to himself but to those who watched him. The poison from some corpse (for it is believed he had recently opened several graves,) which was communicated to his system by picking a raw spot on the inside of his nose, appeared to course through every vein in his body. Not only was his person offensive to the eye, but the odor and heat of his breath was so offensive that it was impossible for the attendants to wait on him properly. The breath was so poisonous that when one of the attendants held his hand six inches from the dying man's mouth it stung the flesh like hundreds of nettles. Those who waited on him were obliged
to wear gloves, as it was impossible to wash the odor from their hands. The day he died his flesh was so rotten that it seemed as if it would drop from the bones it touched, and his eyes actually decayed until they became sightless.

For two days before his death a coffin had been in readiness, and the orders of the physician were to place him in it as soon as the breath left his body and get him under the ground immediately. After his death none of the attendants had the temerity to touch the corpse, for fear of being poisoned, so they gathered the sheets on which the body lay at each end, and thus lifted it into the coffin. The lid was quickly screwed down, but before a wagon could be procured the body swelled and burst it off. It was then strapped on, but when the coffin was taken from the wagon at the graveyard, just at daylight, it again flew off, and the body appeared to swell visibly before the horrified attendants' eyes. The fetid, noisome stench from the putrid mass within was such that no one could attempt to replace the cover, and the coffin was covered from sight as hurriedly as possible.

The day after the funeral, or burial, rather, the wife of Truesdale was confined at a neighbor's house, this fifth child also being a girl. The Truesdale house will not be fit to occupy for several days, as all efforts to fumigate it thus far have failed. The doors and windows have been left open day and night, but the stench is still as bad as when he died. As one of the attendants said, "It still seems as if you could cut the air in that house with a knife."

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Polaron posted:

There was one flight back in the...80s?...Where an enormous amount of control wiring exploded and the plane had to be crash-landed basically using just the rudder.

I wish I could remember the flight because the only reason anyone survived at all was due to the insane skill of the pilots involved. I think one of them was a guy who was taking the plane somewhere else and happened to be an instructor or something? I'm probably completely misremembering.

I can't look it up right now but there's an excellent episode of Errol Morris's First Person in which the hero pilot of this incident is interviewed. I watched it on YouTube recently

Edit https://youtu.be/2M9TQs-fQR0

A CRUNK BIRD has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Aug 4, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

pienipple posted:

The Wire was based on a book, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon. It also spawned Homicide: Life on the Streets

And if you haven't read it yet, stop what you're doing right now and go read it.

Go on -- this thread will still be here when you get back.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Did some reading on a classic 80s style Satanic panic case today:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-hampstead-cult-that-wasnt-the-satanic-panic-revisited/16802

quote:

Twenty-one years after Professor Jean La Fontaine produced her report for the Department of Health, confirming the absence of any convincing evidence for the existence of Satanic ritual abuse (SRA) in the UK, it is extraordinary that any court should have to conduct a similar inquiry. But it’s a sign of how unhinged British society has become on the subject of child abuse that the repetition of such far-fetched claims now warrants prolonged judicial scrutiny.

Unusually for the family courts, this ruling names names, except for the children, whose anonymity is protected by court order. Mrs Justice Pauffley made short work of the claims, which were drilled into two children by their mother Ella Draper and her new partner, Abraham Christie. Draper had for years been locked in a battle over contact with the children’s birth father, Ricky Dearman. When Christie came on the scene last year, he made a scene at the children’s school, Christchurch Primary School in Hampstead, alleging that the teachers were poisoning them.

In August, Draper and her new partner took the children abroad on holiday. During their travels, they took a series of film clips of the children describing, in the most lurid terms imaginable, their involvement in scenes of horrific abuse and mass sacrifice. Draper and Christie set out to fabricate these accounts in sessions described as ‘brainstorming’. The clips consist of Christie interrogating the children, including encouraging them to chant ‘Kill, kill, kill’. In September, Christie showed the clips to his brother-in-law, who contacted the British police. Bizarrely, the police declined to view these clips, and instead sent them to a property store in Chingford.

The gist of the ‘disclosures’ was that the Draper children, referred to in the case as P and Q, were part of a large group of children from north London who had been sexually abused, and who belonged to a Satanic cult in which there was significant paedophile activity. The stories feature the usual outlandish paraphernalia of SRA and ritual/organised abuse fantasies. Thus, the cult was supplied with babies ‘from all over the world. They were bought, injected with drugs and then sent by TNT or DHL to London.’ Their throats were slit, their blood was drunk, and cult members would then dance wearing babies’ skulls. P and Q asserted that their own father had involved them in decapitating babies. Christie is heard asserting that ‘snuff movies of the babies’ were made and sold ‘all over the world’. Cult members, P and Q said, also anally abused children with ‘plastic willies’.
As well as the children’s school, Christchurch Primary in Hampstead, seven other local schools were named. East Finchley swimming pool was also said to be another venue for the paedophile ring. Rituals were also, allegedly, performed in an upstairs room at a McDonald’s restaurant, where babies were cooked in a secret kitchen, and then eaten by cult members.

The whole situation is kinda creepy - even now after it's completely discredited there's a bunch of obsessed true believers who absolutely, wholeheartedly believe this is all true. Many of them are featured in the comments to that article.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Aug 5, 2015

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

The postmortem swelling is almost certainly what we in ~the business~ call tissue gas. It's an embalmer's worst nightmare; just about impossible to do anything about once it gets started and will very quickly render a body unviewable. They weren't exaggerating when they said the body blew up right in front of them.

It's pretty uncommon nowadays, but I'd imagine loving around with corpses and then jabbing a mucous membrane with an unwashed hand is a good way to ensure your dead rear end ends up with it.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Aaaaaaand ^^^ thank you

So what the hell is this poisoning that happens? Just sounds so surreal.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:barf:

:barf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbg1nEXQ1fI&t=38s

Last Chance has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Aug 5, 2015

Asclepius Hot Rod
Apr 5, 2009

manderson posted:

Aaaaaaand ^^^ thank you

So what the hell is this poisoning that happens? Just sounds so surreal.

Gas gangrene of the head. Nasty poo poo.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Asclepius Hot Rod posted:

Theoretically, is there anything that could've been done to save the poor guy?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

Different career choice.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
that's why you always wear a rubber

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

And if you haven't read it yet, stop what you're doing right now and go read it.

Go on -- this thread will still be here when you get back.

Seconded. Some of the stuff in the book is dated, but the issues still persist, and a lot of the cases are still unsolved.

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

Thanks thread, I just had to start looking up gas Gangrene and all the poo poo surrounding it. What the gently caress. :barf:

Seriously interesting stuff though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mikl posted:

Welcome to the final episode of the tale of I-TIGI. Last time, politics, a crashed Libyan fighter jet, and suspicious witness deaths.

Now, for the conclusion.

So, what really happened on the night of June 27th, 1980? Nobody really knows for sure, and this is still a sore point with the Italian public, even after thirty-five years, but there are clear clues pointing towards a specific answer, like I'd said in my introductory post.

Considering that Libyan planes often passed through Italian airspace, flying close to airliners to mask their presence;

That there was a lot of military activity on the part of NATO members that night;

That a Libyan MiG-23 was found crashed not far from the site of the accident less than a month later, with evidence pointing towards it having been there at least a couple weeks;

That I-TIGI disappeared suddenly and without warning, as if it had disintegrated in mid-air,

The answer seems pretty clear: a Libyan plane was using I-TIGi as cover that night, and someone from NATO didn't like that and shot at it, hitting flight IH870 by mistake. After the fact, the whole thing was subjected to an attempted cover-up by making inconvenient radar logs disappear. (The witnesses' deaths are probably just a series of coincidences.)

It's not just me and conspiracy theorists who think this, in any case. In 2007 Francesco Cossiga, former President of the Republic, who was Prime Minister of Italy at the time I-TIGI went down, explicitly said, when interviewed about the fact:

As a result of Cossiga's words, the relatives of 42 victims of the crash cited the Italian State in civil court to obtain some measure of justice. In 2013 the Italian Supreme Court declared that it was "abundantly clear" that I-TIGI had been brought down by a missile, and sentenced the Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Transportation to pay more than one hundred million euros (total) to the victims' family members. Maybe they found some peace in that.

Still, the crash of I-TIGI is terrible tragedy, and a sad example of what can happen because of rivalries between power blocs.

RIP 81 people, killed by Cold War politics.

Actually it is more likely that the plane was downed by a bomb placed in the bathroom. http://aviation-safety.net/pubs/other/Taylor_paper_Ustica_illustrated.pdf

quote:

6 Conclusions
6.1 Failing to differentiate between
perfectly reasonable assumptions and
p r o v e n f a c t s c a n l e a d t o t h e
production of extremely convincing
but ultimately incorrect conclusions.
6.2 The not inconsiderable circumstantial
evidence that a missile or missiles
brought down the DC-9 was not
supported by the evidence from the
aircraft wreckage.
The study of the
wreckage recovered from the sea bed
provided the key lessons to the
investigation.
6.3 Several years after the completion of
the ‘technical investigation’ the
finding that the Itavia DC-9 broke-up
as a result of an internal explosion still
stands but although this has not been
seriously challenged it has still not
been accepted by all parties. The
reasons for this are unknown but are
thought not to be of a technical
nature.
6.4 Despite the integrity and impartiality
of individuals involved, the judicial
system used in Italy (and in some
other countries) to investigate aircraft
accidents is not appropriate to a
c o m p l e x t e c h n i c a l a c c i d e n t
investigation. Investigation should be
vested in a totally independent
specialist agency as called for by the
European Commission.

The missile theory was just Italian politicians trying to push their own agendas.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zero One posted:

The missile theory was just Italian politicians trying to push their own agendas.

Yeah, this is a country where a foreign student was convicted of murdering her roommate because the prosecutor claimed she was the coed equivalent of a satanic ritual abuser.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

RNG posted:

Seconded. Some of the stuff in the book is dated, but the issues still persist, and a lot of the cases are still unsolved.

drat, and here I am house sitting without my Kindle. If I can't wait for the weekend I may just have to order it off Prime. I've been looking for some good books, so thanks for the rec.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yeah, this is a country where a foreign student was convicted of murdering her roommate because the prosecutor claimed she was the coed equivalent of a satanic ritual abuser.
And where they convicted seismologists of manslaughter for not predicting a major earthquake (later overturned).

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Actually, I think it was more because she was a slut, based on the fact that she wasn't a modest Italian woman, and she wore skirts or something. I think she also kissed a boy once.

Fair or not, the Knox case is what I think of every time I hear anything about the Italian justice system. Everyone involved in the prosecution's case was just such a clownish caricature.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Free diver vanishes on dive

quote:

atalia Molchanova, widely regarded as the greatest free diver in history, wore her favorite purple wet suit Sunday on a chartered boat off the coast of Formentera, an island near Ibiza. Only 1.5 millimeters thick, the wet suit was low buoyancy, designed specifically for divers like her who want to go deep on a single breath. It was a Molchanova, the brand she started with her son, Alexey Molchanov.

With clear skies and a light breeze on the Balearic Sea, off the eastern coast of Spain, Ms. Molchanova attached a neck weight — a pound or two, at most — that would help her descend. Then she dipped into the water to begin what divers call breathing up. A lower heart rate enables divers to use precious oxygen more efficiently. To relax deeply, Ms. Molchanova would inhale for a few seconds, then exhale twice as long and twice as deep.

Those may have been among Ms. Molchanova’s last breaths. She then proceeded to attempt a recreational dive to a depth that was modest for her, and she never resurfaced. After two days of intense search efforts, Alexey Molchanov said Tuesday afternoon that his mother, 53, was not expected to be found alive.

“She was a free-diving superstar, and we all thought nothing could harm her,” said Kimmo Lahtinen, the president of the global federation for free diving, known as AIDA. “Nothing could happen to her, but, you know, we are playing with the ocean, and when you play with the ocean, you know who is the strongest one.”

Ms. Molchanova, a Russian who holds dozens of world records, was not aiming for the record books Sunday. Rather, she and three fellow divers were taking a few dives for fun, her son said. Ms. Molchanova’s record dive without the use of fins is 71 meters (about 233 feet), set in May in Dahab, Egypt. She set the record along a line used to measure depth and to tether the diver in case of emergency.

There was no such line Sunday, two miles west of La Savina at Poniente de es Freus, a part of the sea where currents at the surface and at depth can be unpredictable and powerful. Was she swept away by a strong current? Did she black out? Was there a shark? Did she hit her head on something?

When Ms. Molchanova failed to surface after her dive, her fellow divers conducted a brief search before calling for help via radio. A flotilla of private boats and the local Coast Guard deployed. Air support was added from a Helimar 213 chopper, and the search lasted until dark. It resumed Monday morning.

Ms. Molchanova remained missing Tuesday, when the search expanded to include the use of an underwater robot capable of searching a radius of nearly 500 meters at depth.

The water temperature in the area was about 79 degrees, though a layer of water known as a thermocline can be 10 to 15 degrees cooler about 65 feet below the surface. Such a variance can shock a diver’s system.

The world has lost its greatest free diver,” said Will Trubridge, a 15-time world-record holder in the sport. “I don’t think anybody would dispute that.”

Ms. Molchanova was first a competitive swimmer in Russia before leaving the sport to have a family. After picking up free diving about 20 years later, she went on to set 41 world records and claim 23 world championship titles.

Free diving includes three pool disciplines: static apnea, in which a diver goes face down in a pool and floats holding his or her breath as long as possible (Ms. Molchanova’s world record is 9 minutes 2 seconds); dynamic, in which a diver swims as many pool lengths as possible underwater on one breath with a monofin (her record is 237 meters, or about 778 feet); and dynamic no fins, in which a diver does the same thing using a breaststroke (her record is 182 meters, or almost 600 feet).

For Ms. Molchanova and Mr. Molchanov, who is also a competitive diver, the pool has always been a mere training ground. They prefer to go deep. “Compared to the ocean,” she once said, “the pool is like running on a treadmill versus running in the forest.”

There are three depth disciplines in competitive free diving. In constant weight, a diver swims as deeply as possible on one breath with a monofin. Any weight he or she chooses to wear on the way down, he or she must carry back to the surface. Ms. Molchanova became the only woman in the sport’s history to break the mythic 100-meter barrier, at the world championships in Kalamata, Greece, in 2013. The same year, her son set a men’s record in the same discipline with a dive to 128 meters, or almost 420 feet.

Ms. Molchanova also holds the no-fins record and the record for free immersion, in which a diver pulls along a line to depth and back again to the surface. Her record is 91 meters, nearly 100 yards.

“Free diving is not only sport, it’s a way to understand who we are,” Ms. Molchanova said in an interview last year. “When we go down, if we don’t think, we understand we are whole. We are one with world. When we think, we are separate. On surface, it is natural to think and we have many information inside. We need to reset sometimes. Free diving helps do that.”

Ms. Molchanova has been on the faculty of Moscow’s Russian State University of Physical Education, Sport, Youth and Tourism. She has run its free-diving program with Mr. Molchanov. She has written instructional manuals and a volume of poetry, and commuted around Moscow on a kick scooter.

“She is a force, and having even gotten close to what she’s done was hugely gratifying and a source of pride, and ultimately she’s the one to learn from,” said the American diver Ashley Chapman, one of the few to break one of Ms. Molchanova’s records. She did it in the Cayman Islands in 2012 with a dive to 67 meters. Within 24 hours, Ms. Molchanova had reclaimed the record — with a dive to 68 meters, on her 50th birthday.

“I’d planned to do some studying with Natalia, directly,” Ms. Chapman said. “She was a wealth of knowledge and was willing to share it, and now she’s gone, and that’s really sad for the sport.”

If Ms. Molchanova’s body is not recovered, no one will ever know for sure what happened underwater. By Tuesday night, her son had accepted the likelihood that much would remain unknown.

“It seems she’ll stay in the sea,” he said. “I think she would like that.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/s...T.nav=RecEngine

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nckdictator posted:

The treatment for gas gangrene is amputation of the affected appendage. Amputation of the head has a uh less than stellar survival rate.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

And the prosecutor who did that accused an American author doing a story about the Monster of Florence (a serial killer active from the late 60s to early 80s) of being the Monster of Florence, in collaboration with a local Italian journalist.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
One serial killer story that I always found fascinating. I can't remember who it was but I saw this on like a special or something. The guy was a serial killer, living at home, and his father found a locked box under his bed or something. He said he waited for his son to come home and he was going to confront him with the box, thinking it was like drugs or something. The guy came home, and knew immediately that it was some severed body part in the box and refused to open it. His father said that he just got really mad and took the box and left. When he came back the son apologized and I think admitted that it was drugs or something in the box and the father never thought anything about it until after his son was found and I think his son finally told him what was in that box. The father seemed so distraught over the fact that he could have found out early on what was really going on and it was so close but he never saw what was in the box.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

One serial killer story that I always found fascinating. I can't remember who it was but I saw this on like a special or something. The guy was a serial killer, living at home, and his father found a locked box under his bed or something. He said he waited for his son to come home and he was going to confront him with the box, thinking it was like drugs or something. The guy came home, and knew immediately that it was some severed body part in the box and refused to open it. His father said that he just got really mad and took the box and left. When he came back the son apologized and I think admitted that it was drugs or something in the box and the father never thought anything about it until after his son was found and I think his son finally told him what was in that box. The father seemed so distraught over the fact that he could have found out early on what was really going on and it was so close but he never saw what was in the box.
It was Dahmer. He said it had gay porn in it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I want to say this was Dahmer. At the very least there was a scene like this in a movie about him.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The treatment for gas gangrene is amputation of the affected appendage. Amputation of the head has a uh less than stellar survival rate.

Interestingly (and by that I mean 'horribly') reading that link it seems like one of the causes of it is having water squirted into wounds----which, as you'll recall, was one of the very first things the people treating that guy did. So in trying to help him, they made the problem exponentially worse.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Zero One posted:

Actually it is more likely that the plane was downed by a bomb placed in the bathroom. http://aviation-safety.net/pubs/other/Taylor_paper_Ustica_illustrated.pdf

Huh, I wasn't aware of the report you linked. Thanks!

(Note that the report doesn't take into account Cossiga's testimony, since that was released in 2007 and the report was last updated in 2006. But still, I'd rather trust an impartial report rather than the words of an Italian politician who wasn't under oath when he said them.)

Mikl has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Aug 5, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

Actually, I think it was more because she was a slut, based on the fact that she wasn't a modest Italian woman, and she wore skirts or something. I think she also kissed a boy once.

Fair or not, the Knox case is what I think of every time I hear anything about the Italian justice system. Everyone involved in the prosecution's case was just such a clownish caricature.

Don't Italians accuse Americans of being prudes all the time? I don't think they're typically big on modesty.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Did some reading on a classic 80s style Satanic panic case today:

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/the-hampstead-cult-that-wasnt-the-satanic-panic-revisited/16802

The whole situation is kinda creepy - even now after it's completely discredited there's a bunch of obsessed true believers who absolutely, wholeheartedly believe this is all true. Many of them are featured in the comments to that article.

The whole idea of SRA (and its near relatives, organized pedophile or sex trafficker rings) has such a grip on the public. I read a few of the forteana / unsolved mystery reddits and they're always ready to go to bat for these as an explanation for any disappearance, arguing for overwhelming evidence that is actually just anecdotes or circular logic ("no, the powerful people are behind it - that's why you'll never hear anything about it!"). Makes me wonder what future sociologists are going to make of our time and it's beliefs.

Note: I'm not arguing that there aren't satanists, pedophile or sex traffickers, just that they don't exist as these vast secretive organisations ready to snatch people off the street in broad daylight with impunity.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Jack Gladney posted:

Don't Italians accuse Americans of being prudes all the time? I don't think they're typically big on modesty.

I wasn't trying to make a factual point about the mores of Italian society. I was trying to convey how so much of the prosecution's case (based on what I heard and read in English-language media) seemed to boil down to, "Her inflamed loins caused her to murder her friend so she could have all the cocks for herself." I remember there being a really bizarre amount of, "Look at this picture of Amanda Knox in a bikini." Then, everyone got the vapors and had to sit down.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

outlier posted:

The whole idea of SRA (and its near relatives, organized pedophile or sex trafficker rings) has such a grip on the public. I read a few of the forteana / unsolved mystery reddits and they're always ready to go to bat for these as an explanation for any disappearance, arguing for overwhelming evidence that is actually just anecdotes or circular logic ("no, the powerful people are behind it - that's why you'll never hear anything about it!"). Makes me wonder what future sociologists are going to make of our time and it's beliefs.

Note: I'm not arguing that there aren't satanists, pedophile or sex traffickers, just that they don't exist as these vast secretive organisations ready to snatch people off the street in broad daylight with impunity.

No it was just politicians and going into childrens care homes in the UK. including a now dead prime minister

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

RNG posted:

...and the real Jay Landsman loving rules even more than his fictional counterpart.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

did dear old dad whine "WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOX" at him?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sex Hobbit posted:

The postmortem swelling is almost certainly what we in ~the business~ call tissue gas. It's an embalmer's worst nightmare; just about impossible to do anything about once it gets started and will very quickly render a body unviewable. They weren't exaggerating when they said the body blew up right in front of them.

Asclepius Hot Rod posted:

While reading that story I was thinking to myself that it's clearly fake or embellished in some way so thanks for showing I was wrong I guess.

Sometimes truth is more disgusting than fiction.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

...and the real Jay Landsman loving rules even more than his fictional counterpart.

And he had a part on the show (not as Landsman, but Lt. Mello)!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

outlier posted:

The people involved in this are demanding the people they suspect prove their innocence by stripping naked to show that they don't have any Satanic warts, marks or tattoos.

I mean, it's a straight up old school actual WITCH HUNT in England, 2015.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Heh, there's a meme going around that Taylor Swift looks like Zeena Schreck (aka Zeena LaVey, Anton's daughter), so yesterday I checked out her wiki page, and wouldn't you know, she's germane to this topic. :haw:

quote:

1980s "Satanic Panic"

In the 1980s the media reported concerns of criminal conspiracies within the Church of Satan. The FBI would later issue an official report refuting the criminal conspiracy theories of this time.[12] This phenomenon became known as the "Satanic Panic". LaVey's daughter Zeena was the spokeswoman and High Priestess within the Church of Satan during the 1980s.[6]

Some of Zeena's groundbreaking work combating media hysteria about Satanism included taking a proactive stance against the allegations in the media by working with government sectors and law enforcement agencies to educate about the reality of Satanism. In the 1980s Zeena was in regular contact with law enforcement agencies and personnel, including Detective Patrick Metoyer of the LAPD[13] and Robert D. Hicks, law-enforcement specialist with the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services and author of several precedent setting treatises[14] including In Pursuit of Satan: The Police and The Occult, In Pursuit of Satan began the wave of authoritative reports debunking the Satanic Panic. Much of what Hicks gleaned from Zeena's dialogs with him was included in this treatise. Prior to Zeena's dialogs and meetings with government agencies, police and law enforcement didn't know, from the Satanist's point of view, what Satanism truly was.

Zeena's regular appearances on national broadcasts defending the Church of Satan began with a specific event. In a September 2011 interview, Zeena states, "In 1985, a US news show called 20/20 accused The Satanic Bible of being responsible for child daycare Satanic ritual abuse, allegations which were new then. [...] I called my father and asked him what his media strategy would be to deal with this catastrophe. Nothing. He didn't care. As far as he was concerned it didn't concern him. It wasn't anything he needed to worry about. He certainly wasn't going out in public to do anything about it. He admitted that many media sources had already contacted him and he was just going to ignore it until it went away. I tried to convince him that this would only get worse if he didn't respond and that he really needed to get someone to answer calls quickly or it would be taken as an admission of guilt or suspicion. Finally he admitted he had no one to deal with interviews or media. I offered to help temporarily until he found someone. This was not what I'd intended to do with my life, I had other plans."[15][16]

From then until her renunciation of the Church of Satan in 1990, Zeena appeared in such nationally syndicated programs as The Phil Donahue Show, Nightline with Ted Koppel, Entertainment Tonight, The Late Show[disambiguation needed], Secrets & Mysteries and the Sally Jessy Raphael Show. The appearances were made at the behest of the Church of Satan as its spokesperson. She did this on behalf of her father Anton LaVey, who was no longer interested in making media appearances, as she stated while being interviewed alongside her husband by televangelist Bob Larson.[17] Zeena became internationally known within the mass media in the 1980s through her active role publicly defending her father's organization against allegations of Satanic ritual abuse and was interviewed in the legendary broadcast of "Devil Worship: Exposing Satan's Underground" released by Geraldo Rivera in 1988.[18] Zeena sat alongside Michael A. Aquino (Temple of Set founder/High Priest), and repeatedly denied the rumors circulating at the time that the Church of Satan was in any way involved with Satanic ritual abuse. She also called the testimony of claimants involved into question, asking them rhetorically why, if people were being forced to give birth to babies for sacrificial rituals, no remains had ever been found.

Toward the end of her time as High Priestess, Zeena also appeared with her then husband Nikolas Schreck (not a member of the COS) in an interview with televangelist Bob Larson, during which they both refuted any Satanic criminal ties, and pressed Bob Larson on his own ideals, stating that it was hypocritical of him to endorse such claims by Christians, pointing out the Christian background of many criminals, and violent acts within Christian history, such as the crusades.[17] In 1990, only a few months after this now famous interview, Zeena resigned from the Church of Satan and renounced LaVeyan Satanism.[6] Zeena's Interview on KJTV with Tony Valdez, 1990, was the last interview she granted as public representative and High Priestess of the Church of Satan before resigning.[19][20]

It goes on to say:

quote:

After leaving the politically motivated media witch-hunt of the U.S. satanic panic, and after she and her husband concluded their collaborative work within the Radio Werewolf magical musical cycle, Zeena declined most interview requests. Her official website states: "Preferring to allow her work to speak for itself and indifferent to public opinion, Zeena has granted only a very few interviews since 1993."[43]

[...]

By the close of the 20th Century, it had been ten years since Zeena permanently renounced the Social Darwinist, Objectivist, Machiavellian Egoism-based LaVeyan satanism within which she was raised. Instead, she pursued ancient religious practices relating to the Egyptian god Seth and Sethianism while continuing to practice traditional tantra and yoga. Her experiences within those two systems, as well as her central role and life's experience in other occult and esoteric milieux, would contribute considerably to the content of her book 'Demons of the Flesh', co-authored with Nikolas Schreck.

She's also a musician, illustrator, producer/director, and author. Interesting woman.

Rabbit Hill has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Aug 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

did dear old dad whine "WHAT'S IN THE BOOOOX" at him?

https://youtu.be/kNF8HxrEB8Y