Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OH MY GOD

He's trying to sell me the bike his uncle loving died on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You know what to do. (Get a death discount)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Legally, he has to tell you if someone died on it :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I want pictures.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You know how you were looking for the perfect vehicle for a possible SA Relay?

I think you have it here.

DEATH SCOOTER 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DEATH SCOOTER 2015

As an aside, how do you text a private number, didn't know that was possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

DEATH SCOOTER 2015

As an aside, how do you text a private number, didn't know that was possible.

I think you can control what people can do via an app.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

Had a shoplifter tonight. He stole a $3 comic book off the rack and dashed out the door.

Too bad he set his refillable theater popcorn bucket down on the counter before he ran for it. These buckets cost like $25 and then you get a full bucket of popcorn for $4 every time you bring it. He sent his friend back in looking for it about a half hour later but I put it in the break room. A good wash and then I will gorge myself on popcorn daily.

A bucket of popcorn for $4 still sounds like a ripoff.

Also, buy the death scooter.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Offer him a quarter of the original price.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Buy the death scooter and use it as the relay vehicle. if you survive on it you are meant to live

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Damnit. The tint on my rear window is starting to bubble - noticed a big rear end wrinkle in it.

Got a quote to remove the tint from the whole car - $85. Think I'll go ahead and strip the front windows myself, then let the pros do the rears (I don't want to gently caress up the defroster grid, and it looks like the tint overlaps the black part on the back side windows). It's getting retinted for sure, but that wrinkle is driving me loving nuts.

Might just get the rear window retinted for now, then the rear sides, then finally the front, as I can afford to.

Mom's a luddite who refuses to give up a physical keyboard on her phone. She has a Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G that's been acting up. Awhile back I put a rooted, debloated, but otherwise stock ROM on it, and that sped it up some, but it's been locking up a lot lately (requiring battery pulls), and generally being really painful to use. She took it to a Samsung service center, they said the software was out of date and wanted :20bux: to update it. I checked it when she got home, it has the latest T-Mobile release available (and 1 version newer than what's on Samsung's own web site). Turns out Cyanogenmod actually has an active development community for that phone for CM11 - the nightly I put on it was dated Sunday, and the thread I found on XDA said that the CM nightlies are more stable than the stock ROM. It's a totally different phone, easily twice as fast at everything.

Tusen Takk posted:

Windows 10 owns for what it is; better performance compared to Win7 and it freed up 200GB on my HDD

Takes longer to boot on my laptop compared to 8.1 (also a little longer to login), but beyond that it seems quick. I really dig the new start menu.

How the gently caress did it free up 200GB? My laptop only has 300GB total, and the upgrade didn't make any real significant difference.

I'm trying to convince mom to upgrade her Win7 machine to 10 - more because the install is so old that it feels like using a Pentium 4 (actually, the P4 in the next room boots up faster, and is quicker overall), despite her desktop being a Sandy Bridge i3 with 4 gigs of RAM. At least that way she wouldn't have to reinstall much, if anything, and it'd give her a fresh start. But she'd lose WMC, and she occasionally watches TV in there. I think I might just put a small cheap TV in there; there's already a cable outlet, and I have a spare digital adapter.

Or I might just use one of my spare 8.1 keys.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

A bucket of popcorn for $4 still sounds like a ripoff.

Also, buy the death scooter.

Cinema popcorn is a rip off.
Pretty sure it is £4 for a bag here

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Shop around on the tint?

$99 will have a car tinted here with suntek that has a lifetime warranty. $40 more to remove old tint.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

freelop posted:

Cinema popcorn is a rip off.
Pretty sure it is £4 for a bag here

I used to pop up multiple (up to 15) 30 gallon trash bags full of the stuff before leaving work for the express purpose of driving out to other theaters and turning them into a winter wonderland.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OK, nerds, why the hell does a HDD show up as one big GPT partition in windows 10 when attached through a USB enclosure thing? (Drive was previously the C: drive in a Win8.1 installation on the same machine.)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Looks like my F40 won't be here in time for my weekend :'(

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Ferrari or X5?

Edit: Damnit, there's no F40 bmw yet? Color me stupid.

bolind fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 5, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

some texas redneck posted:

Got a quote to remove the tint from the whole car - $85.

Just buy a steamer for less than that and do it yourself, then you have a steamer, too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-STEAM-SHARK-II-HARD-SURFACE-STEAM-CLEANER-EP908-EURO-PRO-X-/331608660700?hash=item4d356a9adc That's what I have. It worked on 20-year old tint on the MR2, 4 year old tint on the Juke, 10 year old tint on a truck and 3 year old tint on an Acura.

The more you take the tint off, the easier it gets, but it's really no more complex than "hit it with steam, then slowly peel." Keep the steam mostly on the dry side and it comes off clean.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Drove from melbourne to mildura in one day last week to pick up a catte. (1200km round trip).
Fortunately my dad shared some of the driving and we used his car
he has a mercedes benz a45 amg and holy hell that thing is significantly faster than what im used to (volvo 740 non turbo)
had to pass a truck and by the time we were level with the cab we were doing 190ish.
i used to call him a sellout for buying an auto hatchback but my god that thing is fast as gently caress

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Damnit. The tint on my rear window is starting to bubble - noticed a big rear end wrinkle in it.

Got a quote to remove the tint from the whole car - $85. Think I'll go ahead and strip the front windows myself, then let the pros do the rears (I don't want to gently caress up the defroster grid, and it looks like the tint overlaps the black part on the back side windows). It's getting retinted for sure, but that wrinkle is driving me loving nuts.

Might just get the rear window retinted for now, then the rear sides, then finally the front, as I can afford to.

Mom's a luddite who refuses to give up a physical keyboard on her phone. She has a Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G that's been acting up. Awhile back I put a rooted, debloated, but otherwise stock ROM on it, and that sped it up some, but it's been locking up a lot lately (requiring battery pulls), and generally being really painful to use. She took it to a Samsung service center, they said the software was out of date and wanted :20bux: to update it. I checked it when she got home, it has the latest T-Mobile release available (and 1 version newer than what's on Samsung's own web site). Turns out Cyanogenmod actually has an active development community for that phone for CM11 - the nightly I put on it was dated Sunday, and the thread I found on XDA said that the CM nightlies are more stable than the stock ROM. It's a totally different phone, easily twice as fast at everything.

Takes longer to boot on my laptop compared to 8.1 (also a little longer to login), but beyond that it seems quick. I really dig the new start menu.

How the gently caress did it free up 200GB? My laptop only has 300GB total, and the upgrade didn't make any real significant difference.

I'm trying to convince mom to upgrade her Win7 machine to 10 - more because the install is so old that it feels like using a Pentium 4 (actually, the P4 in the next room boots up faster, and is quicker overall), despite her desktop being a Sandy Bridge i3 with 4 gigs of RAM. At least that way she wouldn't have to reinstall much, if anything, and it'd give her a fresh start. But she'd lose WMC, and she occasionally watches TV in there. I think I might just put a small cheap TV in there; there's already a cable outlet, and I have a spare digital adapter.

Or I might just use one of my spare 8.1 keys.

i just realized that i also deleted my brother's account that he hasn't used in the last five years, so that probably helped too :shobon:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Super Aggro Crag posted:

And a hair salon called Curl Up and Dye.
Every town in America has a hair salon with that name.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

Cage posted:

Every town in America has a hair salon with that name.

Behold 'The Permanent Solution': https://www.google.com/maps/@44.349575,-73.11797,3a,75y,50.73h,83.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suKC2pbJQ2MrjvpHsMzXKQw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Font is either 'Potsdam' or something similar too. They recently changed the signage to include 'Hair Salon' on the end of it.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

mafoose posted:

Shop around on the tint?

$99 will have a car tinted here with suntek that has a lifetime warranty. $40 more to remove old tint.

Where?! I paid $175 for Suntek Carbon and it was one of the cheapest places in town.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CountOfNowhere posted:

Where?! I paid $175 for Suntek Carbon and it was one of the cheapest places in town.

I just made an appointment half an hour ago to have all-round tint put on my Fiesta and it's $355 for ceramic tint. I realize that prices change based on the market, but... your budget tint joint where they use dyed plastic film might be $99, but it's more for anything approaching quality film by a quality installer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sigma X posted:

I just made an appointment half an hour ago to have all-round tint put on my Fiesta and it's $355 for ceramic tint. I realize that prices change based on the market, but... your budget tint joint where they use dyed plastic film might be $99, but it's more for anything approaching quality film by a quality installer.

And quality ceramic film is worth the money. I've got all (!) the windows of my house tinted with a nice ceramic for UV rejection / heat mitigation and not only does it make a huge difference (it kinda messes with your mind, you see light pouring in from a wall of windows, but if you stand in the light, it's not warm, it's just light), it has held up to a lot of dog/kid/etc impact and other nonsense with no problems... not even a scratch yet and it's been ~7 years.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

And quality ceramic film is worth the money. I've got all (!) the windows of my house tinted with a nice ceramic for UV rejection / heat mitigation and not only does it make a huge difference (it kinda messes with your mind, you see light pouring in from a wall of windows, but if you stand in the light, it's not warm, it's just light), it has held up to a lot of dog/kid/etc impact and other nonsense with no problems... not even a scratch yet and it's been ~7 years.

Oh, I know. I know. I've used Huper Optik ceramic in several of my other cars and it's always been great; there's just no installers for that brand in the area. Nothing beats it for UV and heat rejection. I wish they could make it clear with the same efficacy, I'd put it on every window.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know, I don't think there's a proper way to prepare for having two people in your immediate family circle dying from cancer.

I will tell you though, having a minor meltdown and teetering on a full on bought of depression sure is the best way to deal with it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rhyno posted:

I will tell you though, having a minor meltdown and teetering on a full on bought of depression sure is the best way to deal with it.

:(

lovely man. Nothing else to add other than gently caress cancer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sigma X posted:

Oh, I know. I know. I've used Huper Optik ceramic in several of my other cars and it's always been great; there's just no installers for that brand in the area. Nothing beats it for UV and heat rejection. I wish they could make it clear with the same efficacy, I'd put it on every window.

I've got Geoshield Iris 70 and it is almost transparent. The only way you can tell it's tinted at all is when I have the sliding glass door open and you look through 2 panes of tinted glass and you can tell if you look critically. It's not something anyone has noticed that's been in the house... but it does help block heat. Here's something from their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GeoshieldUS/posts/791744460888901

Rhyno posted:

Better solution? More Klondikes.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Giant blunts always helps me ignore work through things. May not be cheaper than a therapist though.. not sure.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

CountOfNowhere posted:

Tucson AZ

Sigma X posted:

You're right, it's no ceramic tint, but it has a lifetime warranty and was installed beautifully. Made a big difference too.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Manager is off for a week starting tomorrow and for whatever reason I'm one of two people filling in for her.

Practically a week off. Just have to answer questions and poo poo.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

You know, I don't think there's a proper way to prepare for having two people in your immediate family circle dying from cancer.

As someone who lost a parent to cancer during adolescence, the only thing that helps is to be there for everyone, let people feel feelings, and do the same for yourself. Grief is different for everyone, but having a community of people to simply be around is a wonderful help.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sigma X posted:

If you didn't go through John Marcum at Sun Shade & Security, you're doing it wrong. He charged like 200 or 250 for the 2 three years ago.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Official new heavyweight champion for gnarliest poo poo I've ever coughed up.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

If you didn't go through John Marcum at Sun Shade & Security, you're doing it wrong. He charged like 200 or 250 for the 2 three years ago.

Sun Protection in Cary. Highly recommended by a number of different people at work.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Official new heavyweight champion for gnarliest poo poo I've ever coughed up.

That is literally a piece of your internal meat. You are rotting apart, inside.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Picked up another spare engine for kastein's Justy. The kickstart should make for a good backup to the electric starter he has now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Aw gently caress you 14 NWS that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I paid $180 for SunTek HP tint but I've had to reschedule like 3 times now cuz of work. All black interior is killer in the summer.

• Locked thread