Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I really love this game, it reminds me a lot of In the Mouth of Madness movie actually. I kind of wish the other three characters you can play as were there from the start though instead of needing to be unlocked, as the last two are pretty interesting to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A good fellow has made a detailed recreation of the P.T. hallway for PC. I believe its only the first run but its get the atmosphere right.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Anyone just feeling kinda iffy about Until Dawn? It's a cool idea but I feel like it will basically be a more horror version of Heavy Rain and the stuff Telltale has been doing.

it's actually going to be goty 2015.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This might be a weird thing to ask, but are there any good horror game lpers? Like, people who play or show off horror games without going into (fake) screaming fits when doing so. Getting scared is fine and all, and even having a facecam isn't the end of the world (for me anyway), but it seems like most videos showing off horror games go the markiplier route, which I don't like that much.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This might be a weird thing to ask, but are there any good horror game lpers? Like, people who play or show off horror games without going into (fake) screaming fits when doing so. Getting scared is fine and all, and even having a facecam isn't the end of the world (for me anyway), but it seems like most videos showing off horror games go the markiplier route, which I don't like that much.

Check out HarshlyCritical on yt. Pretty much a normal dude playing games.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

1stGear posted:

A good fellow has made a detailed recreation of the P.T. hallway for PC. I believe its only the first run but its get the atmosphere right.

In lieu of doing the repeating hallways thing he has stuff change as you go back and forth through the same hallway, a pretty good compromise for someone who just did this over the course of four weekends!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kulkasha posted:

Check out HarshlyCritical on yt. Pretty much a normal dude playing games.

HarshlyCritical's friend MrKravin is also good for the exact same reasons

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Our very own DumbRodent has an excellent Outlast LP.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I recommend Mangaminx, although she can get a bit screechy.

And of course there is always The Archive

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Oh thank god, Konami's doing a new Silent Hill game after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=78&v=_ht4dbyPIcM

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Relin posted:

This is exactly what we deserve.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Relin posted:

Holy poo poo I can't stop laughing

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Could be worse. Could be promising "Erotic Violence."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

They're just showing us poo poo that will be displayed on the video screen. I love how none of these ads show the actual pachinko part of the pachinkoing.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

catlord posted:

Could be worse. Could be promising "Erotic Violence."

Yeah. It can't be worse than new Castlevania but holy poo poo does it look unreal.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012

Relin posted:

No "Erotic Violence" starring Pyramid Head, not interested. gently caress, Silent Hill truly knows how to punish us like it always was supposed to do so.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Missed opportunity on "Erotic Violence" for Norman Reedus.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's true horror right there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So at one point Rare was working on a horror game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5cr3SCx6Dk

You explored by day to collect resources and fortify a location at night that got attacked by waves of monsters.

Rare Replay has some neat documentaries on other scraped projects since Microsoft purchased Rare. It only makes me more upset that Microsoft has used the company to pump out lovely Kinect games for 10 years.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The shambling corpse of Rare is the scariest thing to come out of the game industry in years so props to Microsoft I guess.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Man I love horror games like Outlast but I can only play for like 20 minute sessions before my heart gives out even in day time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You know, I've never actively wished for a company to go bankrupt, but after that Silent Hill video, and reading what their corporate practices are like, I think I'll make an exception for Konami.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wanton Spoon posted:

The Consuming Shadow has been released (see the trailer here). It's a 2D, procedurally generated... adventure-y thing with some action elements. In this game, the horror is relegated more to aesthetics than anything--I have not once encountered a jumpscare, and any tension I experienced came from managing resources poorly rather than being forced into a tight situation by the plot. Still, I think it's immersive in its own way.

I successfully completed one playthrough of it, and what struck me after doing so is I actually had a fair bit of fun with it, even though the gameplay is pretty light. The game draws inspiration from roguelikes in the sense that maps and events are randomly generated, death is permanent, and most of the gameplay involves dying enough times to learn what you should expect from the different enemies and how you should approach certain situations. Once you gain this background knowledge, the game isn't too difficult. It requires a little bit of logic, a little bit of reflexes, and a little bit of patience, and as long as you have those things you'll be able to get through and have it feel fairly rewarding.

It's made by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, creator of the Chzo Mythos, otherwise known as the "X Days an X" series. I've noticed a few nods to that series as I've played, but I don't think it's really intended to be a sequel or anything. It's just some fanservice, it's not necessary to play those other games to understand or enjoy this one (but the namedrops are fun for those of us who have played the series).

It looks like Yahtzee has an actual playthrough with commentary on his Youtube channel, although I haven't watched the video myself to say whether I think it's worth watching all the way through.
would it really kill this dingus to give a nickel to some pixel art crustpunk or something? it's my understanding that the guy's a little deranged, but still, as a paid commentator associated with this industry, you'd think he'd understand the value of crisp visuals

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 5, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It is weird to me to remember that Yahtzee actually makes games, and even decent horror games at that. For some reason I have an image of him being a hack at it, but all the games have been decently good IIRC

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 5, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I wasn't even aware he makes games to begin with.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ekster posted:

I wasn't even aware he makes games to begin with.
He actually made games long before he started reviewing them.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is weird to me to remember that Yahtzee actually makes games, and even decent horror games at that. For some reason u have an image of him being a hack at it, but all the games have been decently good IIRC

His Chzo Mythos adventure games were of wildly varying quality but Trilby's Notes is quite excellent.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

1stGear posted:

His Chzo Mythos adventure games were of wildly varying quality but Trilby's Notes is quite excellent.

I like whichever one was kind of a ripoff of Alien.

That sounds like a criticism, but it's really not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I JUST WANTED TO GO INTO SPACE

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MockingQuantum posted:

I like whichever one was kind of a ripoff of Alien.

That sounds like a criticism, but it's really not.

That one was actually my least favorite, due to a few puzzles that were super-dumb.

Consuming Shadow is a pretty good game, don't be put off by the newgrounds-esque artwork.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That one was actually my least favorite, due to a few puzzles that were super-dumb.

Consuming Shadow is a pretty good game, don't be put off by the newgrounds-esque artwork.

Hmm, I may have to replay it out of curiosity, I don't remember any super-dumb puzzles, but I also knocked out all four of the games in a weekend a few years ago, so I'm a bit foggy on them.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

5 Days a Stranger was solid all the way around. Pulpy haunted house story, great atmosphere, sensible puzzles.

7 Days a Skeptic benefited from the space setting and made an interesting sequel, but had some frustrating bits like the drat towel rack and having to hide in not very intuitive places. The story also has a dumb twist at the end.

Trilby's Notes is honestly one of the best text parser games I've played and does its cosmic horror quite well. The ending was a little too clever for my liking, but that's a personal preference thing.

6 Days a Sacrifice was a ball of bad decisions. Making it wrap up all the story threads at once, setting it in a weird sorta-future, and having your main character be gravely injured for the whole game (and thus either immobile or slow) all detracted from the horror and fun.

Yahtzee is a pretty competent developer, really. His stealth platformer The Art of Theft was quite good in the pre-Gunpoint world.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Quovak did an LP of all the games a while back. Worth taking a read through if you don't want to download some free games yourself.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

1stGear posted:

Agreed. The final puzzle where you're tied up, wounded, the bad guys are about to win... and you solve it by voluntarily "dying" is one of my favorite puzzle solutions in any adventure game, ever.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I got stuck in 5 Days a Stranger at the point where you had to dig up the body in the basement, I just couldn't do it, I think it might have bugged out on me? I tried following what an LP did and nothing worked. Haven't played any of the others. I should probably try again, but I'd need to redownload and start over again, and I don't remember being too enthused about replaying the first chunk again.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There's some free game on Steam right now. Fingerpoints? Getting okay reviews. :v:

e: Fingerbones.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Relin posted:

That loving music is killing me.

RANK UP RANK UP RANK UPRANKUP...

RANK UP!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Morpheus posted:

You know, I've never actively wished for a company to go bankrupt, but after that Silent Hill video, and reading what their corporate practices are like, I think I'll make an exception for Konami.

It's difficult for a front for the Yakuza to go bankrupt :v:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

1stGear posted:

Quovak did an LP of all the games a while back. Worth taking a read through if you don't want to download some free games yourself.

the quovak LP is worth reading because Yahtzee himself came in to give his own views years after making the games

he has some weird ideas especially when you discover that Yahtzee's idea of the greatest horror apparently is people having sex

e: around http://lparchive.org/The-Chzo-Mythos/Update%2033/ (spoilers)

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the quovak LP is worth reading because Yahtzee himself came in to give his own views years after making the games

he has some weird ideas especially when you discover that Yahtzee's idea of the greatest horror apparently is people having sex

e: around http://lparchive.org/The-Chzo-Mythos/Update%2033/ (spoilers)

That scene is great because you are literally loving Jason Voorhees