Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I'd say it's a bit different, we're more like that one relative no one likes and we're just hanging around until the old coot finally croaks so we can inherit all that comedy gold.

CoH goons are like a crazy old cat lady who keeps her husbands mummified remains in her house and talks to him like he's still alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I will stop spreading that CoH server rumor when former CoH players stop getting upset about the very idea.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
SWG got an emulator and that was a huge, complicated mess to be made from ground zero. As many people as I see clinging to CoH's corpse I'm kind of surprised that hasn't happened yet.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Anoia posted:

I will stop spreading that CoH server rumor when former CoH players stop getting upset about the very idea.

This. Even if it's not true (And the idea that the hardware was transplanted wholesale is unlikely.) it's still amazingly funny. Especially if someone played Wildstar and saw what an ungodly mess it turned out to be.

I mentioned the screenshot to a friend way back and they looked like they were about to start foaming at the mouth. CoH players are the best. :allears:

It almost makes me glad I gave my account away when the game sucked in the early years. It must have been like digital crack to provoke that sort of a reaction.

SumYungGui posted:

SWG got an emulator and that was a huge, complicated mess to be made from ground zero. As many people as I see clinging to CoH's corpse I'm kind of surprised that hasn't happened yet.

From checking out the thread every now and then people are busy with it. They're basically recoding the game from scratch. They've got the zones, costume creator, and chat system up. So it's basically just a gigantic city sized lobby for virtual cosplayers at the moment.

Somehow I don't see anyone doing that for Wildstar 2+ years on after it's gone in its current state.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 4, 2015

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Cyster posted:

He had to deal with some fascinating characters:

Tessera was a real hoot. I remember trying to figure out what that "mage union" poo poo on the forums was all about and stumbling onto Tessmage.com's archive of amateurish nude mods for MMOs and long diatribes about how he was fighting against sexual repression by making his mage as nude as possible at all times.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cyster posted:

(I'm one of the three mentioned, and nope, I disappeared then because I moved into dev. Second one wasn't let go either.)

Great guy to know personally, though, and I hope he's doing well out there. I saw just about everyone break in some way (including me) during my time on that team; his was just the most public.

Regarding Micah, the Senior Content Manager position is mainly about getting copy out on the website and not so much about forum interaction. It's good to see him, though, and I trolled him with tree avatars on the first day as is tradition. :v:

This is another good reminder about how often speculation is framed as facts.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Pulsarcat posted:

I'd say it's a bit different, we're more like that one relative no one likes and we're just hanging around until the old coot finally croaks so we can inherit all that comedy gold.

I lurk every page of these Wildstar threads because schadenfreude is wonderful. I had no interest in this game until I read the goon hype thread. Bought it a few days after it came out solely because of that thread. I played for a grand total of five hours before uninstalling. This game is terrible. I mean, it's really just terrible.

I got to the first shiphand mission as an Esper and couldn't beat it solo because I didn't have any damage without standing still, which meant getting hit. So I tried to find a group, but there was no group finder for the shiphands. I went online and saw people starting the first tiny little tendrils of complaints about Espers having to stand in one place to deal any damage. So I changed classes and started a warrior. I think I got to level 10.

The continual in-your-face idiocy of those challenge missions was annoying as gently caress. It meant I had to keep running back and forth and back and forth because I kept missing quests or challenges. And run speed was so slow, and sprint buttons were so dumb, that it was a loving chore just to go get another quest. Quests themselves were mind-numbingly boring, the "story" was uneven, and the stupid writing - the so-called humor - was old after level two. When you're frustrated already, having a game mindlessly bleating CUPCAKE U SUK CUPCAKE LOL RANDOMEE!!! at you every five seconds is untenable.

The game was garbage on every drat level. I didn't make it to a dungeon. I never saw a housing plot. I tried crafting a couple of things and hated the minigames. I never made it to the hardcore parts of the game that other people complain about. The game wouldn't have been saved by a different raid cap. It's a blood-soaked abortion of a game in every possible way. Bad writing, bad design, bad art, bad humor, bad classes, bad factions, bad gameplay. This bad game oozes badness from every bad decision.

But when I went back to the original thread to post a tentative "hey guys I'm not sure this game is the second coming of Christ" I got shouted down by True Believers. 30 or so pages later, and the True Believers were in the minority.

Joke is still on me though; I wasted $60.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 4, 2015

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Cyster posted:

Tseric was a case of someone who had some trouble maintaining the stark wall of separation between what people on the forums thought of him and what he felt. He legitimately set out to try and help people understand things, but the forums ground him down. He had to deal with some fascinating characters:

Remember, remember, the 5th of December
The patch day treason and plot
I see no reason, for MS and Cleavin',
Since Tseric wants us to spec Prot.

The WoW forums were a strange, strange place.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Deki posted:

You're a stronger person than me, since if I had to have that kind of job, it'd probably end in homicide-suicide.

And you're a stronger person than me, since I would probably end up as a serial killer if I had to deal with that kind of poo poo.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Pesterchum posted:

I think that particular gossip ended up being bullshit.

On some level, it's "legitimate", but only because they ended up recycling the actual hosting solution of CoH for Wildstar, including the IP addresses. After the Wildstar retail servers went live, the CoH server uptime trackers began functioning again, and the CoH client actually did behave differently (and got very confused when the server on the other end of the IP wasn't a CoH server). It's extremely unlikely they recycled the actual, ancient servers, but they do seem have used some of the hosting resources.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Libluini posted:

And you're a stronger person than me, since I would probably end up as a serial killer if I had to deal with that kind of poo poo.

I modded for Stratics way back when most MMO forums were dead/over policed or just on garbage software so unofficial forums became the name of the game. That poo poo made me want to strangle people to death and I didn't even have any skin in the "This MMO is poo poo" game. It got worse when a few MMO's (Notably UO) just flat out made stratics their official forums.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rhymenoserous posted:

I modded for Stratics way back when most MMO forums were dead/over policed or just on garbage software so unofficial forums became the name of the game. That poo poo made me want to strangle people to death and I didn't even have any skin in the "This MMO is poo poo" game. It got worse when a few MMO's (Notably UO) just flat out made stratics their official forums.

I remember modding for a forum dedicated to a game called Infantry, and it definitely made me want to strangle people. It absolutely didn't help that the people I was trying to mod were the same people I would encounter daily in-game, so there was always the suggestion that your post got deleted because of something that happened outside of the forum (and not because you were being a dick). I definitely respect anyone who can do that kind of moderation on a daily basis and not completely lose it.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Nemo2342 posted:

I remember modding for a forum dedicated to a game called Infantry, and it definitely made me want to strangle people. It absolutely didn't help that the people I was trying to mod were the same people I would encounter daily in-game, so there was always the suggestion that your post got deleted because of something that happened outside of the forum (and not because you were being a dick). I definitely respect anyone who can do that kind of moderation on a daily basis and not completely lose it.

I bet the nexus mod forums are the most crazy people out there.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

I think Carbine is reading this thread -- the public test realm went up today, and one of the changes is replacing the taxi with instant travel

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

The Chairman posted:

I think Carbine is reading this thread -- the public test realm went up today, and one of the changes is replacing the taxi with instant travel

But where will I get my witty one liners now?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

The Chairman posted:

That's a really good change imo. And not just because of the snarky driver. When I played Wildstar would run relatively perfectly (barring bugged spots) unless I took a taxi, in which case everything would grind to a halt.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

SpaceDrake posted:

On some level, it's "legitimate", but only because they ended up recycling the actual hosting solution of CoH for Wildstar, including the IP addresses. After the Wildstar retail servers went live, the CoH server uptime trackers began functioning again, and the CoH client actually did behave differently (and got very confused when the server on the other end of the IP wasn't a CoH server). It's extremely unlikely they recycled the actual, ancient servers, but they do seem have used some of the hosting resources.

That's entirely different than what people are claiming though?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Not only did wildstar kill CoH, but in wildstar there are many npcs named after famous coh players and npcs who will chatter about how much more they like this world than the last one.

Also if you type /coh in wildstar your character pulls out a cape from their pocket and wipes thier rear end with it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Double Monocle posted:

Not only did wildstar kill CoH, but in wildstar there are many npcs named after famous coh players and npcs who will chatter about how much more they like this world than the last one.

Also if you type /coh in wildstar your character pulls out a cape from their pocket and wipes thier rear end with it.

I wish with all my heart that this is all real.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Deki posted:

That's entirely different than what people are claiming though?

Listen, this may not be Disc World but a good narrative goes a long way and it sounds like something that could be true, isn't super far from the truth, insanely funny and makes people mad at the same time.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Archonex posted:

From checking out the thread every now and then people are busy with it. They're basically recoding the game from scratch. They've got the zones, costume creator, and chat system up. So it's basically just a gigantic city sized lobby for virtual cosplayers at the moment.

To be fair, and I say this as someone who played CoH and probably still would be if it hadn't been shut down, that's basically what CoH was for a lot of people even when it was up. For many the actual game part of the game was a secondary concern at best.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Deki posted:

The real reason COH died is because Paragon studios was incompetent as poo poo and NCsoft was tired of throwing money at them with no real results.

Man, I cannot wait until 10 years from now when people are comfortable talking about what actually happened there. It's a pretty hilarious story.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Pryce posted:

Man, I cannot wait until 10 years from now when people are comfortable talking about what actually happened there. It's a pretty hilarious story.

Tell me more.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
If I remember correctly Paragon got funded for 3 mmos not counting COH, and not a single one came to fruition. COH also had really long gaps between content updates even in it's prime.

I remember reading a lot of other pretty bad poo poo that made the paragon team look really incompetent, but it's kind of hard to find information when every google result returns people bitching about NCsoft.

Deki fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 5, 2015

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Really the worst thing you can say about NCSoft is they consistently give money to idiots who shouldn't be given money. Aside from Arenanet what western dev have produced them something worth while?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Morglon posted:

Tell me more.

Have you ever seen the horror movie "Final Destination?" Someone from Paragon saved Brad McQuaid's life and NCSoft had to cut them out before the curse spread to the rest of the company.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Apparently in the f2p drop they've finally removed almost everything from attunement. Now it's just 4 Dungeons, and the optional boss.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

The reactions to this change are about what one would expect -- naked rage, justifications, and Stockholm syndrome

quote:

Hello dumbing down the game!

quote:

Welcome to the new era or wildstar called casual shitstar, uses to love the game now im hating or more and more

quote:

I haven't played my max level character for a while, but I kind of liked attunement when I did. I'm worried this is a step to bring down some of the hardcore aspect of the game.

quote:

they were a time gate that made sure you gathered enough gold, and kept running dungeons/adventures for more gear. Now people can, and will try to skip all this to go straight to GA and complain how its overtuned/hard/whatever because they don't have to gear and ressources to sustain raid consumables, runing the gears, repair cost, etc.

quote:

lame, I actually enjoy going through attunement. I have yet to complete it, but honestly, it is preparing me for what is to come.

quote:

It's a shame so many people only look towards the goal of raiding instead of also enjoying the journey towards the raid.

quote:

Agreed. I enjoyed attunement and all its side quests. It's not even that difficult to get GA attuned nowadays! The hardest part, and by hardest I mean tedious, is the WB hunts. And even that could be fun!

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
lol at 'IT GOT YOU GEAR' while they nakedly ignore the fact dungeon drops were absolute crap at worst and minimal sidegrades at best.

Oh and Wildstar won some stupid award for 'most anticipated MMO in 2015' in China. I don't think they had a lot of competition.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
What? I remember people bitching that the dungeon drops were actually better than the early raid equivalents.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Deki posted:

What? I remember people bitching that the dungeon drops were actually better than the early raid equivalents.

No. Crafted was better, the dungeon drops were pretty bad.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
There was crafted gear that was better than the dungeon drops from the dungeons required for attunement. Most of the gear in dungeons was horribly itemized and not worth a drat compared to some of the easier poo poo you could get. You did the dungeons to attune for raids, but they didn't gear you for said raids.

e;fb

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I agree with the poster stating something about the journey being more important than the destination. The problem is that the journey and content gating nature of it in WS is both boring and very tedious. I wouldn't care as much if that journey was a lot of fun.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
More reactions to the attunement removal.

quote:

lame, I actually enjoy going through attunement. I have yet to complete it, but honestly, it is preparing me for what is to come.

I wonder how long this person has been playing the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CoffeeBooze posted:

I wonder how long this person has been playing the game.

He wanted to recreate that feel when you are clearing Molten Core when everyone else(1 or 2 guilds on your server) was learning AQ40 and Naxx40.

Just to let some of you know, if you were still learning MC when Naxx40 was released meant you didn't get to enter Naxx in till Naxx20 was released 2 expansions later.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know if wildstar caused a situation like Naxx where that 1 best guild stole the MTs from every other guild on the server as soon as they got half their tier set for one horrible fight?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Byolante posted:

Does anyone know if wildstar caused a situation like Naxx where that 1 best guild stole the MTs from every other guild on the server as soon as they got half their tier set for one horrible fight?

No because none of their fights were setup like that. And there were only 3 guilds doing 40 man content.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Byolante posted:

My guild got to Sappphron? Before it imploded a month before the xpac.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

John Dyne posted:

Oh and Wildstar won some stupid award for 'most anticipated MMO in 2015' in China. I don't think they had a lot of competition.

Considering Moonlight Blade already released, I would put money on Wildstar having zero Chinese MMO competition for that vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Byolante posted:

I'm not certain, but I think one of the top raiding guilds in wildstar outright quit until timetravel finally tweaked the final boss and made it possible to beat.

I want to believe that, anyway. If they were bashing themselves against that boss the whole time then it's just sad.

• Locked thread