Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fossilized Rappy posted:

As someone who has gotten really into GURPS over the past few months, I can say that Unusual Background definitely still exists, but I can't see anything that would indicate bad GMing tied to it. It's usually referred to in books as a go-to advantage for why you get to have fancy powers almost nobody else does.

In my experience, and encounters with it in sourcebooks, it's little more than a handwave tax or a snowflake surcharge. If someone wants to bend the rules a bit and pick up a few more languages or something, he's already paying points for them. If someone wants eyebeams in a game about New York cabbies vs Uber, you ask him to take the cape off and wait for the supers game. In a game where all of the PCs are powered, it's a pointless surcharge: any serious opposition is going to be on the same footing, all of this stuff is supposedly balanced in the first place, and balancing the PCs against mooks is silly. In a campaign where one player wants a weird edge like psi potential or unusual technology, no point tax is going to balance the poo poo he's going to cause.

I thought it was a clever little rule for years, even writing up little variants myself, but after trying to balance things like high-TL equipment vs. super powers, or do much of anything with the basic magic system (which I still like as a concept), I finally realized just how arbitrary the whole thing is, and that no amount of point juggling would actually balance anything past the character sheet totals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I was honestly pretty surprised when GURPS4 came out and still had Unusual Background in it.

Unusual Background posted:

Not every unusual character concept merits an Unusual Background. The GM should only charge points when the character enjoys a tangible benefit. For instance, it would be unusual for a human to be raised by wolves, but unless this gave him special capabilities (such as Speak with Animals), it would be background color, worth 0 points.

Especially when this Perk also shows up in the book barely five pages later:

A "Perk" which is always 1 point posted:

Fur
You have fur. This prevents sunburn. Thicker fur might justify 1-3 levels each of Damage Resistance (p. 46) and Temperature Tolerance (p. 93), while spiky “fur” might grant Spines (p. 88). You must buy these other traits separately.

Which is still a bullshit tax inflicted by a GM who is too gutless to just say "no" or too hidebound by the fact that, welp, this poo poo's in the book so gently caress you.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

In my experience, and encounters with it in sourcebooks, it's little more than a handwave tax or a snowflake surcharge. If someone wants to bend the rules a bit and pick up a few more languages or something, he's already paying points for them. If someone wants eyebeams in a game about New York cabbies vs Uber, you ask him to take the cape off and wait for the supers game. In a game where all of the PCs are powered, it's a pointless surcharge: any serious opposition is going to be on the same footing, all of this stuff is supposedly balanced in the first place, and balancing the PCs against mooks is silly. In a campaign where one player wants a weird edge like psi potential or unusual technology, no point tax is going to balance the poo poo he's going to cause.

I thought it was a clever little rule for years, even writing up little variants myself, but after trying to balance things like high-TL equipment vs. super powers, or do much of anything with the basic magic system (which I still like as a concept), I finally realized just how arbitrary the whole thing is, and that no amount of point juggling would actually balance anything past the character sheet totals.
Yeah, I get what you're saying now, and I can agree with that. I was just thinking you might have seen something more insidious that I'd somehow managed to miss.

Fossilized Rappy fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 4, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Minor grog, from a predictable trainwreck of an RPGnet thread about "What RPG system/setting bores you to tears?"

quote:

Any system that 'gets out of the way.' Let me know if you have something that adds to a game, instead of aspiring to the lofty goal of failing to subtract.
If a game isn't forcing me to recalculate encumbrance penalties on the fly, or continually monitor four different status tracks, why it's barely a game at all!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Yeah, I get what you're saying now, and I can agree with that. I was just thinking you might have seen something more insidious that I'd somehow managed to miss.

Naw, I was just being catty.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

FMguru posted:

Minor grog, from a predictable trainwreck of an RPGnet thread about "What RPG system/setting bores you to tears?"

If a game isn't forcing me to recalculate encumbrance penalties on the fly, or continually monitor four different status tracks, why it's barely a game at all!

Can't this also be looked at as a form of "system matters"? Which is something I agree with.

Some people enjoy playing the game like a game. Having knobs and levers to manipulate while playing is fun for some, others want them out of the way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

starkebn posted:

Can't this also be looked at as a form of "system matters"? Which is something I agree with.

Some people enjoy playing the game like a game. Having knobs and levers to manipulate while playing is fun for some, others want them out of the way.

Grog is about attitude. It's one thing to enjoy the knobs and levers. It's another to flatly state that those that lack them are boring failures.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Advertising your RPG as having a system that "gets out of the way" has always struck me as dumb ad copy buzz-speak anyway, up there with the games that advertise themselves as giving you "TRUE FREEDOM to do whatever you want!" It tells me nothing about what your system is actually good at except maybe being unnoticeable which isn't really a selling point.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Grog is about attitude. It's one thing to enjoy the knobs and levers. It's another to flatly state that those that lack them are boring failures.

True, but I hardly think that's what's going on in that quote. And, the quote comes from a thread asking for opinions.

Don't stop posting grog though, I just can't get enough.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I still can't get over that reaction to that Jedi picture. It's just so strange. Does it make any more sense in context?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I've played enough heavy crunch games to entirely understand games that promise to "get out of the way." The caveat is that the game has to actually be rules lite enough to get out of the way.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

mycot posted:

I still can't get over that reaction to that Jedi picture. It's just so strange. Does it make any more sense in context?

I dunno, makes sense to me. Sperg sees a black girl in his precious nerdtome and starts nitpicking because you'd need to be really dense to think you can just complain about cooties. See also, "Why is my elfgame so POLITICAL now?"

Difference is that one is just a lovely opinion hidden behind a lovely concern troll, but the other one is either blatant lying or latent prosopagnosia.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Crossposting this from the chat thread because of the topic:

On Zak S winning an Ennie:

Helical Nightmares posted:

A Red & Pleasant Land Is a quite original setting. It deserves the awards it got. :smugdog:

Edit: A simple google search turned up this comment by ZacS

http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?p=845684

Adam Jury is a Posthuman Studios member. That's all I know.

Looking for conversations from the other side of the coin on who was there/who left.

Why am I getting all these MMA sites?

Edit: Why the hell am I finding nothing else on this topic but that one site?

It's altogether likely that RPGPundit, as is his won't, is trying to make this a far bigger deal than it actually is. He blogged about it, twice. There were more votes for Zak S's work than there were print copies in existence, which meant a significant number of people that voted for him must have done so without ever having read the book (or read it via :files:). This apparently is just more proof of Zak S's complete and utter dominance as a writer that people are willing to vote for him solely on the strength of the name, and not, you know, because of any other possible agenda.

There is a small bright spot here, as apparently Zak S's antics are enough that at least one other OSR person is finding it abrasive, when normally the community tends to circle its wagons in much the same way political cartoonists do regardless of ideology.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah I was hesitant to post all the RPGsite backpatting going on, but I find the most hilarious thing is-

quote:

Nobody in the hall noticed but Cam Banks and his conservative gamer squad walked out after I won Best Writing.

Yes. Conservative. That is what Cam Banks is. But yes, there's a lot of "oh we don't even care about awards but we hurt people's feelings and that's the important part".

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

In that thread I also found this:

quote:

If voting for Red and Pleasant Land made me a Nazi, then where the gently caress is my snazzy uniform, P08 Luger and MP40?
Always classy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Zak really enjoyed obsessively following this thread.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kibner posted:

If recent Google+ conversations are anything to go by, he still does.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

gradenko_2000 posted:

There is a small bright spot here, as apparently Zak S's antics are enough that at least one other OSR person is finding it abrasive, when normally the community tends to circle its wagons in much the same way political cartoonists do regardless of ideology.

On the other hand, one of the comments on the above link says:

quote:

Ryan Dancey saved D&D. Seriously. Not only was he a critical part of WotC acquisition of TSR, he champions the OGL.

The OGL saved D&D and Dancey was the primary and major force behind it. In all seriousness, if you consider Gygax and Arneson the gaming gods, Dancey is at the very least a patron saint.

I hope he's at Gen Con because I want to shake his hand and thank him.

This bright spot you mention seems so tiny right now it might as well be non-existent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

Wouldn't this thread be behind the paywall? Or does Zak have an account

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Serf posted:

If recent Google+ conversations are anything to go by, he still does.

That should have been present tense but phone posting and didn't notice. I just clicked the link on the thread and noticed he edited his post to mention this thread again (with wrong information, of course). I think he got this one and the chat thread confused with each other.

Grognards.txt and him have about the same level of interest in each other. :v:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Plague of Hats posted:

Especially when this Perk also shows up in the book barely five pages later:

Which is still a bullshit tax inflicted by a GM who is too gutless to just say "no" or too hidebound by the fact that, welp, this poo poo's in the book so gently caress you.
So you have to buy a trait to justify buying another trait? The grog is built into the book?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Halloween Jack posted:

So you have to buy a trait to justify buying another trait? The grog is built into the book?

Even better, poo poo like Damage Resistance and all the other Advantages and widgets talk about in-fiction justification like "you were trained by wizards" or "you have really thick fur" without ever mentioning Unusual Background or "justifying" Perks. The genre-building supplements seem to avoid making use of these asinine taxes. Even in the core book description of Unusual Background, it struggles mightily to justify its own existence. It's so goddamn dumb.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Kibner posted:

I think he got this one and the chat thread confused with each other.

In fairness, I sometimes do too, even when they aren't both posting about the same person.

I guess what I'm saying is, bring in more dog photos. Grogdog for all.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

GURPS is point-buy. The idea behind a point-buy system is, roughly, that you can get equal value from an equal investment in points. The problem with GURPS and its point-buy approach is that the actual value of things is outside the control of the book. In a more specific game or setting, like D&D or Vampire: the Masquium, the value of something can be judged by how much of a benefit it is in the expected way to play the game. You can't really do that in GURPS. The value of Talents and Attributes vary based on how many Skills the GM thinks are relevant, to take but one example. It's not like Vampire: the Requiem, where there's 24 skills, all of which probably have some level of relevance to the nightly dealings of being a goth sex criminal.

GURPS' solution to this kind of issue is, basically, to add a mechanics-legal way to enforce this. "Beam Weapons are pretty powerful and rare in this setting, making the Beam Weapons Skill worth more than ordinary guns. You need to spend extra points to get Beam Weapons. Here's an Unusual Background you can buy to represent that." Playing detectives solving murder mysteries, and one player has the skill to speak to ghosts? That's worth a lot more in a setting where death matters, than in a game where resurrection is commonplace; pay the extra points for an Unusual Background.

It's an inelegant solution. It's an inelegant solution not further helped at all by the fact that the writers themselves often fail to use it "properly", c.f. "Fur".

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
I just can't even imagine having quite that level of interest in what people are saying about you. Angrily barging in every time someone says something vaguely critical of you is a good way to make everyone with any sense hate you, and litters the internet with evidence of how big of an rear end in a top hat you are.

Anyway, here's some grog:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Where does that link regarding RPG.net lead to?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

At a guess, their rule that you aren't allow to deny the experiences of marginalized groups; e.g. "Oh, but [X form of oppression of Y] doesn't actually happen", in the face of group Y talking about their experiences with X.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

LatwPIAT posted:

At a guess, their rule that you aren't allow to deny the experiences of marginalized groups; e.g. "Oh, but [X form of oppression of Y] doesn't actually happen", in the face of group Y talking about their experiences with X.

Yeah the experiences that you can't deny aren't all experiences, just the ones they talk about when it comes to misogyny and the like.

So when a woman says, "Guy X got into an elevator with me and got real close and did creepy-breathing things down my neck, it loving sucked", you're not allowed to respond with "maybe the dude just has asthma and you are the horrible person in this story!"

That sort of stuff happened often enough back in the day that they had to make a rule for it. But of course, the truth isn't nearly as much fun to complain about.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

He's only mad that about the "saved dnd" part and thinks the walkout was a sjw stunt. So it's a pretty dim bright spot.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The screencap was something Tracey Hurley posted to Twitter, and I wasn't able to actually find the Reddit threat, possibly because of the poster deleting it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Guilty Spork posted:

The screencap was something Tracey Hurley posted to Twitter, and I wasn't able to actually find the Reddit threat, possibly because of the poster deleting it.

I found it back when it was first posted and the post itself was on KotakuinAction. The link lead me to this image:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, you don't even need encyclopedic familiarity with RPGnet's rules to be able to guess which ones are getting complained about in posts like those. Ugh.

MORE CATSGROG!!!

quote:

quote:

If more HP doesn't feel like a tangible increase in power then encounters are balanced too rigidly, with not enough player choice in what they take on.

More HP should make the players feel like "alright! now we can go back and gently caress up that dragon we ran away from earlier!" or at least "hey! we're less likely to die before we cross the great steppes now!"

If more HP simply means the next encounter on the railroad will do slightly more damage, then you get the phenomenon of "dead" levels.

Yeah pretty much this. I don't recall anyone caring about dead levels in OD&D or early AD&D. And people did not usually level on a weekly basis. It seems more a function of newer games with balanced encounters, adversaries whose skill and hits are tagged to party level, white room theorizing, with maybe just a tinge of player ennui in those people who are used to getting a new smart phone every 4-6 months with a new app every day and twice on Sundays.

:bahgawd: SOME GIZMO :bahgawd:

An Old Geezer appears!

No, I mean the guy who I guess formerly had that screen name:

quote:

This is something I never heard of until five years ago. I don't know when it became a concern, but it certainly was not one 1972-1985.

quote:

Very good, sir. I simply would have said "Waa waa waa loving waa," but your way is far more eloquent.

quote:

The entire concept of "dead" levels is loving rubbish invented by attention deficit wankers that don't bother roleplaying and only care about new and different buttons to mash on their character console.

Back in my day leveling was something that just happened as you played, not the reason for playing in the first place.

quote:

Think the whinning about "dead levels" is bad? Over on BGG/RPGG a couple of months ago there was a thread complaining about the "dead levels" in... stat bonuses in D&D and how this needed to be "fixed". Jesus, and various other deities and demigods, wept.

Then there was someone bitching about ability score improvement or an extra attack "not really being anything." and so on and so on ad nausium.

quote:

The dead level concept is tied directly to games that focus on what the PCs CAN do mechanically instead of what the PCs ARE doing in the campaign.

Part of this issue isn't strictly mechanically related. It has more to do with games that feature passive spoon-fed players who wait for a mission to come to them like a cow being milked instead of proactively taking action on behalf of their characters. Being herded from encounter to encounter, the players have little agency in the game world, and, as a consequence, they often don't even give so much as a single gently caress about it.

What they DO have agency over is their build and mechanical gadgets, so that is where their care and concerns lie. The real game being played is one of "what do I get next?" Getting stuff is the one thing to be cared about because the supposed meat of the game (aka the adventure) offers no opportunities for control.

:bahgawd: SOME COWS (!?) :bahgawd:

quote:

The concept and belief in "Dead Levels" are the result of viewing the progress of a character through the game as an isolated series of mechanics.

There are many ways to treat reward and a character who is more than numbers on a page has goals. A level is only "Dead" if the player sees no value in the change.

Since the previous level, how much money has the character obtained? Can they afford better armor, weapons or other gear?
Have they made alliances that gives them access to the resources of the powers that be in their area?
Has their reputation increased so they can reap the many benefits available in their setting?
Did they acquire magic, which could give them abilities beyond any level reward?

If your answer to that is "Yeah all that is great, but mechanically I'm exactly the same except a few HPs." then then issue isn't the system, it's your GM or your perception.

quote:

The problem for OSR games is that to give every class some new ability every level, for many classes you either have to create a bunch of new abilities that are something that only someone with that ability could have any chance of success with or you have to take abilities that realistically anyone should be able to try with some chance of success and declare them impossible unless you have the special ability. Both are against the sensibilities of most players and GMs interested in OSR style games. Fortunately, most people interested in OSR games don't seem to notice, let alone care about dead levels.

Just, wow, a stunning lack of creativity. Jesus.

quote:

Never had a problem with "Dead Levels" in my games. It's a silly term to me.

Most of my games have so much poo poo going on, levels, and "powerz" and stuff like that are pretty secondary to the game.

Those things, imo, should be nothing more than a mechanical expression of what transpires in the game. Presumeably your setting allows for whatever these classes offer in terms of "powers" and your levels represent the learning of those achievements.

Of course if you run a "DING! I just leveled I have new abilities!" style of game... then nothing I say will make a whole lot of sense, as we're playing different games.

:psyduck: These people who give so much of a poo poo about the precise contents of their dusty old games give no shits about those contents!? :psyduck:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

quote:

From what I've gathered so far, FAR WEST is mostly done by now. Some minor things still need proofing and perhaps even fixing, but all the texts should be written, and even the layout should almost be final.

—posted on the fifth day of August in the year 2015 of the Common Era

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
The discussion of in-character versus out-of-character knowledge and the Common Sense merit(s) has passed, but I just wanted to add that making players pay a tax for playing in a fictional setting they know little about is super messed up. However, Vampire the Requiem had one good application of it: a Daeva bloodline known as the Asnam, who genuinely believed they were gods manifested on earth, and had the best clan weakness ever. If you play an Asnam, once a session, the GM is obliged to completely lie to you about the wisdom or your chance of success with a course of action. Because your character is just that fuckin' egotistical.

"He seems tough. Could I take this guy?"
"Definitely. Piece of cake."

"Can I make it to that other rooftop?"
"With a running start? Easily."

"What an rear end in a top hat. I want to heckle the Prince's speech."
"Oh, man. Everyone will think you're so funny for doing that."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

GURPS' solution to this kind of issue is, basically, to add a mechanics-legal way to enforce this. "Beam Weapons are pretty powerful and rare in this setting, making the Beam Weapons Skill worth more than ordinary guns. You need to spend extra points to get Beam Weapons. Here's an Unusual Background you can buy to represent that." Playing detectives solving murder mysteries, and one player has the skill to speak to ghosts? That's worth a lot more in a setting where death matters, than in a game where resurrection is commonplace; pay the extra points for an Unusual Background.

It's an inelegant solution. It's an inelegant solution not further helped at all by the fact that the writers themselves often fail to use it "properly", c.f. "Fur".
That's actually much much better than what a lot of games do, where the skill list is insanely long and insanely specific because it's more "realistic" to divide Science and Art into five sub-skills. I hate that. It encourages a dynamic where players are supposed to be shamed into spending points on skills they may never use. Sometimes books even encourage this instead of fixing their loving skill system.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's actually much much better than what a lot of games do, where the skill list is insanely long and insanely specific because it's more "realistic" to divide Science and Art into five sub-skills. I hate that. It encourages a dynamic where players are supposed to be shamed into spending points on skills they may never use. Sometimes books even encourage this instead of fixing their loving skill system.

Oh, don't worry, GURPS does that too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Oh, don't worry, GURPS does that too.
It does have a compensation in that if you're playing with a lot of points, people can get good value for a shitload of skills with half a character point or can just rely on defaults. However, the system itself is still pretty clunky, that's more of a compensatory mechanism in the creaky old box.

Maybe they need a new, sleek, low impact, clutter free GURPS. in the cloud. iGURPS.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, GURPS does that too. It's just that Unusual Background exists as a tax on characters having skills and abilities that aren't normally found in a particular setting. Being a Level 3 Telepath in our modern 21st century world is worth a lot more points that being a Level 3 Telepath in a 27th century SF setting where psionics are common (as are psi-cops and psi-shields), so you have to pay 20 extra points to be a telepath in a 21st century spy campaign (assuming the GM lets you at all). It's really kind of a weird kludge that runs against the rest of the GURPS chargen system where everything has a precise and contextless cost - unless your GM decides that your character is a little too out-of-band for his setting, in which case he hits you with a 5 or 10 or 20 point penalty. The chargen system is so calculated and rigid, and then there's this thing where the GM can just arbitrarily fine you however many points just because (that isn't particularly well explained) and it creates a real dissonance.

Most GURPS groups I've played with have ignored the rule and just make their characters to follow the GM's campaign frame (it's not like GURPS lacks for character options, after all). But the rule is there if the GM wants to allow you to play a hidden Atlantean sorceror masquerading as a minor Victorian noble or something.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
This sounds more like a dysfunctional aid to GMs who are too chickenshit to say "I don't care if ninja technically existed in the 1790s, you can't play one in our French Revolution game." Now you can say "Whuh-whuh-well you have to p-p-pay 20 points! You'd better not!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, that's like...either you're playing a game where it's okay for PCs to be telepaths, or you aren't. Make up your mind!

• Locked thread