Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks, I think resetting to defaults should be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
New laptop? SSL issues? It couldn't be Superfish, could it?

Edit: Ahh, I thought I read something about Firefox specifically revoking it. But yeah, it was months back, so I'm probably misremembering.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 30, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xamphear posted:

New laptop? SSL issues? It couldn't be Superfish, could it?

Superfish would make all the things show up s valid certs due to its own built in certificate.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

Probably the easiest way to do this is to install DOM Inspector. I used to use it a lot for Thunderbird development; it's a great way of figuring out how a UI element is defined/styled.

(If you want to go full-nerd, you can use the remote debugging protocol too, but I think that involves running two separate Firefox instances, which is probably more complex than it's worth for farting around with userChrome.)

Had a go at this, but can't figure out how to make it show UI elements, only elements in webpages. Help?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Lum posted:

Had a go at this, but can't figure out how to make it show UI elements, only elements in webpages. Help?
File > Inspect Chrome Document > Select the browser window (when in doubt, hover over each item and pick one where the tooltip ends with browser.xul).

Then you can use the "find a node to inspect by clicking on it" feature on the top left and click on the tabs/panel to figure out the element ids and class names.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Lum posted:

Install this along with DOM Inspector. Hold shift, right click on the element (where ever it might be) you want to inspect. Voila!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I really want to like uMatrix but starting all over with the "which of these domains might I need to allow to get this or that to load" game might be more than I care for.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Running Firefox Developer Edition 41 x64 on Windows 10 x64 - it's not detecting Silverlight. Works fine in Chrome. Anyone else with this problem?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Isnt silverlight eol?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Acer Pilot posted:

Isnt silverlight eol?

If it is that kind of sucks because I don't think that Netflix has moved to Mozilla's HTML5 DRM thing yet.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

RZApublican posted:

If it is that kind of sucks because I don't think that Netflix has moved to Mozilla's HTML5 DRM thing yet.
Didn't they move a year ago? I'm pretty sure I haven't had Silverlight installed on any of the systems I've been watching Netflix on.

Edit: Yeah I guess I'm wrong it isn't working on my work machine without Silverlight right now.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 4, 2015

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alereon posted:

Didn't they move a year ago? I'm pretty sure I haven't had Silverlight installed on any of the systems I've been watching Netflix on.

That's odd, Netflix asks me to install Silverlight on both Firefox and Chrome (x64 releases of both).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Might be regional, Netflix still uses Silverlight for me though with my region set to US.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Read posted:

Might be regional, Netflix still uses Silverlight for me though with my region set to US.

Says on the Netflix website that Firefox isn't supported for HTML 5. Edge is. Odd.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RZApublican posted:

They haven't, and I think they're the only browser that still requires silverlight (maybe Chrome too?).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

computer parts posted:

They haven't, and I think they're the only browser that still requires silverlight (maybe Chrome too?).

Full list of supported platforms is here, and they seem to be dragging their feet with Firefox. Then again, Firefox still has a lot to do to get to where Netflix likely needs them to be.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So since upgrading to win10 and switching to firefox (because chrome memory leaks like a motherfucker), I'm having some forums issues. When I open a thread, even when it's one I've never read before, the entire thread is marked as read already between clicking it and it opening. Jumping to first unread opens the right page, but just scrolls to the bottom. This is only happening on firefox, chrome still works fine, but it's such a memory hog :(

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Using a lot of memory doesn't mean a process has a memory leak. Are you sure you're not just confusing the overhead from Chrome's process architecture with a leak? Chrome uses all that memory for good reason (and people generally have enough spare RAM it doesn't matter, RAM that's not being used is not useful RAM).

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Read posted:

Using a lot of memory doesn't mean a process has a memory leak. Are you sure you're not just confusing the overhead from Chrome's process architecture with a leak? Chrome uses all that memory for good reason (and people generally have enough spare RAM it doesn't matter, RAM that's not being used is not useful RAM).

Well, it might not be a leak, but I've only got 6 gigs (gonna upgrade once I find a new job), and it uses like 3-4 gigs, which means I can't use it to, say, stream while playing something else like I can with firefox.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Latest Dev build just started enforcing addon signing, so of course like half the addons I depend on were immediately disabled.

*sigh*, I want to leave this enabled because it's trying to do the right thing but there's no way I can use this browser like this. Disabled addon signing requirement via about:config :(

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Tivac posted:

Latest Dev build just started enforcing addon signing, so of course like half the addons I depend on were immediately disabled.

Weird that they're not already signed; are you downloading add-ons from somewhere other than AMO?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Avenging Dentist posted:

Weird that they're not already signed; are you downloading add-ons from somewhere other than AMO?

HTTPS Everywhere, Privacy Badger, SALR, & Menu Editor were all disabled. Didn't try reinstalling from AMO because some of those are betas.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I'm waiting for the AMO admins to get back to me so I (hopefully) won't have to change the extension's ID.

e: It probably goes without saying but this whole thing is really annoying.
e2: SALR passes all automated validation checks otherwise. :toot:

astral fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 7, 2015

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
What's the best option for youtube downloading in firefox?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Read posted:

If it pisses away tons of ram, and never releases it, for tabs I've not access in days, or for tabs I close, it may as well be. It uses double the ram of FF for the same number of tabs.

On 16GB system you're OK for a while unless you open hundreds of tabs. On 4GB, which many people have, it dies quick.

FF + the unload tab extension means I can browse freely without going above 1Gb most of the time.

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed

Newf posted:

What's the best option for youtube downloading in firefox?

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my 24 gb of ram are giggling at this ram conversation

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Celexi posted:

my 24 gb of ram are giggling at this ram conversation

Yeah and I could use over 32GB of RAM with chrome if I don't install an extension to unload tabs. I have hundreds because I don't understand closing browser tabs or doing anything except opening more tabs "for later."

In Firefox I have to restart my browser somewhat frequently because I often push it into a state where the garbage collector stops performing. If I don't do something intensive, like opening a bunch of YouTube tabs at over on top of my already bloated browsing habits, it doesn't happen because the GC can keep up.

Can't wait for 64 bit Firefox, even if it's like six months behind by now.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lmao that is some pretty bad tab hoarding

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Lprsti99 posted:

So since upgrading to win10 and switching to firefox (because chrome memory leaks like a motherfucker), I'm having some forums issues. When I open a thread, even when it's one I've never read before, the entire thread is marked as read already between clicking it and it opening. Jumping to first unread opens the right page, but just scrolls to the bottom. This is only happening on firefox, chrome still works fine, but it's such a memory hog :(

So, this got sidetracked determining if I used the exact correct term for why I switched from chrome. Does anyone have an idea why the forums would be acting up for me?

Actually, it turns out that opening a thread will randomly mark other threads read too, for some reason :psyduck:.

E: Never mind, no idea what was causing it, but refreshing firefox through their site seems to have sorted it.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 7, 2015

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

This is working well, thank you.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Celexi posted:

lmao that is some pretty bad tab hoarding

I have tab groups I haven't opened for over a year.

I am living the dream.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I've been using this addon and I've noticed that it fucks up downloading ogg audio-only for some odd reason. I'm not sure why, my ffmpeg is up to date (though I'm not sure if it even uses it, and I've had no trouble pulling ogg audio from the webms myself), but directly downloading ogg audio with this addon produces terrible blips in the sound.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

I have tab groups I haven't opened for over a year.

I am living the dream.

I did too, but I closed them before realizing that my unloader addon needed to be updated. Sigh. :(

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

Yesterday morning, August 5, a Firefox user informed us that an advertisement on a news site in Russia was serving a Firefox exploit that searched for sensitive files and uploaded them to a server that appears to be in Ukraine.
This morning Mozilla released security updates that fix the vulnerability. All Firefox users are urged to update to Firefox 39.0.3. The fix has also been shipped in Firefox ESR 38.1.1.

patch your foxes

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Possibly since updating to 39.0.3, I can't seem to detach tabs anymore. Its the wierdest thing! Anyone else run into something like this recently? I'm fairly light on extensions (Firebug, Ghostery, Privacy Badger), and not really sure what to try outside of drastic 'flatten profile' type things. I *am* running Windows 10, but Firefox has been playing nice.

(Hell, Firefox has been running *great* for me in 10. This little niggle aside, it feels faster and more responsive. Maybe its just in my head, or perhaps the upgrade just cleared some old cruft out)

magimix fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 7, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just tried pulling a tab out and it went into a new window just fine. Using Windows 10 as well.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

hooah posted:

I just tried pulling a tab out and it went into a new window just fine. Using Windows 10 as well.

Thanks for that. Now I know it's worth pursuing certain other options. (So weird though! Like, what a strange thing to have stop working :psyduck:).

Edit: This just gets all the stranger... I had Facebook open, and was typing a message to someone via the chat thing. The screen flashed, there was 'boing' noise, my message vanished mid-sentence. *But*, mouse-scope behaviour on that page changed, and... I can detach tabs again. What the gently caress is even going on :psyduck:

And for the record, I *did* do stuff like close my browser. So loving wierd. But whatever. I'm too busy having a tab-detach-party :stare:

magimix fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 7, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why can't I see most of the buttons on the new YouTube player when it's embedded?

I've tried enabling everything Google/YT-related in uMatrix as well as completely disabling uMatrix and uBlock, but no luck. Everything's peachy on YouTube proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I can see the buttons just fine on the new YouTube player. Do you have any addons installed like Youtube Center?