Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My first time playing in an Evil biome and things are quite.. interesting. Undead animals will roam on the surface, but thankfully if left undisturbed they will migrate off the map after awhile. I've also got creeping mists, but so far that's not an issue because the undead it buffs will still migrate away from the fort after some time. The problem comes from the caverns. Living creatures will spawn and work their way through the caverns, but unfortunately a GCS killed a blind cave ogre and now the dead walk in the depths as the list of creatures that wander in and get slaughtered grows longer. There are a few things I'd like to know, though...

Do undead building destroyers show the same amount of interest in destroying buildings as their living counterparts? Would I be able to lure the undead Giant Cave Spider into cage traps with a door surrounded by traps? Unfortunately the GCS seems content to just hang on a wall near its last victim, and shows little interest in just wandering around the caverns. I suppose I could make a hallway FULL of cage traps and try to lure it in with a Gelder volunteer...

Also, I want to confirm this, but are creatures unable to climb smoothed walls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Unless it's changed, smoothed natural walls as well as constructed walls made out of blocks (not raw materials) are unclimbable. No idea what to do about your undead problem though, good luck!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Playing Rimworld for the first time (thanks to the recommendation of thread) makes me realize that I am bad at Dwarf Fortress because my mind just can't track how fast things are going. It would be nice to have time controls, but it doesn't really work that way other than single time frame skips.

Playing with original ACII still makes me feel like Neo tho

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not quite time controls but you can fiddle with the settings and change the FPS cap to adjust the game speed.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Moridin920 posted:

you can fiddle with the settings and change the FPS cap to adjust the game speed.

Or you could embark to a nice forest meadow, with a majestic waterfall and a rich fauna of the avian variety, and let the game do all that for you. :cheeky:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Make sure it has a nice temperate climate with a range of local temperatures and weather, too.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone who plays the Masterwork mod have any recommendations what to turn on in the Reborn version? and dont say succubuses

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh, poo poo. Mifki figured out how to invoke Legends mode mid-game.

mifki posted:

Did you know it's possible to do

code:
w=dfhack.gui.getCurViewscreen() ; w.child=df.viewscreen_legendsst:new() ; dfhack.gui.getCurViewscreen().parent=w
and get a fully functional Legends screen? There was couple question about how to get more info about outer world recently. The only thing you can't use ESC to close the screen, instead, use

code:
dfhack.gui.getCurViewscreen().breakdown_level=2
Someone needs to make a convenient script, if there's no already.

Now someone just needs to wrap those lua strands into a proper run-it-forget-it script and we're golden.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That bodes really well for future DF LPs!

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Legends Mode makes me super-anxious because every time I generate a new world, I just know there's a juicy story tucked away in the hundreds of entries that I'll never see.

Then I decide I don't like the embark sites and just dispose of that world entirely!

All those tales lost, like... tears, in lag-inducing rain. :qq:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My dwarves keep climbing on top of constructed walls and not coming down. They just stand around up there for a while, sometimes they jump down, sometimes they climb in circles hanging over the edges of my 10 level tower until they get tired and fall to their deaths. Its frustrating.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
your game probably developed some hardcore dwarven parkour

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
When they dodge they can dodge up, and get stuck and eventually die of thirst/starvation. Also dudes that are trying to bring animals to pens can climb up trees and become stuck, and fruit pickers that are up in a tree when some other fucker comes along and steals their ladder. Needs a little work.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FutonForensic posted:

Legends Mode makes me super-anxious because every time I generate a new world, I just know there's a juicy story tucked away in the hundreds of entries that I'll never see.

Then I decide I don't like the embark sites and just dispose of that world entirely!

All those tales lost, like... tears, in lag-inducing rain. :qq:

whenever I make a new world I load it up in Legends Viewer after getting terrain I like to see what cool poo poo there is and if there is nothing good I gen a new one. Usually I just look at historical figures sorted by kills, battles/wars, things of that nature. I like it when the civ I am going to play has a long unbroken lineage of rulers.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Reading legends is great. The game truly excels at providing juuust enough info that your mind can easily create filler for gaps like character motivation.

Someone needs to make an app for tablets that will let me export and read legends while I poop :colbert:

Edit: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.zweistein.android.legendsviewer yesssss :getin:

Although, that only works for my phone. My tablet is Win8. :smith: I guess I'll just have to use Legends Viewer or World Viewer. Hopefully they play nice with touchscreen input.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 3, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I made a fort in a world that saw dwarves wiped out as a civilization 500 years ago. There's still some dwarves here and there that spread in the diaspora after the last refuge fell but humans and elves rule the world. The war between the dwarf civ and the human civ is still ongoing but the dwarves have no sites left.

7 years in and no humans have shown up. A couple goblin raids but that's it.

I just want to slaughter humans :argh:

The first few years I had 'No outpost liaison? Curious...' but at some point I got one and when I looked in Legends Mode apparently some dwarf declared himself king in some outlying hillock. There's like 14 other dwarves there with him. I keep waiting for the liaison to tell me the hillocks got wiped out but for the last 4 years it's just been 'the world is the same as ever.' Eventually he'll move to my fort I guess.

Gonna make an adventurer and outfit him with the best adamant my fort has to offer before killing some human nobles in adventure mode pretty soon. Is it possible to take a site over in the name of your civ or does it automatically create a new adventurer genned civ when you do that?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 3, 2015

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve

scamtank posted:

Oh, poo poo. Mifki figured out how to invoke Legends mode mid-game.

Now someone just needs to wrap those lua strands into a proper run-it-forget-it script and we're golden.

we need to make this mifki fella immortal. ASAP!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there some way to kick merchants out of your trade depot without effectively seizing all of their stuff? The Dwarf caravan has been here the entire winter now.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I look forward to being able to create a bard, invent parkour, and start writing really good songs about how awesome it is climbing things, infect all the civilisations with climbing and come back 200 years later for the entire world to be broken dieing on the ground.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

alternatively every civilization will have developed a complex aerial ballet performed atop granite pillars over a pit of magma with 23 musicians accompanying the dancers through a symphony in 5 movements

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

alternatively every civilization will have developed a complex aerial ballet performed atop granite pillars over a pit of magma with 23 musicians accompanying the dancers through a symphony in 5 movements

I am also 100% ok with this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dwarven parkour would be great if it prevented my guys from dying from a 2-z level fall like they occasionally do

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GreyPowerVan posted:

Dwarven parkour would be great if it prevented my guys from dying from a 2-z level fall like they occasionally do

You try falling down the stairs while singlehandedly hauling an entire stone cabinet

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You try falling down the stairs while singlehandedly hauling an entire stone cabinet

Thats just another Tuesday for me, working retail.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

Thats just another Tuesday for me, working retail.

Leal is quite disgruntled recently. He has been satisfied at work lately, he has complained of a lack of wheelbarrows lately, he has admired a fine cabinet recently, he has admired a finely crafted staircase recently, he has admired a finely crafted wall, he has admired a finely engraved step, he has admired a finely crafted roof, he has admired a finely engraved step, he has admired a finely crafted wall.
His head is dented.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Seems legit.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Speaking of turning into a monster, it's going to be a bit easier in the next version:

Toady posted:

Toady One I filled my fortress's temple with statues and tantruming dwarves to test out the desecration code. After fixing up a bug with tantrums that stopped them from toppling the statues, it worked out pretty much as hoped... one werepanda, one weretortoise, one wereskink, and two vampires. It wasn't a full moon, so I had to wait to see the werebeasts, but the new vampires didn't have secret identities, so they showed up immediately as red monsters. One of my miners killed one with a pick axe, though I'm not really sure if it was over the vampireness or not. There are obviously a lot of ways this could go, and right now the game is just using the unsubtle easy one. We'll see if there's some hiding of details in some cases, but we might not get to it for this time.

I also ensured that the player can be cursed in the default town temples as well as retired player temples.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Towns beset by plague of adventurers desecrating temples.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
"One of my miners killed one with a pick axe, though I'm not really sure if it was over the vampireness or not. "

Did what I wanted but I think the dwarf had an alterior motive.

Dwarf Fortress in a nutshell.

Although this begs the question if a Dwarf operated a ballista to topple one of the temple statues, who would be cursed? Dwarf or ballista?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

Although this begs the question if a Dwarf operated a ballista to topple one of the temple statues, who would be cursed? Dwarf or ballista?

Cursed Ballista, turns into a Wagon every new moon.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Thats a big thing actually, you build temples to keep dwarves happy, but Urist has a bad day and topples an idol. Suddenly, instead of a angry dwarf, you have werewolf loose in the centre of your fortress.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

Thats a big thing actually, you build temples to keep dwarves happy, but Urist has a bad day and topples an idol. Suddenly, instead of a angry dwarf, you have werewolf loose in the centre of your fortress.

The temple is the dining hall :devil:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Helical Nightmares posted:

The temple is the dining hall :devil:

Of Course! It saves travel time. Its also right above the hospitable and the main hab area! (well away from the noisy barracks of course.)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Well you wouldn't know he got cursed until the next full moon. So he'll probably hulk out in the middle of your dining hall or during trade negotiations or something equally unpleasant.

E: be a hell of a way to tell the elf diplomat to gently caress off though!

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 5, 2015

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Started a new fortress for the first time in a year. Wereracoon entered from the map edge during my first winter and I was very ill-prepared for any hostiles. Killed 7 dwarves before he was put down. A couple dwarves were sent to a quickly made hospital.

Next full moon, they turn and kill quite a few dwarves each, sent another 6 to the hospital.

Each full moon the Mayor died and was replaced. I like to think each Mayor was trying to console the berserking werecreatures.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Monthly sacrifice of noble blood to appease the beast. :black101:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Anybody here play Maia? I backed it on Kickstarter and then couldn't get it to work on my computer (lol awesome) and I'm curious how it turned out. Also I never hear about it in DF-lite conversations, probably because it costs money, but hey something to be aware of.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Muscle Tracer posted:

Anybody here play Maia? I backed it on Kickstarter and then couldn't get it to work on my computer (lol awesome) and I'm curious how it turned out. Also I never hear about it in DF-lite conversations, probably because it costs money, but hey something to be aware of.

Hm. Backed it, tried an early build once, forgot all about it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually played it too.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Ghostwoods posted:

Hm. Backed it, tried an early build once, forgot all about it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone actually played it too.

I'm actually going to go and play the latest build right now. It's still in alpha, but I'm definitely seeing the signs of a good, DF-y project. The latest build apparently has the dreaded FEELS baked in now, along with Sanity, and the monsters now actually explore and patrol areas... Which may turn out to be a problem. Research is in the game (In a very basic way right now, but it's in), as is power management, and I can also confirm that the game has had at least one bug in its dev history that's also very DF-like (PC Gamer, for example, mentioned Chickens killing themselves in lava vents because they were programmed to find the warmest place to roost, and two versions ago, earthquakes happened with distressing frequency.)

Basically, right now, it's definitely still alpha, but it's also definitely showing promise. I'll try and stream the latest build around 1AM tonight GMT, although it's still a lil' resource intensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Muscle Tracer posted:

This looks fascinating, thanks for mentioning it.