Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Freudian slippers posted:

After reading this thread I decided not to be a dumb pubbie, and won a match yesterday by capping all by myself :downs:

E: It actually took 2-3 minutes. I murdered their carrier who was chilling in the cap, but his now homeless planes kept attacking me and resetting my capping progress. Luckily, none of his teammates cared until it was too late.

Wait a minute.......

I thought that when you killed the Carrier the planes just fly round doing nothing?? If I ever get that dumb arse "kill 8 planes in a game" mission I normally wait for a carrier to die then if I am close enough, just go over and mop up the remaining planes and I have never been attacked yet doing this??

Have I just been retardedly lucky in this respect or is it that the planes don't attack as they have dropped their load and come back to the non-existent carrier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kresher
Sep 11, 2001
Permanent Patient

Burt posted:

Wait a minute.......

I thought that when you killed the Carrier the planes just fly round doing nothing?? If I ever get that dumb arse "kill 8 planes in a game" mission I normally wait for a carrier to die then if I am close enough, just go over and mop up the remaining planes and I have never been attacked yet doing this??

Have I just been retardedly lucky in this respect or is it that the planes don't attack as they have dropped their load and come back to the non-existent carrier?

No, you are right.

The only explanation for what Burt has told us to happen is that the CV player ordered his planes (probably dive bombers) to attack him before dying.

The planes will execute the last order given to them, even if the CV itself is dead.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Wow, the Bogue is pretty rear end. Either you take the 2 squads to have a fighter and a TB, or you go full "I don't like EXP" and do double fighter or "I don't like having planes" and 2 DB 1 TB.
I'm still winning most of my games, though. Getting unopposed in the strike loadout typically ends in carnage. Sky cancer...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm having a hard time with the Pensacola. I'm still stock at this point and re training 50% exp back up, so I know part of it is growing pains, but still... Guns turn much slower, feels like I get outranged by everything, citadeled up the wazoo, not even the stock AA is very good!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Guys I'm not sure how you expect a battleship to close distance with cruisers as a solution to kiting, because you really can't do that unless they choose not to kite you. The problem is that cruisers currently enjoy gun fight superiority at long range and often very short range (torp range), in combination with notably higher speeds that allow them to control the range of a fight. If a cruiser doesn't want to fight you at 8km there is absolutely nothing you as a BB player can do about it. Your team may be able to, but not you.

It's pretty absurd anyways to have cruisers ruining battleships in long range gun duels of all things. But here we are in a game where the solution to floating slabs of thick armor is small guns firing HE-frag.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Aug 5, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Panfilo posted:

I'm having a hard time with the Pensacola. I'm still stock at this point and re training 50% exp back up, so I know part of it is growing pains, but still... Guns turn much slower, feels like I get outranged by everything, citadeled up the wazoo, not even the stock AA is very good!

Just hold on untill you can afford the gun upgrade.
With 2 more barrels, 15sec less turn time and good AA it's a good ship.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

Burt posted:

Wait a minute.......

Carrier planes will still execute actions given before the carrier sinks.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Just had a match in my South Carolina (grinding for the Wyoming is pretty terrible...) where a Furutaka decided to close with me, I'm guessing for a torpedo run, but showed it's broadside AND got within range of my secondaries.

I wish more cruisers would just run straight up to me like that...

EDIT: There should be a way for MM to prevent a battle where one team is 8 DDs and some fast cruisers vs. a team of BB's.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Had a few recent games in my Ranger where CL players were really smart. There were 3 Atlanta's and about that many Cleveland's forming a screen about 6km apart but maneuvering around to avoid torpedoes. Any direction I sent my planes one of them would pop their AA ability and shred my bombers. One game I think I managed all of one bomb hit the entire game because I couldn't hit anything or get close to their BBs with my planes. And forget about it if I'm matched up against a Hiryu which can easily overwhelm me.

As much as people complain about Bogue at least it doesn't have to deal with nearly as much AA in its tier and isn't as inferior to its IJN counterpart.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Devorum posted:

Just had a match in my South Carolina (grinding for the Wyoming is pretty terrible...) where a Furutaka decided to close with me, I'm guessing for a torpedo run, but showed it's broadside AND got within range of my secondaries.

I wish more cruisers would just run straight up to me like that...

EDIT: There should be a way for MM to prevent a battle where one team is 8 DDs and some fast cruisers vs. a team of BB's.

For some reason when I was playing last night the game would put overwhelming number of ship types I was playing in a session. When I'll choose a DD - we'll have 7 DDs on both sides, a "torpedogeddon" as a pubbie put it. When I choose a BB there was 1 DD and 1 CA on each team with the rest being hulking floating coffins.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Aoba drivers, which is the better T3 commander skill? High Alert or Vigilance?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Zero Gravitas posted:

Aoba drivers, which is the better T3 commander skill? High Alert or Vigilance?

I prefer High Alert on Cruisers and Superintended on Battleships (I use the premium repair kit on battleships).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Come on guys Furutaka isn't that bad! :v:

That is pretty much best case scenario in fairness since it's a T5 battle - it's the classic WG issue of a ship that isn't actually bad at its tier but it is particularly bad when uptiered.

I dodged a TB run and scrapped with a couple of destroyers that thankfully didn't get close before running somewhere else and dying. Sank the Tenryu, dodged another TB wave. Then hit two Wyomings together at close range - put 3 torpedoes into one for a kill, hit the second with 2 and finished with guns while dodging a third TB run. Then my first tubes reloaded just as another Furutaka came around and island, so he ate 3 more torpedoes, somehow survived and lost his last 170 HP to an Arkansas Beta that hadn't left our start for the entire round. Dodged yet another TB run before I finally got to the Langley that had been after me since the round started. I shot his engines out twice and then gave him some torpedoes as well since it seemed fitting!

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Scikar posted:

Burn the witch! :catbert:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Scikar posted:

Bad opinions itt.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Michaellaneous posted:

Wow, that is some poo poo opinion right here.
Stop trying to engage everything at max range.
It's you. You are the pubby.

No, see, that's the problem. I seem to spend half the game chasing to close with targets but unable to fire because of range. Then when I make range I can't close to brawling distance because every oval office and his uncle can simply outrun me. Or I've taken so much damage from longer range weapons that I'm a third dead and burning stem to stern.

I have no interest in engaging at max range, because that is loving stupid. I just cannot get the ship in to an appropriate fighting range like I could the previous battleships. I had a game a few days ago where it took over ten minutes to make range to fire my first shot despite steaming at full towards the enemy. Because I simply could not produce enough speed to close on the enemy fleet, and they chose not to drive to me (they actually went for caps). It's the most boring boat I've played so far.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 5, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Scikar posted:

Zero Gravitas posted:

Burn the witch! :catbert:

I do think the Furutaka has a worse reputation than its actual performance. While it reloads slowly and the turret drives aren't exactly fast. It does have a rather big punch. It can be used quite well against distant DDs, with the rather good shell speed and trajectory. And citadeling other cruisers does net nice big numbers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How do the ratings for a ship's stats correspond to the actual values? Does a ship with 100 survivability mean that ship has more HP than any other ship in the game?

What about things like AA or artillery; how exactly do they weigh different batteries that have varying rants and damage on the same ship ?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, judging by the server stats, at least for SEA, the real stinker in this game seems to be the Izumo. Which really sucks considering it's a tier 9 and thus the grind to get through it must be horrific.

For actual numbers, the forums have been helpful for once, though admittedly all they're doing is pulling them from another site that actually collates this data.

Here's the chart for the top 10% of players, with Tier 9 bolded.

pre:
USN	        Winrate	Damage	 IJN  	  Winrate	 Damage
South Carolina	66.35	22390	Kawachi   66.98	         19429
Arkansas Beta	60.68	34295	Ishizuchi 58.76	         24128
Wyoming	        62.84	35289	Myogi	  58.44	         23758
New York        58.41	41102	Kongo	  57.35	         40894
New Mexico	57.08	53134	Fuso	  57.13	         54008
Colorado	52.3	46183	Nagato	  52.86	         54410
NorthCarolina	55.01	67103	Amagi	  52.48    	 66185
Iowa	        62.96	87181	Izumo	  50.79          69867
Montana	        58.17	97702	Yamato	  58.74	         106276
Izumo actually has the lowest WR out of ALL battleships, and a full 12 points lower than its competitor, though admittedly the Iowa also has an incredibly high WR. And again this is just the top 10%. For the whole server, it drops to a 35% WR, with Iowa dropping to 46%. In point of fact, Izumo actually has the lowest WR OF ALL SHIPS ON THAT SERVER. Yamato seems to be good, but Izumo seems to be so bad I'm debating not even bothering to try to do that nightmarish grind any time in the near future.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

USN DDs are really amazing once you stop trying to play them like IJN DDs.

Should I bother with the Mk15 mod. 0 torpedoes? +9 Knots seems pretty minuscule, plus the damage loss makes them a toss up.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
9 knots seems like a pretty big deal to me, but I'm only on tier 4 DD's.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xae posted:

USN DDs are really amazing once you stop trying to play them like IJN DDs.

Should I bother with the Mk15 mod. 0 torpedoes? +9 Knots seems pretty minuscule, plus the damage loss makes them a toss up.

Well, would it make getting more torpedo hits noticeably easier while you keep using your guns for your bread and butter?

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Trying to get in wins with very limited play time has been painful to say the least, poo poo like this is the usual :shepicide:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michi88 posted:

Trying to get in wins with very limited play time has been painful to say the least, poo poo like this is the usual :shepicide:

When are you normally on now? I could use a teammate for the Ibuki.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

wdarkk posted:

When are you normally on now? I could use a teammate for the Ibuki.

If i do get the chance it is usually around 2am est. So when everyone is gone lol

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Sometimes you do your best Spam HE at everything and everyone and you still get a defeat. But it might be profitable:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Michi88 posted:

If i do get the chance it is usually around 2am est. So when everyone is gone lol

Ack. I hope you'll have some free time at some point, I enjoyed stealing all your kills with my Mogami playing with you.

On another note, can the Zao citadel an Iowa with AP? I know it can do an Izumo because I saw a video of it.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The Aoba is god drat hillarious. I don't think i'll ever get tired of just charging face first into BB's, tanking their poo poo then turning at the last second and torping them to death

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?

wdarkk posted:

Ack. I hope you'll have some free time at some point, I enjoyed stealing all your kills with my Mogami playing with you.

On another note, can the Zao citadel an Iowa with AP? I know it can do an Izumo because I saw a video of it.

On a broadside maybe, but if a NC or Iowa is showing you their side, either they are terrible or are distracted.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, judging by the server stats, at least for SEA, the real stinker in this game seems to be the Izumo. Which really sucks considering it's a tier 9 and thus the grind to get through it must be horrific.

I wish I could have a gander at the Izumo's armor profile on that 3d models website so that I could at least see how it's laid out. But really, what cripples the ship is its stock speed, and especially its rudder shift speed. The stock Izumo has to deal with going at a dainty pace of around 20-24 knots (reaching its top speed is rare when you have to maneuver so much at higher tiers) and turning at the blistering speed of thirty shift seconds, which is by far and large the worst I've seen in this game. You can get an upgrade which increases that to a mediocre 22 seconds, but that's locked behind a C hull upgrade that'll cost you around one hundred thousand experience, AND ten million credits to get. Other laughable upgrades include a fire control system which gives you the 21-kilometer firing range that other battleships several tiers lower already had, and a massive... three thousand extra horsepower to your boilers.

This ship, despite having the three turrets on the front, and the triple gun design on said turrets being a staple for allowing ships to be smaller and more compact, is just about as long as a Fuso and even an Amagi. But you turn slower than these ships, even upgraded! So you eat a lot of poo poo, and it doesn't feel especially tough despite being several times slower than the Amagi. I also have a feeling it's broader than the average battleship, and there's almost nothing on the nice, polished-off deck surface to stop shells from dropping into you.

All the turrets being on the front is ironically the least worst thing about this ship: it's actually okay. It won't bother you that much. But the rest of the ship is just garbage, and after you finally upgrade it fully, you're playing 249.000 experience on a ship that is bigger and slower than its predecessors, and doesn't do anything any better than them other than shoot 0.8 kilometers farther.

I think I've said this before and I'll say it again: it's a joke that this ship has to contend against Iowas. It can't, it's just too slow and unwieldy and average.

Plus its conning tower looks like a collage of metal crap (admittedly, this is the stock hull). Avoid this line until they buff this thing somehow, OR you can spend the copious amounts of gold on the free experience that all the Yamato players on the server undoubtedly converted off of their Atagos to get past this thing without having to play it. Either plan works.

OSad fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Clumped turrets like that aren't really to make the ship shorter, they're to minimize citadel length. The Nelsons are quite long ships actually, but they can have a low fraction of the waterline armored.

It's a real shame the rear turret faces backwards though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 5, 2015

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

No, see, that's the problem. I seem to spend half the game chasing to close with targets but unable to fire because of range. Then when I make range I can't close to brawling distance because every oval office and his uncle can simply outrun me. Or I've taken so much damage from longer range weapons that I'm a third dead and burning stem to stern.

I have no interest in engaging at max range, because that is loving stupid. I just cannot get the ship in to an appropriate fighting range like I could the previous battleships. I had a game a few days ago where it took over ten minutes to make range to fire my first shot despite steaming at full towards the enemy. Because I simply could not produce enough speed to close on the enemy fleet, and they chose not to drive to me (they actually went for caps). It's the most boring boat I've played so far.

Pretty much everyone lemmings to the same 1-2 points every game of botes in every map. Just sail to those points and murder everything. Also gently caress you have like an 18km range with your plane how are you getting outranged.

You should post a replay because I'm actually mystified how you're managing to get bad games in a ship that's this powerful.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Can some of you guys add me to contact lists? Waaahmbulance is my ingame handle.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Hazdoc posted:

Wow, the Bogue is pretty rear end. Either you take the 2 squads to have a fighter and a TB, or you go full "I don't like EXP" and do double fighter or "I don't like having planes" and 2 DB 1 TB.
I'm still winning most of my games, though. Getting unopposed in the strike loadout typically ends in carnage. Sky cancer...

I seem to win most of mine when i use the bomber module, and its fun focusing one ship down with the groups you have, plus goading the other player's fighter aircraft into a group of cruisers is fun.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just lost a battle because some utter shitstain driving a Minekaze missed an entire salvo of torpedoes at a stationary Langley, then drove in to 4km range and tried to sink it with guns, and instead he was sunk by the secondaries. From a loving Langley.

My Kuma is an idiot magnet, I haven't won a battle in it for two days, some Dunning-Kruger example in a Murmansk who can't put down a HE firing Kongo gets torped to death by a Minekaze from point blank, after the Minekaze sinks another destroyer right next to him first. "I didn't have a rudder" the fuckwit screamed, as though that excused him totally ignoring a half health destroyer in the middle of his loving broadside arc until it killed him, helping to feed it a high calibre. Nevermind that I killed a Tenryu, Kuma and South Carolina before running out of hp, I should shut up because I'm the rookie who dies before he did.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 5, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
By the way, the several times I've checked TS it seems it's pretty dead... Does no one play this game in a group? The chat channel situation seems pretty hosed too (stop making solo rooms tards)

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
I just had the most :stare: moment in game so far, you can skip to 2:25 if you don't want to watch all of it.

Sorry for the laggy footage, this computer is poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Yg5bliHGs

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Panfilo posted:

How do the ratings for a ship's stats correspond to the actual values? Does a ship with 100 survivability mean that ship has more HP than any other ship in the game?

What about things like AA or artillery; how exactly do they weigh different batteries that have varying rants and damage on the same ship ?

Pretty sure survivability also incorporates armor values.

Said armor values are no longer displayed to the player, of course. You used to be able to see how thick your turrets and citadels were.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

NTRabbit posted:

Just lost a battle because some utter shitstain driving a Minekaze missed an entire salvo of torpedoes at a stationary Langley, then drove in to 4km range and tried to sink it with guns, and instead he was sunk by the secondaries. From a loving Langley.

My Kuma is an idiot magnet, I haven't won a battle in it for two days, some Dunning-Kruger example in a Murmansk who can't put down a HE firing Kongo gets torped to death by a Minekaze from point blank, after the Minekaze sinks another destroyer right next to him first. "I didn't have a rudder" the fuckwit screamed, as though that excused him totally ignoring a half health destroyer in the middle of his loving broadside arc until it killed him, helping to feed it a high calibre. Nevermind that I killed a Tenryu, Kuma and South Carolina before running out of hp, I should shut up because I'm the rookie who dies before he did.

Alot of dudes in Japanese DD's seem to be firing their torpedoes from maximum range, i really question this style when they have ample opportunity to close in (on carriers for example) and guarantee their hits if they fire from 3km or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fizzil posted:

Alot of dudes in Japanese DD's seem to be firing their torpedoes from maximum range, i really question this style when they have ample opportunity to close in (on carriers for example) and guarantee their hits if they fire from 3km or less.

It's a reasonable thing to do when you're completely unspotted and want to attack from concealment. If you're spotted, though, it's time to either get the hell out and engage something else, or make an attempt to get in there and get at them.