Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZoe-r9qb0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't that laugh also the laugh of the guy you get to clone you in Chrono Trigger

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey gang just wondering why jecht is included in these dissidia type things and theatrhythm when he is eminently uncool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You are actually the uncool one, hth

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Beef Chief posted:

If a character's entire enjoyment relies solely on a twist then doesn't strike me as a very good antagonist because you're basically saying that's the core of the character's likeability. No I am not playing the Woolsey translation because you feel like your funny memes enhance the character, not to be a dick.

As I have never beaten FFVI I have no investment in its quality. I just think that a possible reason for Kefka's memorability might not only be due to the fact he succeeded, but also the fact that "Kefka is the real villain" wasn't even a possibility in the minds of people at the time.

I've heard diverging opinions on his victory anyway. I've heard he was either the ultimate opportunist or that he was always a mastermind and had his ascendance to godhood planned out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

epitasis posted:

hey gang just wondering why jecht is included in these dissidia type things and theatrhythm when he is eminently uncool

Because a giant whale wouldn't fit the villain roster and Seymour's a butt.

e: Moved to new post.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 5, 2015

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Help Im Alive posted:

I found the solution to this debate - a dissidia tier list

It makes me sad that two of my favorite characters are at rock bottom.
On the other hand, Ultimecia & Squall are my two favorite characters to play as, so that's good.

(And for the people who refuse to believe that Squall is stronger than Cloud: Cloud is basically the Jeigan of Dissidia, and Squall, with proper equipment, can utterly annihilate BRV, sooooo)

fake-edit: For those who want to decide whether Cloud or Squall are better for themselves, have two combo videos and decide on your own:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSazQtfzckk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljwP-Q_pTI

fake-edit numero dos: Epitaph or whatever your name is, Jecht is in Dissidia because they needed a chaos rep from 10, and who the hell else was it gonna be?
Also, Jecht can do this, and anybody who can do this is A-OK in my book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv_CN9DrGQ4

Sordas Volantyr fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 5, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the dissidia tier list is hilarious because the jecht vs emperor match up is 0-10

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As for Kefka, he's literally The Joker. He's this nutso comic relief character driven mad by magic experimentation who does twisted poo poo like poison an entire nation's water supply. He's motivated by boredom, messing with General Leo in Thamasa simply because he wants to. He decides to turn the tables on the big bad of the first half and destroy the world because he's bored of it, becoming a god himself. He then uses this power for nothing more than to be a spiteful dick, and even toys with the party in the final battle simply because he wants a challenge.

People like him because he's loving nuts for a villain, leading to some outrageous poo poo, and also because he's a good source of comedy, especially in the Woolsey translation where he's an over-the-top ponce saying ridiculous lines like "Son of a submariner!" and "You all sound like chapters from a self-help booklet!" while murdering people left and right without remorse simply for laughs. Considering how many dark and mysterious villains the series has, it's not too surprising a goofy power-crazed clown stands out for a lot of the fanbase.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I never felt like he was actually that self-aware or even really silly though. I mean the game prior to 6 is a game featuring a tree man who rivals a loving talking turtle and even if the GBA translation did spice it up to be self-aware and goofy, it's still a pretty silly scenario even for FF. Admittedly western fans didn't get that game until the PS1, but Kefka just felt like exactly what you're describing. Maybe with the Woolsey Translation he becomes sillier, but that doesn't change that everything terrible he does is portrayed in a pretty horrific light and he's an unhinged monster.

It's not even for the sake of boredom that he does anything though, it's blatant nihilism. A trope so ingrained into JRPG villains that Caius himself is practically a running gag on it, even if unintentional. Like nothing he did felt any different from standard JRPG fair, especially when he just becomes a god and is unseen until the end of the game. Like I'm fine with villains who are petty assholes, one of my favorite villains is from Persona 4 and is like the epitome of a petty rear end in a top hat, but Kefka's character never felt like it was actually interesting and that may just be because of when I played it. That being said, I don't think he's bad, just not really remarkable. However, even if it was for the time that came out, the most FF had for mysterious and dark villains was Golbez and maybe Exdeath, who turned out to just be a Saturday morning cartoon villain. FF1 barely has a villain, 2 has David Bowie who's neither, and I don't even remember 3's villain if it's not Cloud of Darkness.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 5, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I don't disagree with your Kefka analysis but for some reason he is one of the most memorable Final Fantasy villains for me. I have no idea why but that has always been the case.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i hope the new dissidia has caius ballad

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Same

Xavier434 posted:

I don't disagree with your Kefka analysis but for some reason he is one of the most memorable Final Fantasy villains for me. I have no idea why but that has always been the case.

I mean the dude is definitely memorable for the things he does and how goes about doing them. He's got more to be proud of than most of the pre-7 villains, half of which show up at the end of their respective games. I'm just saying he's not the end all be all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Beef Chief posted:

I never felt like he was actually that self-aware or even really silly though. I mean the game prior to 6 is a game featuring a tree man who rivals a loving talking turtle and even if the GBA translation did spice it up to be self-aware and goofy, it's still a pretty silly scenario even for FF. Admittedly western fans didn't get that game until the PS1, but Kefka just felt like exactly what you're describing. Maybe with the Woolsey Translation he becomes sillier, but that doesn't change that everything terrible he does is portrayed in a pretty horrific light and he's an unhinged monster.

It's not even for the sake of boredom that he does anything though, it's blatant nihilism. A trope so ingrained into JRPG villains that Caius himself is practically a running gag on it, even if unintentional. Like nothing he did felt any different from standard JRPG fair, especially when he just becomes a god and is unseen until the end of the game. Like I'm fine with villains who are petty assholes, one of my favorite villains is from Persona 4 and is like the epitome of a petty rear end in a top hat, but Kefka's character never felt like it was actually interesting and that may just be because of when I played it. That being said, I don't think he's bad, just not really remarkable. However, even if it was for the time that came out, the most FF had for mysterious and dark villains was Golbez and maybe Exdeath, who turned out to just be a Saturday morning cartoon villain. FF1 barely has a villain, 2 has David Bowie who's neither, and I don't even remember 3's villain if it's not Cloud of Darkness.

Keep in mind we only got 1 and 4 before 6 came out, so there wass just Garland and Golbez/Zemus to really compare to. We didn't have Evil Tree Man (and if you think Kefka's bland in FF6A, try playing the SNES fan translation for FF5 at some point, it's as dry as it comes and pretty much everything interesting about FF5's dialogue besides Faris's over-the-top pirate speak and the ridiculous enemy names of the PS1 version are exclusive to FF5A), plus for the first half of FF6 it's the rather generic evil Emperor Gestahl built up to be the big bad with Kefka as his unhinged number two doing the actual dirty things.

As for Kefka being silly, his first appearance has him screaming at his soldiers to clean his boots, then there's his taunt at Edgar after the party flees Figaro (still goofy in both versions), the fact he's literally singing about the murder he's committing as he poisons Doma, how he toys with General Leo before killing him, the way he mocks the Espers in Thamasa as he murders them, how he gloats over Gestahl after he gains the power of the statues, even the lead-up to the final battle where he gets sick of the party's speeches and just starts blowing more poo poo up so they'll loving fight him already. Even in the Advance translation he comes off as a guy that really, really enjoys killing and torturing people and takes it in stride.

A lot of that charm definitely came from Woolsey's translation but thankfully they took that characterization and ran with it for Dissidia, which is great because FF games usually need someone to point out just how loving ridiculous everything in these games are.

e:

Beef Chief posted:

I mean the dude is definitely memorable for the things he does and how goes about doing them. He's got more to be proud of than most of the pre-7 villains, half of which show up at the end of their respective games. I'm just saying he's not the end all be all.

Definitely not trying to change anyone's mind here or tell them they're wrong. Just explaining why he's as popular as he is.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, I understand. I'm not trying to like poo poo on anyone's favorite character here, just trying to offer perspective. I apologize if it's coming off as me posturing. It's interesting reading the perspective of someone else who does like the game and a difference in experiences.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mega64 posted:

Keep in mind we only got 1 and 4 before 6 came out, so there wass just Garland and Golbez/Zemus to really compare to. We didn't have Evil Tree Man (and if you think Kefka's bland in FF6A, try playing the SNES fan translation for FF5 at some point, it's as dry as it comes and pretty much everything interesting about FF5's dialogue besides Faris's over-the-top pirate speak and the ridiculous enemy names of the PS1 version are exclusive to FF5A)

Oh, is that why when I played FF5 last year, there was nothing interesting about it other than the job system? I ended the game with the opinion that FF5 had a worse story and worse characters than Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

I didn't know the fan translation was bad. I had remembered they did a good job with FF4. So I went with SNES over GBA for the better quality music.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 5, 2015

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Oh, is that why when I played FF5 last year, there was nothing interesting about it other than the job system? I ended the game with the opinion that FF5 had a worse story and worse characters than Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

I didn't know the fan translation was bad. I had remembered they did a good job with FF4. So I went with SNES over GBA for the better quality music.

Have some choice quotes from the GBA version, then:

"Oh my stars and comets! HE'S A SHE!"
"Something's fishy around here...and it ain't cod!"
"Creepin' crawdads! Something's got a hold on the ship!"
"Everybody said I was dumb, but I'm gonna be a scholar, because I'm S-M-R-T smart!"
"That's enough of that. Here in Bal, bad jokes like that will get you PUNished!"
"Enough expository banter! Now, we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men! For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

FF5 has a bad story and characters. The thing is that it was so bad that the GBA translation just went almost-parody with it and it worked out for the better.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

kefka is fantasy Joker. which can be entertaining, and is a rarity in the series. but it's not very deep or intriguing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

FF5 has a bad story and characters. The thing is that it was so bad that the GBA translation just went almost-parody with it and it worked out for the better.

In particular, the GBA translation took a character whose sole purpose was exposition dump and ended up having him constantly exasperated with Bartz's stupid question.

FF5's original story is really bland, but the FF5A localization saves it quite a bit by being incredibly goofy. Kinda like FF6 in a way, really. Isn't the literal translation of FF6 kind of bland itself in a way?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pretty soft girl posted:

Decided to play through NES FF2 on a whim the other day after running into this insanely detailed guide that breaks down a bunch of mechanics that the game makes 0 reference to, in particular equipment having a D&D style spell failure %

http://guides.gamercorner.net/ffii/

It's actually a surprisingly fun 8 bit RPG when the mechanics aren't opaque to the point where you have to resort to punching yourself in the face for an hour to survive basic encounters. It's still challenging but I'm a few hours in and haven't had to do really any grinding or deal with many party wipes. I kind of wish the GBA version was mechanically closer to the NES one while better explaining it instead of just removing a bunch of the mechanics entirely, it always felt way too easy

The iOS version removes a lot of grinding needs, especially due to giving periodic HP gains independent of damage taken, and I think my team was nearly immune to magic effects by the end of the game because they'd gotten up to 9-10 resist through normal gameplay.

I also did about 4 hours of grinding trying to get Osmose books, only to look at a guide online and see that the bonus keyword dungeon thing had a level with a chest that you could loot for the book every time you run it, and I could've gotten there by progressing the story for about 15-20 minutes. :shepicide:

MrLonghair posted:

Q: Memorable FF15 villain, will we see one like other FF games? A: Information will come at a time in the future about this character, cannot reveal anything but, "he's not going to be beaten by any previous villains, he's going to top all of them"

This can't possibly go wrong. :v:

CottonWolf posted:

Isn't his main crime casual dickery to this brother? I don't think we can count mass-murder of dream people as evil.

Destroying a reality that isn't the one you originally came from, and sending a bunch of friends back to horrible lives in the process, is pretty hosed up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

FF5's dialogue is hilarious in the GBA version. It's not really an interesting plot but it's really fun to read anyway.

(Also their FF4 fantranslation was really bad too.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FF2's gameplay is far from perfect but my only real complaint with it were the invisible stat penalties because of weapons or armor or whatever. I had no idea they were loving up my magic. I mean, I know you don't really need magic (at least offensive magic like elemental spells) but i still liked using them. Also during my first run I hadn't realized that Unarmed is crazy overpowered and can do damage to enemies while your weapons can't. I thought the only way to take down the Gigas enemies was with magic but, nope, just unequip your weapon and punch them to death. It was really weird.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

FF5's dialogue is hilarious in the GBA version. It's not really an interesting plot but it's really fun to read anyway.

(Also their FF4 fantranslation was really bad too.)

I remember that FF4 fantranslation because it decided that FF4 needed cussing and pop culture references.

Like the line about that dude who's actually a monster, the twins were able to tell because his acting was "Worse than Shatner".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are a couple of places where the swearing isn't bad (Cecil calling Golbez a bastard works fine.) but the dialogue is atrocious. Even ignoring the pop culture references, it completely butchers dialogue and makes lines up wholecloth.

quote:

Being the bad guy I am, I can't guarantee your precious Rosa will remain alive...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I bet those goons busted up that airship something awful :iamafag:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

NikkolasKing posted:

FF2's gameplay is far from perfect but my only real complaint with it were the invisible stat penalties because of weapons or armor or whatever. I had no idea they were loving up my magic. I mean, I know you don't really need magic (at least offensive magic like elemental spells) but i still liked using them. Also during my first run I hadn't realized that Unarmed is crazy overpowered and can do damage to enemies while your weapons can't. I thought the only way to take down the Gigas enemies was with magic but, nope, just unequip your weapon and punch them to death. It was really weird.

Weapons are fine once you get Berserk, Haste, and maybe Aura. Magic's also vital for sequence breaking. Namely:

- Take off all armor, dual wield shields
- Get an elemental spell for the 3 characters, blow up low level poo poo with said magic to get it to level 3-4 minimum
- use the magic on your party occasionally to help force more HP gains early on
- Get Minwe
- Put Firion and/or Guy in the front row
- Fight the Captains that you are intended to avoid lest they gently caress you up
- Use Fog(?) on Guy/Firion to jack up their evade so they can maybe not get splattered immediately
- Have Minwe revive whomever died the previous round
- Have the 3 main characters unload with magic this entire time
- Pray you had a high enough max MP to kill the Captain before your MP runs out.
- Captain died? Collect the loot he hopefully dropped for you. He drops gear on par with stuff you can get in Mysidia.
- Killed him a few (dozen) more times and got all the gear/spells you care for? Consider taking a trip down south to Mysidia. There's about 2 screens worth of distance full of enemies that range from "ouch these hurt" to "oh gently caress I'm screwed" but you can get insanely good gear/magic there as a result.

When I played on iOS I ended up heading down to Mysidia, since I'd played to the end of the NES version thus knew where it was, and ended up grabbing Holy for Maria and Swap for a couple people since Swap is handy for magic spamming pre-Osmose and it's also really good for HP/MP power leveling.I also grabbed a pair of axes for Guy, which took care of that whole pesky "some early enemies take gently caress-all damage from melee" thing. Also fought around the area to power up a little more and eventually did a save/load heavy trip out east to the cave to grab the armor that you could get in the initial area that isn't keyword-locked. Even simply killing the Captain for a couple drops can make a large portion of the early game much easier (Fire bow damage is handy) and if you can get to Mysidia you can effectively remove about 1/2 to 2/3 of the game's difficulty.

Though if you don't want to break the game quite that much, you can level your spells to 3-4 and just go north of the castle until you run in to (wiz)Ogres and magic users. The main drop of interest is the staff one of the enemies carries because it hits all enemies with Lit4. Pick up 3-4 of those and you now have enough 0 MP aoe damage to deal with a lot of stuff while being able to save MP for healing and single target magic use.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sordas Volantyr posted:

fake-edit numero dos: Epitaph or whatever your name is, Jecht is in Dissidia because they needed a chaos rep from 10, and who the hell else was it gonna be?
Also, Jecht can do this, and anybody who can do this is A-OK in my book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv_CN9DrGQ4

I can't believe how badly I am resisting the urge to sperg about Dissidia gameplay mechanics. You should have posted the Yuna one where its literally just spamming Bahamut to victory.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Endorph posted:

there are a couple of places where the swearing isn't bad (Cecil calling Golbez a bastard works fine.) but the dialogue is atrocious. Even ignoring the pop culture references, it completely butchers dialogue and makes lines up wholecloth.

Oh yeah, that is bad. Still, I would say it was overall an improvement on the SNES original despite all of that. When I played the J2E version, I liked the story much better than the original. The original left too much out. Just for example from in the beginning on J2E: Cecil's crew notes how unhappy he is aboard the ship, you find that King Baron raised Cecil and Kain as his sons, you find out that Kain became a dragoon for his father, there's hints of jealousy as he thinks he would have been more successful if he had become a dark knight instead, at one point Cecil says he envies Kain's faith in the king. There's none of that in the original. I believe all of it is in the DS and other versions, so they didn't make these up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, that's fair, but that's barely even the J2E translation. That's more just them working off the japanese script, so that stuff gets carried over.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I might replay FFIX after I beat Lightning Returns. I haven't played the game in years because I beat it so many times I just had no motivation to do it again. A mod to change the gameplay helped re-motivate me to beat VII and VIII though so I'll probably try that for IX.

But I'm curious, in all my runs of FFIX, I never tackled Ozma. How hard is it without completing the Friendly Monsters? Everyone I've seen has done that quest so Ozma pretty much kills itself with Doomsday.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I might replay FFIX after I beat Lightning Returns. I haven't played the game in years because I beat it so many times I just had no motivation to do it again. A mod to change the gameplay helped re-motivate me to beat VII and VIII though so I'll probably try that for IX.

But I'm curious, in all my runs of FFIX, I never tackled Ozma. How hard is it without completing the Friendly Monsters? Everyone I've seen has done that quest so Ozma pretty much kills itself with Doomsday.

Harder since you have one more attack to worry about. Plus you won't be able to reach Ozma with regular attacks, not that that should be a big concern anyway.

There's no reason not to do the Friendly Monsters though, it's free AP and easy to do.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

Friendly Monsters hugely increases your chances of winning. This is solely because it makes Ozma weak to Dark instead of absorbing it, so when it opens with Doomsday, you're an extra 10,000 damage closer to victory. If it casts Doomsday in the middle of the fight, it doesn't undo your hard work. Please do the Friendly Monsters because without it, you have about a 5% chance of actually beating the boss.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I always do the friendly monsters quest, and I always make sure the deck my characters out in Dark nullifying- or absorbing gear, and yet I think I've seen Ozma cast doomsday all of once in probably ten battles with it. Of course if I DIDN'T do the quest Ozma would probably cast it all the time.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Kind of a disappointing Gamescom for FFXV, but I didn't think the trailer was that bad to be honest, mostly just disappointing. I thought the music was absolutely incredible and I thought how it just kept on crescendoing and crescendoing was awesome. Gotta say, even if FFXV ends up being a terrible game, I'm at least confident that we'll probably get one of the great FF soundtracks from it. Kind of like FFXIII, really.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Isn't there a big thing in Paris also coming up? I'm guessing we'll get some bigger details there.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Isn't there a big thing in Paris also coming up? I'm guessing we'll get some bigger details there.

No, they said the next FFXV showings will be at PAX Prime (starting August 21) and TGS (starting September 17), so really soon. The Gamescom presence was light but that makes sense if you consider it to essentially just be act 1 of this new glut of info over a month-and-a-half.

The Paris thing is Paris Games Week (October 28 - November 1) - haven't heard anything about FFXV appearing there. The big thing with PGW is that that's where Sony is doing the big blowout it originally planned for Gamescom.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Latest report is that FF15 is 65% done, whatever that means.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

65% done from when someone not completely moronic took the helm, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Tae posted:

From what I've heard, not much. Percentages in game development can supposedly jump ahead by like 2% in a month or 5% in a week depending on what you're doing.