Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

NTRabbit posted:

I should shut up because I'm the rookie who dies before he did.
That's what you get for touching the poop in chat.

I can't resist touching the poop either. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fizzil posted:

Alot of dudes in Japanese DD's seem to be firing their torpedoes from maximum range, i really question this style when they have ample opportunity to close in (on carriers for example) and guarantee their hits if they fire from 3km or less.

Getting that close uncovers you, meaning that you'll start drawing fire. It can be a decent trade-off if the target's isolated, but at other times it'll just get you killed before you can actually achieve much of anything. More often than not you can do more total damage by shooting 20 salvos from hiding at long-ish range than shooting 2 salvos that are guaranteed to hit but dying right afterwards. Besides, with how quick they reload, you can often just let off one salvo at long range and have a new one ready by the time you've closed in.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fizzil posted:

Alot of dudes in Japanese DD's seem to be firing their torpedoes from maximum range, i really question this style when they have ample opportunity to close in (on carriers for example) and guarantee their hits if they fire from 3km or less.

The main draw of playing Japanese DDs is to have enough range on your torpedoes to fire without being seen. If you're going to rush to 3 KM and fire from there, you might as well play US DDs and at least get good guns into the bargain.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I decided to splurge 20€ today.

From two test games so far, she's funny as hell. Doesn't see higher than Tier 3, has slightly more hp than a St. Louis and BB repairs and the primaries are horrendously inaccurate, but hit pretty hard with HE shells (and AP citadels if you're at point blank range). With my Nagato captain, the secondaries range out to 3.6km and are brutal as gently caress - first match I fought a Tenryuu while the secondaries chewed up a ~80% Chikuma in the meantime like it ain't no thing. Also, she turns on a freakin' dime and can pull insane torpedo dodges with that turnign radius and rudder shift time.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 5, 2015

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Fizzil posted:

IJN DDs are sniper rifles, USN DDs are Shotguns.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fizzil posted:

I've been one-shot by carrier secondaries before in my Mutsuki.

Its brutal.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
hidden torp spam is bullshit and it turns any situation with more than one jap DD and terrain any more closed than Ocean into bullet hell

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

yaay posted:

hidden torp spam is bullshit and it turns any situation with more than one jap DD and terrain any more closed than Ocean into bullet hell

Wait until you run into the team IJN dds that fire at crossing angles to double gently caress you.

:getin:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Razzled posted:

By the way, the several times I've checked TS it seems it's pretty dead... Does no one play this game in a group? The chat channel situation seems pretty hosed too (stop making solo rooms tards)

Some days there are a lot of dudes in TS, none in Goon chat.. other days the reverse. Then some days there are none in either but you know they are playing because you see the replays posted and chatter in the thread from 'this just happened'. We just tend to be unsociable a lot.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

demonR6 posted:

Some days there are a lot of dudes in TS, none in Goon chat.. other days the reverse. Then some days there are none in either but you know they are playing because you see the replays posted and chatter in the thread from 'this just happened'. We just tend to be unsociable a lot.

Ok, just making sure I'm not missing out on a train of pubbie tears. The WoT channels were always packed is why I was a little surprised.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
If you join the correct Goons channel with the password once and add it to your favorites it will always be there for you. If you get in channel and see a bunch of dudes not in TS just post in there to see if anyone wants to join a division and then tell the shitters to get in TS. Or just say "hey shitters get in TS."

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
I know you guys probably won't agree, but past tier 7 or so, AA gets absolutely ridiculous... can't sink poo poo in my Hiryu anymore because of all these Atlantas.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ranbo das posted:

Pretty much everyone lemmings to the same 1-2 points every game of botes in every map. Just sail to those points and murder everything. Also gently caress you have like an 18km range with your plane how are you getting outranged.

You should post a replay because I'm actually mystified how you're managing to get bad games in a ship that's this powerful.

Near stock loadout. I unlocked the fire control and put on the 16% range equipment, and suddenly I'm having fun again.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

:feelsgood:

:byewhore:

It's all good from here.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

demonR6 posted:

I'm curious as to if the goon community is spread out in various in game chat channels. When you search Goons theres a number of different channels. I'm in the one started by Q_res but theres only ever a couple of people in it. Are a lot of people just not joining the channel? I'd go into the TS but I always feel weird just sitting in a channel when I'm not grouped with anyone. Right now theres only me and another person in the channel. This is on NA servers by the way.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Don't feel weird, there are plenty of people that log in and sit in a channel waiting on others to jump on. We have three in the LFS channel in TS, there were about six a half hour ago when I first logged in.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hazdoc posted:

Wow, the Bogue is pretty rear end. Either you take the 2 squads to have a fighter and a TB, or you go full "I don't like EXP" and do double fighter or "I don't like having planes" and 2 DB 1 TB.
I'm still winning most of my games, though. Getting unopposed in the strike loadout typically ends in carnage. Sky cancer...

I have very sad news for you if that is how you feel. The next 2 carriers have pretty similar loadouts that might make you want to keep the original loadout of the ship. US carrier loadout used to be so much better back in the closed beta. I'm still crying myself to sleep every night since these changes.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

I have very sad news for you if that is how you feel. The next 2 carriers have pretty similar loadouts that might make you want to keep the original loadout of the ship. US carrier loadout used to be so much better back in the closed beta. I'm still crying myself to sleep every night since these changes.

The main thing I want in the CV loadout is at least 2 attacking planes (so I can inflict Fire/Flooding then inflict it again after the repair is popped), and a fighter to clear off scout planes and help defend allies. Fighterless is really painful, but when it works, it works.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Panfilo posted:

Had a few recent games in my Ranger where CL players were really smart. There were 3 Atlanta's and about that many Cleveland's forming a screen about 6km apart but maneuvering around to avoid torpedoes. Any direction I sent my planes one of them would pop their AA ability and shred my bombers. One game I think I managed all of one bomb hit the entire game because I couldn't hit anything or get close to their BBs with my planes. And forget about it if I'm matched up against a Hiryu which can easily overwhelm me.

As much as people complain about Bogue at least it doesn't have to deal with nearly as much AA in its tier and isn't as inferior to its IJN counterpart.

People love to complain about carriers, but what they don't realise is that they can be pretty easily defeated. A group of cruisers and/or BB sticking together is all you need to shred a squadron of Dive Bomber and/or Torpedo bombers. At higher tier, when AA actually becomes a thing, carrier players can no longer afford to be cocky and fly over a group to hit someone at the back. It becomes much harder to do so and they are forced to spend more time maneuvering the planes for each drop.

Seriously, in this game, sticking together and being pro-active is the best defense against airplanes.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Near stock loadout. I unlocked the fire control and put on the 16% range equipment, and suddenly I'm having fun again.

Ah that would do it. Get it all tricked out, its a hell of a ship.

In unrelated news I just got to the Colorado. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

The main thing I want in the CV loadout is at least 2 attacking planes (so I can inflict Fire/Flooding then inflict it again after the repair is popped), and a fighter to clear off scout planes and help defend allies. Fighterless is really painful, but when it works, it works.

I'm at work at the moment, so I can't be 100% sure of what I am saying, but I believe that the stock loadout starting tier 7 is 1/1/1, which is already a slight improvement. Unfortunately, there is no loadout that gives more than 1 TB with fighters. Not that I can remember anyways.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

ranbo das posted:

Ah that would do it. Get it all tricked out, its a hell of a ship.

In unrelated news I just got to the Colorado. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I'm sorry for your loss.

30k to to go till the North Carolina. So close yet so far away. :suicide:

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
I'm becoming convinced that being a skilled player in a battleship contributes less to a team's success than being a skilled cruiser.

Whenever I play cruisers I have the flexibility to quickly move to different portions of the map to help fill in gaps as the game progresses. I don't have that option as a battleship. If I commit to a flank that is weak I then spend the rest of the game steaming to assist the rest of my team while they slam their faces against the enemy and die. I then try to get as much damage in as possible with the inevitable loss (or draw) looming over the horizon. The ability for cruisers to flex quickly and provide strong support contributes more readily to a higher win percentage than what lumbering battleships can offer.

Perhaps this impression will change as I climb higher up the tiers (I currently focus on 5/6 right now), but that's how I feel at the moment.

tl;dr In solo queue being a skilled cruiser will contribute to a higher win rating than being a skilled battleship due to the ability to flex anywhere on the map quickly.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Dalael posted:

I'm at work at the moment, so I can't be 100% sure of what I am saying, but I believe that the stock loadout starting tier 7 is 1/1/1, which is already a slight improvement. Unfortunately, there is no loadout that gives more than 1 TB with fighters. Not that I can remember anyways.

1/1/1 starts at tier 6 with the Independence. The tier 8 gets 2 fighters on default and 1 TB and DB. For some reason, it also has a loadout that drops a TB for a DB. I'm not sure in what world that would actually be an upgrade. Americans only get double torpedo bombers at tier 9 and 10 which blows since torpedoes top out on damage pretty early while ships get more hp and more torpedo armor.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
Holy crap.

I don't know what emotions to feel when I look at this.

Oh, and another lovely thing about the Izumo is that it being a tier 9 battleship, seems to make the matchmaker think that you don't need a carrier on your team. It didn't happen this time, obviously, but often I'll get in matches where I'm the only tier nine ship on my team, and the enemy team will have a carrier of an assorted tier from ranges 7-9. It's almost like I'm denying my team a carrier when I queue on this ship.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Dalael posted:

People love to complain about carriers, but what they don't realise is that they can be pretty easily defeated. A group of cruisers and/or BB sticking together is all you need to shred a squadron of Dive Bomber and/or Torpedo bombers. At higher tier, when AA actually becomes a thing, carrier players can no longer afford to be cocky and fly over a group to hit someone at the back. It becomes much harder to do so and they are forced to spend more time maneuvering the planes for each drop.

Seriously, in this game, sticking together and being pro-active is the best defense against airplanes.

It's a problem if it takes coordinated groups of ships of the type meant as a direct counter to effectively defend against a single ship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I heard rumors that they're going to do additional cruiser lines "soon" with the US one culminating in the Alaska. I hope that they give the Japanese the corresponding B-65 cruiser-killer, which would be pretty fun.

Also today I had a really nice Kongox3 game with Spork and Scoots. The three of us just sailed right to the enemy side, no fuss no muss (aside from some debate about the best line to go up). The enemy carriers were REALLY surprised. Replay Link.

Also got Dreadnought on my Ibuki twice today.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I'm not sure how I feel about them making US ships have good AA and IJN ships bad AA be a thing. I've been watching the plane kill counts for ships at the end of my Mogami games and its very disheartening, given how important carriers are right now. Baltimores and North Carolinas can AFK their way to a clear skies, but outside of maybe Yamato, that seems hard to do for IJN.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, about Mikasa's turning. I just had this match:

I played semi-aggressively and it at times turned in the WoWS version of Touhou. This was the result:

Several enemy DD players were calling bullshit on the maneuvers I pulled. :haw:

Seriously, Mikasa must be the most infuriating thing ever for destroyer drivers. She turns so well that you can basically forget ever landing a torp hit unless you race in to like 2km or less against the ridiculous secondary battery.

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 6, 2015

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

cheese posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about them making US ships have good AA and IJN ships bad AA be a thing. I've been watching the plane kill counts for ships at the end of my Mogami games and its very disheartening, given how important carriers are right now. Baltimores and North Carolinas can AFK their way to a clear skies, but outside of maybe Yamato, that seems hard to do for IJN.

I often have 10-20 planes killed per game in my Aoba (with +44% AA range.)

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
WELP.

I had this wonderful player on my team. It is not a bot.
200 games in a New York with 39% win rate and 12900 average damage (average SEA player does 12700 damage per game in Hashidate) :stonk:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Kerrow posted:

I just had the most :stare: moment in game so far, you can skip to 2:25 if you don't want to watch all of it.

Sorry for the laggy footage, this computer is poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Yg5bliHGs

The sheer number of Torpedo sperm your Kuma can orgasm forth is astoundingly enlightening to me and my USN "Penetration Confirmed" Turret Sperm Supremacy playstyle.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Found the worst player, lucky I had him on my team.

http://worldofwarships.com/en/community/accounts/1004104367-fecske/#tab=pvp/account-tab-overview-pvp

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Your pubbie does more damage in the Albany than mine does in the New Mexico :v:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That guy should really reconsider his terrible botes choices.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Did they change the 100 dollar bundle in the store? Its 13k dubloons and 30m credits now. Could have sworn it was 17k/17m earlier.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Honestly I have so much fun getting in close and opening up with my secondaries I...I don't think I can go back to sniping. I won't go back.

Also I'd like to change my screen name to "King Kongo."

Airplanes :argh:

Servicio en Espanol fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 6, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

orange juche posted:

Napkin math says Warchest bundle is ~4000 gold worth of credits bonus, on top of the amount you would get for converting the difference between 17,500 gold and 25,000 gold.

Completely converted, it comes out to 43,750,000 credits, or a rate of 441,919.19 credits to the dollar.

applying the same napkin math, converting everything to credits, the changed bundle is worth 49,500,000 credits. The amount of "bonus gold in credits" value is 8000 gold.

I get the number by converting all gold to credits at a rate of 1500cr/gold, then I subtract the smaller number from the larger, and then divide the difference by 1500 to find the "bonus gold".

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 6, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
The torpedoes on the Iwaki Alpha do so much loving damage. If you somehow get close without being citadel hit you can basically sink two ships every 72 seconds. "Mutsuki torpedoes on a preferential tier 4" is a pretty great gimmick, especially for a Wargaming reward ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

The four-turreted Nicholas with the RoF turrets is very fun. I can shoot another full salvo before the first one lands. I feel like a mini-Atlanta!

I honestly don't understand why people would enjoy Japanese DD's over American DD's. I've found it so far in Jap DD's that it's rather a gamble to land torpedoes at your unspotted range when at any point, the ship you were aiming for can jiggle a little bit left and right, and suddenly your spread isn't going anywhere near the ship anymore. It's so much more fun to be a little annoying bugger, have fast turrets and put in your shots where they count, draw the attention from the enemy team so your team is in less pressure, then when you have the chance, close in and put in the torpedoes where you know you're gonna hit them, and not have to cross your fingers.

I guess it's all about learning how to lead at the end of the day, and it's still a gamble whether a ship will kill you on approach or not, but punching up with your guns is so much more reliable than doing it with torps instead. Also, you get 65-knot torps so much earlier in the American line! For the Jap equivalent, you gotta go all the way to the Kagero, and they're only two knots better! 65-knots is very fast for tier 5!

OSad fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 6, 2015