Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Echophonic posted:

I can't help but feel that the wooden box is cool, but defeats the purpose of the game fitting in a small box.

The wooden box is a little smaller than it looks. For scale, the cardboard tokens in the rack are about the size of a quarter, a 10p piece or 50 Eurocent coin. it's also designed to hold all three One Night games plus at least one more expansion for each of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jedit posted:

The wooden box is a little smaller than it looks. For scale, the cardboard tokens in the rack are about the size of a quarter, a 10p piece or 50 Eurocent coin. it's also designed to hold all three One Night games plus at least one more expansion for each of them.

It still has to be big enough for the 14"x24" mat, meaning it's way bigger than one would expect. I'm still kind of interested, but I'd have to see how thick it was, since ONUW lives in my bag as-is with Avalon and Lost Legacy in a smaller pocket.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Echophonic posted:

It still has to be big enough for the 14"x24" mat, meaning it's way bigger than one would expect. I'm still kind of interested, but I'd have to see how thick it was, since ONUW lives in my bag as-is with Avalon and Lost Legacy in a smaller pocket.

Mats roll up. 14" is going to be its longest dimension.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

Haven't seen much talk about the Nuclear War card game yet it is starred in my app. Has anyone played it before?

Razor Jacksuit pretty much summed it up. I enjoyed playing with my friend in head to head, but I could see elimination being a big problem. Honestly, you're not getting anything by backing (other than supporting the reprint,) so you could just pick up a copy from Ebay, save a few bucks and not miss anything.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Evolution 2nd Edition shipped!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Razor Jacksuit pretty much summed it up. I enjoyed playing with my friend in head to head, but I could see elimination being a big problem. Honestly, you're not getting anything by backing (other than supporting the reprint,) so you could just pick up a copy from Ebay, save a few bucks and not miss anything.

Thank you, I think that is the plan.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Ugh my friend is sending me pictures of the Exploding Kittens "funny" cards that he just got. Just saw a card that said "cancel other player's action" and it's called "nope". Great game design, here.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just let people play exploding kittens, when they get over it steer them onto better games

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I got my copy of Exploding Kittens in the mail today and it seems like a fine party game. In fact, next week I'm going to the lake with my family and I imagine it'll be a perfect game to play for half an hour after dinner when everyone's had a few drinks but aren't quite ready to go to bed.

Also, the quality of the cards and packaging are very high, the packaging slip / receipt that came with the game had a little Oatmeal comic about a cat travelling across the country to deliver the game to me that was personalised with my name and address which was pretty neat and the super secret surprise included in each box is a sound chip that meows when you open the lid of the box.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

cyberia posted:

a sound chip that meows when you open the lid of the box.

I never want to play this game, but awwwww.... :3:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

cyberia posted:

I got my copy of Exploding Kittens in the mail today and it seems like a fine party game. In fact, next week I'm going to the lake with my family and I imagine it'll be a perfect game to play for half an hour after dinner when everyone's had a few drinks but aren't quite ready to go to bed.

Also, the quality of the cards and packaging are very high, the packaging slip / receipt that came with the game had a little Oatmeal comic about a cat travelling across the country to deliver the game to me that was personalised with my name and address which was pretty neat and the super secret surprise included in each box is a sound chip that meows when you open the lid of the box.

Amazing, you get to annoy people with your lovely game who aren't even playing it.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Amazing, you get to annoy people with your lovely game who aren't even playing it.

It must be really difficult when people like things you don't.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Seriously people, not everything needs to have a deep, compelling narrative or be a masterpiece of game design. There is something to be said for relaxed, cat-based humor.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's a bad game. There are much better games out there by any objective measure. But that's not to say one can't enjoy it, or are a poorer person for doing so.

I'd have more to add, but I just drew a kitten card and have nothing to defuse it with, so I have to end my post and sit in the corner until you folks finish the rest of the discussion. :(

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Backed Star Patrol, which looks like a pretty sweet microgame. Has anyone played the creator's previous game, Lord of the Dead?

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
Are you a fan of Monte Cook's Cypher RPG system, for some reason?

OR

Are you both a fan of Jeff Noon's wonderful Vurt novels, like a reasonable person, and able to look past the use of Monte Cook's Cypher RPG system?

Then have I got the Kickstarter for you!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Blind Azathoth posted:

Are you a fan of Monte Cook's Cypher RPG system, for some reason?

OR

Are you both a fan of Jeff Noon's wonderful Vurt novels, like a reasonable person, and able to look past the use of Monte Cook's Cypher RPG system?

Then have I got the Kickstarter for you!
I've never read (or heard of) the Vurt novels, but multiversal things are right up my alley. Let's take a look at

quote:

In Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game, you’re free from the constricting tropes of other games where you get nudged into playing the brawny giant or the stealthy assassin or the buxom sorceress or whatever. Those things are decades behind what you’ll be able to be and do in Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game.
...uh huh.

The whole pitch is making me oddly angry for some reason.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
Oh, yeah, it's horrible. I was so excited when I first saw the Kickstarter up; there'd been talk of a Vurt RPG like a decade ago that died, and whispers about it since, so I was happy to see something finally materialize. And then pretty much everything I read on the page made me sadder. Cypher system, irritating fantasy heartbreaker-style language, $50 for an all-PDF tier (not that they'll likely unlock many stretch goals, anyway)...

But I backed it anyway, because I love Jeff Noon's weirdness and I hate myself.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Sooo it's Shadowrun: Manchester? The premise sounds neat but the Cypher system and Monte Cook are the dealbreaker.

Evil Mastermind posted:

...uh huh.

Yeah that bit was a little... uh, disparaging I guess. "Look here, plebian gamers, no longer will you be bound by the draconian laws of other d20 games! You could not possibly have conceived of the idea that you did not need to conform to well-worn fantasy stereotypes, but worry not! Vurt the RPG is here to free your mind from the shackles that you could never have thrown off without us!"

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006

Serf posted:

Sooo it's Shadowrun: Manchester?

Sorta. Fewer dragons and wizards and trolls, and more people taking shared-hallucination VR/dreamspace drugs, and sometimes things crawl out of the drug worlds, like a living blob of drug jelly or the goddess Persephone.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've never read (or heard of) the Vurt novels, but multiversal things are right up my alley. Let's take a look at

...uh huh.

Plus the Numenera multiverse kickstarter goes up tomorrow. If you're going to go for the cypher system, may as well get some high quality Monte Cook fluff to go with it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jedit posted:

Haha, what a miserable poo poo you are.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

As a game, Exploding Kittens is between Beggar-My-Neighbour and War. So if you're fine with paying money for the Oatmeal's art and a meowing box, more power to you. But when cheap, light games like Skull, Sushi Go, or Love Letter exist, it's impossible to justify Exploding Kittens as a game. Even drunk, I'd still rather play Bullshit, rear end in a top hat, Spoons, or Indian Poker over Exploding Kittens. And those last four games only require a standard 52-card deck.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

$60 for a physical copy. Jeez. KS RPGs need to offer softcover copies if they are going to ask so much for hardcover.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

golden bubble posted:

As a game, Exploding Kittens is between Beggar-My-Neighbour and War. So if you're fine with paying money for the Oatmeal's art and a meowing box, more power to you. But when cheap, light games like Skull, Sushi Go, or Love Letter exist, it's impossible to justify Exploding Kittens as a game. Even drunk, I'd still rather play Bullshit, rear end in a top hat, Spoons, or Indian Poker over Exploding Kittens. And those last four games only require a standard 52-card deck.

Cheat is one of my favourite silly games from a standard deck. My usual strategy is leading with a bid of 26 fours.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Captain Invictus posted:

Haha, what a miserable poo poo you are.

Seriously, how can you hate meowing kittens.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

...uh huh.

Really, any sort of "Unlike other RPGs" statement is a terrible idea in an RPG pitch especially when it makes it pretty clear that "Other RPGs" is just D&D.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've heard good things about Vurt, but gently caress Cypher and double-gently caress that pitch.

Has this ever happened to you?
A Conan the Barbarian type, fedora clumsily perched on his head, glistening chest visible through open trenchcoat, aims the butt of a pistol at something off-screen and pulls the trigger, killing himself.
Now no more! With VURT: THE RPG!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The difference is that I would actually be be interested in Slapstick Noir Conan.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Oh, hey, this is always a good sign in an RPG kickstarter too.

Vurt: The kickstarter. posted:

Ravendesk Games’ quest to secure Jeff Noon’s permission to create Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game has spanned over four years of pitches, design documents, concept illustrations, and general cajoling.

I bet three of those years were trying to convince him to go with their terrible homebrew rules and finally they just gave up and went with Cypher instead.

Serf
May 5, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

Oh, hey, this is always a good sign in an RPG kickstarter too.

I bet three of those years were trying to convince him to go with their terrible homebrew rules and finally they just gave up and went with Cypher instead.

I can only imagine what kind of slapdick system looks bad next to the Cypher system.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Echophonic posted:

The difference is that I would actually be be interested in Slapstick Noir Conan.

If I had any faith in my design chops, I'd be working on the Kickstarter pitch right now.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How different is the Cypher system from its progenitor Numenara, anyway? I remember it having problems with:

-Lots of rolls involving resource management, despite the rules preventing you from making an informed decision by obscuring your target number.
-Not realizing that a decade of game design has happened since Monte's last major game (Arcana Evolved) was released, and thus that poo poo like Compelling an Aspect is not unexplored territory.
-Making a game that focused around exploration, while giving some characters options for combat and only combat.
-LFQW in spades.

What did I miss?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Stumbled across this kickstarter for a game called Legend of the Elements. Looks like a powered by the apocalypse game centered around A:TLA with it's serial numbers filled off. I haven't backed it so I can't see the draft copy, but, from the free preview, it looks like it's using things like "water shaper" instead of "Water bender." This isn't me knocking it, just explaining how it's handling being about an established property without infringing copyright.

So, if anyone has been in the market for this kind of thing, it's here, I guess. No idea if it's good because I'm not good at judging mechanics by a glance, but it doesn't look bad either.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Schisser posted:

Backed Star Patrol, which looks like a pretty sweet microgame. Has anyone played the creator's previous game, Lord of the Dead?

Mine arrived last week, I haven't played it yet but the dude is amazingly dedicated to getting these out and looking nice so it's a pretty safe back.

$11 including shipping worldwide for a game! More of this!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

NGDBSS posted:

How different is the Cypher system from its progenitor Numenara, anyway? I remember it having problems with:

-Lots of rolls involving resource management, despite the rules preventing you from making an informed decision by obscuring your target number.
-Not realizing that a decade of game design has happened since Monte's last major game (Arcana Evolved) was released, and thus that poo poo like Compelling an Aspect is not unexplored territory.
-Making a game that focused around exploration, while giving some characters options for combat and only combat.
-LFQW in spades.

What did I miss?

From my knowledge, the Cypher system is just Numenara and The Strange sans the setting.

Looking up a review for it, I found this:

quote:

That brings us to the first big negative of this review. If you have already tried your hand at Numenera or The Strange and have failed to enjoy it, this book probably isn’t for you. If your problem was the setting, then yes, you might very well enjoy this core book. If, like others, you don’t like the idea of rating things on a scale from 1 to 10, lowering difficulties based on skills, Effort, and assets, and then multiplying by 3 to figure out what you need to beat on a d20 roll, you might want to skip the rest of this review. It’s probably not for you. Nothing here changes the core mechanics of how the game works. In fact, this book essentially strips all the flavor and trappings off the rules, leaving them in their bare form, plain for all to see. Let’s run over some other complaints about the Cypher System I have heard people make:

I don’t like that you spend XP to do things in the game—not only level your character, but avoid GM Intrusion.
I don’t like that there is no set skill list.
I don’t like the piece of GM advice that says to hide target numbers from your players.

The bad—and the good—news is that all of these things remain.

If it helps.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Monte Cook's new Numenera kickstarter is up. Three books; an interstellar sourcebook, an undersea source book and a transdimensional sourcebook. As I said earlier, I think the Numenera fluff is actually really cool, and Ninth World Guidebook is definitely the best book in the series, so if they're just carrying on that theme with more hardbacks, good on them. The physical books package is a tad expensive now, but if their other kickstarters are anything to go by, by the end it might be worth jumping on.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ugh my friend is sending me pictures of the Exploding Kittens "funny" cards that he just got. Just saw a card that said "cancel other player's action" and it's called "nope". Great game design, here.

My friends got it as well. "It is quick and fun". Thank god for the first part of that, as I will probably be forced to play it.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Covok posted:

Stumbled across this kickstarter for a game called Legend of the Elements. Looks like a powered by the apocalypse game centered around A:TLA with it's serial numbers filled off. I haven't backed it so I can't see the draft copy, but, from the free preview, it looks like it's using things like "water shaper" instead of "Water bender." This isn't me knocking it, just explaining how it's handling being about an established property without infringing copyright.

Yeah, that's literally a reskinned A:TLA rpg. The previous (free) editions were called Avatar World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

inklesspen posted:

Yeah, that's literally a reskinned A:TLA rpg. The previous (free) editions were called Avatar World.

Oh, since there were previous free editions of the title, were they any good? Also, somehow, I'm not surprised.

• Locked thread