Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Really forgot how much of Android I did enjoy when I had switched over to iOS last year. I miss apps like Pocket Casts actually downloading content in the background instead of having to launch it and find out "oh hey I need to use mobile data to get this if I really want it right now".

There were so many things just terribly wrong in iOS 8 .. how did I live with it for that long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Really forgot how much of Android I did enjoy when I had switched over to iOS last year. I miss apps like Pocket Casts actually downloading content in the background instead of having to launch it and find out "oh hey I need to use mobile data to get this if I really want it right now".

There were so many things just terribly wrong in iOS 8 .. how did I live with it for that long?

Overcast on iOS does this for me just fine.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Eh that's just a tiny drop in the bucket for crap that didn't work like it should have. Just something nice that I noticed. Also there is no weird distortion over BT for me with my podcasts (got it from every podcast app and with different headsets). Always thought the birds in the park I hike we really active .. turns out it was background noise.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Saw this on SlickDeals, refurbished and unlocked AT&T Samsung Note 4 for $369.99 from eBay which seems like a great price for a solid phone.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ilkhan posted:

Which is exactly what enthusiasts have been screaming for for literally years.
So: yay us.

I think it's good that handset cost are becoming more transparent these days, if only because it stops people comparing the iPhone to $200 outright cheap samsung junkers and deciding Android is bad.

That said, a cost difference of a few hundred dollars over a year or two (still have my N5), for a device that I spend the whole day with and use for a good % of my waking hours, is nothing. I'll buy the best phone available.

Endless Mike posted:

Yup, iOS8 fixed this particular problem for the most part, though there are still a bunch of unbelievable clunky things the OS forces you to do. For anything vaguely computery - moving files between apps etc, it's garbage.

They also announced and started allowing things like 3rd party keyboards, but still haven't made them work reliably!

wooger fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 5, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Grumpwagon posted:

. The reason the 800/801/805 (and some previous qualcomm chips) were so good was because they were designed in house by Qualcomm. Once they have a chance to do that again (i.e. next generation), my guess is they will start to get some market share back.

I really don't know if Qualcomm has plans to go back to custom architecture like Krait rather than just use straight up ARM architecture.

What we know so far is that the 620 series is using A72 in conjunction with A53. A72 is the new "big" high performance ARM architecture. We also are pretty sure that the upcoming 815 is going to use A72 cores.

To me, it seems that Qualcomm is concentrating their engineering efforts into making a good integrated package with battery sipping high performance radios rather than creating custom designs out of baseline ARM architecture.

Even Samsung is using off the shelf ARM now. The Exynos 7 is an A57/A53 combo just like the Snapdragon 810. So, it's down to the manufacturing process of the chipset that's the issue. It's probably no coincidence that the 5433 was only in phablets and tablets. That was the 20nm part and probably allowed them to package the thermals a bit better being in a larger device. For the 7420 in the S6, they dropped down to a 14nm process which is likely why they aren't having thermal issues with those. Also, the Mali GPU may be more efficient than the Adreno which I'm sure contributes to the thermal profile. (Yes, I know that the process numbers are pseudo bullshit due to the way they are measured but they are still useful for apples to apples comparisons.)

At the end of the day, it comes down to fabs. That's where Qualcomm is at a disadvantage and where Intel and Samsung are at the advantage. Qualcomm doesn't own their own fabs so they are at the mercy to what they can contract with.

THAT'S where things get interesting. Reports are that Qualcomm has actually contracted with Samsung to product their next generation flagship processors specifically so they could take advantage of the 14nm process. Coincidentally, Apple is also having Samsung produce the A9 for them.

So, that's where things look less rosy for MediaTek and Rockchip. They probably wouldn't be able to land manufacturing space in Samsungs fabs and will have to use TSMC or the like. That could constrain them a bit from moving from the lower performing end. However, Intel is contracting out their fabs as well so it's hard to say, maybe one or both of them could contract out to Intel and gain access to better processes.

In the end, it's less about the architecture being used as it is who is manufacturing the chips. Mobile processors have reached the commodity state and it's really more about who can package the best overall solution than who can design custom arch.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 5, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

To add to this, it looks like the Stagefright update will be coming to the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2012 and 2013), Nexus 9, Nexus 10, and Nexus Player as a part of a monthly update schedule that all Nexus devices will have.

quote:

Nexus devices have always been among the first Android devices to receive platform and security updates. From this week on, Nexus devices will receive regular OTA updates each month focused on security, in addition to the usual platform updates. The first security update of this kind began rolling out today, Wednesday August 5th, to Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Nexus 10, and Nexus Player. This security update contains fixes for issues in bulletins provided to partners through July 2015, including fixes for the libStageFright issues. At the same time, the fixes will be released to the public via the Android Open Source Project. Nexus devices will continue to receive major updates for at least two years and security patches for the longer of three years from initial availability or 18 months from last sale of the device via the Google Store.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/05/going-forward-nexus-devices-will-see-monthly-security-updates-first-up-are-the-nexus-4-5-6-7-9-and-10/
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/08/an-update-to-nexus-devices.html

EDIT: Also, carriers are starting to push OTA updates to fix the Stagefright bug:

AT&T:
Galaxy Note 4 (N910AUCU2COC6)
Galaxy S6 Active (G890AUCU2AU2AOF4)
Galaxy S5 (G900AUCU4BOF3)
Galaxy S5 Active (G870AUCU2BOF3)

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/05/att-pushing-stagefright-update-to-galaxy-s5-galaxy-note-4-and-others/

Sprint:
Galaxy S6 (G920PVPU2BOGA)
Galaxy S6 Edge (G925PVPU2BOGA)
Galaxy S5 (G900PVPU3BOG1)
Galaxy Note Edge (N915PVPU4COG1)

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/05/sprint-pushing-stagefright-patches-to-galaxy-s6-s6-edge-s5-and-note-edge/

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 5, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I used to believe it was wise to spend extra on a device that would get constant use, until it finally dawned on me that I didn't do any 3D gaming so I was wasting my money. "Features" like an 810 processor or a Quad HD Screen don't enhance the experience for the vast majority of apps and use cases, but introduce real downsides like added cost and reduced battery life.

The Moto G is all you really need, in a solid package with great software and at a great price. All hail the commoditization of smartphones!

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 5, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

To add to this, it looks like the Stagefright update will be coming to the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2012 and 2013), Nexus 9, Nexus 10, and Nexus Player as a part of a monthly update schedule that all Nexus devices will have.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/05/going-forward-nexus-devices-will-see-monthly-security-updates-first-up-are-the-nexus-4-5-6-7-9-and-10/
http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/08/an-update-to-nexus-devices.html

Samsung is also adopting the same policy.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/05/...t&ncid=rss_semi

quote:

To ensure that your Samsung devices get timely updates when security issues arise, the company announced a new plan for the patches. Samsung is changing how it handles the security problems by fast tracking fixes via over-the-air updates which will happen "regularly about once per month." The device maker says it worked with carriers to quickly patch the Android Stagefright flaw that let hackers access phones through MMS videos. Moving forward, Samsung will employ a similar process for beaming out updates, with a hand from carriers and other partners to make sure Android gadgets are updated as soon as possible -- especially when it comes to critical issues. "Since software is constantly exploited in new ways, developing a fast response process to deliver security patches to our devices is critical to keep them protected," explains Samsung executive vice president Dong Jin Koh. Expect to see more info on devices and update timelines in the near future.

Hopefully Motorola will chime in soon with a similar policy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Samsung is also adopting the same policy.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/05/...t&ncid=rss_semi

Hopefully Motorola will chime in soon with a similar policy.

AT&T and Sprint have also just pushed updates to fix Stagefright on their Samsung devices.

Looks like it takes a serious exploit to make carriers, OEMs, and Google work together. :v: Google, AT&T, and Sprint all pushing OTAs on the exact same day....maybe hell froze over?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I think you'll find it's called HellFreeze

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FistEnergy posted:

I used to believe it was wise to spend extra on a device that would get constant use, until it finally dawned on me that I didn't do any 3D gaming so I was wasting my money. "Features" like an 810 processor or a Quad HD Screen don't enhance the experience for the vast majority of apps and use cases, but introduce real downsides like added cost and reduced battery life.

The Moto G is all you really need, in a solid package with great software and at a great price. All hail the commoditization of smartphones!

This 100%

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Or last year's flagship. Moto X 2014 for $200 like new on eBay owns!

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

That happens with every new technology. Radios were once the center of family entertainment, but have been commodities for a long time. TVs are currently fighting against it. They had a bit of a bump when HD came along, and they keep adding things like 3D and 4K in an attempt to stay special/relevant, but eventually they will be commodities too (they already are if you ask me, 3D and 4K just aren't worth much).

Smartphones are heading that way, but they probably could find a few ways to delay it. The form factor could potentially be improved (holographic or something like it), it could become the de facto payment method in all first world countries (Japan is already there I believe), etc. Just takes some scientific advances and some creativity.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

baka kaba posted:

I think you'll find it's called HellFreeze

Considering the Note 4 was the first device to get the patch I'd say that'd be a pretty apt name.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

FistEnergy posted:

This, right here. This is exactly why I decided to 'downgrade' to a Moto G and sell my Note 4. I will never buy a flagship ever again. Remember when DVD players used to be hundreds of dollars? Now you can go down to Walmart and pick one up for twenty bucks? Yeah. Same thing's happening to smartphones, and I love it.

Also, the only flagships I honestly thought were still worth buying were Samsung phones, purely for the SD slot and removeable battery (so the loving thing wouldn't explode in two years), but now Samsung is going the whole "we Apple now lol" route and now they are dead to me.

I seem to remember Motorola phones getting Lollipop before Nexus ones. Does the new Moto G already have the stagefright fix, or will be getting it soon?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

So, that's where things look less rosy for MediaTek and Rockchip. They probably wouldn't be able to land manufacturing space in Samsungs fabs and will have to use TSMC or the like. That could constrain them a bit from moving from the lower performing end. However, Intel is contracting out their fabs as well so it's hard to say, maybe one or both of them could contract out to Intel and gain access to better processes.

Intel and Rockchip already have a partnership. I believe Intel plans on cranking out their cheap Sofia stuff and having Rockchip push that poo poo all over China

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
With the new Moto G, can you set it up so all media get saved directly to the SD card? The only thing holding me back is the 16GB max of RAM. I haven't come close to filling the 32GB on my N5 but I'm almost always over 16. I'd hate to buy it and just be constantly having to manage apps and media until I get frustrated enough and have to buy a different phone.

Edit: I should probably mention the reasons I'm thinking of switching are camera and battery life, both of which are less than ideal on the N5.

PurpleJesus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 5, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PurpleJesus posted:

16GB max of RAM.
:argh:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I read a comment somewhere that said you could format SDcards as system space with Android M, is that true?

edit: five seconds of googling later: http://www.sammobile.com/2015/05/30/android-m-is-bringing-extensive-sd-card-support-at-a-very-ironic-time/

quote:

But now, with Android M, Google is introducing support for external storage in a way that no one would ever have thought possible – on Android M, the OS will adopt an SD card inserted into a device and treat it like internal storage, and allow users to install apps on the card.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

PurpleJesus posted:

With the new Moto G, can you set it up so all media get saved directly to the SD card? The only thing holding me back is the 16GB max of RAM. I haven't come close to filling the 32GB on my N5 but I'm almost always over 16. I'd hate to buy it and just be constantly having to manage apps and media until I get frustrated enough and have to buy a different phone.

Not sure what you mean, you can pretty easily set it so that all pictures and video are automatically saved to the SD card? Downloading things through the browser, you'd probably have to specify.

Battery, so far, seems to blow what I remember of my Nexii 4 and 5 out of the water. Much closer to the Note 4 than those phones, but maybe not quite as nice.

Camera might not be as great as the latest iFucker2000 but it's certainly better than you'd think for a $200 phone. Here are some more catte pictures taken, again, in not the most ideal of light conditions (plus, in both of the pictures of Mortimer [black and white] his head is moving because I cannot get this loving cat to sit still for a picture goddamn)

(with flash)

I cannot sing this phone's praises enough, considering the price. I would recommend a Moto G3 (that's what my computer calls it when I plug it in so I guess that's the official name?) to anybody looking for a new phone. The difference between this phone and an iPhone is $700 and one of them has the Apple logo on it.

And yeah the Android M thing sounds amazing, so there's that. And, considering that Motorola phones were first in line for Lollipop (even before Google phones), there might not be too long of a wait.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It doesn't have OIS right? Camera shots still better than what you get with Nexus 5?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It depends on the app with the SD card. For example, you can tell google music to put the pinned music on the SD card. Flixster and Vudu have SD card support as well. Same with Play Movies, you can pin to external storage.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

WhyteRyce posted:

It doesn't have OIS right? Camera shots still better than what you get with Nexus 5?

Does not, but definitely better than the Nexus 5. I have a fairly steady hand (I decorate cakes) so it's not too big an issue for me. ymmv

v Edit: Well, again, his head was moving, so. You can see a lot of detail in the rest of the photo (wall, printer, mouse)

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 5, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mortimer looks too washed out in that flash shot, hope they can fix that with an update

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Holy moly look at those sale prices on T-Mobile, particularly the S6 ones:

quote:

Samsung Galaxy S6
  • 32GB for $579.99 ($99.93 off)
  • 64GB for $659.99 ($100 off)
  • 128GB for $659.99 ($200 off)
    Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
  • 32GB for $679.99 ($99.77 off)
  • 64GB for $759.99 ($99.84 off)
  • 128GB for $759.99 ($199.84 off)
    LG G4 for $479.76 ($120 off)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 for $429.92 ($100 off with coupon code SAVEBIG)
    ZTE ZMAX for $149.76 ($48 off)
    G Leon LTE for $99.99 ($39.93 off)
    LG G Stylo for $289.99 ($40 off)

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.

Yeah, I'm an idiot. I was trying to post really quickly before a meeting.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RVProfootballer posted:

Or last year's flagship. Moto X 2014 for $200 like new on eBay owns!

Hmmm. Moto X 2014 for $200 or the new Moto G for $220?

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Daily Forecast posted:

Not sure what you mean, you can pretty easily set it so that all pictures and video are automatically saved to the SD card? Downloading things through the browser, you'd probably have to specify.

Cool. I've never had a phone with an SD card so I wasn't sure if it was really simple to do. I might order one and if I don't like it, return it and wait for the X. I did love Moto Voice when I had the '13 X.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Hughmoris posted:

New Moto G. Better camera and battery life, which were very weak on the X. Plus longer access to updates and customizable with Moto Maker.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I'm in the market for a Dual Sim phone - is the Zenphone 2 the best bang for your buck right now?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

FistEnergy posted:

New Moto G. Better camera and battery life, which were very weak on the X. Plus longer access to updates and customizable with Moto Maker.

I'd say opposite, for what it's worth. I've been pretty impressed with the Moto X 2014 battery given all the gnashing of teeth about it, and this is coming from a LG G2 with great battery. I fully admit to not using it as much as some of you might, though; ~4 hours of SoT in a day is plenty for me and the X gets that easily for me. Better than I got from a Nexus 5, fwiw. The camera is also not as bad as I was expecting, though definitely a bit worse than the G2's. I don't have any confidence the new Moto G will have updates for longer than the flagship released just one year earlier, too. Finally, black understated phones look nice, who needs gaudy customization :)

But yeah, the G should definitely have better battery life, so that could be worth it for you. And if you like customization, obviously the G wins on that. FistEnergy didn't mention it, but doesn't the new G have an sd card slot? If 16 GB isn't enough for you, that's what I was seeing for $200 on eBay, not sure how much more you'll have to pay for 32 GB. For camera (edit: oh actually, did the G get the Nexus 6's sensor? That should be better than the Moto X 2014, yeah?) and updates, I'd bet on the X still, though I could be wrong. Either way, I think you should be happy with what you get!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the G has an SD slot and the Nexus 6 camera. Early results look promising.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
New Moto G has a SD Card slot that supports up to 32GB.

If my Nexus 6 died right now, I'd pick up this phone, no doubt. Especially for $220 for a 16GB.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Note you can use a larger SD card than 32GB too. They just only officially support 32 due to licensing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

I'd say opposite, for what it's worth. I've been pretty impressed with the Moto X 2014 battery given all the gnashing of teeth about it, and this is coming from a LG G2 with great battery. I fully admit to not using it as much as some of you might, though; ~4 hours of SoT in a day is plenty for me and the X gets that easily for me. Better than I got from a Nexus 5, fwiw. The camera is also not as bad as I was expecting, though definitely a bit worse than the G2's. I don't have any confidence the new Moto G will have updates for longer than the flagship released just one year earlier, too. Finally, black understated phones look nice, who needs gaudy customization :)

But yeah, the G should definitely have better battery life, so that could be worth it for you. And if you like customization, obviously the G wins on that. FistEnergy didn't mention it, but doesn't the new G have an sd card slot? If 16 GB isn't enough for you, that's what I was seeing for $200 on eBay, not sure how much more you'll have to pay for 32 GB. For camera (edit: oh actually, did the G get the Nexus 6's sensor? That should be better than the Moto X 2014, yeah?) and updates, I'd bet on the X still, though I could be wrong. Either way, I think you should be happy with what you get!

Battery life on the X is pretty lackluster for me. I get through a typical day OK but if I'm out for an extended period of time or have to use it more than normal then I better bring along an external battery.

An one of the reasons I want to replace my wife's N5 is that 16GB isn't enough for her unless I clean her photos off regularly.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

WhyteRyce posted:

An one of the reasons I want to replace my wife's N5 is that 16GB isn't enough for her unless I clean her photos off regularly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sudo.picremove

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WhyteRyce posted:

There's a joke in there somewhere about me having to clean your wife's photo off regularly too.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

By clean off I mean move them over to my server where all our photos are stored. I use dropsync on my phone for this but she has another Dropbox account she uses for work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Just tried the app. It's neat and I know the developer needs to make money for his/her effort, but goodness are the in-app ads positively obtrusive. After every clean, ads blast you. Auto-play videos, images, all of it.

So, if you are remotely interested in this app, pay the $2.99 instantly. Your sanity depends on it.