Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

theflyingorc posted:

THAT GAME IS FINE

but it's a whole lot worse than thousand year door and getting rid of the RPG battles entirely was silly

i would've said sticker star but that's not a game, it's an abomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hey Ian, if you're still taking suggestions, make an app where people can take phone screen shots that don't look like poo poo.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

madeupfred posted:

Hey Ian, if you're still taking suggestions, take the meds

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
transact-
ional

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

considering it's closely partnered with a bunch of convenience/discount stores, im guessing its also trying to be a "loyalty card" ie tracks your purchases and offers coupons and "discounts" on items that whose prices were jacked up in order to make the card prices seem cheap. why this should include protected medical data, which they are legally barred from using for advertising purposes, is anybody's guess

It's this times a million, remember CurrentC wasn't designed with users in mind it was a reaction to EMV/ Tokenezation. See large retailers all have loyalty plans, but most shoppers don't sign up for them; so what they started doing was tracking the actual card used. So after one transaction they have your name and credit card number and that's enough to start cross referencing with other publicly available information databases and building a complete profile.

Then along came EMV and NFC both of which, when properly configured, use tokenezation; which is far more secure and less prone to fraud, but also scared the poo poo out of retailers because it breaks this system irreparably. From an industry paper:

quote:

The second component of the solution, tokenization, returns a “token” to the merchant in lieu of the live credit card number in the authorization response. Tokenization is the process of replacing sensitive data with surrogate values that remove risk but preserve value to the business.

To tokenize a payment transaction, the PAN is sent to a centralized and highly secure server called a “vault” where it is stored securely in a PCI-compliant environment. Immediately after authorization from the card issuer, a random, unique, token number is generated and returned to the merchant’s systems for use in place of the PAN. A secure cross-reference table is established to allow authorized look-up of the original PAN, using the token as the index. Without authorization to access the vault and look up the PAN, the token value is meaningless; it’s just a random number. If the token is stolen or otherwise accessed by an unauthorized user, it alone cannot be used to perform a monetary transaction.

The token can be used just like the original card number for business functions such as returns, sales reports, marketing analysis, recurring payments, and so on, but cannot be used to conduct a fraudulent transaction outside the merchant environment. The aim of tokenization is to remove the card information from the merchant environment as completely and quickly as possible (thus addressing the root cause of data security issues) while maintaining existing business processes.

The bolded part is what caused the aforementioned poo poo scaring, processors and banks were now pushing to prevent merchants from gathering any identifying information about the user at all. Every time a user uses ApplePay, Google Wallet or a properly configured EMV terminal all the merchant gets is an authorization with a random token number attached. You could use the same card at the same merchant every day for a month and they would literally have no way to identify you or your purchases.

Enter MCX founded and funded almost entirely by current and ex-WalMart people and whose goal is the exact opposite of tokenezation. Every transaction will use the same QR code, allowing system wide tracking of transactions. Every bit of user data will, by default, be collected and shared between all members; so WalMart will know you just filled a prescription for hemorrhoid medication at CVS and pop up a donut pillow ad when you walk in. Best of all it'll be tied directly to your checking account so not only can they avoid paying processing fees but you will have almost no power to chargeback.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 5, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bucketmouse posted:

i would've said sticker star but that's not a game, it's an abomination

at least we can agree that thousand year door is a super good game, friend

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
so how many goats are behind this thousand year door

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Dr. Honked posted:

so how many goats are behind this thousand year door

the 999.999999... year door

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
when you open the thousand year door.. the thousand year goat stares back

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
monty is then going to open 998 doors with goats behind them,

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
LOL if you use credit cards at retail stores. You'd think after Big Box #49107 Hacked people would learn their lesson.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yes I learned that I will have no liability for fraud and will be promptly issued a new credit card

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

madeupfred posted:

LOL if you use credit cards at retail stores. You'd think after Big Box #49107 Hacked people would learn their lesson.

i, too, avoid easy convenient methods of payment because they might be hacked and then i'll get a new card and any fraudulent charges will be quickly and easily reversed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

i, too, avoid easy convenient methods of payment because they might be hacked and then i'll get a new card and any fraudulent charges will be quickly and easily reversed

lol @ you falling for the troll

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

As a Millennial I posted:

lol @ you falling for the troll

what a weirdly uninteresting troll, then

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

what a weirdly uninteresting troll, then

yospos bith

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

JawnV6 posted:

monty is then going to open 998 doors with goats behind them,

last two doors contain an airplane on a treadmill, and a stern lecture on circumcision aka male genital mutilation, respectively.
choose wisely.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

audio adapter for Chromecast, because ... no AirPlay?

I guess it is cheaper and smaller than $60 on Amazon

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 5, 2015

Underwear
May 13, 2006

MrMoo posted:

Neither of these make sense to me - why wouldn't you just connect the audio out on the TV to your sound system? Problem solved.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

because then you have to run your TV, which uses more power?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrMoo posted:

heh, NAD

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

MrMoo posted:

most people who would be buying this have av recievers than can take hdmi in already right???

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

if only there was some universal protocol to wirelessly transmit audio, you could then make a receiver with a simple 3.5mm jack

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I made one of those rpi things that does it over the network via airplay for my dad but he never uses it anymore.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

http://megagogo.co/

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

seems legit

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The volume of pledges has overwhelmed our system and we’re unable to process your pledge at this time. We’re attempting to fix the problem as quickly as possible but half our developers have taken advantage of our unlimited vacation policy to finish their LED mindfulness art car.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

change SF to Mexico and see if Trump will back it

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
Moment of the week, iWatch app heart rate status lie detector on your partner how far does the underground hackathon go towards unawareness.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
take your meds, ian

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ian McLean posted:

Moment of the week, iWatch app heart rate status lie detector on your partner how far does the underground hackathon go towards unawareness.

you know lie detectors don't actually work right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

you know lie detectors don't actually work right?

they are useful at getting confessions out of people who don't know this

also, take yr meds ian

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
ian - the open data movement is starting to take off, and a friend of mine was recently bemoaning the fact that there are no places to *easily* publish open data sets. it strikes me that statpedia could be a great place for this, with a bit of work in the right direction. maybe you should talk to some open data people?

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

theflyingorc posted:

you have to make game RNGs not actually random because it turns out that people actually hate hate hate true randomness.

this is because people are stupid

use random 2d6 and divide by two. there, now most of your rolls end up in the middle, where its safe.

EDIT: woops that was three pages ago! sorry everyone, please piss in my mouth.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ5aIvjNgao

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

seems like it would be a lot easier to just build a wall around burning man?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

syscall girl posted:

they are useful at getting confessions out of people who don't know this

also, take yr meds ian

idea, app that verifies your medication and checks open databases for interactions with your instagrammed meals. it tells your friends if the interaction is comical and adds that to a fun foods database too then tracks it with other entertaining interactions. you pay for foods that interact poorly in views of food that interacts entertainingly

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

god drat i never finished watching that show and i wish i never stopped

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

get yourself some hbonow or Amazon prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Wire is so loving good. so is Oz even if it's weirdly dated

also Fun Fact, if you watch those two shows you've seen everyone who has ever worked on TV

• Locked thread