Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yes, yes and yes. Republic is not as good as Lies (I doubt Lynch will ever be able to top Lies and I hope that doesn't gnaw at him too much) but it's a fine book and better than Red Seas. Mind you I didn't think Red Seas was that bad - I think people just had an understandable reaction to it being lacklustre compared to Lies and having to wait so long for book three. I'll be surprised if Thorn really comes out this year though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Half of Republic is poo poo. Opinions differ on which half, though. Red Seas works just fine, it just doesn't go in any new places after Lies.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
The worst bits of Lynch are still better than a ton of other big name books out there. Not living up to Lies is unfortunate, but they're still really good books and absolutely worth picking up.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Counterpoint: Half of Republic is poo poo. Opinions differ on which half, though. Red Seas works just fine, it just doesn't go in any new places after Lies.

My only major issue with Republic was that the election stuff had very little to do with the actual election. I love political themes in SF but it had very little to show for it. So yeah, I'm one of those who preferred the flashback half more than the current half.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Any half with the Sanza twins is better by default.

Personally I enjoyed Republic quite a bit and returning to that world was really fun. I get why people were lukewarm on the politics half of the book and admit there were times where I felt, "What's the point of this?" but overall I was satisfied with where the story went.

Then of course there's the epilogue, which was some of the most :black101: poo poo I've ever read.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

I like Soon I Will Be Invincible, as it happens, but I'll grant you it's... not really a complete book. Dr Impossible makes for a great character study, and I think the book pulls off this neat trick where, from the outside, he looks like this preposterous, eccentric, larger than life Dr Doom type, and then on the inside he comes across as this much more nuanced, human character, and the book manages to link those two together in a way that the one seems to flow naturally from the other. Fatale, unfortunately, is bland and her arc goes nowhere, much like the plot in general. A lot of the book seems to exist to facilitate these subtle little pastiches of superhero tropes (like Dr Impossible/CoreFire's backstory mutating every other chapter, because they've been about thirty-five for the past sixty years), which is cute but not something you should be building a novel around.

My recollection is that Fatale's arc was mostly a meta commentary on women/minorities in comic books. Nothing happens in her arc because she's an add-on, not a legacy character. (Like Cyborg in DC, she is also a cyborg.)

Similarly, the Lois Lane analogue saves the day after revealing how her story has been ignored.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Antti posted:

My only major issue with Republic was that the election stuff had very little to do with the actual election. I love political themes in SF but it had very little to show for it. So yeah, I'm one of those who preferred the flashback half more than the current half.
Yeah, I'm probably the only one who actually enjoyed the political fuckery more than the flashback story. For some reason I ended up really loathing Sabetha.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Evfedu posted:

I quite enjoyed Lies but I heard That Red Seas was a bit of filler/fluff. Is he showing signs of getting it together with Republic of Thieves? Are hopes high for Thorn of Emberlain? Should I spend Ł6 on three books?

All three are good. Lies was outright fantastic, so the other two had quite a bit to live up to. Republic of Thieves was very good in my opinion. I liked Red Seas, but it's the lesser of the three.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nullkigan posted:

The Amazon monthlies look like they got updated overnight.

All the currently released books in Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series are down to Ł1.99 on Amazon UK for the month. James Clavell's Shogun part one (of two; the rest of the six books are basically standalone if memory serves) is down to Ł0.99, but might not be as fun without Toshiro Mifune and all the hammy acting of the TV Miniseries. Otherwise nothing is jumping out at me.
Yeah, James Clavell's asia novels are not connected in almost any way, excect for the chinese trading family ones. They're all excellent reads, although he pulled a GRRM in one of the later ones that pissed me off enough I didn't read any more LOL

King Rat was also amazing and the movie couldn't do it justice.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The Martian movie looks like they are keeping close to the book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wygmxzp6VzY

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Any half with the Sanza twins is better by default.

This. I'd be way happier if he'd drop the whole stupid present-time plot and just tell more caper stories with the Sanzas.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Seldom Posts posted:

My recollection is that Fatale's arc was mostly a meta commentary on women/minorities in comic books. Nothing happens in her arc because she's an add-on, not a legacy character. (Like Cyborg in DC, she is also a cyborg.)

Similarly, the Lois Lane analogue saves the day after revealing how her story has been ignored.

That's definitely there, but if something's dull to make a point, does that excuse it being dull? Looking around, the most common complaint with the book seems to be that it's "poorly paced" and "has a lot of filler". Which... well. When people make that sort of complaint, I often think they're overvaluing plot movement and undervaluing character development, but people don't necessarily have to value the same things in a narrative that I do, do they? The observation that half of the book goes nowhere in order to highlight the marginalisation of minority characters in comic books makes the book thematically richer, but if someone finds the actual mechanical process of reading it a chore I don't think that's going to help them much.

The Lois Lane's story does the same thing, and more efficiently. Which means Fatale is marginalised even inside her own theme on marginalisation, now that I think about it. :suicide:

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Evfedu posted:

I quite enjoyed Lies but I heard That Red Seas was a bit of filler/fluff. Is he showing signs of getting it together with Republic of Thieves? Are hopes high for Thorn of Emberlain? Should I spend Ł6 on three books?
Someone already said it, but Lies was absolutely fantastic, 11/10. It's true that Red Seas was not as good, but it was still a 8/10 IMHO. Better than most of the other stuff I've read lately. There's no way it could have lived up to Lies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Antti posted:

Republic is not as good as Lies (I doubt Lynch will ever be able to top Lies and I hope that doesn't gnaw at him too much) but it's a fine book and better than Red Seas.

Liar.

anilEhilated posted:

Liar.

CaptCommy posted:

The worst bits of Lynch are still better than a ton of other big name books out there. Not living up to Lies is unfortunate, but they're still really good books and absolutely worth picking up.

Bastard!

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Sabetha's great because she actively resists becoming an appendage of the series' male main character, which is a fate that befalls too many female characters in fantasy, from the nominally interesting to the wastes of pagetime. There's also a sad bit of meta commentary going on where you get the feeling that Sabetha could have been the hero of her own series, going off and having her own adventures, if the fantasy genre wasn't so dude centric.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Thanks for the suggestions a couple of pages ago, everyone. Looks like a few things to occupy me for a bit.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I'm probably the only one who actually enjoyed the political fuckery more than the flashback story. For some reason I ended up really loathing Sabetha.

There were points where I was this close and I felt like the author was throwing his hands up, rolling his eyes and going "Women, am I right?"

Mars4523 posted:

Sabetha's great because she actively resists becoming an appendage of the series' male main character, which is a fate that befalls too many female characters in fantasy, from the nominally interesting to the wastes of pagetime. There's also a sad bit of meta commentary going on where you get the feeling that Sabetha could have been the hero of her own series, going off and having her own adventures, if the fantasy genre wasn't so dude centric.

Yeah, this in turn was actually cool about it. Basically it felt like on a few occasions Sabetha's motivations for doing what she did were inscrutable to the point of frustration, but it also helped keep that distance to the character - basically, she has been doing her own thing, and we won't be let inside her head to see what exactly her reasoning is, we'll just have to assume she's rational and not just being difficult or contrary for the sake of.

I'm still kind of baffled as to how Sabetha ended up falling for Locke at any point though - it just feels weird and inexplicable to me given that Locke's infatuation with her is a pretty off-putting sort of puppy love. Their relationship would have made more sense as a sibling rivalry and it does have some aspects of that. I just can't buy it as a romantic relationship - when it was just Locke's side of the story it was easy to see as infatuation, but then Sabetha starts returning his feelings and I'm flabbergasted.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 4, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was what I was getting from it as well, it feels like they end up together because Plot Demands It. Like, I know gender equality and correctness thingamajigs are a big theme today but that doesn't make her a consistent (or good) character. It just feels she does a lot of what she does without motivation.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

That's definitely there, but if something's dull to make a point, does that excuse it being dull?

I believe this is the definition of literature. All hail genre fiction!

I like your point about marginalization inside marginalization.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Got to meet one of the authors that got me into reading as a child, Terry Brooks. I haven't read his stuff in years but it was cool to meet him. He is a very short old man!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kaddish posted:

Got to meet one of the authors that got me into reading as a child, Terry Brooks. I haven't read his stuff in years but it was cool to meet him. He is a very short old man!

Brooks catches some poo poo for the Shannara series and its various foibles, but I enjoyed the Knight of the Word books more than I thought I would, and when I was younger I thought Magic Kingdom of Landover was an interesting approach to the somewhat overused "person from our world transported to fantasy realm, saves everyone" plot. I won't say it's great, but it wasn't terrible.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I got an ARC of Emma Newman's Planetfall, which is coming out this fall. It's good! Reminded me a lot of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

A woman wakes up from a coma with a set of numbers on her lips and genius-level intelligence. The numbers point to a distant planet. She organizes an interstellar expedition, convinced that something incredible is calling — maybe some kind of panspermic ancestor, maybe God.

The story picks up twenty years after planetfall, in a colony built next to a huge biosynthetic structure they call 'god's city'. The protagonist was coma lady's best friend, before coma lady went into the city and vanished.

If you like claustrophobic psychological horror and stories about exploring weird alien poo poo, I recommend it!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

General Battuta posted:

If you like claustrophobic psychological horror and stories about exploring weird alien poo poo, I recommend it!

Fuckin' sold!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hello thread, has anyone read Robin Hobb's new Fitz book? As someone who think she's been off form since she finished the Tawny Man trilogy, would this change my mind?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I know this is supposed to go into the "identify that book thread", but since it's a fantasy book I thought it woul dbe more appropriate here (and that the chances of someone who doesn't read the identify thread will see it are better).

Fantasy, the MC is a young monk in either a lighthouse or a monastery (although I seem to remember that he's alone) who turns out to be someone important (a prince or a powerful mage or something like that). That's all I remember.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

General Battuta posted:

I got an ARC of Emma Newman's Planetfall, which is coming out this fall. It's good! Reminded me a lot of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

A woman wakes up from a coma with a set of numbers on her lips and genius-level intelligence. The numbers point to a distant planet. She organizes an interstellar expedition, convinced that something incredible is calling — maybe some kind of panspermic ancestor, maybe God.

The story picks up twenty years after planetfall, in a colony built next to a huge biosynthetic structure they call 'god's city'. The protagonist was coma lady's best friend, before coma lady went into the city and vanished.

Sounds like Prometheus.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

General Battuta posted:

That sounds fantastic and is going on my to-buy list immediately.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't want to oversell it — it's a compelling read and I blew through it, but it's not Blindsight or Annihilation. Still, I liked it a lot!

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds just up my alley. Preorder: Successful. Thanks!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh, for people who like alt-history and/or China Miéville, he's doing an alt-history novel next year called The Last Days of New Paris! That's two new works for 2016, along with the standalone novella This Census Taker. So exciting.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Well that sounds promising!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

General Battuta posted:

I don't want to oversell it — it's a compelling read and I blew through it, but it's not Blindsight or Annihilation. Still, I liked it a lot!

what did you think of archivist wasp?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

andrew smash posted:

what did you think of archivist wasp?

I have a copy but haven't read it yet. I am acquaintances with the author so I'm not going to have an unbiased take.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Barbe Rouge posted:

I know this is supposed to go into the "identify that book thread", but since it's a fantasy book I thought it woul dbe more appropriate here (and that the chances of someone who doesn't read the identify thread will see it are better).

Fantasy, the MC is a young monk in either a lighthouse or a monastery (although I seem to remember that he's alone) who turns out to be someone important (a prince or a powerful mage or something like that). That's all I remember.
This is super-little to go on but it sounds a lot like The Darkness That Comes Before from the Prince of Nothing series.

Planetfall added to my To Read list because, frankly, what is Blindsight.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

I was hoping for a rewrite of this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/981838.Planetfall

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Evfedu posted:

This is super-little to go on but it sounds a lot like The Darkness That Comes Before from the Prince of Nothing series.

Planetfall added to my To Read list because, frankly, what is Blindsight.

I managed to find out the name of the series in the meantime: The Chronicles of Josan by Patricia Bray.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I just finished Jack Glass by Adam Roberts. I enjoyed it, other than the ending being a bit meh. Is his other stuff any good? Alternately, is there a recommendation for something similar out there?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
A new bundle from StoryBundle, called Women in Sci-Fi is out today

$5 gives you
  • Crossfire by Nancy Kress
  • Memory by Linda Nagata
  • Recovering Apollo 8 by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
  • Near + Far by Cat Rambo
  • The Phoenix Code by Catherine Asaro
$15 also gives you
  • Starfarers by Vonda N. McIntyre
  • The Diving Bundle by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
  • Forgotten Suns by Judith Tarr
  • Strong Arm Tactics by Jody Lynn Nye
  • Stars - The Anthology by edited by Janis Ian and Mike Resnick
Last year I bought the first book in the Diving series, Diving into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, after reading an interesting review, probably on io9 or SF Signal, but never got around to reading it yet.
Supposedly it's some fun action oriented space opera, but that's all I know.

Anyone know any of the other books?

Vylan Antagonist
Jun 5, 2005

Much less clever than he looks
Tortured By Flan

quote:

Another possibility is The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. Amazon kept recommending it incessantly and when I was temporarily between books, I caved. One of the main characters was indeed a prince "hidden away" at a monastery as the book opened. Then Oblivion gates started opening and Martin had the king was assassinated and the prince needed to be recalled.

Edit- Also, maybe Flesh and Spirit by Carol Berg?

Vylan Antagonist fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Vylan Antagonist posted:

Another possibility is The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. Amazon kept recommending it incessantly and when I was temporarily between books, I caved. One of the main characters was indeed a prince "hidden away" at a monastery as the book opened. Then Oblivion gates started opening and Martin had the king was assassinated and the prince needed to be recalled.

Edit- Also, maybe Flesh and Spirit by Carol Berg?

I've already found the series - The Chronicles of Josan by Patricia Bray.

I've read Carol Berg's Lighthouse Duet and they're great. Can't wait for the final book of the Sanctuary Duet.