Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Would like some feedback on my position at the top of my swing... been working on a shorter backswing and earlier wrist set lately, it's working well with my irons from about 6-7i thru wedges but my longer clubs, especially driver, are not having as good of results. I've got a two way miss going, snap hook and/or push fade.

http://i.imgur.com/1smgq2R.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vVOqu2I.jpg

Seems like I don't have enough depth, in the first one the club face looks open club looks across the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Neither of those look that bad to me, but it's hard to judge a swing solely by a couple images.

We just finished the second day of the Member-Guest. Yesterday my boss and I shot a +2 73, not terrible but we definitely felt like we could have been a few shots lower. We had a double bogey on an easy par 4 because we took four strokes to get in the hole after being in the rough 15 yards from pin after our approach. Low score in our flight was a 68, there were a couple 71s too. The upside: I made a 25' putt with a ton of break from the fringe for a birdie on a par 3. We won the skin on that hole and it was the only skin in the entire flight so we won $360. That paid for our tournament and bets right there which felt pretty great. My boss had a rough day and we ended up using my shot probably 90% of the time, but we still did well.

This morning was round 2, we started tied for fourth. Boss played better and I played slightly worse, but we never both had a terrible shot at the same time so it worked out great. Shot even par with three birdies, no skins for them though. We ended up in a three way tie for first place in the flight. There was a 66' chip-off to decide ties. It was on the practice area right next to the clubhouse with a ton of people watching... Stuck my shot to 3 feet and we won the flight. If I had hit any pitches that well in the regular rounds we probably would have won outright but it felt great to do that with so much pressure on me. I won't know how all the bets and prizes end up until tomorrow but I made at least $200 profit this weekend playing golf. :feelsgood:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Neither of those look that bad to me, but it's hard to judge a swing solely by a couple images.

True, gonna edit a bunch of swings together and post

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Today was a great golf day for me. I started learning to golf earlier this summer and took a batch of four group lessons after never touching a club before. I got through those with some small improvements, and tried another set. I'm on week three of four and it finally clicked. I finally, through lots of small changes, am able to hit the ball consistently and correctly. I'm not good at all, but the feeling of not consistently topping the ball or swatting it to the side is fantastic. What a game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ironlung posted:

True, gonna edit a bunch of swings together and post
It'd be best if you could post the actual videos. Just upload to Youtube or something.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009

pmac posted:

I sent PMs to Kameh and Ribsauce asking for email addresses so they can get the invites. Minstrels, you mind posting yours briefly so I can get it sent over to you since you don't have messages?

Got it, thanks!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My FJ Superlites are wearing out, and I'd like to have a pair of really light walking shoes for better days. Something like another pair of Superlites, or the old M Projects, without softspikes, just the nubs. Suggestions?

E: To elaborate, I don't need them to be waterproof or anything, just really really light for walking on dry days.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

My FJ Superlites are wearing out, and I'd like to have a pair of really light walking shoes for better days. Something like another pair of Superlites, or the old M Projects, without softspikes, just the nubs. Suggestions?

E: To elaborate, I don't need them to be waterproof or anything, just really really light for walking on dry days.
The Adidas Boost look really badass.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The Adidas Boost look really badass.

I... wow, yeah they do.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

http://www.budgetgolf.com/FootJoy-M-Project-Cleated-Golf-Shoes-White-Orange.html

Almost pulled the trigger on these earlier. $30 Project M, sizes 9.5 - 11. White/orange stripes, but whatever. I got some Ashworth Cardiff ADC shoes for around $50. They're pretty comfortable for walking. I've got 3 pairs of the previous generation (no ADC), so I'm excited to try the ADCs when they come in.

Edit - didn't notice the soft spikes on the bottom. DISREGARD?

http://www.budgetgolf.com/FootJoy-M-Project-Spikeless-Golf-Shoes-White-Blue.html - $40, sizes 9-12.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I have the ASICS hot weather shoes and love them.

ASICS Men's Gel-ACE Tour Sunbelt Golf Shoe,Black/Lime/Charcoal,10.5 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DHFVBN0/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wiSVvbABFFT41

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

http://www.budgetgolf.com/FootJoy-M-Project-Cleated-Golf-Shoes-White-Orange.html

Almost pulled the trigger on these earlier. $30 Project M, sizes 9.5 - 11. White/orange stripes, but whatever. I got some Ashworth Cardiff ADC shoes for around $50. They're pretty comfortable for walking. I've got 3 pairs of the previous generation (no ADC), so I'm excited to try the ADCs when they come in.

Edit - didn't notice the soft spikes on the bottom. DISREGARD?

http://www.budgetgolf.com/FootJoy-M-Project-Spikeless-Golf-Shoes-White-Blue.html - $40, sizes 9-12.

This stinks because I always heard great things about M Project shoes but I'm a 13 and it can be really rare I find ones in my size that aren't in some awful color combination.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I know that feel DJ, I'm size 13-14 depending on the brand.

In other golfing news, drat I liked the look of Tigers swing this week.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
As somebody who got psyched about his Rds. 1&2 performance, it's a little tough to stay positive after that +3 on Saturday, even if he rebounded with a -3 yesterday.

That being said, there really are more positives to take away from this week. As you said, his swing looked really, really good. His miscues off the tee were pretty bad, but his recovery shots were insane. Plus his short game was just stunning. His putting was aggressive all week, which either shows complete confidence or recklessness.

You also can't be mad when the dude says he has "total control of the golf ball" after ripping I don't know how many balls into the water over the last two days. Fake it 'til you feel it.

Josh Lyman, can you put together a PGA Championship thread around Saturday/Sunday so I can just dump the golf ball bet info in one of the first posts? I don't think I should make a separate thread for it.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So, I am off to Oak Island next week. Currently have a tee time setup at Oak Island GC, but I am looking at playing Carolina National one of those days too. Anyone played there? Is like 20 minutes from the beach house I am staying at and seems pretty cheap.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, can you put together a PGA Championship thread around Saturday/Sunday so I can just dump the golf ball bet info in one of the first posts? I don't think I should make a separate thread for it.
Ya I'll have it up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Am I nuts or is this an earlier PGA Championship than most? I remember it being more towards September most years.

E: Maybe I'm mixing it up with the Ryder Cup

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Right on its normal schedule pretty much. Next year the PGA Champ will be played at the end of July to accommodate golf in the Olympics.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I think the British Open is also kind of early too -- I remember it playing on July 30.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I finally got a rangefinder, the Bushnell Tour V3 :science: WITH JOLT TECHNOLOGY:science:

It's apparently supposed to own a bunch and even take slope into account.

E: Oh, no that is the "SLOPE EDITION", which this is not. I think that version isn't USGA legal or something.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 4, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Yep.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

I finally got a rangefinder, the Bushnell Tour V3 :science: WITH JOLT TECHNOLOGY:science:

It's apparently supposed to own a bunch and even take slope into account.

E: Oh, no that is the "SLOPE EDITION", which this is not. I think that version isn't USGA legal or something.
I've got the same rangefinder and love it. I turn the Jolt off to conserve battery though.

There's something uncouth to me about using one with slope.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
I was golfing back near home and ended up with the worst lie I've ever had: Alkali. Hit down on the ball? The soil has no structure, hopefully you didn't want to be above the grass on your next shot. Hit before the ball? Hope you enjoy fluffing the ball. Pick the ball perfectly? Nice shot! How's that terrible cloud taste right about now? Good luck getting it off your shoes and club.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Yes, hit down on the ball. It'll launch at an upward angle right from the get-go.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
That photo looks like they poached our useless green keeper. Guy "repaired" the drainage in the bunkers earlier this year because they were filling up with water all the time. 2 months later they did the same thing. Refuses to do a deep core of the greens - they haven't been done in years. So much potential wasted by bad management. Still love it though, it's a fun course and no 2 holes are the same.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

I've got the same rangefinder and love it. I turn the Jolt off to conserve battery though.

There's something uncouth to me about using one with slope.

My rangefinder as well, also with jolt turned off.

My home course added a new tee box to the fourth hole and they had the white tees there last night. It's 280 to the front edge of the green compared to ~310 at the normal tee location. I've never driven the green before since the fairway slopes upward a bit the last 150 yards, but at the new location I think I'll be able to occasionally. It really favors a draw too which is nice. That means I can potentially drive 7 of the 10 par fours from the white tees... I guess it's no wonder I can't shoot in the 70s at other courses like I can here.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

sarehu posted:

Yes, hit down on the ball. It'll launch at an upward angle right from the get-go.

Yeah, I said that wrong. Should have been "get on top of the ball".

Halo14 posted:

That photo looks like they poached our useless green keeper. Guy "repaired" the drainage in the bunkers earlier this year because they were filling up with water all the time. 2 months later they did the same thing. Refuses to do a deep core of the greens - they haven't been done in years. So much potential wasted by bad management. Still love it though, it's a fun course and no 2 holes are the same.

The whole course is built on a gross little stream that, I'm assuming, killed any cows that tried to drink out of it so they needed to do something else with the land. It's in spectacular condition goven where they put it.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

aehiilrs posted:

I was golfing back near home and ended up with the worst lie I've ever had: Alkali. Hit down on the ball? The soil has no structure, hopefully you didn't want to be above the grass on your next shot. Hit before the ball? Hope you enjoy fluffing the ball. Pick the ball perfectly? Nice shot! How's that terrible cloud taste right about now? Good luck getting it off your shoes and club.

Switch out the sand for dirt and you have anywhere that isn't right in the middle of the fairway on pretty much every Los Angeles public course right now.

How far out were you there?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

Switch out the sand for dirt and you have anywhere that isn't right in the middle of the fairway on pretty much every Los Angeles public course right now.

Play the LA City courses in the Valley. Encino/Balboa/Woodley/Hansen Dam are all in decent shape right now. Griffith Park just hosted the Special Olympics golf events there, so I've heard it's in good shape right now as well. Going to play Wilson on Friday.

But yeah, most of the courses out here are in terrible shape. Rancho is horrendous right now and our club championship is there next weekend, so that's awesome.

Got invited to play up at North Ranch CC today, so I'm heading up there now.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Griffith Park just hosted the Special Olympics golf events there, so I've heard it's in good shape right now as well. Going to play Wilson on Friday.

I heard that they cut the greens retarded fast...

But seriously, yeah I don't get up to the valley much cause I'm an East Sider and it's hot as balls out right now haha. I'll have to get up there next time I have a weekday off!

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

How far out were you there?

That is dirt! I was in an area that at one point was fairway, but might be rough now after they added a water hazard. I hit a bad (high fade) drive into the wind to end up where I did. This is where I was, but if you look there are white patches all over that fairway and the other one that runs across the creek.

Great course for being so far in the middle of nowhere. Grass greens were a real treat when I was a kid.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

I heard that they cut the greens retarded fast...

That's an oxymoron, or maybe just an actual moron.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Got to play the Golf Club of Houston, the site of the Shell Houston Open.

So this was a neat round. I didn't take any pictures except for the sign on the 14th tee to brag to a few friends. The course was NOT in great shape. We thought the $69 9:10 am Sunday morning slot was just a cancellation that opened up. Once we got to the clubhouse and were given the cart key, the manager asked if we were aware of the course conditions. I assumed he was going to tell us to keep it on the cart paths, but he said the transition from spring to summer was really rough. We're talking bare spots on the fairways, dead spots on a few of the greens, the rough around all of the bunkers was chewed up turf (maybe in an effort to save them), and also the greens were punched less than two weeks prior. As an apology, he gave us replay round certificates, so that was neat. And let's be real - this course's definition of "poor conditions" trumps my local courses' best conditions any day of the week. We still hadn't seen the course, so it was nice to know we could play a Tour course twice for $70 (plus a cart fee).

We were paired up with two new golfers who actually split from our group on the 4th green because they were, by their own admission, "too slow." They paid the caddie and stayed behind while we drove off. I didn't have an issue with them or their play, but whatever. Our caddie told us at the beginning of the round that the other two guys were going to play the middle tees, and since I had a replay round in my pocket, I figured we'd just play up with them. When I use my replay round, I'll play from the tips. The tips stretch out to 7,400 yards. Second tees are 7,000, and the middle tees are 6,569. My playing partner would never torture himself with me at the tips, and he's not yet good enough to enjoy a round from 7,000, so the middle tees it was.

First four holes were pretty much fairways/greens. I hit some good approach shots, and even my 3 wood that went through the fairway on 2 was simply a straight 3 wood over the left side of a fairway bunker at the corner of a dogleg instead of a fade into the center of the fairway. All of my tee shots had good angles in, and I left myself good looks (inside 20 feet) at birdie on all of the holes, but I couldn't make any of them. I won't blame the punched greens, but I wasn't gonna get greedy this early on.

Hole 5 is a dogleg left that will leave you a mid-iron in, depending on how much of the lake at the corner you want to take on. I hit a pretty decent drive up next to the end of the bunker, and I was a little between clubs on my approach. As I was settling into the shot, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I should have stepped away, but I went through with the shot anyway...and shanked it into the woods. Got my 4th on, two putted for double. The text said my grandma had passed away (sort of expected though). Rough hole all around.

Found the fringe on 6, nearly chipped in for birdie. Hole 7 was playing up a set of tees, and I nearly aced it with a GW. Tapped in for birdie.

Hole 8 was a 3-shot par 5 that I played really well. There are a few bunkers on the left side of this straightaway par 5, but there's water all along the right, from 300 yards out to the front of the green. Driver up the center right, laid up with an 8 iron (I had 245 to the front, but I can't trust a 3 wood with all that trouble on the right), then pitched a nifty little wedge to 6 feet. Made that for birdie.

Hole 9 was also playing up a set of tees. It was at a 95% 7i yardage, but instead of a fade, I double crossed myself and went long. I found the back left of the green, but I left myself a brutal putt from outside of 50 feet to a front pin. I did well to leave it below the hole but still on the green, but I played just enough break on my 10 foot par putt to keep it from going in. Nasty 3 putt to make the turn at +1.

Hole 10 was playing up a set of tees, approximately 290 yards. I hit a good drive to pin high, but I had to hit a flop from a pretty tight lie. I got it on, but I lipped out a 7 footer for birdie.

Tugged my drive on 11, but I know I can miss left on this hole. Stepped on a wedge to get it over a ridge, but I carried it too long. Routine 2 putt.

Hole 12 looks like it's drivable, but it's in to the wind, and a fairway miss is either water right or OB left. Hit a thinned cut to the center, then hit a pretty crummy wedge from 70 yards, considering how accessible the pin was. Ran my birdie putt by the hole, made a 3 footer coming back.

Hole 13 is another 3-shot par 5 that I played pretty well. Driver to the end of the first section of fairway, 3 wood up the left side, 60 yard pitch to 4 feet. Birdie, back to even!

We had a discussion on the tee about which club to use on hole 14. The caddie suggested I take one more club than I needed. It would put me on, but I'd have a really fast downhill putt. The green looks like a Mickey Mouse head, with bunkers front left and front right. Pin was right up front. I ignored the caddie (like a pro), hit the shorter of the two clubs exactly pin high...into a bunker. It's a deep bunker, and I got out, but I caught it a little skinny and had to putt from the fringe (18 feet past the flag or so). Annoying bogey there.

Fairways/greens for the rest of the holes except for 18. I really wanted to make one more birdie coming in, but I hit a lovely pitch into hole 15 from a MONEY yardage, was lucky to avoid a three putt on 16 from a different zipcode, and I barely snuck my approach onto the 17th green.

Hole 18 is one of the more famous finishing holes on tour. It's a dogleg left around a lake with a bunker through the fairway to catch any pussy tee shots. I attempted a tee shot from the tips, because why not? To carry to the center of the fairway at the end of the bunker is just about 300 yards...still leaving 175 in. And it plays into the wind. And the green is protected by a bunker long/right and water front/left. The most I could have hoped for is a 255 carry, leaving 215 or so in. Instead, I tugged my tee shot on a line that needed something around 270. Hit it well, but it didn't have a chance of staying dry.

Anyway, playing from the mere mortal tees, I watched my buddy yank his into the water, too, so I naturally bailed right. Carried my tee shot to the end of the bunker, then hit a REALLY nice fairway bunker shot from 182 to the right edge of the green. I really grinded (ground?) over this 30 foot putt, wanting to finish at even. Picked a good line, rolled my ball right over my selected mark, and I had good speed, but I just didn't read it well enough. Tapped in for par, finished at +1.

Pretty decent ball striking day. I didn't really steal any shots (except for the near-ace on that par 3), so I could have finished a couple under from the middle tees if I avoided some silly mistakes.

I think we're going back next Wednesday, and after my round, I want to overlay my shots onto JB Holmes' Shot Tracker just to see the difference. He shot 64 in the final round and went on to win in a playoff. I'd be happy to shoot 82!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus christ dude :stare:

You've been killing it this year

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

That's an oxymoron, or maybe just an actual moron.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ryder Cup 2016:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Minus the Cardinals shirt that is what I was planning on bringing yeah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Minus the Cardinals shirt that is what I was planning on bringing yeah

my man :hfive: