Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Don't be such a negative knuckles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Back when we had the This Character in Panels thread, "HE REPLACED ME!" would've been perfect for Proto Man. You're in for a treat when they get to the big Mega Man vs. Proto Man fight.

"What are you? Are you Dr. Light's assistant? His soldier? His son?"
"I'm all of those things."
"THEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO BE?!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

"THEN WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO BE?!"

:cue awesome Megas guitar synth riff:
https://youtu.be/oWaKqtXFLPc?t=2m44s

redbackground fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 3, 2015

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Disappointed this wasn't Megas XLR.

https://youtu.be/K-kYiDbG39s

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 3, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So after Damian Wayne died in Batman Inc, the Batman and Robin book went through a rotation of guest stars until his eventual resurrection: In Batman and Robin Nightwing #23 Batman's been beating himself up in a big way after Damian died during Batman Inc. Recently he's been running a VR simulation of the night over and over trying to save Damian and save the day but he can't do it. Nightwing swings by and helps by plugging himself into the simulation and together they manage to pull it off. Bittersweet but happy ending, right? Then the issue closes on this:

the scene may have lost a little of its gravitas due to Damian being alive again, but I still really like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tomasi was writing the best Batman book since the N52 started, nobody seemed to notice though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TwoPair posted:

So after Damian Wayne died in Batman Inc, the Batman and Robin book went through a rotation of guest stars until his eventual resurrection: In Batman and Robin Nightwing #23 Batman's been beating himself up in a big way after Damian died during Batman Inc. Recently he's been running a VR simulation of the night over and over trying to save Damian and save the day but he can't do it. Nightwing swings by and helps by plugging himself into the simulation and together they manage to pull it off. Bittersweet but happy ending, right? Then the issue closes on this:

the scene may have lost a little of its gravitas due to Damian being alive again, but I still really like it.

killing Damian and getting rid of Batman Inc in the first place was a mistake, so it's good to see at least one of those mistakes accounted for(of course Batman and Green Lantern should have both received full reboots in the first place as they really mucked up the Nu52 due to being barely altered at all)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This may be too many panels, but I'd like to request the last few pages from the end of John's GL run; specifically the ones that tell what all the respective Corps folks did after the events told in the book, because they all felt pretty touching to me as someone whose entire comic-reading run started with the creation of the other Lantern Corps. Stuff like Sinestro, of all people, freeing Sayd from Larfleeze's control as a gift to Ganthet, it's so :3:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Tomasi was writing the best Batman book since the N52 started, nobody seemed to notice though.

I did. :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

PYF poignant BnR panels

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Is that Barbara as...a Robin?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. They all wore Robin armor to go rescue Robin from Apokolips.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

Is that Barbara as...a Robin?

They all wore the R since they were doing a "rescue" mission to Apokolips to retrieve Damian's body.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I love that Alfred somehow got confused and went as The Punisher instead.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Keru posted:

I love that Alfred somehow got confused and went as The Punisher instead.

While Bruce doesn't like using guns, Alfred really has no problem with them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Since Fantastic Four is apparently awful here is some good FF!

Fantastic Four 60/489

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've been championing those pages for over a decade as the obvious narrative arc of the FF origin story movie, and it's depressing that there have been not 1 but 2 movies that utterly failed to realize it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How mind boggling is it that Mark Waid was fired from that book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Then rehired!!
RIP Mike Wieringo

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 5, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The rap thing was almost endearing in how corny it is.

Almost.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

why is scooby doo there

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why isn't Batcow there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hey! Posting the Thing rap is MY schtick!

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I don't have access to scans, but someone should post the sequence in this week's Ms. Marvel where Kamala and Carol come across (in the middle of the Incursion) a room with a bunch of cats who were abandoned and were very obviously going to die because of, well, the Incursion. And Kamala was having a hard time coming to grips with it

Maybe I'm just a huge sap but that was incredibly sad.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't have access to scans, but someone should post the sequence in this week's Ms. Marvel where Kamala and Carol come across (in the middle of the Incursion) a room with a bunch of cats who were abandoned and were very obviously going to die because of, well, the Incursion. And Kamala was having a hard time coming to grips with it

Maybe I'm just a huge sap but that was incredibly sad.

Just read it myself. My cats might be getting some squishy hugs tonight.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The contents of the letters in the last page, the (really large) set of easter eggs such as the blue raccoon in the lower right, cut against the pathos a bit. But that's a really great set of pages with powerful yet understated composition.

...huh.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

The contents of the letters in the last page, the (really large) set of easter eggs such as the blue raccoon in the lower right, cut against the pathos a bit. But that's a really great set of pages with powerful yet understated composition.

...huh.

I don't wanna get too deep into it or anything but that panel where Kamala thinks "Nothing is going to be the same ever again" really got to me.

It adds a sort of gravitas surrounding ~~The Big Event~~ that I usually find missing during most event tie-ins and stories. It's incredibly sobering to actually see a tentpole hero comfort a young one about the fact that they're most likely going to survive ~~The Big Event~~ but things like these cats won't.

I dunno, don't mean to ramble but Ms. Marvel is a great comic.

(I also love that Carol gets to play a calming, Superman type role; awesome to see a woman hero do that)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Feelin' fine.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Yeah this issue is what I expected to read the same week as SW 1. I sorta wish last days came earlier in the event.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

"Letters to the President"

I assume most of them complain about there being too many states.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I still think both the Incursions and Secret Wars itself are terrible ideas, but I'm actually feeling kinda hopeful for post-SW Marvel, looks like some good stuff is coming

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Dear Nigerian Prince" the best :allears:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

bobkatt013 posted:

Since Fantastic Four is apparently awful here is some good FF!

Fantastic Four 60/489

This is, bar-none, my favorite Fantastic Four/Reed Richards moment. It really humanized him and made him more than "Hahaha gently caress my family, I'mma go do SCIENCE" and really made Reed appear as a likable human being.

redbackground posted:

:cue awesome Megas guitar synth riff:
https://youtu.be/oWaKqtXFLPc?t=2m44s

I am always pleased by how much the Mega Man comic writers seem to love the Megas.

(Robot hair)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If you guys like that Ms Marvel issue, the last issue of Captain America and the Mighty Avengers is going to punch you in the heart.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Classtoise posted:

This is, bar-none, my favorite Fantastic Four/Reed Richards moment. It really humanized him and made him more than "Hahaha gently caress my family, I'mma go do SCIENCE" and really made Reed appear as a likable human being.

I agree. It's the best type of retcon, adding depth while sorta explaining the ridiculousness.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kammat posted:

Just read it myself. My cats might be getting some squishy hugs tonight.

:saddowns:

one's got its head stuck in a jar

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 6, 2015

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
poo poo like this is why I stopped reading Miss Marvel.

I loved the book, but stripping her out of her comfortable setting completely ruins it for me. I *liked* having a low-stakes read with a relatable character in a familiar setting, and now they have to jettison all of that because of some bullshit Big Event? I don't want grim and gritty and hopeless hard-choices - every other comic already has those. How is their newfound audience, who only read this one single book, going to react to it being shat by editorial?

I reluctantly admit those pages are still well-written and heartfelt, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Squidster posted:

poo poo like this is why I stopped reading Miss Marvel.

I loved the book, but stripping her out of her comfortable setting completely ruins it for me. I *liked* having a low-stakes read with a relatable character in a familiar setting, and now they have to jettison all of that because of some bullshit Big Event? I don't want grim and gritty and hopeless hard-choices - every other comic already has those. How is their newfound audience, who only read this one single book, going to react to it being shat by editorial?

I reluctantly admit those pages are still well-written and heartfelt, though.

The event is going on right now and we know she will be back. The comic is not even pretending it's ending as the poo poo with her brother is going down