Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Skunkrocker posted:

In two games 2K restored my faith in the system.

I'm just not seeing how this could possibly be the case? As mentioned, the game they were most hands-on with was the worst-reviewed and the most stripped-down in the series yet. I can't speak to the mechanics but it looks like it's a large step backwards in every other way, especially playing 2K14 now and seeing how robust it is.

I mean, all the stuff you say they took out half the creation suite to put in, mechanics-wise, has been in earlier non-2K iterations of the game. It's fine to say you're optimistic about it but I just can't see where the faith in 2K is coming from based on the two games we've seen them put out so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm just not seeing how this could possibly be the case? As mentioned, the game they were most hands-on with was the worst-reviewed and the most stripped-down in the series yet. I can't speak to the mechanics but it looks like it's a large step backwards in every other way, especially playing 2K14 now and seeing how robust it is.

I mean, all the stuff you say they took out half the creation suite to put in, mechanics-wise, has been in earlier non-2K iterations of the game. It's fine to say you're optimistic about it but I just can't see where the faith in 2K is coming from based on the two games we've seen them put out so far.

Create a Diva, Create an Arena, and Create a Championship have all been announced as being in 2K16. They removed them in 2K15, which is a step backwards, but when they did they said this:

"For WWE 2K15, we were unable to support new versions of Create-an-Arena, Custom Divas, Create-a-Championship and Story Designer. This decision was extremely difficult, but a necessary one, in order to deliver a more focused and polished game. The primary reason we did not announce these changes earlier is due to the team working until the last minute to retain as many features as possible."

Now look at what they did with the other Creation tools in 2K15. If you're going to tell me Create an Arena and Create a Championship aren't going to be vastly improved in comparison to what 2K14 offered or 2K15 on last gen consoles then you're blinded by the hatred you have for the fact they took these out in the first place. It's obvious that what they were working on wasn't finished and they were not going to inject the old code in. Now that's it IS finished and it IS going to be added back in I have no doubts in my mind with what they did with Create a Superstar that these things are going to end up being amazing.

Again, like I said, 2K Sports did more in two games with the WWE Brand than THQ has done in years, and honestly I'm just not seeing how you CAN'T see it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Genericide posted:

2K15 was stripped back to the point of just being funny. Every single aspect from roster to graphics to repeat animations and commentary felt like "gently caress it, that'll do". Nobody can say with a straight face that it was anywhere near ready, yet it was rushed out because of the dumb schedules games have to be released on.

That video of Finn Balor's entrance just felt off. The crowd not looking at him. Maggle Maggling away over the music. The crawl through the ring that makes him look like a sniper's taken out his leg. They're little things in and of themselves, but there will be literally 1,000 little things that make the game suck a bit more.

Not sure if they will fix that or not but they weren't showing the final build

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The problem with that line about how they had to cut these things in order to fully finish what actually was there is 1) 2k15 is still a glitchy mess, and 2) they say they didn't have time to polish everything and include previously standard features, but they did have time to get in order multiple pre-order packages, a DLC strategy, etc, and announce all of that before they had even shown any footage of the game actually running.
They begged for pre-orders and were hawking a season pass off the back of one—admittedly impressive—screenshot of gorilla-faced John Cena. Then, a very short time before release and after most pre-orders would have been placed, then they say that oh, sorry guys, a bunch of totally standard features aren't going to be in. They flew the guy from VGCW in to show him the texture import tool so he'd give the CAW a nod of approval, but they didn't show him how limited everything else in CAW would be and he ended up backtracking on his endorsement and stuck with 2k14. They held out until the last possible minute to be open about what would be missing. They knew that what they were putting out wouldn't be accepted so they went out of their way to hide how much was being cut; the only reason 2k15 didn't go down as the biggest bait-and-switch swindle of the year is because people were still too pissed off at Gearbox for Colonial Marines.

Right now you're in the Peter Molyneux trap.
"This game is going to blow you away."
"Okay, we over-promised and under-delivered last time, but this time we're fixing everything and it really will blow you away this year."
"Okay, we over-promised and under-delivered last time, but this time we're fixing everything and it really will blow you away this year."

edit: final build? Realistically, there's only another month and a half, at most, they can be developing this game before it has to go gold and is pushed out for pressing. Builds you're seeing now for a late October release are going to be close to finished. Contrary to what game publishers want you to believe, games are not 'pre-alpha' when they have voice acting and are a year into development, nor are they in 'beta' when they're a month from release and showing the game on a trade show floor. Whatever you ssee of 2k16 as of now is more or elss a final build. The only thing that can be said in its favour is that of course these days things can be patched, and they could set the game gold then work on patches for release day, so what's on the disc is worse but from day 1 everybody should get something a little better.

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 5, 2015

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Were they up front about the "season pass" only including half of the planned DLC? Or was that something they announced later?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2K16 will suck, and then for 2K17 they'll add a single CAW slot or something nobody cares about and the graphics will still look like poo poo and Skunk will say "good enough" and buy it

Repeat until either WWE's death or 2K's death

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

Create a Diva, Create an Arena, and Create a Championship have all been announced as being in 2K16. They removed them in 2K15, which is a step backwards, but when they did they said this:

"For WWE 2K15, we were unable to support new versions of Create-an-Arena, Custom Divas, Create-a-Championship and Story Designer. This decision was extremely difficult, but a necessary one, in order to deliver a more focused and polished game. The primary reason we did not announce these changes earlier is due to the team working until the last minute to retain as many features as possible."

Now look at what they did with the other Creation tools in 2K15. If you're going to tell me Create an Arena and Create a Championship aren't going to be vastly improved in comparison to what 2K14 offered or 2K15 on last gen consoles then you're blinded by the hatred you have for the fact they took these out in the first place. It's obvious that what they were working on wasn't finished and they were not going to inject the old code in. Now that's it IS finished and it IS going to be added back in I have no doubts in my mind with what they did with Create a Superstar that these things are going to end up being amazing.

Again, like I said, 2K Sports did more in two games with the WWE Brand than THQ has done in years, and honestly I'm just not seeing how you CAN'T see it.

its shite mate

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Chris James 2 posted:

2K16 will suck, and then for 2K17 they'll add a single CAW slot or something nobody cares about and the graphics will still look like poo poo and Skunk will say "good enough" and buy it

Or Skunk's death

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there is a reason we never find out anything about the actual core of the game until like three days before it comes out and that is because it is trash

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

But... but that didn't happen. Are you living in another reality?

SVR 2011 - Same as SVR 2010, only with a physics engine and WWE Universe mode is added. Almost no changes.
'12 - Same as SVR 2011, obviously dropping the SVR tag. Grapple system removed, moves now based on physical condition. Comebacks are added. Very few changes. Somehow the graphics got worse.
'13 - Same as WWE '12, with Attitude Era mode. Creative suite gets a bit of an overhaul, but not by much. Bunch of changes to how animations work, but nothing substantial. Adds customization to Create a Title, but gives barebones options that never get updated. Only good part of the game is Attitude Era mode and the Monday Night Wars stuff. Graphics remain lovely.
2K14 - Exactly the same as WWE '13, with 100 CAW slots. Little improved. Nothing gained. Other than losing a bunch of Attitude Era stars people liked that got replaced with a bunch of Wrestlemania stars no one cared about and every Wrestlemania arena but losing the ones people liked previously. First 2K game, but the game was already in progress when they got around to it and couldn't change much. Graphics remain lovely and honestly somehow seem to get even worse here.
2K15 - A very different games. Graphics drastically improved, even on last generation consoles. All new CAW system allows full editing of existing superstars, and no more overly goofy looking characters with fat bodies and spaghetti arms. Characters now look realistic. Combat system remains functionally the same, with a new chain grappling feature that wasn't perfect but was a step in the right direction. Universe mode updated for the first time in six years. CAW slots truncated, which is a negative, but the number has already gone up and is expected to go up further with the next game. First WWE game on PC in a long time, which took a while to happen. Still follows first day DLC model which a lot of games do, which people don't like but it's a standard of the industry now as lovely as that is. Importable graphics without having to use the lovely Paint Tool/hacking. Career Mode returns. While other things are missing, 2K Devs said they would be in the next game. Worst part about the game? Diamond Dallas Page looks like Dog the Bounty Hunter.
2K16 - While the game isn't out yet, obviously, we've already been told 120+ unique characters, including a bunch of NXT guys people love, a huge chunk of the Create suite is back including Divas, Chain Grappling updated and hopefully improved, combat system is being reworked fixing finishers, reversals, submissions, and rope breaks. Graphics look even better now.

Golden Bee posted:

Or Skunk's death

WWE video games end with my death. You heard it here first. After I die 2K will close the doors on the WWE development forever in my honor.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Armitage posted:

I usually play starting from the mid 80s in these TEW games. Sting dies in every game I play from that era.

He's alive in my game, but he keeps just signing up for WING tours that never happen because they don't hire enough wrestlers

he's essentially been unemployed for the past 3 years and has F overness throughout America

Which is great

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Seriously though, I will agree that DDP looks horrendous in WWE 2k15 and they should feel really ashamed of themselves for that character model.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Seriously though, I will agree that DDP looks horrendous in WWE 2k15 and they should feel really ashamed of themselves for that character model.

They can't use "we had to model it by hand because he's old as poo poo" because modders in 48 hours of the PC release had a better version created and uploaded AND Hogan and Sting came out looking great.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The 2K series plays like absolute dogshit.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Holy poo poo, I might be able to get Paul Ellering to play Paul Bear.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
Psssssh...2k....FIRE PRO WRESTLING RETURNS, BABY! I do not need none them fancy glitchy 2k games when I already got the best game with saves updated and easily accessible(for PSN I guess, it was a pain on the Ps2 to find the ARMAX and have it work). I wish more developers like Spike would put out other non WWE wrestling games.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

pressedbunny posted:

Right now you're in the Peter Molyneux trap.

"In WWE 2K16, you start the game as a fresh-faced NXT recruit. As a part of a team-building exercise, you plant a seedling outside the Performance Center on your first day. Return to that spot later as grizzled WWE veteran in the middle of your third world title reign and it will have grown into a strong, magnificent oak."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
2K15 promised matches weren't just about winning but putting on a good show and it turns out all that means is getting a near fall and doing a finisher.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do wish someone would make a wrestling game that understands it's more about the back and forth. I'm always disappointed when a 2k14 match becomes a beatdown, even when I'm the one administering it, and I find myself trying to give the CPU opportunities to get a few moves in at least.

You'd have to go way beyond the makeup of a traditional sports or fighting game, and set things up so that the fight will always swing back and forth, while still "keeping kayfabe" enough to let the outcome hinge on your skill.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Perry Normal posted:

Holy poo poo, I might be able to get Paul Ellering to play Paul Bear.

Nice. I've got a Jim Cornette vs Bobby Heenan feud (fought through VADER and Ted Dibiase) as my main event storyline. Managers own, but they own even more when they're named Paul Bear and managing a guy in a bear suit

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Out of curiosity, does anyone else's PSN version of Fire Pro Wrestling Returns have weird graphical errors during the loading screen and during matches, which sometimes leads to the game freezing/crashing? Like the graphics bug out and something stretches across the screen real quick.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I want a wrestling game with a story mode that's styled after a Persona game

I want to spend time after the PPV with John Cena and have a heart to heart that allows me to use some of his skills

I want to do side quests backstage that involve getting a bunch of useless trinkets for Zeb Colter or feeding Lana's cat

But really I want to max out my Social Link with Cesaro

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
that's terrible

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I Before E posted:

I want to spend time after the PPV with John Cena and have a heart to heart that allows me to use some of his skills

> You have become friends with John Cena!

> John Cena will now DIE FOR YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Delsaber posted:

> You have become friends with John Cena!

> John Cena will now DIE FOR YOU

That's not realistic at all.

>You have become friends with John Cena!

>You will now job for John Cena!

>John Cena will never save or support you!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

I Before E posted:

I want to do side quests backstage that involve getting a bunch of useless trinkets for Zeb Colter or feeding Lana's cat

> You are now over

> You will fight Triple H at Summer Slam

> You have been buried by Triple H

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
What wrestling games need is the option to either play it like a real fight or book the finish before the match starts. You should also be able to call an audible no matter what original option you chose, in case the player, or somehow the CPU, puts on an amazing performance and deserves to go over.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

KungFu Grip posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone else's PSN version of Fire Pro Wrestling Returns have weird graphical errors during the loading screen and during matches, which sometimes leads to the game freezing/crashing? Like the graphics bug out and something stretches across the screen real quick.

Every time I save the little disc icon glitches out like crazy, but that's it on my end. I've never had stretches or any real problems with freezing/crashing.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Nice. I've got a Jim Cornette vs Bobby Heenan feud (fought through VADER and Ted Dibiase) as my main event storyline. Managers own, but they own even more when they're named Paul Bear and managing a guy in a bear suit

What promotion are you playing as? You're doing a 1990 database, right? EDIT - Also, is that a heel vs heel thing?

"The Bad News Bear" Ursus is unleashed. He'll run wild until I can hire Ellering and then he'll get some direction. Ursamajor ruled as a name too, but it felt too long with the BNB nickname.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

No, it's URSUS, all caps like in Tekken

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

What wrestling games need is the option to either play it like a real fight or book the finish before the match starts. You should also be able to call an audible no matter what original option you chose, in case the player, or somehow the CPU, puts on an amazing performance and deserves to go over.

Yeah this is what I want from a wrestling game. The best I can do is to play as the person I want to lose, beat up the other person but do a bunch of near falls, then stop playing for 2 minutes or however long it takes the CPU to win.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Perry Normal posted:

Every time I save the little disc icon glitches out like crazy, but that's it on my end. I've never had stretches or any real problems with freezing/crashing.

What promotion are you playing as? You're doing a 1990 database, right? EDIT - Also, is that a heel vs heel thing?

"The Bad News Bear" Ursus is unleashed. He'll run wild until I can hire Ellering and then he'll get some direction. Ursamajor ruled as a name too, but it felt too long with the BNB nickname.

I started in 1987 as the AWA, immediately fired nearly everyone and hired better work rate guys. It's been interesting actually having to function on a reasonable budget since usually I just create my own promotion and give myself a ton of cash so I can just sandbox it and do what I want.

I've already had a bunch of disasters, such as having Curt Hennig hotshot the title to Ric Flair, only for him to immediately be hired to a written deal by the WWF and refuse to drop the belt back to Hennig. Fortunately, I was able to bring in Bret Hart (who left WWF to go on a tour with NJPW) and Flair agreed to lose to him. Naturally, about 6 months later the WWF came in and hired Hart, Hennig, and Muraco for way more money than I could pay.

It was a heel vs heel thing, I started it because I was basically left with Vader and Dibiase as the only guys who were legitimately main event level over, and the incredible mic abilities of 3 of the 4 (and vader being vader) makes up for the little heel/heel penalty.

I've been able to build up some other guys since, and now my top level guys are Vader, Dibiase, Ricky Steamboat (6 month freelancer contract, I don't know if he'll stick around), Shawn Michaels, Terry Gordy (also a freelancer), Owen Hart, Rick Rude, Brian Pillman, and the Steiner Brothers.

I'm trying to build up Art Barr, Marty Jannetty, and THE POWERS OF PAIN as well.

Meanwhile, the WWF has Junkyard Dog and the Honky Tonk Man as the top champs, and seems to be enjoying main event 6 mans of Hogan, Flair, and Bob Orton Jr. (heel) vs Savage, Piper, and JYD (face)

Well. They were. Until Randy Savage suffered a severed spine in a match. So now they've moved in Paul Orndorff in his place.

World Class Wrestling (Von Erichs) is actually doing about as well as me and way better than WCW as the WWF alternative, behind Bobby Eaton, Barry Windham, Bruiser Brody, and Tully Blanchard on top.

I'm loving the way this world is going so far. Complete chaos behind the WWF in the USA, Hulk Hogan as a heel, and Sting/Lex Luger as complete non entitys + The Road Warriors, the future Undertaker, Scott Hall, and Kevin/Kerry Von Erich all wrestling in Japan. It's making everything go completely off the rails compared to reality already.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

I Before E posted:

every game in existence can benefit from tacking on dating sim-esque systems

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

They should go back to making games where this can happen

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MotU posted:

every game in existence can benefit from tacking on dating sim-esque systems

Keep giving Bowser book covers until he loves you.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ZDar Fan posted:

They should go back to making games where this can happen

This gif should be the whole of 2K16's design document.

E: also take the invisible walls off the Cell roof please. Let us fall freely and with abandon.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

1st AD posted:

Yeah this is what I want from a wrestling game. The best I can do is to play as the person I want to lose, beat up the other person but do a bunch of near falls, then stop playing for 2 minutes or however long it takes the CPU to win.
At a certain point you always master the rhythms of the game, but 2k15's multi-man matches were always fun just for this reason. The slowed pace and the stamina system really tips the odds out of the player's favor and as long you're not outside the ring taunting like a chump you're bound to get a pretty even match.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

is it 2k16 or 15

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What problems they have aside, and there are a few, King of Colosseum 2 and Fire Pro R get one thing perfect, and that is a dedicated A.I. adjustment menu that lets you fine tune each wrestler into acting like an individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I do wish in Universe Mode when you decide to skip a match you could pick the winner instead of it being random.