Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So...is Nabe one of the combat maids or something? I thought she was Albedo in disguise at first.

The opening scene felt a little confusing too. Why are the NPCs like Albedo and Nabe casually talking about players from Yggdrasil?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Vengarr posted:

So...is Nabe one of the combat maids or something? I thought she was Albedo in disguise at first.

Yes. She was basically picked because she looked the most human and her combat abilities made the most sense to go with Ainz disguise. Also she got picked because Ainz was hoping she wasn't as racist as Albedo but turns out shes one of the biggest racists :v:

Vengarr posted:

The opening scene felt a little confusing too. Why are the NPCs like Albedo and Nabe casually talking about players from Yggdrasil?

The NPCs have memories of the time they were in the game. So basically whenever the players talked about real life stuff or the game stuff infront of them they were listening. They have a pretty good idea on what other players are since they had to defend against human invaders a number of times.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

darkgray posted:

When voice actresses pass 35 they often just seem to slip into mommy roles, while main heroines are given to young newcomers who look nice in a bathing suit. Easier to promote, I guess. Mind you, voices change as you grow older.

Yeah, it seems like a combination of voices changing and becoming less marketable based on looks. While I wouldn't say American voice acting has the same overall level of talent as Japan does, and we still see a lot of high profile voice acting gigs go to celebrities (see every major animated movie ever), which isn't a negative since they typically do amazing work but still gates professional voice actors out of what we'd consider the top tier in the west (though top tier in salary is always going to be a major part in a mainstream animated show like family guy or the Simpsons), I do admire that voice actors can get steady work regardless of their appearance. It's nice that American VA's are starting to get more recognition/celebrity/appreciation as well without having to deal with Japan's crazy VA culture.

When you consider that as a Japanese voice actress you're likely only going to land a few major roles unless you're one of a very lucky few, you'll be out of contention for young major roles once you reach a certain age unless you're one of like literally 5 people who just have perfect voices and remain super cute, you'll be making a pittance unless you're lining up pretty frequent major roles, and there's a very real chance that if it's ever found out that you're dating anyone your career will be threatened if not over, it's pretty amazing that voice actress quality remains pretty drat solid.

I'll go ahead and plug Critical Role while we're talking voice acting and D&D. It's a bunch of western voice actors and actresses of pretty significant fame playing a dungeons and dragons campaign, the most well known participant is probably Felicia Day. As you might expect, it's pretty rad to hear people roleplaying while having the ability to properly voice stuff. Matthew Mercer GM's the game and it's pretty awesome hearing him voice all the npcs and monsters and the like. It streams on twitch every week or so, and you can catch the videos here: http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, I didn't recognize Nabe either. I'm sure she was in the big group of Nazerick minibosses earlier though. If the NPCs remember our favorite skeleton it stands to reason they'd remember the other guild members too, so that didn't really throw me off too much.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Iretep posted:

The NPCs have memories of the time they were in the game. So basically whenever the players talked about real life stuff or the game stuff infront of them they were listening. They have a pretty good idea on what other players are since they had to defend against human invaders a number of times.

That probably explains their hatred against humans if you see MMO Nazarick as a nonhuman refuge that got attacked by PvP human players all the time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

isnt that basically what happened in the flashback before he decided to help the village. he got attacked for being non-human and another nonhuman helped him

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Nabe is part of the maid squad in ep 1, but it's pretty hard to remember her since she's just one of six girls with the least memorable looks.

She's also got a speaking scene in ep 2, when Ainz is trying out his fancy plate suit for the first time, so it's not like she's just beamed in from outer space.

That said, they do seem to be clipping away quite a bit of explanation in volume 2's adaptation, so I guess we're down to 3 eps per book from now on. It's particularly noticeable at the end of ep 5, when the suspicious duo go into exposition mode.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Davincie posted:

isnt that basically what happened in the flashback before he decided to help the village. he got attacked for being non-human and another nonhuman helped him

Ya hence why

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hmm, yeah when your entire existence has been fighting against invading humans who probably get lucky and kill you a few times, I guess I can see why they're so defensive and human hating.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

NowonSA posted:

Hmm, yeah when your entire existence has been fighting against invading humans who probably get lucky and kill you a few times, I guess I can see why they're so defensive and human hating.

I wonder if they'll learn to love humans or simply put up with them until they can fill their ranks with more non-human characters.

I have a feeling that warlock clementine was working with was non-human so there's a potential candidate.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Non Human races pretty much were stuff you had to pay for. Ains Ooal Gown the guild was famous for the amount of the real money they put down to get so much stuff. (That and the raid they created. Using a lot of this pay to win stuff.)

Oh my god I thought you were joking, but then I looked it up and they actually are the famous pay to win guild. :allears:

I really hope someone makes fun of them for that in some way, I don't care who or how.

e: Also they have a "You have to be a member of society" rule, but the guildmaster admits he has no friends, family or anything outside the game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
He's not a NEET though, he does have a job. It's just that his entire social circle was online.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Anatharon posted:

e: Also they have a "You have to be a member of society" rule, but the guildmaster admits he has no friends, family or anything outside the game.

I think the word's connotation in Japanese is more that they're a working adult, economically independent of their parents, etc. Not so much social.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
To be fair pay 2 win probably just balanced the game more than anything since they were likely competing with NEETs.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I have a feeling that warlock clementine was working with was non-human so there's a potential candidate.

He's just old. But then again, if he performs a ritual to become a lich, maybe they'd take him.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

darkgray posted:

I think the word's connotation in Japanese is more that they're a working adult, economically independent of their parents, etc. Not so much social.

"You must have money available to spend to join our pay2win guild" makes a lot of sense.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

To be fair pay 2 win probably just balanced the game more than anything since they were likely competing with NEETs.

Sure, but if it were a real game (that isn't EVE) "those guys who bought their way to the top" would be a laughingstock.

darkgray posted:

Yeah I know that, but I still think he'd be considered a friendless loser by the standards of most people, even the ones on this forum. :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Sure, but if it were a real game (that isn't EVE) "those guys who bought their way to the top" would be a laughingstock.

Yeah I know that, but I still think he'd be considered a friendless loser by the standards of most people, even the ones on this forum. :v:

Well, that's probably why people kept trying to invade their guild hall.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Anatharon posted:

By who? Only nerds with more time than money

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

NowonSA posted:

"You must have money available to spend to join our pay2win guild" makes a lot of sense.

The guild was started by Touch Me, the white knight we see in the second episode. He probably had some reason like all players had be independent because thats some measure of character or something.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, that's probably why people kept trying to invade their guild hall.

They got invaded because they were a bunch of player killers who focused on human races. They had a pretty bad reputation in the game.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Iretep posted:

The guild was started by Touch Me, the white knight we see in the second episode. He probably had some reason like all players had be independent because thats some measure of character or something.

They got invaded because they were a bunch of player killers who focused on human races. They had a pretty bad reputation in the game.

So basically Goons from EVE.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, neet poopsockers are awful, awful people. I can't really blame the guy for specifically prohibiting them from joining.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Razzled posted:

By who? Only nerds with more time than money

Well, the vast majority of people who play MMOs are casual players.

I'm not pounding my fists demanding more realism or something, I just think it'd be funny for the first people who recognize him from Yggdrassil remembering him as that guy everyone hated for buying his way to the top in front of his minions. :v:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

So basically Goons from EVE.

Pretty much.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 6, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Well, the vast majority of people who play MMOs are casual players.

True but I don't think ygg was really for casuals.

I admit it would be funny if he ran into someone that held that sort of grudge though.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
This show takes place in the year 2138. Maybe they're more chill about pay to win actions over a century into the future.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I suppose its not that kind of show, but I just like seeing smug invincible types get knocked down a peg.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They were also famous for the fact that the Great Tomb of Nazerick was the Hardest Raid in the game and that no players managed to beat it prior to Yggdrasial going offline. From what I read. Guilds never got past then the 6th floor before being wiped. Until a huge alliance of players and their NPC's managed to get to the 8th floor before being wiped. After this the Tomb was considered unbeatable.

Reading about the Tomb is rather interesting.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The tomb itself was originally just an area in the game that they managed to take right? I thought it was pretty sweet that once they conquered it the game allowed them to modify it as well.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 6, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

Contacted the author on twitter, turns out he was apparently a big fan of Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. He also referenced Timer Senki, Sword World, Rune Quest, GURPS, Cthulhu, D&D and others as inspiration. I don't know some of those, but thought that was pretty cool.

This is why ADTRW is the best forum for anime discussion.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the way the pay-2-win aspect in Yggdrasil worked by playing a slot machine and not all of the members usually spent all their money on it, but Momonga did because he had nothing better to spend his paycheck on, so he sat around playing pachinko machines until they dropped good stuff and he was the most unlucky member in Ainz Ooal Gown, being generally jealous of everyone who got something good on their first roll.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

They were also famous for the fact that the Great Tomb of Nazerick was the Hardest Raid in the game and that no players managed to beat it prior to Yggdrasial going offline. From what I read. Guilds never got past then the 6th floor before being wiped. Until a huge alliance of players and their NPC's managed to get to the 8th floor before being wiped. After this the Tomb was considered unbeatable.

Reading about the Tomb is rather interesting.

Basically they were WildStar devs. :colbert:

Mordaedil posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the way the pay-2-win aspect in Yggdrasil worked by playing a slot machine and not all of the members usually spent all their money on it, but Momonga did because he had nothing better to spend his paycheck on, so he sat around playing pachinko machines until they dropped good stuff and he was the most unlucky member in Ainz Ooal Gown, being generally jealous of everyone who got something good on their first roll.

Couldn't tell, you, but the entry about them on the wiki I read was "Famous for having spent the most money on the game and having an unbeatable dungeon."

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The tomb itself was originally just an area in the game that they managed to take right? I thought it was pretty sweet that once they conquered it the game allowed them to modify it as well.

I think they made it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Anatharon posted:

Couldn't tell, you, but the entry about them on the wiki I read was "Famous for having spent the most money on the game and having an unbeatable dungeon."

I think they made it.

Nope it was a 6 floor raid/dungeon they conquered turned it into a guild headquarters. After which they modified it giving it 4 for floors. (This probably costed a hefty sum.) while modifying and making New NPC's as adds and bosses with the exception of the 4th floor guardian Gargantua , who is a bonus given to guilds for having a guild headquarters. Which they used as a guardian because of it's power. (Being the most powerful guardian, but it's simple in it's pattern and attacks making it pretty much a DPS check.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure what people were talking about with that dungeon creation stuff. They didn't build nazarick as a raid, so that people could come challenge it. It was always just the defenses of their guild hall. They needed it to be that elaborate because people kept trying to wipe them out and steal all their stuff. The specifics are just kinda weird because the guild members were kinda weird, which is how you end up with a battle maid squad and the even stranger npcs who may not be introduced.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm not sure what people were talking about with that dungeon creation stuff. They didn't build nazarick as a raid, so that people could come challenge it. It was always just the defenses of their guild hall. They needed it to be that elaborate because people kept trying to wipe them out and steal all their stuff. The specifics are just kinda weird because the guild members were kinda weird, which is how you end up with a battle maid squad and the even stranger npcs who may not be introduced.

Plus anyone who conquers it gets to be it's new owner.

But it's set up like a Dungeon/raid. With bosses and NPC defenders. Sebias and the Battle maids were intended to be the penultimate boss. Though Ainz reflect that no one ever got that far.

And while it is their guild base, one of the reason it was raided all the time was because they made it so elaborate and hard. Added on it is a game so defending their guild base is a fun thing to do.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of like Second Life minus the dicks, in that you had a great deal of freedom in what you could do, and they decided "hey, this really underused dungeon, let's build our guild base at the bottom of it" and then paid a ton to develop extra floors expanding on the original six dungeon floors down to 9 (I believe? 9 or 8 anyway) and spent a lot of resources to have guardians made and assigned them a floor to guard each with their own gimmicks and almost like a celebration of the ones who could get all the way.

Noones gotten past a certain floor which is guarded by the one guardian we've yet to see (I think it's like a sarlacc pit or something, but don't quote me on that)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I got the impression from the first episode that Albedo was supposed to be the final boss? Leader of the Guardians and all that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Effectively, she'd be the one standing with the guild members greeting the ones who got to the very end, I'd assume. Thing is, noone's never even gotten to Cocytus.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Imagining this game as Eve but with D&D instead of of space makes a lot of sense.

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 6, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Anatharon posted:

I did QA work on WildStar and even with cheats it was stupidly hard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

Effectively, she'd be the one standing with the guild members greeting the ones who got to the very end, I'd assume. Thing is, noone's never even gotten to Cocytus.

Cocytus has been beaten before. The 8th floor guy who we have not seen yet Victum has not been beaten and Aura and Mare have only been beaten once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Vengarr posted:

I got the impression from the first episode that Albedo was supposed to be the final boss? Leader of the Guardians and all that.

The entirety of the guild was the final boss if the other floors were wiped out.

Edit: From the LN:

quote:

Albedo was surprised and even Demiurge widened his eyes in surprise, clearly showing their inner feelings.

"Is it OK to let those servants enter the holy areas of the Supreme Master? Is it really necessary to go to such great lengths?”

The mentioned servants were not Ainz Ooal Gown members designed NPCs, but the game generated monsters.Thinking about it, with the exception of a very few, the 9th and 10th floors do not have any servants.
Momonga whispered to himself in a low voice.
Albedo thought that there is a sanctuary there, but that is not the case.
The reason why the 9th floor has no monsters is because if the strongest NPCs on the 8th floor were defeated, then the chances of Ainz Ooal Gown winning would be very low. So they might as well play the role of the bad guy and have one final confrontation in the throne room.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 6, 2015

• Locked thread