Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
How did you join the tracks? The instructions recommend hot-welding I think(?) but of course the joints won't fit together. I'm more and more willing to say gently caress it, cut the joints flat and just epoxy-glue them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Pierzak posted:

How did you join the tracks? The instructions recommend hot-welding I think(?) but of course the joints won't fit together. I'm more and more willing to say gently caress it, cut the joints flat and just epoxy-glue them.

Gorrila glue, reverse grip tweezers to clamp the ends together, and brute force. I had the tracks on the tank before I glued the ends together because it needed to be stretched a little to fit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never made a tank kit before but this thread really made me realize how awful tracks must be. Of all the types of scale model tracks who makes the least awful ones for a newbie?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
It's a bit hit and miss with the manufacturers. The best I've had are the 1:48 Tamiya ones, where the tracks are just plastic sections.

All the 1/35 trumpeter ones I've done have been individual links :psyduck:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

I've never made a tank kit before but this thread really made me realize how awful tracks must be. Of all the types of scale model tracks who makes the least awful ones for a newbie?

Dragon has one-piece ones for its 1/72 offerings that work quite well.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Sanguine posted:

All the 1/35 trumpeter ones I've done have been individual links :psyduck:

:stare:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

Staples :clint:

Vinyl tracks are seriously the worst and almost always a huge pain to join. I prefer plastic link to link even if it takes longer to make, the result looks infinitely better.

Baronjutter posted:

I had a Revell Pz35(t) and an Academy Hetzer with tracks that are plastic, but come in sections instead of single pieces. I think that would be okay for a newbie. There are also quick built 1:72ns kits for wargamers where the whole track is one piece.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am absolutely fine with vinyl tracks, but I am a weirdo so... yeah.

Congratulations to Troll Bridgington on being the man who proved that Airfix kits are quick builds. Well done that man.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Congratulations to Troll Bridgington on being the man who proved that Airfix kits are quick builds. Well done that man.

Honestly, I just have way too much time on my hand at the moment. At least this is a somewhat constructive and satisfying hobby. :sigh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Congrats on finishing yours before I started mine!

I went in and looked at it about 90 minutes ago (right after you posted your picture) and saw that indeed, as was posted by EE a while back, the gun has half a muzzle break and no hole for a shell to come out of. Jeez...

So I just spent a bit over an hour with tiny drills and files finishing out the muzzle break, and then broke out the calculator, and 122mm at 1/76 scale is just barely over 1.605mm, so I drilled a tiny pilot hole and then drilled the barrel with a 1.60mm drill.

So my tank is now officially started!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that's probably the most effort anyone ever put into an Airfix tank. I was just going to put some paste over it and paint it like a dust cover.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

The Locator posted:

Congrats on finishing yours before I started mine!

I went in and looked at it about 90 minutes ago (right after you posted your picture) and saw that indeed, as was posted by EE a while back, the gun has half a muzzle break and no hole for a shell to come out of. Jeez...

So I just spent a bit over an hour with tiny drills and files finishing out the muzzle break, and then broke out the calculator, and 122mm at 1/76 scale is just barely over 1.605mm, so I drilled a tiny pilot hole and then drilled the barrel with a 1.60mm drill.

So my tank is now officially started!

hahaha I figured there was supposed to be another side to the muzzle. I only drilled out the cannon hole on mine.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
My kit seems to have pretty slapdash mold registration, it's pretty obvious on the barrel and the gas cans. Is that typical or is mine extra special?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

:laugh: You have no idea how deep this rabithole goes.

There are several companies who make tracks that actually work.

Arquinsiel posted:

I am absolutely fine with vinyl tracks, but I am a weirdo so... yeah.

I'm fine with vinyl tracks, too. Most trouble I've had was one where I mangled the attachment tabs and ended up just using needle and thread. They actually don't look bad if you give em some heavy dirt treatment.

Speaking of which, I started building my JS-3, then got distracted and took my first ever attempt at powder pigment dirt fuckery, applied to my second ever tank.

A lot of you guys are better than me (and perhaps more importantly, way more patient) but I'm pretty happy with the result.

After I finished that, I started on the airfix kit, immediately broke the gun, and bodged together a replacement.

Also pictured: the reason that turret and the main hull is as far as I got.

Locator: you're wonderful, and insane.

Edit: I just realized I don't have a single model in progress shot that doesn't have alcohol in the frame.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 6, 2015

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Base Emitter posted:

My kit seems to have pretty slapdash mold registration, it's pretty obvious on the barrel and the gas cans. Is that typical or is mine extra special?

I have that too. I accidentally shaved down the nub that's supposed to help with barrel orientation because it had a major mold shift.
And the gas cans are horrible. One side empty, the other has random holes or weird black poo poo on it, and again, mold shift in the middle.

Other attractions:
- mold feeds for tracks are in the recesses :wtc:
- a huge mold feed(?) on the side of the machine gun
- part numbers on the outside of the undercarriage, because why place it on the otherside
- the barrel was already mentioned (drill your barrels! :vomarine:), but is mounted off-center.

Basically, the poster who suggested this kit can go sit on a cactus :argh:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 6, 2015

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:laugh: You have no idea how deep this rabithole goes.

There are several companies who make tracks that actually work.

Man those are nice looking. How long does it usually take to assemble something like that?

Okay. NOW I'm calling it done with this tank. Added some rust, some burnt umber washes, the decals, and a matt coat. Bonus pictures of babby tank's older brother model in the background.

Pierzak posted:

- part numbers on the outside of the undercarriage, because why place it on the otherside

This was my favorite feature of this kit. I didn't even realize the numbers were there until I had it assembled. :iamafag:

Comrade Stalin would be proud.

Troll Bridgington fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 6, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Troll Bridgington posted:

Man those are nice looking. How long does it usually take to assemble something like that?

Not that long really. I assembled some Fruils a while ago, and made a little jig to hold about 20 of them at a time. Once they're lined up, you just slip the wire in, glue the tip, and then snip the excess. Then I would join the sections afterword.

I'd say it probably takes a bit longer than some track types, but it's less of a hassle because you're not dealing with endless flash and mold lines. And of course the effort is worth it too, as you get perfect track sag, and a real metal finish you can chip through your paint to expose.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
These problems are entirely the point. It's through suffering that we become better at our craft :pseudo:

But srsly, the IS-3 is probably one of the worst Airfix kits, and I'm totally fine with that, making it not suck is half the fun.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Not that long really. I assembled some Fruils a while ago, and made a little jig to hold about 20 of them at a time. Once they're lined up, you just slip the wire in, glue the tip, and then snip the excess. Then I would join the sections afterword.

I'd say it probably takes a bit longer than some track types, but it's less of a hassle because you're not dealing with endless flash and mold lines. And of course the effort is worth it too, as you get perfect track sag, and a real metal finish you can chip through your paint to expose.

I got a set of panzer IV tracks that came with their own little jig. It was easy and painless enough that you could just go to your happy place and get it all done in one go. Which is what I did. Before realizing I'd been using way, way too much glue to hold the pins in and had actually glued the entire track run into one inflexible piece of tank bacon.

Arquinsiel posted:

These problems are entirely the point. It's through suffering that we become better at our craft :pseudo:

But srsly, the IS-3 is probably one of the worst Airfix kits, and I'm totally fine with that, making it not suck is half the fun.

Making it not suck, or alternatively embracing the suck and making a horrifying Mad Max battlewagon. :black101:

Troll: so you just slathered cement on the sides to get that texture? I love how it came out and will definitely be attempting the same.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The gun!

:v:

Man, macro super-sizing makes it look way rough.

I'm a speedy modeler, and should finish this sometime in December!

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Troll Bridgington posted:

Comrade Stalin would be proud.

Comrade Stalin would have had Airfix shot. :commissar:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Troll: so you just slathered cement on the sides to get that texture? I love how it came out and will definitely be attempting the same.

Yep! I slathered some cement on the surface, blew on it a couple times, and stippled it with the applicator brush until it looked right. I did a few coats of this in certain areas. I was using Tamiya thin cement, so the effect might have been a bit toned down because of that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mother tank and recently hatched young

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Also pictured: the reason that turret and the main hull is as far as I got.

Is that going to be an interpretation of the Ratte, or just a completely made up tank (Bolo!)? Also, is that kit-bashed, i.e. did you use the hull of something as the basis, or is it a scratch built hull with a Bismark/Tirpitz turret?

Edit: Doh, just saw the instruction book laying there was for that thing. I had no idea there was a kit for that.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 6, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What scale is the Ratte? I love that there are little Maus to go with it :allears:

The Locator posted:

The gun!

:v:

Man, macro super-sizing makes it look way rough.

I'm a speedy modeler, and should finish this sometime in December!
You are a loving wizard :stare:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

Oops my debit card turns out to be too old, so I can't buy a craptank until I get a new card next week.

Unless.....

*checks paypal balance*

I have two kits coming tomorrow, would you like me to post you one?

This is insane and you are insane. Just so people know I will be putting in nothing like this amount of effort and will be embracing the obvious flaws of this apparently dire kit and seeing how much a half decent paint job can hide.

big_g fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 6, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Arquinsiel posted:

What scale is the Ratte? I love that there are little Maus to go with it :allears:

1:144

It's a Tacom kit I found on scalemates then bought...somewhere. It took long enough to arrive that I'd forgotten I'd even bought it, and I can't seem to find the order in gmail or my credit bill.

I wish it had more visible hatches or other greebly things as it's a bit simple, and the scale of the handrails is wonky, but it's still a pretty cool kit.

Too bad I couldn't find one in 1:35 to go with my Dragon maus. :buddy:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Too bad I couldn't find one in 1:35 to go with my Dragon maus. :buddy:

You can get Schwerer Dora in 1/35, I don't see why they can't do a Ratte as well :colbert:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

NTRabbit posted:

You can get Schwerer Dora in 1/35, I don't see why they can't do a Ratte as well :colbert:

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD.

That second one is one to six.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD.

That second one is one to six.

All that effort and then he doesn't even rifle the barrel. 2/10. :v:

He had a 1/35 scale Dora, then a 1/16 scale Dora (the one shown on the page when you hit the link above), but of course needed a *bigger* Dora. I guess to go along with his 1/2 scale Tiger and the rest of his huge collection of Nazi war equipment models. To save others the effort of side-scrolling through a billion pictures to get to the completed 1/6 model.

Not shown - his 1/6 scale Hitler figure that stands on the model in many pictures.

It is one hell of a model, even if I don't really understand the point of making one so huge that it requires it's own building and can't be moved to be shown anywhere without a multi-day dis-assembly and rebuild on site.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1yprwy97p4

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Locator posted:

It is one hell of a model, even if I don't really understand the point of making one so huge that it requires it's own building and can't be moved to be shown anywhere without a multi-day dis-assembly and rebuild on site.

Because building a model that can double as an actual light artillery piece is cool as hell?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because building a model that can double as an actual light artillery piece is cool as hell?

Not sure an 8" (eyeball estimate from photos) gun would be considered light artillery!

I get that the 'building' part of modelling is fun, I'm just not sure I see the point in going this big is all. More power to the guy if he enjoys it (obviously he does), was just saying that it doesn't make much sense to my brain. And I want to someday make a 1/48 model of the Surprise, which would be something like 5' long, or one of the 1/200 scale battleships that end up being about that size also. Still, they are small enough that I could move them to a new house if I wanted to, or take them to a show or whatever.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This guy is going to build a bigger scale model of his house at 1/1 and live in it

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

big_g posted:

I have two kits coming tomorrow, would you like me to post you one?

Thank you for the kind offer. Are you in the US? I'm in Europe, so I don't know how much shipping would be. If you could check the shipping and you have paypal, I could send over some money to cover the kit and the shipping.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

lilljonas posted:

Thank you for the kind offer. Are you in the US? I'm in Europe, so I don't know how much shipping would be. If you could check the shipping and you have paypal, I could send over some money to cover the kit and the shipping.

I'm in the UK so that works out well.

Send me your address to ggaskell at gmail dot com don't bother about sending the money over it was only like £5, hopefully if it comes I should be able to post it tomorrow.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

big_g posted:

I'm in the UK so that works out well.

Send me your address to ggaskell at gmail dot com don't bother about sending the money over it was only like £5, hopefully if it comes I should be able to post it tomorrow.

That's terribly kind of you. e-mail sent, let's get this on the road!

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The Locator posted:

All that effort and then he doesn't even rifle the barrel. 2/10. :v:

He had a 1/35 scale Dora, then a 1/16 scale Dora (the one shown on the page when you hit the link above), but of course needed a *bigger* Dora. I guess to go along with his 1/2 scale Tiger and the rest of his huge collection of Nazi war equipment models. To save others the effort of side-scrolling through a billion pictures to get to the completed 1/6 model.

Not shown - his 1/6 scale Hitler figure that stands on the model in many pictures.

I recently saw it in person in the Liberty Park museum in Overloon ( where the only big tank battle in the Netherlands was fought in 1944 during/just after Market Garden). It's really something else to see in person, it's HUGE but so awesome!

The whole museum is awesome by the way so if you are in the area you should definately visit it. They have loads of weapons and vehicles, among which a Panther, T-35-85, Hetzer (which is loving tiny), B-25, FT-17 and a shitton of Allied vehicles. If you can go to the Militracks event where you can hitch a ride on a forest parkour on Kettenkrads, Sd.kfz 251's Sd.Kfz 7s etc etc for a few euros. This year there was even a running Stug III G and it was awesome to see in person.

e: some vid of this years Militracks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDarVAxA0w4

Molentik fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 6, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Molentik posted:

I recently saw it in person in the Liberty Park museum in Overloon ( where the only big tank battle in the Netherlands was fought in 1944 during/just after Market Garden). It's really something else to see in person, it's HUGE but so awesome!

The whole museum is awesome by the way so if you are in the area you should definately visit it. They have loads of weapons and vehicles, among which a Panther, T-35-85, Hetzer (which is loving tiny), B-25, FT-17 and a shitton of Allied vehicles. If you can go to the Militracks event where you can hitch a ride on a forest parkour on Kettenkrads, Sd.kfz 251's Sd.Kfz 7s etc etc for a few euros. This year there was even a running Stug III G and it was awesome to see in person.

Having it go to a museum makes a lot more sense to me. The build log made it look like it was installed in a run-down barn in the guys yard. Glad it's somewhere that people can actually look at it and enjoy it. Does it have the little Hitler figure on it saluting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

I've just realised what's been bugging me in the back of my mind about my German armoured car since I got it.

It's not actually an armoured car at all...It's a little tank!